DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Right and this is exactly why a bathroom "return to line" pass won't work for most. So if the closest exit is nearest to the onboarding of the ride, can you imagine asking those people to let you "cut" them? All the while having a medical issue that makes it so you might have moments to spare. It's not the returning to line, it's the leaving the line for us.
They also don't explain what will happen in the very likely event that the rest of the party reaches the front of the line before their relative returns from their "bathroom issue." These people aren't popping out for a quick pee. Will the kids and I just stand there at the loading area indefinitely waiting for DH? Will they give us a card to return, but then we have to wait in the LL even though we already waited to the very front of the line? What if it takes an hour for his issues to resolve? I'm really just trying to envision how all of this plays out...

Keep advocating! You are doing best by you, continue your strength and stand by your needs. You are a great role model for those behind you and likely providing hope for many parents with younger children who are in your shoes.
i will try ❤️

They also don't explain what will happen in the very likely event that the rest of the party reaches the front of the line before their relative returns from their "bathroom issue." These people aren't popping out for a quick pee. Will the kids and I just stand there at the loading area indefinitely waiting for DH? Will they give us a card to return, but then we have to wait in the LL even though we already waited to the very front of the line? What if it takes an hour for his issues to resolve? I'm really just trying to envision how all of this plays out...
The likely answer is yes, you’ll have to do something like that.

I might get hate for this, but I do agree that DAS provides a superior experience for certain people, unfortunately those aren't the DAS users and their families who really need it.

I am not talking about parents with neurodivergent kids (or adults), or about folks that suffer other conditions + their carers. Imo these folks are exactly who DAS is for.

I am talking about the parties of DAS users who are upset about the new party size restrictions because they won't be able to bring their families + the friends of their family members. Imo those extra non-family members are having a superior experience to both DAS users AND other guests.

My guess is Disney thinks so too, since they are restricting to 4 guests total (or immediate family only) .
Yes, thank you; that’s what I was getting at. You stated it better than I did.

I know that a certain percentage of people will be struggling to provide care during their waiting period, but a certain percentage are doing more enjoyable activities than waiting in a boring line.

Last edited:
I think if that only happened very occasionally then it wouldn’t be so bad. What Disney is failing to see is how this would happen multiple times a day for some people. Even multiple times a day in the same queue! I honestly can’t envision it either.

I’m so confused with that copy/paste email response we all got. If my trip is May 23rd, am I able to call 30 days prior or is NO ONE able to have a video call until May 20th?
Has it been confirmed anywhere that those with trips prior to 6/20 (30 days from the "new process" aren't going to still have the regular das interview/booking experience? I'm just wondering if what we're really waiting on is 5/20 before they roll out the new process. If you have a trip booked for 6/1, will you be able to do your das virtual interview and still book like you currently can on 5/1? I'm just wondering if the. new process doesn't start until 5/20??

Has it been confirmed anywhere that those with trips prior to 6/20 (30 days from the "new process" aren't going to still have the regular das interview/booking experience? I'm just wondering if what we're really waiting on is 5/20 before they roll out the new process. If you have a trip booked for 6/1, will you be able to do your das virtual interview and still book like you currently can on 5/1? I'm just wondering if the. new process doesn't start until 5/20??
I’ve asked this too but like someone else said, actual questions for actual people with actual trips are buried by the debate.

The verbiage on this is all over the place. Some have spoke to CMs saying you can still apply 30 days out, others have had feedback that you’ll need to wait until 20th May to apply. I think unless we hear anything else, just apply 30 days out and see what happens. Hopefully you’ll be looked at on the old rules.

I think if that only happened very occasionally then it wouldn’t be so bad. What Disney is failing to see is how this would happen multiple times a day for some people. Even multiple times a day in the same queue! I honestly can’t envision it either.
Not to mention, there often isn't room for more than a couple of people to wait in the loading area or back entrance. And if we just end up back in the lightening lane, then how is that solving the issue of too many people in the LL?

I’m going the week before this is implemented. I’ll be at 30 days tomorrow. I might not do the chat/video call tomorrow as it seems that the site might be getting a lot of traffic just from questions. Also, it’s normally taken me hours so I need to dedicate a day to the laptop sitting by me. So when I do mine I’ll report back if anything has changed already.

My youngest daughter has cerebral palsy. She is mostly spastic quad, which means basically her whole body physically is affected. She also has dystonia and huge variations in muscle tone - we used to say she could go from rag doll limp to Barbie doll stiff in a few seconds.
But, the physical things are only a small part of what she has to deal with
Yes, his is variable. Not always weak on one side. At Pt this week he could stand for 9 seconds on right leg and 2 for left. Though he’s never stiffened. His sib was stiff, sib got FASD diagnosis and ASD. Possible CP kid has clinodactyly which is common in FASD. For now he has static encephalopathy.

I’ve asked this too but like someone else said, actual questions for actual people with actual trips are buried by the debate.
Yes, I know I try to skim (I'm not here for the debate, just looking for actual facts which unfortunately Disney has released little of.) I'm just not sure if they're planning on basically shutting down the virtual calls from 4/20-5/20 (seems insane to me - what are ppl. who have a trip on 5/21 supposed to do?) or if the calls/process will be the same until 5/20. - So if you call 5/19 for your 6/19 trip will you be treated with the old process? The part about nothing will be discussed until their new process starts on 5/20 seems to support this, but who knows.

The thought is there won’t be you and your party of 4,6,? In the LL. Just you. Or if they do it by rider switch you and one person would be in the LL, not your whole party.

Not to mention, there often isn't room for more than a couple of people to wait in the loading area or back entrance. And if we just end up back in the lightening lane, then how is that solving the issue of too many people in the LL?
Exactly. I can confidently give so many reasons why the return to line (in the form described so far) would not work for me and I don’t see a way Disney could justify it otherwise. My concern is getting those points across verbally on the video call with Disney when anxiety kicks in.

Many of our questions will be answered once someone with an other than neurodivergent disability has a pre-arrival conversation with a CM and comes back to report their result. Mine would be on April 27th. I will come back and let everyone know if I get the DAS.
Seems now like I'm in one of those dreams where I'm almost to the goal but then it keeps moving farther away!

The thought is there won’t be you and your party of 4,6,? In the LL. Just you. Or if they do it by rider switch you and one person would be in the LL, not your whole party.
That would be a better accommodation for me than leaving and rejoining the line. The issue is it’s just me and my partner and he is my carer, so we’d both just be going in together. No one would be in the main queue so then isn’t it just back to DAS?

Yes, I know I try to skim (I'm not here for the debate, just looking for actual facts which unfortunately Disney has released little of.) I'm just not sure if they're planning on basically shutting down the virtual calls from 4/20-5/20 (seems insane to me - what are ppl. who have a trip on 5/21 supposed to do?) or if the calls/process will be the same until 5/20. - So if you call 5/19 for your 6/19 trip will you be treated with the old process? The part about nothing will be discussed until their new process starts on 5/20 seems to support this, but who knows.

None of us really know yet unfortunately. Hopefully we'll hear at least that much by 4/20.

Depending on who you ask though, some people have said you will be allowed to do the video chat on 4/20 for a trip on 5/20 and incrementally each day forward.

Disney has really not done a good job of informing us on what exactly their plan is and quite frankly I'm not sure if they really know what the plan is either other than what they have already told us.

It is like they're trying to build the plane while they're flying it and not doing a very good job at communicating with us how things will work. We know their intention (reduce the number of DAS users and reduce the number of people using the lightning lane) but thats about all we really know.

I’m interested in this too. I have exactly this problem, so I guess I will still call May 1 and see what happens. 🤷‍♀️

And if we just end up back in the lightening lane, then how is that solving the issue of too many people in the LL?

Someone posted a link earlier about a bathroom pass at Disneyland for when galaxy edge opened (not sure if it actually happened or just talked about). It said that you’d leave the line, return in the FP line, and seemed like you’d meet your party at the merge point. If that’s what they are thinking for this, now you’d have one person using the LL line (maybe two if the person needs a caretaker or assistance) rather than the entire party.

I’m not saying this is what they will do. I’m also not saying this will be good for all people that no longer qualify for DAS.

Im just saying I could see the return to line pass cutting down on the LL line if this is how it’s done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter