DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

With DAS, you wait the same amount of time, just not in line.
You have to wait with DAS too, same as those in line. It is not a skip the line deal.
Exactly. That's something that the average person does not get to do. Again it would be much more enjoyable for me if I didn't have to wait in line, but could go get a cold drink and take some pictures instead of waiting in the line queue. If the ADA is there to make the experience the same, then everyone gets to wait in lines

That case ruled for Disney and against the Plaintiff and actually underscores my point— Disney has to make reasonable accommodations, not provide the exact series of accommodations a particular plaintiff has come to expect or the exact same experience a non-disabled guest would have.
View attachment 850096
But if you look at the legal definition of ADA, it’s about providing an equal experience.

The Plaintiff wanted immediate access to any ride. That’s a superior experience. DAS was found to be reasonable accommodation. If DAS is now not being provided and there’s no alternative, then ADA is being violated for those people.

That case ruled for Disney and against the Plaintiff and actually underscores my point— Disney has to make reasonable accommodations, not provide the exact series of accommodations a particular plaintiff has come to expect or the exact same experience a non-disabled guest would have.
View attachment 850096
ok. But there are hosts of people this change impacts who aren’t being offered any accommodations. What about them?

Sorry, unless you’ve experienced a severe hypoglycemic episode, just stepping out of line does not just give you a “quick fix”…many diabetics often require a long recovery phase and are most likely riding the “roller coaster” of “I’m extremely low so I’m going to eat carbs but I still feel like crap so I’ll eat more…oh crap! Now my blood sugar is near.y 400 so I’ll take some insulin. And all that walking in the heat we did just made me crash again”. That’s not even considering if you’re too low you can have a serious emergency! I’ve blacked out and had was unresponsive and was lucky not to have had a seizure when I dropped my blood sugar to below 20. I had to be hospitalized to regulate my blood sugar.
I second this. Wholeheartedly.

Regulating insulin levels is a crapshoot with many MANY factors involved: Exercise amount, heat/cold, anxiety/nervousness, sleeping well...and it's totally different for each and every person. There is no cookie cutter "do this and you'll always have your numbers in the green."

This .

The clearly added.language of enforcement of bans will be a significant one.

Disney can track a lot of media and correlate them to their products.

I wouldnt put it past Disney to chase down tiktok makers, link them to holders and deliver a ban very publicly. After a few of those, people will think twice to earn quick buck over losing lifetime access to Disney's private properties .

Disney has done this to resellers on eBay so its not an unreasonable jump either.
That language was on the website when DAS 2.0 (which added the advance video registration) was rolled out. They have made it more obvious though.
There was very similar language on the actual paper Guest Assistance Card and paper DAS card before it went digital with linking to My Disney Experience.
The digital version had a page of Terms and Conditions with similar wording that guests were supposed to read and sign (but probably not all signed).

Right. That case proves that DAS fulfills reasonable accommodation.
But that doesn't mean they have to keep DAS the way it is. There are multiple solutions to many problems. If Disney feels it's current accommodations are being abused, they are free to to change them to a different set of adequate accommodations, even if many people feel they are not as good as what they had before.

Disney is either planning to offer them alternate accommodations or has decided that their conditions do not legally require accommodation.
MS is *always* considered an ADA compliance consideration. I had a work place have to install an air conditioning in my office because the central air couldn’t keep it cool enough to prevent my nerve pain and blindness from flaring.

DAS allows me to have very short waits outside and otherwise wait for return windows or Genie+ in an air conditioned environment. If they won’t allow me to either have some sort of personal cooling device to brave their outdoor lines, or to allow me to wait inside, they’re violating ADA.

But that doesn't mean they have to keep DAS the way it is. There are multiple solutions to many problems. If Disney feels it's current accommodations are being abused, they are free to to change them to a different set of adequate accommodations, even if many people feel they are not as good as what they had before.
But they are providing nothing. That’s the entire point.

I greatly appreciate that the vast majority of these 30+ pages has been polite. We've had multiple moderators and Webmasters cleaning up those who felt the need to be nasty or rude. PLEASE do not resort to "my disability is worse than yours."

Actually, it does in some regards, they cannot record any medical data by law. The can record specific needs, such as cannot wait in line due to crowd issues. But they can't record what causes those crowd issues, as they are not medical professionals. Now by using medical professionals, they technically can record it, but that data can't be shared to Disney and must be protected under HIPPA standards and there is a whole series of things that go into that. I doubt Disney is willing to invest the money they doing that will require.
No. HIPAA (1 p 2 a's) does NOT pertain to WDW theme parks. But I think you mean rules pertaining to how PHI (Personal Health Information) is collected and stored. That may well be something WDW has no desire to get into.

Disney has never previously tried to give a disability hierarchy where they say one is more deserving of accommodation than another. When they eliminated the GAC, they reduced the accommodation for everyone equally, and the new offering, DAS, was the same for everyone. This new situation is not remotely analogous to that.
GAC used to have different stamps for different accommodations. Same card but different accommodations. There was 1 that became much in demand and more likely to be abused. When GAC changed to DAS - the card no longer offered multiple accommodations, but those accommodations still existed, just not as DAS. The current changes are a very similar scenario - making more accommodations outside of the DAS.

What is so contradictory to me is that Disney constantly emphasise it is not the diagnosis that equals qualification, but the actual needs. Yet, they’ve made that redundant by now specifying the conditions that qualify.
No, my understanding is they are still going to base accommodations on needs. Diagnosis alone doesn't automatically qualify. However they are saying certain types of needs will have different accommodations, not DAS. Much like in the past when DAS (as replacement for GAC) no longer accommodated vision disabilities.

Everyone will have their interview and the disability assistance team will let them know what accommodations they can provide.
Yes, this is still true. There may be some different accommodations not previously offered.

I think most of us would prefer medical documentation requirements and keeping the standard consistent. The current system is what - 2 years old? They don’t think things through and then have to keep changing them.
DAS has been in place since 2013 with very little change. The pre-registration process was added, but DAS didn't change. Along with pre-registration was the 2 Advanced Selections which came about the same time as the loss of FastPass+ and the advent of Genie+ and ILL$. The combination making DAS more ripe for abuse and/or use by those who had managed their needs differently before then.

I read a lawsuit that said DAS provided reasonable accommodation. So that is the legal precedent.
DAS is 1 reasonable accommodation. No court documents indicate it is the only reasonable accommodation.

ok. But there are hosts of people this change impacts who aren’t being offered any accommodations. What about them?

But they are providing nothing. That’s the entire point.
I haven't seen anything indicating "no" accommodation will be offered. What is apparent is that WDW has a different accommodation to offer for some needs. I do wish they had shared more details of that. If that doesn't end up working, I suggest the guest revisit Guest Relations to discuss the challenges encountered and alternative options.

No, my understanding is they are still going to base accommodations on needs. Diagnosis alone doesn't automatically qualify. However they are saying certain types of needs will have different accommodations, not DAS. Much like in the past when DAS (as replacement for GAC) no longer accommodated vision disabilities.
I respectfully disagree. They are not stating that certain needs will have different accommodations (which should be the case). They are stating certain conditions/diagnoses will have different accommodations. They give the example of autism. That is a condition, not a need.

The video call process is for applying for DAS. They say it is intended for those with a developmental disability. Where am I therefore going to get my needs assessed if I do not have the developmental disability?

If it was truly about matching unique needs to accommodations, surely Disney should be publishing a full list of those accommodations and then have the assessment process there to determine which accommodation is reasonable. This therefore wouldn’t be a DAS application process, but a general assistance application process.

Instead, they are pushing the message that if you do not have a developmental disability, DAS is not for you - before they have actually understood your needs or given an opportunity for them to be understood. That is segregation on diagnosis, NOT need.

This is all based on the incredibly poor and limited information we have so far, but that’s all there is to go off.

Woah I don't think I've ever posted a thread that got more than a couple responses lol.

I understand the uptick in DAS use since Genie. Truthfully, we are one of those families. I was a master at fastpass. We took 3 family trips with it, and because I researched to death, we honestly never stood in a line. I was great at knowing the good times of day to go, reserving the FP in advance, and then refreshing and getting additional FP throughout the day. You also could ride the same ride more than once. If a FP was available and all he wanted to do was ride Big Thunder over and over, done. Totally doable.

After FP went away, we have been on one family trip since then. We had 2 very rough days, even though I bought genie. It also is impossible for a family like mine to ride a ride more than once-even if there is genie availability for those who haven’t used one on that ride yet (meaning that of course even FP could eventually run out on a particular ride, but for many rides it didn’t… so even on a less popular ride now you can’t get more than one genie) On our third day, in HS (which is almost impossible anymore), we were trying to wait in a normal line. I won't go into my child's specific behavior and needs, but a CM saw the struggle and took us outside, out the back of the que/ride for some air. She is the one that said, I don't mean to pry, but I believe you may qualify for some help-why don't you find the closest blue umbrella CM and see. She was right, and I was so grateful for the compassion and the help. It saved our trip.

All this to say, YES DAS use has risen since genie, I can totally see that! I'm sure some is abuse. But some is very likely families like mine that didn't ever ask for accommodations before, because the normal, available to everyone cadence of the parks was enough, and that is no longer the case.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter