DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I’ve had to provide documentation of my daughter’s autism & intellectual disability to be excused from jury duty, for FMLA absence at work, to get guardianship of her at age 18 through the courts……. I would certainly be willing to provide it to WDW for the DAS if they were ever to require it.

I guess my biggest concern with the new guidelines is requiring the virtual visits instead of in-person. She isn’t going to sit with me and wait for long periods of time, and she may or may not interact with the online person. She is also non-speaking. We’ve alway just gotten ours at GS with waits of no longer than 15 minutes.

To ease your mind a bit, like someone else said....in my experience with registering my son online, they only needed to see him briefly. He was playing in the room and I just called him over when needed. They didn't actually ask him anything directly (he wouldn't have been able to answer anyway.) They just took his picture and that was it.

The problem is that they have arbitrarily decided that autism (without proof) is more deserving of accommodation than T1D or severe stomach issues (also without proof.) Since none require proof and all therefore can be "faked", why is autism receiving priority? This is where they are going to run into issues.
That's why they need to require proof. As long as they don't require proof, anyone who wants to can just lie and change their problem to whatever is on the list of approved excuses.

The problem is that they have arbitrarily decided that autism (without proof) is more deserving of accommodation than T1D or severe stomach issues (also without proof.) Since none require proof and all therefore can be "faked", why is autism receiving priority? This is where they are going to run into issues.
Untrue. They’re still going to accommodate, just not your preferred accommodation.

We actually don't know that. There is no official explanation of the "return to line" accommodation or what it means. And either way, they are still ranking autism above the others.
Again, I disagree. Providing a needed accommodation that is different than the accommodation provided for a different disability is not ranking one above the other; it’s recognizing that different disabilities can utilize different accommodations.

Legitimate question: can someone explain to me how leaving the line would work? Say I need to leave the line 4x’s over a two hour period, how does that play out?
I don't think anyone knows yet. Does just one person leave the line? Does the whole group, part of the group? Does it work differently if you are alone and/or don't have someone who can stay in line? Where do you get back in line? Is there a time limit on your absence?

There are definitely queues and circumstances where leaving the line might work just fine for me. But there are other standard queues I just won't ever go into, either due to difficulties with exiting or other queue characteristics. If it's going to take me 2-3 times as long as the posted wait to get on between entering and leaving the line possibly a few times, I'm just going to skip that ride. (And yes, I did often wait out of line longer than the posted time when using DAS (sometimes 2-3 hours) because I was able to control when I got back into line anytime after the window opened that worked best for me).

Last edited:
TLDR. Got to page six and I got too sad.

Some of Tom Bricker's comments in his DAS blog post really resonated with me. I will gladly wait in line 5 or 10 minutes longer to allow people with life altering disabilities to have the same access I have to rides, shows, and fireworks. During that extra wait I will practice gratitude that we don't need those accommodations right now.

I am sorry for those that do need accomodations they might no longer get. I am hopeful this adjusts again soon for all of you.

Again, I disagree. Providing a needed accommodation that is different than the accommodation provided for a different disability is not ranking one above the other; it’s recognizing that different disabilities can utilize different accommodations.
A “return to line” pass for one person is objectively inferior to waiting outside the line in the location of your choice with your entire party. It’s not a matter of opinion. It also doesn’t adequately address the issues of many current DAS users as we’ve explained in numerous ways on this board.

I think it's still possible to abuse DAS by waiting in 2 lines. Some may consider it "abuse" if you use your DAS on one ride with an hour long wait because you can't possibly wait that long, then go and wait in a standby line that is also an hour long, then go back and ride the first ride with DAS. In that case, you were able to wait the hour, you just didn't want to. I would consider that abusing the system, and at the very least it is incentive for others to lie and game the system by getting DAS when they don't absolutely NEED it.
People who legit can't wait in an hour long line aren't doing this. The actual abusers who don't really need das at all may be, but they're abusers already.

Wow, if you think you can get a autism diagnosis with one doctor's visit you would be sorely mistaken. The process can take months to get an appointment for an evaluation, is sometimes multiple days of evaluation, and costs thousands of dollars.
Actually, it happens way more than you realize. Just pediatricians can technically provide that off of parent report. I know this because I work in early intervention and school-based sped services as a therapist. I even know a cheap place where a psychologist diagnoses every child I know with zero differential diagnosis evals or referrals for OT to rule out non-aut sensory delays. It is heartbreaking. And we meet many families who now assume their child has it bc of these negligent practitioners, and the parents are elated bc of all of the services/benefits that come with that diagnosis. Never seen anything like it.

I don't think anyone knows yet. Does just one person leave the line? Does the whole group, part of the group? Does it work differently if you are alone and/or don't have someone who can stay in line? Where do you get back in line? Is there a time limit on your absence?

There are definitely queues and circumstances where leaving the line might work just fine for me. But there are other standard queues I just won't ever go into, either due to difficulties with exiting or other queue characteristics. If it's going to take me 2-3 times as long as the posted wait to get on between entering and leaving the line possibly a few times, I'm just going to skip that ride.
Yes - this is what I am confused about - the mechanics of it all. It’s just me and my young DD (I am the one who has needed DAS). Leaving the line to address the issue could take upwards of 20 minutes. By the time you add it all up, it could take over 3 hrs to ride a single attraction? Just baffling.

I disagree. I think adding the punishment for getting DAS under false pretenses (permanent bans) should help with the liars.
That’s been in place for years, so not sure effective it will be.

Has anyone seen anything on the website about not allowing the next DAS reservation until 10 minutes after redeeming the current one? Saw that elsewhere, but haven’t seen it on Disney’s site
A “return to line” pass for one person is objectively inferior to waiting outside the line in the location of your choice with your entire party. It’s not a matter of opinion. It also doesn’t adequately address the issues of many current DAS users as we’ve explained in numerous ways on this board.
We’ll just agree to disagree.

TLDR. Got to page six and I got too sad.

Some of Tom Bricker's comments in his DAS blog post really resonated with me. I will gladly wait in line 5 or 10 minutes longer to allow people with life altering disabilities to have the same access I have to rides, shows, and fireworks. During that extra wait I will practice gratitude that we don't need those accommodations right now.

I am sorry for those that do need accomodations they might no longer get. I am hopeful this adjusts again soon for all of you.
"Fun" note. DLR doesn't have DAS or mobility viewing for fireworks at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter