Dark Side 1/2 marathon

osopecoso

Registered
Signed up for this race next year. Plan on staying at either boardwalk or at Bay lake tower. Few questions. Anyone prefer one resort over another or is any resort fine on property. Reason why I chose those 2 are for convenience. From what I understand, the race passes by boardwalk. This will allow my wife and daughter to see me run by but may be difficult for them to get to the finish. Bay lake due to it being on the monorail line. Does the race go anywhere near bay lake. Will the monorails be running that morning allowing my family to take a monorail to Epcot and see me finish? Sorry for all the questions. This is my first Disney race.

Another question, anywhere online where I can find a coarse map?

The course map for 2018 won't be out until closer to the actual race.

If they follow this past years race I believe the start is in the MK parking lot. The monorails do not run for race start but depending on how long you take maybe at finish. Not likely to transport them to the finish though. I can't remember if it ran past the Contempo or not.

are they known for repeating the coarse from one year to another? If it finishes at Epcot, was assuming they can just take the monorail to Epcot. Wonder if busses will be running after start.

are they known for repeating the coarse from one year to another? If it finishes at Epcot, was assuming they can just take the monorail to Epcot. Wonder if busses will be running after start.

They usually follow the same course but have changed it before especially when a race is as new as this. It will depend on construction honestly.

Buses might be running depending on park hours. There should be a spectator bus that will take them to the finish. Again it really will depend how fast of a runner you are and what corral you are in. Elites and probably corals A-C won't see regular bus operations yet. But if you are a back of the pack runner your family may very well have regular Disney transport available.

Last year was the first time they used that course and who knows if they will again. I would guess so but what they do for Wine & Dine might be a good indication. As already said, the monorail was not available for Dark Side. The course did not go by Bay Lake Tower and technically didn't go by the Board Walk hotel either but your family could just walk over to Beach Club area or path between that area and Hollywood Studios. That would probably be the easiest viewing area for your family to see you. I've heard the finish line isn't great unless you have the Cheer Squad package.

If it is the same as this years spectators can board the buses along with runners from EPCOT to the start line in the MK parking lot to see the runners off and then get the same buses back to EPCOT to see them finish. This is what my wife did.

So can anyone drive to Epcot, pull into the parking lot and walk over to the finish?

I run many races and can be in one of the first corrals but will be running with a buddy who will be running their first half marathon. He is going to be in one of the last corrals. Not worrying about time in this race since I am running a marathon the following weekend in Vegas.

Basically would like to see my family somewhere in the race and at the finish, if that is possible due to my 3.5 year old traveling with us.

So can anyone drive to Epcot, pull into the parking lot and walk over to the finish?

I run many races and can be in one of the first corrals but will be running with a buddy who will be running their first half marathon. He is going to be in one of the last corrals. Not worrying about time in this race since I am running a marathon the following weekend in Vegas.

Basically would like to see my family somewhere in the race and at the finish, if that is possible due to my 3.5 year old traveling with us.

Are you going to have a car? If so, then your best bet for seeing them during the race and at the finish may be Animal Kingdom parking lot and then have them drive to Epcot for finish. Might be a chore with road closures but that's what I could think of from remembering this year's Dark Side. Hopefully someone might pop in with a better suggestion.

Here's 2017 event guide, http://rodale-usa.instantmagazine.com/rundisney/dwswdshm042317#!/cover
it has the map and bus/transportation information if you are a runner or spectator, so that might help you. Of course as others said who knows if the course will stay the same, but it should be similar I would think.

Yes, anyone can drive to EPCOT (parking is just like if parking for the park) and see the finish.

Yeah I agree with Croach's idea, if they have a car they could see you at AK parking lot then drive to EPCOT finish. I really don't remember seeing many, if any, spectators during the Darkside at AK parking lot, so not sure on road closures and such.

Seems like there's always a few people on Osceola cheering after AK. I think they must park at McDonald's and walk up there, not sure if cops/security get after people, but I've seen them.

Otherwise they could see you at Beach club (10k went by Boardwalk & Half by Beach Club) then book it through the International Gateway and back out the front over to the finish and maybe if you slow down, see you finish. But unless you slow way down and they run I don't know if this would work.

Other option is they go with you to the start if still at TTC and see the start then bus to the resort and to EPCOT (unless a bus directly to EPCOT which there may be from TTC, I can't remember, it may say in the guide).

Here's 2017 event guide, http://rodale-usa.instantmagazine.com/rundisney/dwswdshm042317#!/cover
it has the map and bus/transportation information if you are a runner or spectator, so that might help you. Of course as others said who knows if the course will stay the same, but it should be similar I would think.

Yes, anyone can drive to EPCOT (parking is just like if parking for the park) and see the finish.

Yeah I agree with Croach's idea, if they have a car they could see you at AK parking lot then drive to EPCOT finish. I really don't remember seeing many, if any, spectators during the Darkside at AK parking lot, so not sure on road closures and such.

Seems like there's always a few people on Osceola cheering after AK. I think they must park at McDonald's and walk up there, not sure if cops/security get after people, but I've seen them.

Otherwise they could see you at Beach club (10k went by Boardwalk & Half by Beach Club) then book it through the International Gateway and back out the front over to the finish and maybe if you slow down, see you finish. But unless you slow way down and they run I don't know if this would work.

Other option is they go with you to the start if still at TTC and see the start then bus to the resort and to EPCOT (unless a bus directly to EPCOT which there may be from TTC, I can't remember, it may say in the guide).
Ok Good. We may be staying at Animal Kingdom afterall so they can possibly see me there and drive over or take a bus to the finish and see the end. Did not realize it went by animal kingdom and I was under the impression roads were closed during the race but that would not make sense with all the visitors going to the park early.

Yeah, You run through AK and through the parking lot, so they may be able to see you in the parking lot, not the park as it won't be open most likely when you go throuh. Not all roads are closed as I remember seeing cars drive by, they'll close off like off some of the lanes and have cones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!