DAS and character meets

lolcow

Mouseketeer
hello, it is my understanding you can only get a DAS return for characters with FP+, is this right? So, for Joy and Sadness in Epcot, you couldn’t get a return? Thanks in advance.

hello, it is my understanding you can only get a DAS return for characters with FP+, is this right? So, for Joy and Sadness in Epcot, you couldn’t get a return? Thanks in advance.
it has been awhile but that was correct at the time we were there

Yes, you can only do meet and greets that have a FP return time, so for joy and sadness, they do not have a FP so no return time. I would try and go when they first start to meet when the line should not be that long.

another thing you can do is stop by Gust relation and let them know how this affect your child ( or the person using the DAS) so they know more people are missing things because of a disability

It has to be characters with FP, but if you talk to the Cast Member who is doing line Control, there may be some ability to be flexible. For example, having part of your group wait in the line while part waits outside of the line (but nearby) with your child.
When those waiting in one get close to the front, you would join them.
Whether or not this would work depends on the attraction and is at discretion of the CM.

Back in the GAC days, I had my special needs nephew with me at FOTLK at the old location. As we came out, he sees a Chip and Dale meet n greet. He gets away from me and heads straight up the three steps (i.e., the exit) to hug Chip. I'm grabbing at his shirttails, trying to catch him, and the handler sees the red GAC card hanging around my neck in my lanyard. It blew me away when she told me it was okay, just let him be. Well, he was there for about 2 seconds and then very loudly asked "Where's Alvin?" Yeah, I hustled him away PDQ, but I still love that handler to this day. I know it wasn't fair on the rest of the queue, but we were so quick and everyone laughed about the Alvin comment, so I think they we okay with it.

Reactions: cm8
Back in the GAC days, I had my special needs nephew with me at FOTLK at the old location. As we came out, he sees a Chip and Dale meet n greet. He gets away from me and heads straight up the three steps (i.e., the exit) to hug Chip. I'm grabbing at his shirttails, trying to catch him, and the handler sees the red GAC card hanging around my neck in my lanyard. It blew me away when she told me it was okay, just let him be. Well, he was there for about 2 seconds and then very loudly asked "Where's Alvin?" Yeah, I hustled him away PDQ, but I still love that handler to this day. I know it wasn't fair on the rest of the queue, but we were so quick and everyone laughed about the Alvin comment, so I think they we okay with it.
We’re the Chipmunks! :rotfl2: That’s pretty funny!

This is definitely something we've come up against. The Merida meet at MK does not have FP+ so we were unable to use our DAS for it. I explained (very briefly) to the CMs there the reason that my daughter had the DAS and was therefore unable to wait in the line and asked if it would be okay if I waited by myself while my DH and DD waited in Cosmic Rays (where they could see the line). We were allowed to do that. DH and DD joined us right before they let us in. So you can try explaining the situation to the CM and see if they will let someone wait without the DAS person until closer to the time when they are ready to meet.

Yes, you can only do meet and greets that have a FP return time, so for joy and sadness, they do not have a FP so no return time. I would try and go when they first start to meet when the line should not be that long.

another thing you can do is stop by Gust relation and let them know how this affect your child ( or the person using the DAS) so they know more people are missing things because of a disability

But in order to give access to someone with a DAS, that would mean one other group (who waited in the queue) wouldn't get access. Unlike ride attractions, the characters that meet out in the parks (without FP+) have a limited time they can be out, by contract. So there's a set amount of guests they can meet - they usually cut off the line at a certain point. If they allowed DAS, the queue could be completely DAS guests, and guests without DAS would not have access. It's a first-come, first-served, very limited situation. They'd have to have a CM only accept DAS requests at a certain time, and you'd have to show up at exactly the right time, or else others would not get access either. So since that is pretty impossible, they really can't do more than allow one member to hold a space for the group. I guess they could do it like JTA and have a character sign up in the morning, but with all the characters out there, they'd have to limit how many you could sign up for, etc.

Think of it like the Cars ride at CA - the amount of people with GAC made it impossible for others to experience the attraction - the small group saturated the wait times and it was crazy.

But in order to give access to someone with a DAS, that would mean one other group (who waited in the queue) wouldn't get access. Unlike ride attractions, the characters that meet out in the parks (without FP+) have a limited time they can be out, by contract. So there's a set amount of guests they can meet - they usually cut off the line at a certain point. If they allowed DAS, the queue could be completely DAS guests, and guests without DAS would not have access. It's a first-come, first-served, very limited situation. They'd have to have a CM only accept DAS requests at a certain time, and you'd have to show up at exactly the right time, or else others would not get access either. So since that is pretty impossible, they really can't do more than allow one member to hold a space for the group. I guess they could do it like JTA and have a character sign up in the morning, but with all the characters out there, they'd have to limit how many you could sign up for, etc.

Think of it like the Cars ride at CA - the amount of people with GAC made it impossible for others to experience the attraction - the small group saturated the wait times and it was crazy.

1 I said that lines with FP you can use the DAS most of these have a few rooms and the characters only take a few minutes breaks so the lines never really stop for that long, 2 for lines without I suggested the OP go first thing when they start meeting this is normally the shortest wait ( so not sure how this could be any different than someone without a disability just that the line is shorter and more doable for people with a hard time waiting in line) 3 I also suggested going to GR and letting them know about the difficulting with meet and greet, Yes it is a first come forst serve I have gone to quite a few with shorter lines ( they are the only ones I can do and I have been told the line is closed) I can count on one had how many meet and greets that did not have FP and I have tried to do a number of them. I do think Disney should do something so everyone has a chance to do the meet and greet if they could link it to the MB ( long story I was there the first day the MB was started and some of the CM maniger asked me if I would help them see how fair they could scan my band and in some places it was pretty fairway) so if they could link it to the MB then the guest could only be in one line at a time, and your return time would be just like one of the shows that you can get a DAS return time and your return time is for a specific show. and they could go firther and only let people that are alone or j do not have two adults where one could wait in line and one wait with the Disabled person,

1 I said that lines with FP you can use the DAS most of these have a few rooms and the characters only take a few minutes breaks so the lines never really stop for that long, 2 for lines without I suggested the OP go first thing when they start meeting this is normally the shortest wait ( so not sure how this could be any different than someone without a disability just that the line is shorter and more doable for people with a hard time waiting in line) 3 I also suggested going to GR and letting them know about the difficulting with meet and greet, Yes it is a first come forst serve I have gone to quite a few with shorter lines ( they are the only ones I can do and I have been told the line is closed) I can count on one had how many meet and greets that did not have FP and I have tried to do a number of them. I do think Disney should do something so everyone has a chance to do the meet and greet if they could link it to the MB ( long story I was there the first day the MB was started and some of the CM maniger asked me if I would help them see how fair they could scan my band and in some places it was pretty fairway) so if they could link it to the MB then the guest could only be in one line at a time, and your return time would be just like one of the shows that you can get a DAS return time and your return time is for a specific show. and they could go firther and only let people that are alone or j do not have two adults where one could wait in line and one wait with the Disabled person,

It's not possible to set up the non-FP character locations to Magic Bands

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter