DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

One other thing I noticed, Allears says the "return to queue" process will stay the same.

The only "return to queue" option I am aware of at a Disney park is the bathroom pass and Rider switch.

Most of us probably know how Rider switch works, it is usually used for a child that is unable to ride due to height requirements. One adult will stay with the child outside of the line and be given a Lightning Lane pass for the ride. After the rest of the family rides, the adult can ride with a shorter wait in the Lightning Lane. Sometimes 1 additional person is also granted a Lightning Lane pass so the 1 adult does not have to ride alone.

The bathroom pass which I had posted earlier and sounds most like what the "return to queue" option is. There is a link describing how it works here: https://www.travelandleisure.com/attractions/disneyland-new-star-wars-ride-long-lines-bathroom-pass

There is also a post as far back as September 2023 that people were being issued bathroom passes instead of DAS (probably on a more limited basis than the changes recently announced) here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/change-in-das-at-disneyland.3929473/
When I read it I took it be it is remaining the same as DAS has in place now, where you wait and you return to the queue when your time it called..into the LL

Funny how we all interpret it differently. We really just need WDW to come out with their clear guidance

We are talking about 2 separate things. I'm talking/asking about the pretty regular number of posts over the last few days of people who said they used to only use fastpass+ and never bothered with DAS because the pre-selects for their family, were sufficient enough to meet their needs.

I totally understand where you are coming from, but you're not the target my post is for.
This was us and I'm sure lots of people like us. We were masters at FP+ refreshing and therefore never felt any need to apply for DAS. Because you were allowed to repeat FP's, if we needed to abruptly leave a line, sometimes we'd get a paper FP to return if the CM was understanding, but if not I could usually "refresh" my way into a new FP for that same ride again. Or if we were delayed getting there, they would accept a "late" FP or Guest Services would modify it for you. None of any of that is possible any more which is why we started applying for DAS.

What I want to know is what about any of this stops abuse? Nothing that I can tell.

What Universal did, cuts down on abuse because you now need medical documentation. Still doesn't stop people from renting out their services, but it helps.

What Disney is doing changes nothing that will cut down on abuse. If people are serious enough about cheating, they can google symptoms and what to say.

Disney needs to cut down on the number of people using the service. That's all this is about.
If they truly wanted to cut down numbers they would limit park passes. It’s all about money.

Sincere question as I'm always hoping to learn and understand. Disney states that DAS will be preserved for people with Autism. I unfortunately don't know much about Autism and would like to understand. What makes it so someone with autism or a similar condition (is that the right word) can't wait in the line. Thank you for teaching me.
I can't speak for everyone, because everyone is different, but Autistic people (especially if they also have anxiety and/or ADHD, which are extremely common comorbidities) are very, very vulnerable to sensory overload, which is exacerbated by waiting in lines (as being surrounded by people presents a lot of unwelcome, uncontrollable sensory information, even with ear defenders - I personally need my relaxing sound compilations or music playing at all times through my ear defenders, but it has to be the sounds *I* choose: even someone else talking nearby can hurt my brain and cause a rage response due to the frequency of their voice being unchanging & unwanted, if that makes sense). This can cause meltdown, which can result in yelling, screeching, self-injurious behaviour, or even in behaviour that can cause injury to others. This cannot be reasoned out of an Autistic person, and, once triggered, it cannot be stopped until it's over.

Constant movement as self-regulation is common, as it allows them to avoid being surrounded by a specific source of sensory input for too long: Autistic brains likewise just like to move, moreso than neurotypical brains. The freedom of movement is very important, and feeling trapped in and of itself can cause meltdown. Younger kids likewise have a greater likelihood of elopement, during which they will run from caregivers to hide or simply to continue moving / to go to a place that is "safe" for them.

Right now, for every DAS pass holder, there could be 5 able-bodied guests who are having a “superior” experience to other able-bodied guests. (I put superior in quotes because i know it’s not the correct word in all cases.)

As an able-bodied guest, If I don’t have a DAS pass holder in my party, I am just in the line…waiting. If I do have a DAS pass holder in my party, I might be sitting in the shade, eating an ice cream, taking photos, or riding another ride while I wait.

if you eliminate waiting in long lines, it definitely adds up to a better in-park experience in most cases. That’s a lot of able-bodied people getting the benefits of DAS. The return-to-queue seems like it might eliminate that “perk” and thus cut down on people who try to lie their way into getting a pass.

I will speak to my experience as a pretty able body person traveling with a person who requires a DAS... I would not necessarily agree it is a superior experience. When I travel with my son, who requires a DAS, every moment revolves around his needs. There is no rope dropping- he can't handle the crowds. He cannot be in a park for more than 5 hours straight (and even that is a stretch) without having a meltdown. I have to find places in the park that are not over stimulating and forgo a lot because of crowds. It is exhausting.

I have also traveled with my DD22 and it is, IMO, a better experience. We can rope drop. We can see a parade (crowds are too much for my son). We can watch Happily Ever After from the Hub and see the projections. We can go from open to close with maybe a show or sitdown midday to refresh. I do not agree with your assessment that those traveling with a guest that actually needs a DAS (not abusing) are getting a superior experience.

This was us and I'm sure lots of people like us. We were masters at FP+ refreshing and therefore never felt any need to apply for DAS. Because you were allowed to repeat FP's, if we needed to abruptly leave a line, sometimes we'd get a paper FP to return if the CM was understanding, but if not I could usually "refresh" my way into a new FP for that same ride again. Or if we were delayed getting there, they would accept a "late" FP or Guest Services would modify it for you. None of any of that is possible any more which is why we started applying for DAS.
correct, my original question was aimed at people like you specifically...if they went back to this fastpass+ system (with pre-selects and the same functionality), would you be inclined to use that system since you know it works, or would you still opt for DAS.

I’m referring to the fact that leaving a line and coming back is a reasonable accommodation for someone with bathroom issues. Possibly not the desired accommodation, or the same accommodation that they’re getting now. But it is reasonable.
Again, you’ve said ‘bathroom issues’. I’d be interested if you think severe and sudden internal bleeding is within your definition?

If not, stop asserting what you believe is reasonable for someone you do not know and do not know the needs of. That’s the job for Disney and the health experts.

correct, my original question was aimed at people like you specifically...if they went back to this fastpass+ system (with pre-selects and the same functionality), would you be inclined to use that system since you know it works, or would you still opt for DAS.
I can answer this as a family that used to use FP+... I would still sign him up for DAS but would only use it to turn Virtual Queues into LL so he is not waiting longer than 30 mins. I would manage the rest for my son like I always had before FP+ as it fit our needs before.

With how time consuming, frustrating, unreliable, and subjective the cast members can be at determining who qualifies I'm not sure how it was even being abused.
I spent hours and sometimes multiple days to get through and one time I was approved the next denied the next approved for a disability that is from birth and unchanging.

I can't speak for everyone, because everyone is different, but Autistic people (especially if they also have anxiety and/or ADHD, which are extremely common comorbidities) are very, very vulnerable to sensory overload, which is exacerbated by waiting in lines (as being surrounded by people presents a lot of unwelcome, uncontrollable sensory information, even with ear defenders - I personally need my relaxing sound compilations or music playing at all times through my ear defenders, but it has to be the sounds *I* choose: even someone else talking nearby can hurt my brain and cause a rage response due to the frequency of their voice being unchanging & unwanted, if that makes sense). This can cause meltdown, which can result in yelling, screeching, self-injurious behaviour, or even in behaviour that can cause injury to others. This cannot be reasoned out of an Autistic person, and, once triggered, it cannot be stopped until it's over.

Constant movement as self-regulation is common, as it allows them to avoid being surrounded by a specific source of sensory input for too long: Autistic brains likewise just like to move, moreso than neurotypical brains. The freedom of movement is very important, and feeling trapped in and of itself can cause meltdown. Younger kids likewise have a greater likelihood of elopement, during which they will run from caregivers to hide or simply to continue moving / to go to a place that is "safe" for them.
Thank you for the wonderful explanation.

For those of you who cannot do Disney without the DAS in its current form, how do you navigate other scenarios that have similar issues but no available accommodation? Airport, concert, festival, etc. Places that have long lines, large crowds, but no DAS.
Happy to share- We don't. My son had a meltdown a few months ago before we were supposed to fly to FL for our Disney cruise because of the line to check luggage... We ended up driving (seriously) .

We don't go to concerts or festivals. I do take him to the movie theater but only with assigned seating and never when busy. We work our travel even within Disney to minimize lines for transportation like buses or the skyliner. Seriously it is exhausting.

ETA- Honestly the idea of him at a concert (noise and crowds) has never occurred to me. I am careful about when I take him into a Target because of lines and we rely heavily on grocery pick up. A concert is a pipe dream. Even going to a movie has been a recent change with his better skill management

I really think you have very little understand how different life is for those with disabilities.

Starlite are you Becky?
Seriously, go back and look at some of her posts. She has called people with Crohn's "line skippers" and has told someone with MS that her friend with MS has run marathons so they don't need DAS. She has IBS and compared it to ulcerative colitis (not even remotely close). She has never had DAS and brags how she doesn't need it and comes on her and dishes out advice to those who aren't asking for it. People are sad, nervous and upset about these changes. I have blocked her.
I have read her posts, and even tho I don't remember everything she has said from I recall they are mostly the same. Her stating over and over her experience and why she is excited for the change while also repeating that she knows what works for her might not work for others.

Maybe for her her IBS works similarly to ulcerative colitis, maybe it's just an example she used since it's a more common affliction so those of us who don't know what IBS + similar issues are like. I don't know, and you don't either but so many seem inclined to take her words in the worst way possible. In a thread about disabilities, accommodations, understanding and neurodivergence, the vitriol is very upsetting to read. It's like if people don't agree certain issues need DAS they don't an opinion.

I asked because so many people seem to be upset with her for stating her (apparently unpopular) opinion and figured I was missing something. From your response, it seems like I am not.

For those of you who cannot do Disney without the DAS in its current form, how do you navigate other scenarios that have similar issues but no available accommodation? Airport, concert, festival, etc. Places that have long lines, large crowds, but no DAS.
Airports do have accommodations.

Concerts (at least here in the UK) have designated areas for various different needs. One is being seated in a designated accessible area with a bathroom right there next to you.

No other situation in my life involves long queues. If they do, like airports, there is special assistance available.

With how time consuming, frustrating, unreliable, and subjective the cast members can be at determining who qualifies I'm not sure how it was even being abused.
I spent hours and sometimes multiple days to get through and one time I was approved the next denied the next approved for a disability that is from birth and unchanging.
There are people that are very good at working a situation with other people, especially with video where you can illicit feelings of comraderie or empathy. If you're good at reading people, it is a minor thing to get what you want on those calls. Please note I am not advocating for such things, just saying people who are good at that sort of thing and set to work a system are going to work the system.

I will speak to my experience as a pretty able body person traveling with a person who requires a DAS... I would not necessarily agree it is a superior experience. When I travel with my son, who requires a DAS, every moment revolves around his needs. There is no rope dropping- he can't handle the crowds. He cannot be in a park for more than 5 hours straight (and even that is a stretch) without having a meltdown. I have to find places in the park that are not over stimulating and forgo a lot because of crowds. It is exhausting.

I have also traveled with my DD22 and it is, IMO, a better experience. We can rope drop. We can see a parade (crowds are too much for my son). We can watch Happily Ever After from the Hub and see the projections. We can go from open to close with maybe a show or sitdown midday to refresh. I do not agree with your assessment that those traveling with a guest that actually needs a DAS (not abusing) are getting a superior experience.
That’s why I put superior in quotes, because I acknowledge it’s not true in all cases.

But, for those able-bodied guests who are not spending their waiting time tending to the needs of their DAS companion, I think it’s fair to say the overall waiting experience is better in many cases.

As a parent, I have immense respect and admiration for anyone caring for a child with needs. I acknowledge all the challenges that must accompany that role and I’d never try to diminish that.

Edited: spelling

Last edited:
I have read her posts, and even tho I don't remember everything she has said from I recall they are mostly the same. Her stating over and over her experience and why she is excited for the change while also repeating that she knows what works for her might not work for others.

Maybe for her her IBS works similarly to ulcerative colitis, maybe it's just an example she used since it's a more common affliction so those of us who don't know what IBS + similar issues are like. I don't know, and you don't either but so many seem inclined to take her words in the worst way possible. In a thread about disabilities, accommodations, understanding and neurodivergence, the vitriol is very upsetting to read. It's like if people don't agree certain issues need DAS they don't an opinion.

I asked because so many people seem to be upset with her for stating her (apparently unpopular) opinion and figured I was missing something. From your response, it seems like I am not.
Have you read all her posts? She definitively stated that DAS is not the appropriate accommodation for people with Crohn's. She doesn't even have Crohn's. So yeah, people are upset by her saying that and then doubling down when others try to tell her otherwise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter