DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

My daughter has anxiety and adhd. While she does not have an autism diagnosis, she exhibits some symptoms, like being sensitive to noise, being around other people, unable to tell us why she shuts down…We were hoping to apply for DAS for our June trip, but now that seems to not be an option?

My daughter has anxiety and adhd. While she does not have an autism diagnosis, she exhibits some symptoms, like being sensitive to noise, being around other people, unable to tell us why she shuts down…We were hoping to apply for DAS for our June trip, but now that seems to not be an option?

If I were you...I'd still try to apply online at the 30 day mark and just explain her needs. Maybe it will still work out for you.

I"m deeply saddened about this news for my DD. She has a hematological condition. She take oral chemo and I just don't see any way this new system will accommodate her. Guess the upcoming trip in August will not be fun for her. Maybe we will cancel? I just don't know.
Please don’t cancel until the new system goes live. Hopefully we don’t have all the info yet 😔

Really frustrated they're labeling DAS as developmental disabilities only. My Dad has back issues where he'll get severe pain if he's sitting or standing in place for too long but is fine if he can move. So a a wheelchair/scooter could be actively harmful, not helpful. And a return to line pass is no good because we don't want him getting to the point where he's in pain in the first place.

We've done DAS for years and it's been so helpful for him to be able to enjoy the parks. IDK what we'll do now.

ADHD is a developmental disability. I just looked it up for me and my kids.

Just what I wanted, to have every cast member and their mother know that I'm using the DAS lane because I have Autism & ADHD (as those are the only things that will now qualify). Thank goodness Disney doesn't ask for diagnoses. 🙄

There is already a post in another thread here of the "all these people can't have ADHD and they are just screen addicted and faking to take advantage" variety and I am desperately trying not to let it ruin my day.

There had been some chatter about third party tour guides (itself not allowed) using DAS to help with their tour groups. I'd guess that they were also seeing a lot of very large groups using DAS and it was getting out of hand.
There have also been some pretty viral TikToks of folks bragging about using it for anxiety or IBS. Im sure that didn't rub Disney the right way.

I"m deeply saddened about this news for my DD. She has a hematological condition. She take oral chemo and I just don't see any way this new system will accommodate her. Guess the upcoming trip in August will not be fun for her. Maybe we will cancel? I just don't know.

If it were me (and I'm with your DD), I would just ask for the "leave the line" pass at the start of every queue. While she'll need to wait solo until you get to the front of the line, it will probably allow her to safely ride the rides with you.

PS - I wonder if that is the plan for many physical issues for adults. They will individually get that type of pass and get to go through the exit of rides when the planned stand by time has elapsed (which should be roughly when their group would get to the front). It makes for a more lonely trip, but one where "maybe" and physical situations are accommodated, while discouraging abuse.

I mean, I think only cast members would know unless there are people seriously paying attention to what color the light turns when scanning into a return. (And if people are doing that...they need a new hobby!)
There is a large blogger specializing in data who has been counting various rides blue lights vs green and talking about their findings on his podcast which is popular among Disney fans. So yes, randos have been watching the light colors and pointing out the meaning to all their followers.

They they will direct you to the nearest one that works for you of course. Even with current DAS you have to be able to wait 15 minutes or so in a lightning lane line.
This is an issue I haven’t seen anybody discuss yet— the LL returns have been getting consistently longer (sometimes due to a ride breakdown but often not)— so even with DAS, people who genuinely have trouble in line (for physical or psychological disabilities) have to wait 30+ minutes…Disney limits Genie+ LLs (and their return windows) to avoid such long queues but they can’t cap DAS return availability or return windows, so when you have lots of large DAS parties it’s going to increase return times and exclude some guests who can’t make it 30-60 minutes in line…

I don’t have all the answers but I do think that Disney has made DAS very attractive and ripe for abuse, which causes more people to exploit it and then it works less well for the people who really need it most (as well as other park guests who face longer queues). I think it should be available to people who need it (and not arbitrary categories), but I do think requiring documentation would help. I think limiting party size is a good step (but perhaps they should make a “join your group” option for DAS users who want to travel with more than 4 party members).

DAS discussions always bring out the worst kind of ableism in people.

Speaking as one of those Xennials who was not diagnosed in childhood, pretty much entirely due to cultural biases...in hindsight I exhibited a million red flags as a child, but was simply called "lazy" and accused of not applying myself once I could no longer compensate for my issues with being "gifted". Even today in 2024, people struggle to think of girls and women of color as being neurodivergent. We know from research these things tend to present differently in girls, add cultural biases on top of that, it results in a lot of people not getting diagnosed in childhood and struggling through life. The thing is people "mostly cope" until they can't any more...eventually you hit a wall. Believe me, I know.

As a 42 year old adult the process of getting diagnosed has been expensive, time consuming, confusing, and frankly hellish. My insurance only covers some of it. There is a pervasive belief that these things are "outgrown" as we age and thus a lot of ignorance about ADHD adults, it is very difficult finding resources for us because everything is aimed at children. I only began this process in the first place because my Canadian partner was diagnosed in childhood and asked me if I had ever been because she recognized many, many signs in me.
Same! Burnt out gifted and talented kid who was diagnosed formally with ADHD at 40.

Soo it looks like my son will still qualify.. the 4 person thing is freaking my out. We stay with my parents, like same dvc rooms, fly etc... So that means one of the grandparents do not get to ride... I wish there was a way to pay for genie plus price... but then get into the system of DAS... just so the extra family members are on the system... cause it is near impossible to line up Genie + and the DAS pass for the same time.

Soo it looks like my son will still qualify.. the 4 person thing is freaking my out. We stay with my parents, like same dvc rooms, fly etc... So that means one of the grandparents do not get to the ride... I wish there was a way to pay for genie plus price... but then get into the system of DAS... just so the extra family members are on the system... cause it is near impossible to line of Genie + and DAS pass for the same time.
I think you would be fine as they allow exceptions for ‘immediate family’.
Obviously the info given is pretty vague at the moment so there’s a lot of speculation but I would assume this one part is accurate to what they’re claiming!

When you say "limits on number of DAS" are you referring to how many people will be allowed in the group with the individual who has DAS? Or limit on the amount of DAS returns a person can get per day?
People, 4 maximum unless immediate family. Used to be 6.

I hope... immediate family to me seem like parents with more kids... not grandparents.
I hope I’m right because the minor difference in the wording of the rule between a parent and grandparent would be utterly ridiculous for Disney not to consider/allow!

Really frustrated they're labeling DAS as developmental disabilities only. My Dad has back issues where he'll get severe pain if he's sitting or standing in place for too long but is fine if he can move. So a a wheelchair/scooter could be actively harmful, not helpful. And a return to line pass is no good because we don't want him getting to the point where he's in pain in the first place.

We've done DAS for years and it's been so helpful for him to be able to enjoy the parks. IDK what we'll do now.
My dad's the same. He actually has a vertebra in his spine that is completely pushed forward out of place, and because of where it is, sitting in a wheelchair becomes literal agony within a few seconds. He also has some other health conditions that work together to make things worse. At Universal, he actually has a higher level of accommodation (similar to Disney's old GAC). He hasn't gone to Disney much since they dumped him down to DAS, because it's a lot harder to make it work without aggravating his conditions. With this new change, he won't be able to go at all :(

ETA: He submitted a ream of paperwork to Universal years ago to get approved for his accommodations, and when they went to the new process Universal just switched the documentation over. Dad would have no problem submitting the same documents to Disney, but the option simply doesn't exist.

I think it’s probably a good time to remember that they have some time to iron out the kinks. Especially for those of us who are next trip isn’t for a few months. Does it suck this is happening? Yeah. But they’ll probably have to make some changes in the coming months again. As they see that what works on paper doesn’t work in reality

Which is always how it is

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter