*Daily Scooter Rental at Parks or Weekly Rental Outside??

DisneyaHolic23

DIS Veteran
We are taking my MIL and FIL to Disney World for their first time ever - they are in their 80's and want to do this trip with us before they are no longer able. Although they can walk a very short amount, a scooter will allow them to enjoy the park fully (my husband is worried that the walk from the bus to the front gate will be their daily capacity).

So, having read many of the threads on this list, I am trying to decide if we should simply rent scooters from an outside agency for the entire week, or try to get them at each park.

Things I am considering:
*We plan to stay on the Boardwalk, so a visit to Epcot means getting from the International Parkway to the front of the park where rentals occur;
*Getting on and off transportation is more difficult with a scooter;
*We are not guaranteed a scooter at each park;

What else should we consider? Thanks for all input!

DisneyaHolic23 said:
We are taking my MIL and FIL to Disney World for their first time ever - they are in their 80's and want to do this trip with us before they are no longer able. Although they can walk a very short amount, a scooter will allow them to enjoy the park fully (my husband is worried that the walk from the bus to the front gate will be their daily capacity).

So, having read many of the threads on this list, I am trying to decide if we should simply rent scooters from an outside agency for the entire week, or try to get them at each park.

Things I am considering:
*We plan to stay on the Boardwalk, so a visit to Epcot means getting from the International Parkway to the front of the park where rentals occur;
*Getting on and off transportation is more difficult with a scooter;
*We are not guaranteed a scooter at each park;

What else should we consider? Thanks for all input!

Hi, Disneyholic23. Staying at the Boarwalk allows you to take the boat launch to the Epcot International Gateway, and you can rent your wheelchair, scooter, stoller right there and not go all of the way to the front of Epcot.

I say rent a scooter from an outide agency. Staying at the Boardwalk allows you to go to two parks using the boat launch at Epcot and MGM, instead of using the bus.

She can tour the Boardwalk in the evening on her own and enjoy the lake and night lights and activities.

I have done both ...
I perfer off site ( I used Randy's Great service)... So much easier , I never had any problems with transportation the bus drivers are so helpful ..

In addition to the other reasons, the Disney ECVs have just gone up in rental price by $5.00 per day. The payment is still $40, but the refund on returning the ECV and key is down from $10 to $5.

Storage of scooters at your room can make it difficult for multiple scooters; it's not impossible, but it is difficult to manuever around in the room with scooters there. I'm not saying you will have a bus problem, but fitting two scooters on at the same time is harder than one; you may end up waiting for another bus to stay together and I find that to be a drag.

For renting at the parks, you need to get to the parks when they open; so, you can secure two scooters without Disney running out. You can even park hop on the same rental each day, but you do need to turn them in and get new ones at the other park. Now, you can find a problem with getting a rental at the second park depending on the time of the day. We had to wait a few times, but usually no longer than 20 minutes. My husband is 69 and needs a scooter, too; he's diabetic.

We are taking my MIL (88) in October for the first time. There may be other hints for the elderly, but I would bring night lights for the room. I'm giving my MIL a list of things to remember to bring with her like her meds, etc. I would plan what rides you are going on and discussing the same with his parents. We are doing more shows and live entertainment than rides, perse. We are taking a lot of rests in the park by having lunch and dinner there and doing sit-down shows. We are doing naps most days, as well. We will return to the parks after the parades when I think it will be easier to get a scooter rental, again.

If both parents are car drivers, they should be alright with scooters. If not, I suggest practicing with a scooter at a larger store like a Super Wal-Mart, etc. before you go. I'm a little scared that my MIL will not pay attention good enough and hurt someone in the park. My best suggestion there is to take it real slow where there are crowds. We will wait after fireworks, etc. until the park thins out to manuever out. I'm a little apprehensive about it all but we will adjust, as necessary. If worse comes to worse, we will go the wheelchair way, but it will be very hard for us pushing it all day. If your in-laws are in decent shape you may not have any issues. Many seniors enjoy Disney all the time. My MIL doesn't get out much; so, I'm a little more scared about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter