DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Apologies, but I think you misunderstood a bit. I was primarily referencing people PRETENDING to have disabilities because they WANTED the benefits that DAS comes with. Those are the abusers that Disney and others want to cut out of the equation.

But, there are many different disabilities. Disney seems to be trying to separate ones that they think can wait in line (either with or without using their own devices, leaving the line with a return pass, etc.) vs those that absolutely cannot wait in line and will still NEED some sort of new DAS system. I hope that clears it up a bit
But since Disney doesn’t ask for documentation, I’m not sure how they can make that decision for people. They’re not asking for a doctor’s note saying the person can’t wait in lines and no equipment would help. So they’re basically just making arbitrary decisions.

Sure, I agree. We've been grateful recipients of DAS in the past, future uncertain. But I can still recognize the current features of DAS that feel overly advantageous, such as the 2 pre selections (going away) and the ability to book the next DAS while still waiting/riding the current DAS. I don't have any problems with modifications to make that more fair, such as the new 10 minute delay for new bookings. I'm not sure what can be realistically done about riding standby while waiting in a virtual DAS line.
I'm fine with it too.

I’ve mentioned in a previous post, but my primary care physician was the one who told me about the DAS pass when I asked her if I was fine to do rides with my heart conditions. I got approved for DAS on my last visit after I described my condition and symptoms to a cast member. But they didnt ask for a doctor’s note or anything like that. I would have no problem providing documentation - is there a reason why they won’t accept them? Is it a legal reason? I would think my own family doctor would know me better than a contracted third party by Disney making the determination.

Agreed. I've never not had a significant wait in between DAS attractions. It's never worked for me that I'm done with one ride and then strolling right into the next. More often than not, it's 60-90 min - which is completely fine and usually needed. I'm sure that's largely based on when we've chosen to travel but have never considered it to be 'stacking.'
I don’t know who is riding back to back rides and stacking. This past trip with DAS we rode the least amount of rides and we take mid day breaks and book TS dining (kids with allergies so takes 2+ hours).

We’ve always had to have my husband tap in first. Then the CM verifies it and our daughter and I can then scan in.
My whole original post was to suggest changes to the DAS where it could accommodate people who need it but not make it so lucrative that people would want to lie to get it.

If you get rid of the 2 preselected rides and basically eliminate the possibility of riding more rides while waiting for the return time then you could eliminate people who see the DAS pass as a way of getting the most rides done during their day.

Of course, there will still be people who will lie because it is more comfortable waiting outside of a physical line and wait somewhere else but at least this way people won’t use it like a free Genie plus.

Anyway… Genie + and the increase in prices is probably the root cause of this mess…. Unfortunately greed will probably make some people lose out

I know but I just wanted to emphasize that it didn’t have to be the person with the DAS pass who had to tap in… ( you could even have it so they can sign on through the app).
For us the DAS pass person had to tap in first and and be eligible for the ride (she was 39.5 inches tall).

I don’t know who is riding back to back rides and stacking. This past trip with DAS we rode the least amount of rides and we take mid day breaks and book TS dining (kids with allergies so takes 2+ hours).

I think it depends if you use DAS for things like Rise and FOP (which is what we do, and yes we have long waits in between) or if you use DAS for Under the Sea and Spaceship Earth, etc. Some people don't like the thrill rides and those people wouldn't have much waiting in between unless it was late December or Easter week.

The only way we were able to do 'back to backs' is by alternating rides that had a wait with rides that didn't have much of a wait. (And that's not counting the times we took a nap or food break of some kind instead of riding something.) But we were able to often go from one ride to another as long as we alternated. So like... scan in Peter Pan, immediately select Pooh as our next, see Philharmagic in the meantime, etc. It still necessitated a minimal wait, but we tried to pick rides that had room to spread out or interactive queues or something.

My whole original post was to suggest changes to the DAS where it could accommodate people who need it but not make it so lucrative that people would want to lie to get it.

If you get rid of the 2 preselected rides and basically eliminate the possibility of riding more rides while waiting for the return time then you could eliminate people who see the DAS pass as a way of getting the most rides done during their day.

Of course, there will still be people who will lie because it is more comfortable waiting outside of a physical line and wait somewhere else but at least this way people won’t use it like a free Genie plus.

Anyway… Genie + and the increase in prices is probably the root cause of this mess…. Unfortunately greed will probably make some people lose out
I agree it’s greed and not making it better for the people who do need DAS.

I think it depends if you use DAS for things like Rise and FOP (which is what we do, and yes we have long waits in between) or if you use DAS for Under the Sea and Spaceship Earth, etc. Some people don't like the thrill rides and those people wouldn't have much waiting in between unless it was late December or Easter week.
December 2022 (NYE) better than runDisney Nov 4 last year btw (Main Street was standstill even 20 mins past fireworks)

At that point if you are testing that many times, before rides, etc you should really consider a continuous glucose monitor. You place a new one on every 10 to 14 days depending on the brand and at any time you can just scan it with your phone or the reader and test without poking your finger every time.
This is more just a general comment but my step-father-in-law has Type 2 diabetes and a few months ago got the patch. It for him is a literal lifesaver. He got it after being admitted to the hospital with a blood sugar level of 400. I've asked him over time how he likes the patch and he told us he loves it and can't believe he went so long without it. It sends information to his phone when his blood sugar goes over 250 and it monitors it over time as well that way he also can handle the levels more easily understanding what he may be doing causing spikes. Most often for him it means he needs to eat something or take it easy depending on the level it reads out. His doesn't require scanning with the phone it provides real time feedback.

The poster you posted the above comment to may not benefit from the patch as their situation could be something not easily remedied by it but I agree that for the purposes of checking blood sugar it has worked wonders for him. He's not the most tech savvy loving person but he really likes the app.

We did pre book Nemo and spaceship earth (only options available and they were hours apart so one didn’t work due to flight delays) but couldn’t walk all the way down from Remy in time

It's not nearly what will help my family have a safe/comfortable experience, but if any of you have seen a disabled person post about relying on Genie+ rather than DAS, I'd really love links. We won't know for at least a month the details of this change, so studying up on that will help my stress more than reading speculation will. I'll be reading about G+ for able bodied people in the meantime, but I'd love specific anecdotes about using it with disabilities!

It seems to me that Disney just thinks demand is high enough for their parks that they can afford to make them unwelcoming to people who aren’t able to experience the attractions without accommodations.

There is absolutely no way that the ability to leave a line and come back will be anything short of a disaster. It will just result in people not bothering to get in line at all. And then they’ll look at the lack of usage of this offering and view it as proof that nobody really needed it in the first place.
I agree. It seems they feel they don't need or want to be "bothered" by guests who need anything additional. I do feel we've seen this in other areas with Disney as well. If they had it their way, they'd only have 1st timers willing to spend lots of $$ for their once in a lifetime experience, buy all they souvenirs etc. I get it financially in the short sited way, but man it's sad and also may eventually cause an issue for them.

But since Disney doesn’t ask for documentation, I’m not sure how they can make that decision for people. They’re not asking for a doctor’s note saying the person can’t wait in lines and no equipment would help. So they’re basically just making arbitrary decisions.
That's why I thought they should require the documentation that they can verify with a medical records at the dr's office if need me. Harder to fake a diagnosis that they can contact the doctor about

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter