Daily Fix - No Hot Water at CBR

Ironically, their toddler son threw up around midnight last night due to overindulging at dinner...and he needed to take a bath because he did it in bed all over himself. They had to call housekeeping for new sheets. I shudder to think how that would have gone down at CBR.

The first reservation they made at CBR was for a preferred room, and the POFQ was just a standard room so I think that contributed to the lower price of POFQ. Regardless, they actually added another night since POFQ was so much less. When she told me about CBR, she said "It just says there will be some construction noise between 9am and 5pm and the pool will be closed but that is okay because it will probably be too cold to swim." I had to tell her about the tent food court, lack of main building shops and amenities, intermittent power and water outages, etc. Thank goodness I listen to the podcast and knew about it!

Needless to say, they are VERY happy they weren't at CBR last night. And it was hot yesterday and all her kids wanted to do was go back to the hotel and swim. LOL!
What a coincidence! I am sure they are very grateful that you listen to the podcast and gave them the heads up.

Only some construction noise from 9am-5pm:rotfl2:

We are staying there in August. I REALLY hope Disney has CBR all fixed up by then, but IF they still don't have the resort up to real Disney standards, I hope they at LEAST compensate guests with some fast passes, a free meal or something. We have some very young and old on the trip and we DID pay over $200 a night - I am getting very concerned hearing about just how bad the situation is over there. As DLgal says, the impression I got when we booked was that the construction work would be "minimal" and barely noticed, if it's still like this come August 2018, I think a free night is a bit too much to ask for, but hope Disney will offer some type of offsetting compensation (as I said fastpasses etc I think would be appropriate)...

You should do a trip report after your stay there. Regardless of the blatant indecency Disney has for guests staying at a resort under major construction, I hope you have a wonderful vacation!

We are staying there in August. I REALLY hope Disney has CBR all fixed up by then, but IF they still don't have the resort up to real Disney standards, I hope they at LEAST compensate guests with some fast passes, a free meal or something. We have some very young and old on the trip and we DID pay over $200 a night - I am getting very concerned hearing about just how bad the situation is over there. As DLgal says, the impression I got when we booked was that the construction work would be "minimal" and barely noticed, if it's still like this come August 2018, I think a free night is a bit too much to ask for, but hope Disney will offer some type of offsetting compensation (as I said fastpasses etc I think would be appropriate)...

Only my opinion, but I think if you know about what's going on (like the fact that there might not even be hot water), it's awfully hard to show up and complain and ask for free stuff when you get there and it's still being renovated. If you're concerned it won't be satisfactory, you've still got time to change. But I hope they're done with their construction by the time you get there.

The simple fact that the food court is in a tent would send me into orbit, if I was surprised by it. And now no hot water? This isn't summer camp and these people are not paying summer camp prices! Absolutely UNacceptable!!!

I can’t believe there’s no hot water and no compensation. Granted, guests were notified at least somewhat in advance. We had a power outage at the Poly (DVC Studio) after we had left for the park for the day that lasted about 6-8 hours, and we received a huge credit to our room.

Can they even hold an occupancy permit if there is not hot water?

Disney does put a disclaimer when booking that the resort is undergoing work. Obviously that isn’t deterring people though.

Until this post, The disclaimer, "the resort is undergoing work" to me, I was thinking maybe construction walls, construction noise, things like pools, restaurants closed, but until this post, I did not think that included no hot water in ROOMS DISNEY RENTED OUT AND ARE OCCUPIED!! Maybe its just me.

last summer, some people who had booked CBR with disney.uk found out about the extent of construction..

they called disney.uk to complain, requesting that their reservation be moved - given that they hadn't been notified as to how significant it would be...

in the end, disney.uk changed their reservations to different resorts....

if you go over to the UK disboard, you'll probably find posts from that time....as people started to find out...

Apparently there was no hot water again last night. And people were defending Disney on some CBR groups saying that it’s not a huge deal. If I paid that much for a room and had no hot water for 2 nights in a row, I’d be furious.

Apparently there was no hot water again last night. And people were defending Disney on some CBR groups saying that it’s not a huge deal. If I paid that much for a room and had no hot water for 2 nights in a row, I’d be furious.

OMG - that is just awful! I would be livid!

Perhaps another question is what if there is no water at all? It happened to us 2 days in a row at OKW (4 hours, middle of the day). Notice was given to us the day before.

There is absolutely no issue of any kind with occupancy permit for repairs or maintenance. Disney is taking reasonable provisions and having the work done overnight to reduce the impact on guests. They are notifying guests in advance of the planned activity. I think this hyperbolic response by people who are not even being impacted by this in any way is kind of ridiculous. Hotels have to do maintenance and repairs all the time. To blindly suggest that every hotel that ever does maintenance should close is not living in the real world.

I would not be surprised if Disney knows exactly how much hot water gets used during those house and knows full well the actual guest impact (not the projected impact) will be negligible.

There is absolutely no issue of any kind with occupancy permit for repairs or maintenance. Disney is taking reasonable provisions and having the work done overnight to reduce the impact on guests. They are notifying guests in advance of the planned activity. I think this hyperbolic response by people who are not even being impacted by this in any way is kind of ridiculous. Hotels have to do maintenance and repairs all the time. To blindly suggest that every hotel that ever does maintenance should close is not living in the real world.

I would not be surprised if Disney knows exactly how much hot water gets used during those house and knows full well the actual guest impact (not the projected impact) will be negligible.

i doubt you would be so sanguine about the situation if it were you paying $225/night (the rate i just came up with when trying to book a room at CBR online) for a supposed disney resort where you have to eat in a tent (rain or shine), may or may not have hot water, telephones (watch the disunplugged video from a while back describing current conditions), etc.

i doubt you would be so sanguine about the situation if it were you paying $225/night (the rate i just came up with when trying to book a room at CBR online) for a supposed disney resort where you have to eat in a tent (rain or shine), may or may not have hot water, telephones (watch the disunplugged video from a while back describing current conditions), etc.

I was not responding to the construction going on at the resort, but to the topic of the thread which was the lack of hot water overnight at the resort. If you do not want to stay at a resort because it's under a scheduled renovation then that is certainly your right to do so, and completely understandable. However, the ranting that is going on about a maintenance event that appears to have come up suddenly due to the limited advance notice that required shutting off the hot water overnight is a little over the top. The topic of the hotel being under renovation and the hot water off overnight are separate topics that just happened to occur at the same location and conflating them just to feed a negative narrative isn't appropriate.

I stayed in a hotel in TN last month where I got a notice under the door one morning that the water was going to be turned off from 10A to 4P that same day. Not just the hot water, all water; they had to perform emergency repairs. Expecting the hotel to evacuate every single guest and accommodate them somewhere else due to something like lack of overnight hot water is (I'm sorry) just ridiculous. And demanding compensation for lack of hot water in the overnight hours is also ridiculous. The same people complaining about this would be losing their minds if the hotel told them they all need to give up a half day of their visit and pack up their things and move to a different resort/room in the middle of their vacation which is what some people are advocating.

If you do not want to deal with the construction I understand, but suggesting that the hotel should be shut down because they needed to do emergency maintenance on the hot water system overnight is just over the top and not realistic.

I was not responding to the construction going on at the resort, but to the topic of the thread which was the lack of hot water overnight at the resort. If you do not want to stay at a resort because it's under a scheduled renovation then that is certainly your right to do so, and completely understandable. However, the ranting that is going on about a maintenance event that appears to have come up suddenly due to the limited advance notice that required shutting off the hot water overnight is a little over the top. The topic of the hotel being under renovation and the hot water off overnight are separate topics that just happened to occur at the same location and conflating them just to feed a negative narrative isn't appropriate.

I stayed in a hotel in TN last month where I got a notice under the door one morning that the water was going to be turned off from 10A to 4P that same day. Not just the hot water, all water; they had to perform emergency repairs. Expecting the hotel to evacuate every single guest and accommodate them somewhere else due to something like lack of overnight hot water is (I'm sorry) just ridiculous. And demanding compensation for lack of hot water in the overnight hours is also ridiculous. The same people complaining about this would be losing their minds if the hotel told them they all need to give up a half day of their visit and pack up their things and move to a different resort/room in the middle of their vacation which is what some people are advocating.

If you do not want to deal with the construction I understand, but suggesting that the hotel should be shut down because they needed to do emergency maintenance on the hot water system overnight is just over the top and not realistic.
I have not wanted to comment previously, due to possible flames (yes - I "moused out"), but I must say this sentiment is very well stated, and I agree.

I thought what Disney did in the beginning was a bit shabby - not notifying those staying there how badly they were going to be affected, etc. - but - MUCH time has gone on, and even I (with no "vested interest" because i'm not going to be staying there - if I were, I would have been online 24/7, reading/looking at EVERYTHING I COULD to see the affects - and - either switched my ressie to somewhere else, or decided to "accept the risk" of staying there") have seen PLENTY of videos/stories, etc. how "bad" things are. If - knowing all that - you still choose to stay here, despite not being very well compensated by Disney in terms of a discount, etc. - sorry - it's on you.

As far as the hot water goes - does it suck? Yes - I fully agree with that thought. Should they do maybe "something" (somebody suggested a fast pass, maybe some free beverages or something, etc.) - I also think "yes". But - 1 night - 7 hours - with water, just not HOT water - to pay absolutely NOTHING for your hotel room? (Again - not considering the food court in a tent, no shops, etc. - since the person staying the room STILL decided to stay here - knowing this WELL in advance- I believe the legal term used for this is "accepting an assigned risk"?). That thought is totally ludicrous to me.

Last edited:
I have not wanted to comment previously, due to possible flames (yes - I "moused out"), but I must say this sentiment is very well stated, and I agree.

I thought what Disney did in the beginning was a bit shabby - not notifying those staying there how badly they were going to be affected, etc. - but - MUCH time has gone on, and even I (with no "vested interest" because i'm not going to be staying there - if I were, I would have been online 24/7, reading/looking at EVERYTHING I COULD to see the affects - and - either switched my ressie to somewhere else, or decided to "accept the risk" of staying there") have seen PLENTY of videos/stories, etc. how "bad" things are. If - knowing all that - you still choose to stay here, despite not being very well compensated by Disney in terms of a discount, etc. - sorry - it's on you.

As far as the hot water goes - does it suck? Yes - I fully agree with that thought. Should they do maybe "something" (somebody suggested a fast pass, maybe some free beverages or something, etc.) - I also think "yes". But - 1 night - 7 hours - with water, just not HOT water - to pay absolutely NOTHING for your hotel room? (Again - not considering the food court in a tent, no shops, etc. - since the person staying the room STILL decided to stay here - knowing this WELL in advance- I believe the legal term used for this is "accepting an assigned risk"?). That thought is totally ludicrous to me.
Yeah, I kind of agree, as I said, as far as I am concerned a free night is a BIT much - and I wouldn't expect or even ask for this, but I think a meal or fastpass would certainly be warranted for something on the scale of no water or no hot water. Do we know that there will be construction? Yes, but the impression I was led to believe was that it would be very minimal and barely noticeable. I also felt that since we booked so far into the future that there was a good chance they would have most of it 'wrapped up' by then in any case. I heard somewhere that the food court area is expected to be finished BEFORE July 2018 (anyone know if this is the case)?

Why is the resort open? Tents for a dining hall, construction around the clock, and odd and end things to come up...I mean I’d hate if this was my first Disney experience in a resort.

I stay off site anyway, but If I we’re paying the Disney prices I’d expect Disney Magic.

While it isn't ideal I did a search to try and find laws regarding this.

I couldn't find anything specific in the Florida legislation saying Disney did anything wrong here. Someone probably more familiar with Florida and Florida law would be better suited but Disney did file permits and notices of commencement for these projects which complies with that aspect. Disney also notified guests in advance of the loss of hot water which likely complies with laws there too.

Surely the Disney we know and love could have done better with this situation but I don't believe they broke any rules either. I know Disney in the past has done things overnight at other resorts and had to shut off power or water or stuff like that for a very short period of time. I haven't found an instance where Disney hasn't sent out something in advance about that either. It definitely is a less than ideal situation though.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!