DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

It also looks like Disney is attempting to discontinue customer support for disability questions in the parks. That seems to create a huge issue unto itself.
The cynical part of me feels like this is to avoid the initial backlash when this goes into effect. If they only approve folks with developmental disabilities, this means a huge portion of folks who got DAS in the past won't get it now. So they're just taking the interview out of the parks.

But more realistically, Im guessing its because this new health worker team will need to be present so its easier to do that virtually? Sounds like the CM and the health worker make the decision now.

And what kind of health worker is this? A nurse? A medical assistant? What makes the qualified to speak on all disabilities? Ugh.

IBCCES, used by Universal and other theme parks across the world, is the solution. Non-developmental disabilities qualify. https://accessibilitycard.org/

Disney corporate just gets a thrill out of over-complicating things. It's exhausting, and only gets worse as time goes on.
Ugh just assumed it was the same as universal? This is a new service? I am sorry to hear they can’t just do the same as universal. Again i want the abuse to stop, it really makes me mad, but i also think everyone that qualifies needs to have access to a pass.

IBCCES, used by Universal and other theme parks across the world, is the solution. Non-developmental disabilities qualify. https://accessibilitycard.org/

Disney corporate just gets a thrill out of over-complicating things. It's exhausting, and only gets worse as time goes on.
Honestly, I don't think asking people to electronically submit private, medical-related information to a third party is the solution.
A solution, sure. But quite frankly, it's a solution that is not working for many disabled people for a variety of reasons and I don't want to see it thrown on every situation as a band-aid.

Here is another question, if you can't apply for a DAS in person at Disney World, how will people who are signed in by cast members be able to apply?

The last one-the health workers being part of the decision making. I guess that's what made me wonder if some sort of paperwork was required. I had heard rumor of it being like Universal and a 3rd party making the decision. Does this mean that when we do our pre-trip interview, a health worker will be doing the interview you think? I'm just trying to understand the mechanics of this. I hate being last minute or unprepared and I wish if there were changes coming it was either after our trip or longer before so there was time for me to understand what to do and hear reports of how its going!

The way I read it is that healthcare workers will be training the Disney cast members. Not that they would be the ones directly on the calls.

I searched for a thread but only saw one regarding Disneyland.

I’ve seen mention of some changes in DAS process happening beginning May 20th. We go in June so shortly after the changes take place so I just want to be sure I understand them. Has anyone else read about this yet? Can we discuss?

For the first point below, does this mean there is paperwork I need to gather in advance or submit to someone?

• We are teaming with Inspire Health Alliance’s health professionals, to help our Cast Members, as needed, determine eligibility for appropriate accommodations and ensure that these accommodations are provided only for the guests for whom they are intended.
  • We will be making efforts to preserve the Disability Access Service (DAS) for those it’s intended to accommodate — only those guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time. To help with this, we are also extending DAS enrollment for eligible guests from 60 days to 120 days and adjusting DAS party size to include no more than four, except for immediate family members.
These updates take effect on May 20 at the Walt Disney World Resort and on June 18 at the Disneyland Resort.
I have contacted Disability Services at Disney Parks asking for more information as to how to apply through the Inspire Health Alliance professionals as discussed in the article. I got the traditional bounce back email “Thank you for contacting us. We will get back to you” .

I will report back if and when I find out more information.

The cynical part of me feels like this is to avoid the initial backlash when this goes into effect. If they only approve folks with developmental disabilities, this means a huge portion of folks who got DAS in the past won't get it now. So they're just taking the interview out of the parks.

But more realistically, Im guessing its because this new health worker team will need to be present so its easier to do that virtually? Sounds like the CM and the health worker make the decision now.

And what kind of health worker is this? A nurse? A medical assistant? What makes the qualified to speak on all disabilities? Ugh.
Honestly, if they're going to make you talk to a random "health worker" to somehow prove you need this pass, they may as well let you present a letter/form from your own care providers who actually know you.
(Note that I'm not saying that's the only thing they should do, nor should it be required, etc. Might as well just make it an option though.)

Honestly, this makes sense to me. Will it "hurt" a lot of people, yes. But at the end of the day, Disney is a private business and as far as I know, they are allowed to modify the DAS program in a lot of ways.

They will still be giving accommodations to many types of disabilities in various ways.

As far as ADA...I don't think certain things, like anxiety, are considered disabilities, right?

I'm going to say I am extremely concerned about this. I have used the DAS in the past due to long term complications I have from a surgery and I am trying not to call member services and see if they will refund me my sorcerer pass tickets I purchased to begin using this June. I know tickets are technically nonrefundable but this makes me highly stressed thinking about going to the parks now :(.

I have read a few articles and don’t understand how these changes are targeting abuse (I suppose limiting to 4 people unless immediate family discourages some use by people who don’t strictly need it, along with inconveniencing some families who actually do need it).
The biggest change seems to be that Cast Members are no longer the first line when it comes to approving/denying DAS. It will now be handled by Inspire Health Alliance.

Inspire Health Alliance employees have the knowledge necessary to "dig deeper" into why a Guest requires accomodations, and the specifics of their disability. Disney College Program Cast Members who work Guest Services don't have that training.

Honestly, this makes sense to me. Will it "hurt" a lot of people, yes. But at the end of the day, Disney is a private business and as far as I know, they are allowed to modify the DAS program in a lot of ways.

They will still be giving accommodations to many types of disabilities in various ways.

As far as ADA...I don't think certain things, like anxiety, are considered disabilities, right?
"They will still be giving accommodations to many types of disabilities in various ways."
How, though? What kind of various accommodations are you talking about?
Right now the two major options are a) wheelchair accessible lines and transportation and b) the DAS. Which in this exact thread, people are talking about how limiting it to developmental disabilities will greatly impact their trip, if they're even able to still access Disney without getting the DAS for the physical reasons they need it. That's how it's hurting people.
Disney is a private business- a private business that has a foundation in marketing itself as accessible to the whole family, disability-friendly, allergy-friendly, etc. Making a big change that will possible negate a lot of that doesn't mean people should just handwave it because they're a private business.

I think it should definitely require some sort of actual diagnoses note/confirmation from a confirmed medical doctor or equivalent. It would be much harder to fake than just lying in an interview and would cut down on a ton of the abuse by itself.

They have spent a lot of time making sure their lines are accessible with ECVs and wheelchairs so that physical disabilities shouldn't need DAS. So it makes sense that it's just going to be cognitive/developmental disabilities that need it now.

They are accommodating people that need to leave the line with the ability to rejoin the line. This is going to be a disaster.
The only way that process will work is if there are Cast Members at "checkpoints" in every queue that hand out passes for Guests to return.

Two issues:
  • What if my IBS acts up inbetween checkpoints, or in a pre-show? Am I expected to fight my way through hundreds of Guests seeking a Cast Member?
  • What is stopping people from just saying they want to leave the queue? I assume the Cast Members at these checkpoints are not qualified to ask about the Guest's disability...?
At this point, it seems that I myself am thinking this through better than Walt Disney corporate....

I think it should definitely require some sort of actual diagnoses note/confirmation from a confirmed medical doctor or equivalent. It would be much harder to fake than just lying in an interview and would cut down on a ton of the abuse by itself.

They have spent a lot of time making sure their lines are accessible with ECVs and wheelchairs so that physical disabilities shouldn't need DAS. So it makes sense that it's just going to be cognitive/developmental disabilities that need it now.
Not all physical disabilities are served by a mobility device, though. Lots of physical disabilities are multi-faceted, complicated, and can be brought on by other treatments and even medications. It's honestly at least semi-rare that someone using a wheelchair only has mobility needs. Doing a blanket "no physical disabilities qualify" doesn't make much sense.

There are parts of resorts that are still completely inaccessible, DAS doesn't work for a decent chunk of people because of clogged up Genie+ lines, etc, and this is their main focus. All because, as Disney officials said, how many more DAS users there are, and they see that as a way to make money with genie+.
I guess that ignores the fact that there were disabled guests who could manage utilizing free fastpass and didn't need DAS with that option. Or that something like long covid is still ongoing and actively disabling people. Sure, here's where the attention is needed.

I always say I never see an attempt to "stop fakers" in terms of disability access that doesn't just hurt disabled people. This looks like it's gonna be a great example of that.

I jokingly call Genie+ another type of ADHD Tax for me, but it's kind of gallows humor to cope. I would be absolutely screwed if I wasn't so good at avoiding lines. I have had to leave LL queues that got backed up because panic started setting in being surrounded by people in close quarters, or I get overstimulated and it's just too much for me to handle. It's not something I talk about. But I am squarely someone who would benefit from DAS, but have convinced myself other people need it more than me because I'm a pro at navigating the parks, and I get enough pushback and judgement the rare time I ask for minor accommodations at work. Heck I broke down crying in my manager's office last week over the latter because it was the first time anyone actually believed me. If I had a dime for every time I got "but you look normal". But all of that is why I just never ask for DAS. Even though I had an incident on my last trip and my therapist said I was really in need of accommodations.

That last paragraph is right on, but people don't seem to realize that or care.

Actually, this system is poorly done and there are lawsuits against parks that are doing it, Disney wouldn't want to go down that route until those lawsuits are finished and honestly, they have to do something since they won't do what really needs to be done and bring back all of the entertainment that eats up a lot of the crowds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter