DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Virtual queue for every single ride is the solution. There is no reason anyone needs to stand for hours in a queue. I feel like everyone has a diagnosis these days. IBS is so common something needed to change.
IBS is not a reason not to wait on line though. You can use the bathroom pass and come back.

This makes it sound like the original phrasing was correct, and the majority of DAS will be those with developmental disabilities. I’m guessing they are trying to make former DAS users take advantage of the new line hold if you have to leave? Unless I’m not comprehending that correctly.
I get that too. It’s like if you fall solely into a single box like diabetes, they are pretty much saying we won’t give you a umbrella das precaution all day but rather disney will be waiting for you to have an issue then dealing with it. And maybe a good % of the people will be just fine and be able to manage. We really won’t know until it goes into a full scale real life action.

Then those who don’t fall into a single box would have a more involved discussion with a more advanced person (be it with more medical or disney access knowledge, possibly both?)

When I bought DVC, I was going to get FastPass+, Magical Express with luggage delivery to the resort and airline luggage delivery from the resort along with other resort exclusive benefits like Magic hours.

Unfortunately all of those things are now gone :(
Yea - I know this is a bit OT but definitely relates for people here with DAS - when I bought DVC all those things were stressed SO HARD in the sales pitch. People constantly say "DVC is just a room purchase" and I know they are right - but that's not what the sales pitch was - it was about all the perks and benefits, including super cheap annual passes.

Its all gone now, except the room I guess.

You don't actually have to have a diagnosis on the ASD. It is just one large group that DAS addresses directly.

PTSD and certain types of ADHD can certainly qualify and that's why it is not a diagnosis based ascertained but the type of challenges one has that DAS may actually alleviate.

We used the original CAG, transitioned to DAS and DAS 2.0 and now this. Each time the changes are to manage the abusers while trying to
PTSD isn’t a DD. Do you think you’ll make exceptions for it?

May I have a question?

Do you guys really think that Disney would go and deny DAS to everyone but those with developmental disability?

What about those folks who are deemed to be unfit to work permanently? The official medical board decided that you "kinda really disabled so we can't expect from you to work" but Disney would decide that no you are indeed good to go to conquer a 2-3 hours line standing... maybe in the heat....

I don't want to believe that Disney could/would do that.

I'm making myself crazy 🤪 it seems.

Good luck to everyone to get the necessary accommodation they need for their next trip!

I think I have to quit overthinking this my health is already suffering .

That’s really grim. And bizarre too, I had a video call for DAS at Disneyland from the UK last week. The video took a few attempts to load but otherwise worked fine.

Edit: just catching up on the thread an apparently it’s only meant to be open to the US? Had no clue when I called and wasn’t using a VPN, how odd.
From the beginning of doing the virtual video registration, it said in several places that it was only available in North America
I have another question about the vide chat: if you use that, does the expiration date of your approval end 30 days after the call, or 30 days after the next time you enter a park?
previously, it was 60 days after the first park day. The 30 day expiration is probably also from first park day - it wouldn't make sense to call 30 days before your first park day and have it expire 30 days after the call. That would be before the visit.
The one thing it does say on the website is that going forward the expiration date would be based on the length of tickets. I did just see a Facebook post where someone did registration today and was told it would expire with her park tickets
I definitely understand not wanting to pay for it, I don't either :) Just a curiosity if Disney had gone that route of saying you're now required to pay for DAS, if people would have paid. I honestly think I'd rather that then where we landed with limiting DAS to only those with developmental disabilities and I suspect it would curb a lot of the abuse.

I also definitely get that paying for Genie+ doesn't work for a lot of folks while DAS has been working.

I was surprised that wheelchairs are not available for free, I thought they were but the Disney World website shows that there is a rental fee for a normal wheelchair.
Wheelchairs have always been a charge with the exception of parking lot courtesy chairs and attraction wheelchairs where the line was not ECV accessible.
Some people had gotten a loaner chair from their resort in the way past, but those were really meant for emergencies
Disneyland still requires park reservations. Tickets have been required for DAS not just because of advance selections, but because they need to tie the DAS to active ticket media in order for it to be used.

The best hope I think we can have is that they put in place a policy that if one is denied DAS they have an opportunity to have their tickets refunded.
There are some tickets at WDW, including non-date based tickets and annual passes that require park reservations. The exception is no need for park reservations after 2pm for AP holders, except for Magic Kingdom on weekends.

May I have a question?

Do you guys really think that Disney would go and deny DAS to everyone but those with developmental disability?

What about those folks who are deemed to be unfit to work permanently? The official medical board decided that you "kinda really disabled so we can't expect from you to work" but Disney would decide that no you are indeed good to go to conquer a 2-3 hours line standing... maybe in the heat....

I don't want to believe that Disney could/would do that.

I'm making myself crazy 🤪 it seems.

Good luck to everyone to get the necessary accommodation they need for their next trip!

I think I have to quit overthinking this my health is already suffering .
I'm not saying this is a universally helpful solution, but often Disney's one fit for all answer is use a scooter or wheelchair.

Yea - I know this is a bit OT but definitely relates for people here with DAS - when I bought DVC all those things were stressed SO HARD in the sales pitch. People constantly say "DVC is just a room purchase" and I know they are right - but that's not what the sales pitch was - it was about all the perks and benefits, including super cheap annual passes.

I completely agree with you. I added that it was just a room purchase to proactively stop others from telling me we shouldn't have bought into DVC based on future park operations.

I know that's true, but like you, the sales pitch was about the park perks. Ultimately, we bought in because WDW was a good place to vacation because of how we were treated at the time with the park ops at that time, including DAS.

I emailed Disability Services the day this all dropped asking for clarification and expressing my frustration. Here is the letter I received in response.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your message to the Walt Disney World Resort regarding services for Guests with disabilities.

Disney is committed to providing a welcoming, inclusive environment, and accessible experience for all our Guests. All Guests who inquire about accessibility options during this period of transition are receiving this note to share information ahead of your next visit.

We would encourage you to first explore our website for Guests with disabilities, which has been updated to showcase a variety of accommodations and services to meet different needs.

Additionally, to help you plan your visit, we have developed an Accessibility Planning Guide and Recommendations and a Sensory Experience Guide, which provide pertinent information as well as answers to many Frequently Asked Questions.
There are various accommodations available to meet the needs of our Guests, which may be discussed in individualized conversations within 30 days of a planned visit with our Accessibility Services Cast Members. The Disability Access Service (DAS) is one program offered, and it is intended specifically for those guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time.

Some Guests enrolled in DAS in the past may be offered alternate accommodations based on the results of their individual conversations. These include Rider Switch, Mobility Services, options for those who may unexpectedly need to leave a queue, and/or other recommendations. Guests who may need accessibility accommodations will be offered an individualized conversation with our team within 30 days of a planned trip (including on the day of your visit, if necessary), to help provide an appropriate match of tools and services.

If you are visiting before May 20, 2024:
Please visit us at Accessibility Services to initiate a connection with our team. You will be connected with a Cast Member via live video to assist you further. Please note that you will need to have access to a video camera and a microphone. During this discussion, if eligible, you may register in advance for DAS between 2 and 30 days prior to your visit.
During this time, you may also request accommodations by visiting a Guest Relations location once you arrive at our theme parks. Our Guest Relations Cast Members will work individually with you to discuss your overall needs to determine which service will be appropriate. Guests will not be asked for medical documentation.
Note: If you already have an approved DAS accommodation, it remains valid until your existing expiration.
If your visit begins May 20, 2024 or later:
Beginning May 20 at the Walt Disney World Resort, there will be an updated process for Accessibility Services conversations. Guests can learn more on our website for Guests with disabilities. In this video discussion, health care professionals may be available, if needed, to help determine appropriate accommodations. Guests will not be asked for medical documentation.

Please know we will not determine any Guest’s future eligibility until our processes are updated on May 20.
That is the same robot reply I received too

I get that too. It’s like if you fall solely into a single box like diabetes, they are pretty much saying we won’t give you a umbrella das precaution all day but rather disney will be waiting for you to have an issue then dealing with it. And maybe a good % of the people will be just fine and be able to manage. We really won’t know until it goes into a full scale real life action.

Then those who don’t fall into a single box would have a more involved discussion with a more advanced person (be it with more medical or disney access knowledge, possibly both?)

With the best wishes and thoughts in my mind, this is something that will be interesting to see in the upcoming months. I sure do hope Disney gets this right and there are little to no issues caused by the upcoming change. When I say issues, I mean emergent health things caused by Disney's restrictions on who they issue what type of accommodation to.

I think we're all driving ourselves mad trying to figure out what Disney plans on doing and hopefully its better than what all of us are assuming it will be.

No. There's nothing about waiting in line that would trigger PTSD that being in the parks wouldn't anyway.
Why even bother posting such an inaccurate and ignorant response. While it may not be a “DAS Pass”, I’m sure appropriate accommodations will be provided based on one’s individual situation—you’ll probably need to contact and explain your difficulties to discuss what options will work best for you

Still no response to my email yet. I am guessing it’s because they can’t use that copy-paste as the pre-registration isn’t something I am officially allowed to do in the UK.
Well, I got the same response back that everyone did. Advising me to use the video call 30 days out despite the fact I can’t in the UK - it’s actually against their policy.

Clear to me they have not even read my email so I’ve asked this CM to first of all confirm they have actually read my email and what they are doing with its contents. Secondly asked it to be escalated to a formal complaint.

Absolutely not good enough to completely disregard an email on such a serious topic.

We still get the Sorcerer Pass at least, its not cheap - but its cheaper than the Incredipass. I definitely hear what you're saying though. If DAS is the next to fall and there isn't an appropriate accommodation, I'm not sure if I'm going to keep my DVC points.

For those asking about how long DAS is a valid here is the quote from the FAQ

DAS is valid for the length of the ticket or up to 120 days, whichever is shorter. Once the service has elapsed, Guests need to re-register for the program.

Please note: for Guests visit from April 9 through May 19, 2024, DAS is valid for up to 30 days, or when a new ticket is required.

In the TikTok link I posted last night, https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTLU1bQcv/ Amy from Touringplans visited MK and talked to guest services about the changes. Some of the answers she received were interesting. They said they were serious about the developmental disabilities requirement. Another that the return to line pass/ language not sure yet, would not be a guest services thing but an attractions cast thing. She said boots on the ground people. So to me that sounds like it’s not really an accommodation but will be available to all at the moment needed in lines. But I’m just speculating there. She also talked some about how registering works with the upcoming rollover date.

I'm not saying this is a universally helpful solution, but often Disney's one fit for all answer is use a scooter or wheelchair.
Yes, it really isn't a universally helpful solution because some of us can use neither.

Maybe Disney is hoping this will discourage some even applying for the DAS and this will reduce the numbers. I just don't think those who really qualify, no matter the disability, will be refused. It isn't the Disney way.
Of course at one time, people said Disney would never charge for FP or that FPs or park hours could be tied to resort levels, lol.

A very reasoned response!

My question for the folks that, based solely on the initial press release, as we don't really know what final accommodations would be, what would be a reasonable accommodation for Chron's or MS if DAS is taken away? I know for some, leave & return to the line would work, so that's a subset. But if leave and return isn't adequate and DAS isn't available, what would you see as a reasonable accommodation?

Seriously asking, because I have no idea what that middle ground might be.
Good question! I can only answer for myself as some T1 diabetics can manage just fine without DAS while others, such as myself, have a very difficult time. For myself personally, G+ looks like a good alternative on the surface. But I start to get nervous if I think about buying it, scheduling rides, not being able to get to the ride within the time window. What happens if the queue is longer than I thought and have to leave to test blood sugar, treat a high/low (which can take a significant amount of time if depending on numbers)? How do I get back into the queue? What if I need to return to our resort to recover...I've just then wasted my ability to use G+ (and been charged for that as well as taken a G+ someone else could have benefitted from). My sincere hope is that G+ will have changes that will account for some of my concerns.

Yes, it really isn't a universally helpful solution because some of us can use neither.

Maybe Disney is hoping this will discourage some even applying for the DAS and this will reduce the numbers. I just don't think those who really qualify, no matter the disability, will be refused. It isn't the Disney way.
Of course at one time, people said Disney would never charge for FP or that FPs or park hours could be tied to resort levels, lol.
While everyone may not get DAS like they used to, it does sound like they are going to have other options for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter