DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I'm pretty sure the Disney website says you CAN do exactly this:

"Guests utilizing DAS can enjoy many other experiences throughout Walt Disney World Resort during a DAS virtual wait, such as other rides, shows, concerts, parades and Character Greetings. They can also take a rest in a break area, get something to eat or go shopping."

No one is saying that it isn't allowed. A poster was asking why some people object to that feature. Its pretty obvious why some people object to that feature - non DAS users cannot be in two lines at once.

I feel like behind the people wanting DAS gone is a core misunderstanding of equality vs equity in terms of why people use DAS. Specifically those who think DAS should be eliminated altogether.

IISC_EqualityEquity.png

I can navigate the parks and resorts at WDW with my worn and torn middle aged body pretty well. I can stand by to ride any attraction, get food, and toilet myself. This simply isn't true for everyone.

Equal access doesn't mean equal accomodations. If the parks are really busy and I get on 5 rides all day, anyone with a disability should have accomodations that allow them to get on 5 rides that day, too.

If that means I wait 5-10 more minutes in a 60 minute queue for a person living with any disabilities that don't allow them to safely wait in line to get what I get because my mind and body work typically, so be it. I don't care if that person is sitting quietly in a cool dark place or riding iasw 10 times while I stand in line. It's just not my concern, savvy?

I sincerely hope this is all much ado about nothing and gets sorted soon.

Exactly this post. And I hope it all gets sorted soon as well.

I just emailed them to ask for clarification and express how unhappy I am about these changes. My son has Crohns disease and I cannot image anyone with Crohns fighting their way backwards through a line to find a cast member to get a pass and then to get to the bathroom. I encourage everyone to email them as well. That's the only way we will see change: disability.services@disneyparks.com
I too emailed them about my disappointment that the recent modifications to the DAS pass, which now seem to prioritize only those individuals with developmental disabilities, feel exclusionary and discriminatory to those of us who do not fit into that specific category. I too have Crohns and the DAS pass has been a lifesaver for some trips. I have no issues paying for Genie+, but my issue with it is the strict time constraints and the fact that at times it just hits and there is little that you can do besides run to find a restroom. Disney needs to reconsider these changes and work towards a more inclusive solution that recognizes and accommodates the diverse needs of all individuals with disabilities. Everyone, regardless of their disability, deserves the opportunity to experience the magic of Disney without facing unnecessary barriers or discrimination.

We have been DAS users (doubt we will still qualify) but I think its pretty easy to understand the objection. Non-DAS users in line for, say Rise of the Resistance, cannot also go ride Star Tours while they are waiting. DAS users can. Its a preferential feature of the accommodation, rather than "equal" access.
But Disney is even cracking down on that a bit more - as I posted above, the DAS website now says you have to wait 10 min before selecting another ride. Some may argue that's not long enough, but it's now not necessarily always true that you can select your next ride while you're waiting.

We have been DAS users (doubt we will still qualify) but I think its pretty easy to understand the objection. Non-DAS users in line for, say Rise of the Resistance, cannot also go ride Star Tours while they are waiting. DAS users can. Its a preferential feature of the accommodation, rather than "equal" access.
Thank you - clearly haven't had enough caffeine yet. I wasn't looking at it from the perspective of non-DAS holders. See the objection now and why that wouldn't be viewed as fair. I have been a DAS holder for several years and never even considered this as abusing the accommodation. Appreciate the clarification.

That’s not how it works. The cooling vest is necessary if it helps someone experience the parks like everyone else.

The fundamental operation thing is about not having to provide accommodations that disrupt the operation. So they don’t have to provide cooling vests if doing so disrupts operations.

It’s not saying they don’t have to provide anything they wouldn’t normally provide. If that were the case, then they wouldn’t have to put in ramps or really do anything for people with disabilities.
That makes no sense. They cannot have every sort of medical device on hand in multiples just in case they are needed by someone who didn't bring one. That would definitely disrupt the business and is clearly not required according to the ADA website.

Also, the ramps to have to be added because they are mentioned specifically in a different clause.
ADA Title III says regarding this that a business MUST:

• Follow specific standards for physical accessibility when building or altering a building or facility
  • Remove architectural barriers in buildings when it is readily achievable to do so.

I'm pretty sure the Disney website says you CAN do exactly this:

"Guests utilizing DAS can enjoy many other experiences throughout Walt Disney World Resort during a DAS virtual wait, such as other rides, shows, concerts, parades and Character Greetings. They can also take a rest in a break area, get something to eat or go shopping."
Yes - someone threw it out there as an example of abuse and it just never crossed my mind.

That makes no sense. They cannot have every sort of medical device on hand in multiples just in case they are needed by someone who didn't bring one. That would definitely disrupt the business and is clearly not required according to the ADA website.

Also, the ramps to have to be added because they are mentioned specifically in a different clause.
ADA Title III says regarding this that a business MUST:

• Follow specific standards for physical accessibility when building or altering a building or facility
  • Remove architectural barriers in buildings when it is readily achievable to do so.
Of course they don’t have to provide everything. They simply have to provide enough so that disabled people can have the same experience as non-disabled people. So that means getting to ride things without getting sick by waiting in a long line.

It’s not that complicated.

Of course they don’t have to provide everything. They simply have to provide enough so that disabled people can have the same experience as non-disabled people. So that means getting to ride things without getting sick by waiting in a long line.

No, they don't have to provide ANYTHING that they don't normally have or if they feel it is unreasonable. They just must allow you use if you bring it yourself

Thank you - clearly haven't had enough caffeine yet. I wasn't looking at it from the perspective of non-DAS holders. See the objection now and why that wouldn't be viewed as fair. I have been a DAS holder for several years and never even considered this as abusing the accommodation. Appreciate the clarification.
It isn't abusing the accommodation as long as Disney rules explicitly state that it's allowed, which they do.

Is it something non-DAS guests can be sour about? Sure. But it's not abusing the rules. Many people like to put it in those words, and it's simply not true. No one is breaking any rules or abusing the system by 'waiting in two lines at once' - they are using the system as it is designed.

Edited to add, that said, the DAS website now says you can't make another reservation for 10 min after you check in to your current, so they are obviously cutting back on that too.

As a marketing & communications professional and mother of an autistic person, the language of “developmental disorders” and “autism and similar” is painful. It’s confusing - what do they mean by “and similar”?? It’s vague… but also entirely too specific if they want to leave it up to the CM/health professional making determination. There are many other ways to have better worded this if the intent was to make it clear that physical disabilities will be accommodated in ways other than DAS - why throw out the very specific diagnosis of autism (which isn’t even right: the appropriate terminology is Autism Spectrum Disorder) at all? It’s befuddling and bothering me a lot more than it should.

Anyway, as long as we’re spitballing while waiting for better info to come - the leave & return thing… no way they're installing a gazillion new tapstiles for Standby lines to track this. The best I’ve come up with is that those who can be accommodated by leave & return will need to get advance approval in the same way DAS is done and that approval will be added to their profile. If they have that approval, they’ll need to tap in with a CM at the standby entrance (CM would ned to carry a handheld tapper), and tap back out if they need to leave. Upon return, they’d tap back in… but how do they get back to the spot where they left? Unless… the tap back in after leaving is into the LL instead? That sounds real complicated and messy.

But Disney is even cracking down on that a bit more - as I posted above, the DAS website now says you have to wait 10 min before selecting another ride. Some may argue that's not long enough, but it's now not necessarily always true that you can select your next ride while you're waiting.
Honestly, I'd be just fine with having them remove the ability to have two return times as well, and don't care that they took away the pre-selects. I don't ride enough rides even with Genie+ to worry about ride-hopping. I much prefer to be free to move as needed so I don't get overwhelmed / feel trapped into something.

It can be fairly argued that these provide a superior rather than equitable experience, and, as others have already said (and more eloquently at that), that makes the pass attractive for would-be abusers.

There is absolutely no reason we should be allowed to wait in two places at once just because we are disabled. Being able to wait outside of the line, and to have an open-ended return time following the start of the window, is more than enough accommodation.

Last edited:

Not sure if I missed a lot here but I have been following. I definitely don't agree with everything anyone is saying but... ADA says you have to accommodate, they don't says exactly how. So are long as a business is meeting the requirement of "accommodating" they can get by. Not saying it is right or wrong but Disney created DAS... they can take it away at any time as long as they provide what is required by ADA.

It is that complicated. No one person is the same so depending on what someone's needs are there might be other options then a lightening lane. Juggling that is what Disney is going to have a heck of a time doing...

I've only read 6 pages. We arrive at WDW on Friday. I pre-qualified for DAS due to an autoimmune disorder in the pemphigoid family. It is very rare. The fatality rate is high. Mine is aggravated by heat, sun, close crowds and it attacks my joints. The onset was during a COVID infection, and it is so rare that treatment options are primitive. And I would give much to not need DAS and have my life back. I care about DAS abuse, and would not use it for attractions I don't need it. I'm frustrated that physical disabilities don't qualify in the future.

Honestly, I'd be just fine with having them remove the ability to have two return times as well, and don't care that they took away the pre-selects. I don't ride enough rides even with Genie+ to worry about ride-hopping. I much prefer to be free to move as needed so I don't get overwhelmed / feel trapped into something.

It can be fairly argued that these provide a superior rather than equitable experience, and, as others have already said (and more eloquently at that), makes the pass attractive for would-be abusers.

There is absolutely no reason we should be allowed to wait in two places at once just because we are disabled. Being able to wait outside of the line, and to have an open-ended return time following the start of the window, is more than enough accommodation.
We didn't really find the pre-selects that useful either. I think we only used them 1-2 times over the week because we generally weren't in the right area at the time they came available, and weren't able to backtrack all the way across the park. So losing those doesn't really impact our experience much.

As for the ability to 'stack', as I said, they are starting to limit that, and it wouldn't surprise me if that too goes away someday. We do enjoy it, just because it enables us to get things done faster within the limit of capacity my neurodivergent family members have, and the sooner we can do all that, the sooner we can leave the park and get back to the hotel room for essential quiet time.

I've only read 6 pages. We arrive at WDW on Friday. I pre-qualified for DAS due to an autoimmune disorder in the pemphigoid family. It is very rare. The fatality rate is high. Mine is aggravated by heat, sun, close crowds and it attacks my joints. The onset was during a COVID infection, and it is so rare that treatment options are primitive. And I would give much to not need DAS and have my life back. I care about DAS abuse, and would not use it for attractions I don't need it. I'm frustrated that physical disabilities don't qualify in the future.
Based on the fact that your condition is so fatal and everything Disney World represents is a trigger, I think I would stay away from Disney World.

So if you’re holding DAS for a popular ride and there’s a ride with no wait, you can’t go into the standby line? How will enforcement of that work? They’d have to scan everyone in at the standby line entrance to check if you have a pending DAS.
Yes, you would have to implement a scan station at each ride. The idea is to make it a accommodation and not a benefit to get a DAS. One member of the party could scan for the ride they want while the other party members could wait somewhere more comfortable or get something to eat. If you didn’t have a DAS pass then you have to wait in the line and you couldn’t use the waiting time to ride more rides. It is essentially giving people a more comfortable wait experience without giving them more time to fit in rides

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter