DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I’m right there with you. My daughter has epilepsy and if she were to have a seizure in one of the long winding lines, it would be difficult to get her out of line or get help to her quickly. It is sad this change is necessary to alleviate a burden created by those who abuse it. What’s to keep abuse from happening now? Perhaps documentation should be required like Universal now does.
Epilepsy seems like a developmental disorder that will likely still qualify.

But I guess nobody knows for sure. Regardless, it should qualify for some accommodation.

Sad for those who legitimately need the DAS but now may not get it. I still can't understand the no proof of documents needed though.
Legitimately needing accommodations and legitimately needing DAS are two different things. Disney is finally going back to recognizing that while DAS is indeed needed for some disabilities, it’s overkill for others.

Legitimately needing accommodations and legitimately needing DAS are two different things. Disney is finally going back to recognizing that while DAS is indeed needed for some disabilities, it’s overkill for others.
Wonder why the no proof of documents needed and such?

I hear what you are saying, but it assumes a DAS-holder is near the attraction and/or ready to enter the queue. It would preclude one from obtaining a DAS Return Time just before stopping at First Aid to attend to a disability need, or stop for a snack and bring up a blood sugar low. DAS-holders may have multiple disabilities, one which makes them eligible for DAS but also comorbidities like diabetes. Restricting their access to schedule a Return Time and then take care of their disability needs would be discriminatory.
Agree
I can understand this perspective as well but I feel like you could have the option to explain why you/they need to be able to book a return regardless of the wait time?

This restriction would not apply if you explain that you need to be able to schedule/plan your day in order for an accommodation to work for you. This could apply to your example of attending to needs related to a disability or someone with a DD who needs to plan their day and follow through with plans. These people would not have a restriction placed on their account for a minimum wait time that would make DAS available, but for some people this restriction would be fine.
There are people who can go from attraction to attraction, but as lanejudy mentioned, there are also people with co-morbidities they are often dealing with instead of doing other attractions. I need to catheterize my daughter about every 3 hours, so we have always be thinking about what we are doing and how it fits into our clock. We have other care related things, feeding, giving medication, etc.
A lot of scenarios have been thrown out assuming most DAS users are attempting to maximize their number of rides compared to other guests.

Can everyone not claim autism with no proof needed? What am I missing?
This is a legitimate concern, however, I think the biggest red flag will likely be someone starting with “he/she is autistic” but they’re unable to answer additional questions like why that makes it difficult to queue.

I’m sure some people who want to abuse DAS will do the necessary research but you’d be amazed how many times I see people at all kinds of theme parks thinking “he/she is autistic” alone is enough of an explanation without going into that person’s particular needs.

Stating autism should not automatically get you DAS. You’ll need to go into more detail and answer questions they have for you, more than likely in more detail than before these changes happened. They may try to see if an alternate accommodation could work for you or not and if not you’ll have to explain why it won’t.

Will people still get away with falsely claiming they’re autistic? Of course. This is why some of us (particularly those under the DD umbrella) would prefer showing proof. It seems Disney is looking to avoid taking that step if at all possible though and are instead having a medical team help them determine if someone should qualify for DAS. We don’t know how much this will curb abuse until they start the new process, however. Especially since you certainly can’t always “see” if someone is autistic, especially when they are in a safe place at home.

There have been reports on this forum from people in the past who have tried to get a DAS who have multiple potentially qualifying conditions, and while the person is explaining their needs re: the first, the CM decides it does not qualify and shuts the conversation down; the person never gets to bring up the other needs. This has happened with both the chat/video system and with in person CM at the parks.

Maybe it doesn't happen often, but it does happen, and likely will still happen, so one very legitly could be calling back with a seemingly "new" issue because one got shut down by the CM the first time, except it isn't actually new.
Most of those accounts I've read have been naming the condition or diagnosis, not the needs or concerns with waiting in line

Some of these hypothetical suggestions for DAS really expect a lot of Disney IT… sure, a typical company might manage that but - we’re talking Disney here! :rotfl:

Sorry, just a little levity. I know some of these suggestions have had serious thought put into it. I just don’t see Disney managing such personalized level of accommodations. It gets much too complicated.

It’s no more DAS users’ “turn” than it is Genie+ and standby.
There are three general groups of riders that we're discussing here:

- GROUP 1: Physical standby (those who get into line and physically wait)
- GROUP 2: Virtual standby (aka DAS who get into line virtually and wait)
- GROUP 3: Genie+ (who get to jump ahead of / skip the standby wait)

Who should we prioritize?

Well....let's say the standby wait time was 60 minutes when somebody who is Group 1 gets physically into the standby line. Let's also say that at the same moment somebody who is Group 2 gets in line for the ride virtually via DAS with roughly a 60 minute return time.

Both people must wait roughly 60 minutes. By this point the person from Group 1 has probably been ON the ride (assuming the wait time was accurate) or is at least past the merge point. The person in Group 2 is just then scanning in to the LL and must now wait in that line along with anybody from Group 3 who scans in.

Everybody who is Group 1 at this point is not as high of a priority to ride as people from Groups 2 and 3. Yes, you still let some GROUP 1 through but GROUP 2 and GROUP 3 are the priority.

Some of these hypothetical suggestions for DAS really expect a lot of Disney IT… sure, a typical company might manage that but - we’re talking Disney here! :rotfl:

Sorry, just a little levity. I know some of these suggestions have had serious thought put into it. I just don’t see Disney managing such personalized level of accommodations. It gets much too complicated.
I’m IT, so I always look to technology, but yeah, Disney IT😂😂

Can everyone not claim autism with no proof needed? What am I missing?
The CMs will be trained and although it might be hard to detect an adult faker, it’s pretty evident whether a child has it or not (from personal experience with SPD).

Since DAS has been digital it will be easy for Disney to spot the fakers/cheaters now that they can see your ride history and the potential $$$$ spent per trip.

Agree

There are people who can go from attraction to attraction, but as lanejudy mentioned, there are also people with co-morbidities they are often dealing with instead of doing other attractions. I need to catheterize my daughter about every 3 hours, so we have always be thinking about what we are doing and how it fits into our clock. We have other care related things, feeding, giving medication, etc.
A lot of scenarios have been thrown out assuming most DAS users are attempting to maximize their number of rides compared to other guests.
I apologize if I came off like I didn’t understand those situations exist. I think OurBigTrip and I were just discussing how restrictions on DAS usage for certain types of needs/disabilities could be put in place to avoid overuse of DAS in situations where the DAS holder wouldn’t need DAS for every ride / type of queue. We weren’t implying there would be a hard limit placed on DAS only ever being available for anyone if it’s over a 30 minute wait.

I totally understand all your examples, however, and would never want to take away someone’s ability to book rides so that when they are able, they can go on one.

This was all just us trying to see if it could work for certain types of situations and I know if Disney were to ever use this type of system, they’d have to work very closely with guests to make sure they’re still having their needs fulfilled.

I’m right there with you. My daughter has epilepsy and if she were to have a seizure in one of the long winding lines, it would be difficult to get her out of line or get help to her quickly. It is sad this change is necessary to alleviate a burden created by those who abuse it. What’s to keep abuse from happening now? Perhaps documentation should be required like Universal now does.
Nothing - I'm feel pretty sure the cheaters are working on their acting skills. Sadly, cheaters do seem to prosper.

Also, the ADA prohibits businesses from asking for documentation but it doesn't prohibit volunteering the information. Seems like Disney doesn't want to be bothered. Yes, people could cheat but they'd risk more than a permanent ban. Proven fraud charges could result in prison.

Hoping people post Yes or No as to whether they get a DAS starting on April 20. If yes, no diagnosis or symptoms should be included in the post(s).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter