DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

None of us really know yet unfortunately. Hopefully we'll hear at least that much by 4/20.

Depending on who you ask though, some people have said you will be allowed to do the video chat on 4/20 for a trip on 5/20 and incrementally each day forward.

Disney has really not done a good job of informing us on what exactly their plan is and quite frankly I'm not sure if they really know what the plan is either other than what they have already told us.

It is like they're trying to build the plane while they're flying it and not doing a very good job at communicating with us how things will work. We know their intention (reduce the number of DAS users and reduce the number of people using the lightning lane) but thats about all we really know.
Yes Disney. Pick a lane, have a plan, communicate better with your guests.

That would be a better accommodation for me than leaving and rejoining the line. The issue is it’s just me and my partner and he is my carer, so we’d both just be going in together. No one would be in the main queue so then isn’t it just back to DAS?
Yes for those of us with smaller parties, something like rider swap doesn’t really put fewer people into the lightening lane.

I think a gap here is going to be small groups of 2 or solos. A return to line would be an issue if it works like Disneyland as there would be no one else in the party to wait for at the merge point. How does Disney then determine when you can go on the ride?

If the other option is something like ride swap where some of the party physically queue and the disabled person+1 enter later through LL, again, that would not work as no one is physically queuing. If I was in a big party, this option would actually work for me as it still eliminates the need for me to be in standby lines. But how can they make it work for 2 people without it effectively being DAS if that 2nd person needs to be with the disabled person so can’t go in standby alone?

That would be a better accommodation for me than leaving and rejoining the line. The issue is it’s just me and my partner and he is my carer, so we’d both just be going in together. No one would be in the main queue so then isn’t it just back to DAS?
I think the difference is that the 2 person party would need to try stand-by first (assuming that's the line and the guests haven't purchased G+) and if the party needs to leave then they would rejoin via LL but they need to try stand-by first.

Thinking about it, if they use check points for the return-to-queue, maybe they would be spread out in 20-25 min intervals, so that someone that joins a 60 min line cannot spend 10 min in it and pretend to have an issue so they can jump into LL immediately after. Or maybe it will be time based, as in, you cannot rejoin via LL until X amount of time has passed. They could do all this digitally if they planned things right. I don't know but it's interesting for me to think about how it could work.

For those of you who cannot do Disney without the DAS in its current form, how do you navigate other scenarios that have similar issues but no available accommodation? Airport, concert, festival, etc. Places that have long lines, large crowds, but no DAS.
We don't go!! airport wise there are always plenty of toilets, and we are able to go through a shorter queue for disabilities, concerts and festivals would not be an option, i can honestly say I have never been to a single concert or festival and I am in my mid 30's. I avoid crowded places if they cannot meet certain requirements, and I only go places with long lines that can accommodate too. So essentially if Disney can no longer accommodate then we will never be able to go again which breaks my heart :(

For those of you who cannot do Disney without the DAS in its current form, how do you navigate other scenarios that have similar issues but no available accommodation? Airport, concert, festival, etc. Places that have long lines, large crowds, but no DAS.
I have a nerve pain issue which means I cannot sit upright or stand for long periods without significantly increasing my pain. I don't do concerts. I will avoid things that make me stand or sit upright for long periods of time. Flying is very difficult for me and causes a lot of pain. I have to take medications (which make me very sleepy so I can't use them at Disney) and also use a special foot prop that allows me to curve my back properly to avoid some of the pain. I can't use that in a wheel chair.
So for a lot of us, it is either don't do it (which is often the case) or find ways to accommodate and modify to be able to do it. I would like to be able to say that I can use accommodations to enjoy at Disneyland with my family rather than the alternative of "don't do it."

I think the difference is that the 2 person party would need to try stand-by first (assuming that's the line and the guests haven't purchased G+) and if the party needs to leave then they would rejoin via LL but they need to try stand-by first.

Thinking about it, if they use check points for the return-to-queue, maybe they would be spread out in 20-25 min intervals, so that someone that joins a 60 min line cannot spend 10 min in it and pretend to have an issue so they can jump into LL immediately after. Or maybe it will be time based, as in, you cannot rejoin via LL until X amount of time has passed. They could do all this digitally if they planned things right. I don't know but it's interesting for me to think about how it could work.

If they did time based - as in you cannot rejoin via LL until X amount of time has passed - it is essentially DAS, the difference being that you'd have to start in the standby line and then leave at a checkpoint (although it seems unlikely that Disney would add these checkpoints as Disney would need to pay a CM for each checkpoint) or at the entrance to the ride. If they only place CMs at the entrance to each line, the standby / LL merge point and the ride loading area like they do today - the CMs wouldn't be able to know how long you've been in the standby line when you ask for the return to queue pass unless it is at the merge point or ride loading area.

It all seems too complicated, but Disney seems to like complicated and confusing.

I have noticed (on both coasts) the second taps for LL entry are almost never used (I think test track is the only place I’ve had to do a second tap, maybe 7DMT?) — it always seems to me like it would be easy to slip between lines on many of the rides as I walk the LL queue. I assume they are doing it to save labor costs (maybe relying on cameras?) so I wonder if the “return to line” idea is actually feasible given labor shortages — I would think you’d either need everybody to scan in (to determine when they could return to line) at initial line entry OR you would need someone manning an exit tap point (and even then you’d need to figure out how long they had been in line)— otherwise everybody abusing DAS will suddenly have a teeny tiny bladder and leave lines 5m in only to return to LL. I wonder if it’s going to be a separate feature that may require pre-registering?

Unless Disney has been planning this for a while, which I doubt or they could have immediately released information on the return to queue process, I just can’t see them having implemented something so refined, let alone involve digital capabilities, by next month.

I think an option where max 2 per LL and rest of the party have to queue in standby would be the good middle ground between DAS and return to queue. Whole party physically go to the attraction, most enter standby, CMs give the LL to the disabled person and their accompanier to return in X amount of time. Lots of extra work for CMs though but this option would work for me if I ever went in a large party.

I have noticed (on both coasts) the second taps for LL entry are almost never used (I think test track is the only place I’ve had to do a second tap, maybe 7DMT?) — it always seems to me like it would be easy to slip between lines on many of the rides as I walk the LL queue. I assume they are doing it to save labor costs (maybe relying on cameras?) so I wonder if the “return to line” idea is actually feasible given labor shortages — I would think you’d either need everybody to scan in (to determine when they could return to line) at initial line entry OR you would need someone manning an exit tap point (and even then you’d need to figure out how long they had been in line)— otherwise everybody abusing DAS will suddenly have a teeny tiny bladder and leave lines 5m in only to return to LL. I wonder if it’s going to be a separate feature that may require pre-registering?
Frozen and Space Mountain are other rides that have a second LL touch point.

I have a nerve pain issue which means I cannot sit upright or stand for long periods without significantly increasing my pain. I don't do concerts. I will avoid things that make me stand or sit upright for long periods of time. Flying is very difficult for me and causes a lot of pain. I have to take medications (which make me very sleepy so I can't use them at Disney) and also use a special foot prop that allows me to curve my back properly to avoid some of the pain. I can't use that in a wheel chair.
So for a lot of us, it is either don't do it (which is often the case) or find ways to accommodate and modify to be able to do it. I would like to be able to say that I can use accommodations to enjoy at Disneyland with my family rather than the alternative of "don't do it."
I’d echo this, but add in an option C—I’ll still do the thing, but know going in that I’m going to pay for it but it’s worth the spoons.

This is already the case for me at Disney, even with DAS—I’ll never go without a rest day or two mixed in, make sure to have sit down dining planned for a break, always rope drop because I will need a break and being out of the park for the hottest part of the day is a must, and plan for a few days of recovery after the trip. Even with these modifications, I struggle. I don’t know how it will be possible without the added modification of DAS.

Someone posted a link earlier about a bathroom pass at Disneyland for when galaxy edge opened (not sure if it actually happened or just talked about). It said that you’d leave the line, return in the FP line, and seemed like you’d meet your party at the merge point. If that’s what they are thinking for this, now you’d have one person using the LL line (maybe two if the person needs a caretaker or assistance) rather than the entire party.

I’m not saying this is what they will do. I’m also not saying this will be good for all people that no longer qualify for DAS.

Im just saying I could see the return to line pass cutting down on the LL line if this is how it’s done.
I have read that they have been trying different things at both WDW and Disneyland. There is no way to know exactly how it will roll out. It MIGHT be something we've already heard a little about - like Disneyland Galaxy's Edge or it might be something totally different.

I do know that when I contacted WDW last Fall and this Spring for DAS for my daughter, I was asked about multiple situations which might cause us to need to leave the line. The CM wanted to know the specific situation, whether we thought we would be able to rejoin the line and, if so, how long we would need to be out for each situation.
So, it appears they have been doing some research on 'line leaving' with guests who have been calling in for DAS.
I also know that when the change was made from GAC (Guest Assistance Card) to DAS, they did consult with multiple disability groups for different disabilities. Hopefully, they are doing that again

Not to mention, there often isn't room for more than a couple of people to wait in the loading area or back entrance. And if we just end up back in the lightening lane, then how is that solving the issue of too many people in the LL?
Yes, this was my first thought as well. It doesn't seem like they've put much thought into people who need to leave the line and return for some reason. When you start having huge numbers of people needing this accommodation where do you stage them while they wait for their party to reach the front?

For me, I do not go to events with large crowds, concerts, etc. We used to have season tickets for the PNW ballet and we ended up giving it up after having a really bad hypoglycemic event where I was trapped until intermission. I was too mortified to have to exit in the middle of a large performance. As for places like an airport, I am trapped and able to go someplace to check my blood sugar. I will say, I had a terrible run in with TSA years ago at LAX when we were running late to the airport (parents with a toddler and infant I'm sure can relate). My blood sugar was fine when we left for the airport and planned on getting a bite to eat inside but there was an enormous queue for security that we hadn't anticipated. I became extremely stressed we wouldn't make our flight and by the time we got up to the security screening, my blood sugar was starting to crash and the agent was giving me grief about a pat down (which I requested as my pump cannot go through the body scanners). I was bawling by the time as they sent my DH into another line with our stroller and I was left with an infant, a toddler who refused to go through the metal detector unless I was holding his hand. It was so bad that an LAPD officer came to help me and offered to help. After that, I have become extremely anxious with long queues, for anything.

If they did time based - as in you cannot rejoin via LL until X amount of time has passed - it is essentially DAS, the difference being that you'd have to start in the standby line and then leave at a checkpoint (although it seems unlikely that Disney would add these checkpoints as Disney would need to pay a CM for each checkpoint) or at the entrance to the ride. If they only place CMs at the entrance to each line, the standby / LL merge point and the ride loading area like they do today - the CMs wouldn't be able to know how long you've been in the standby line when you ask for the return to queue pass unless it is at the merge point or ride loading area.

It all seems too complicated, but Disney seems to like complicated and confusing.
Not necessarily, lots of queues already have CMs roaming the lines to supervise and maintain order. One of the responses someone on the thread got was about how the new procedures were gonna be handles by ride operations (I don't remember the exact name). Plus it seems like they are removing the blue umbrellas if all disability services are moving to a centralized location for each coast (my assumption, I'm not sure what other service the blue umbrellas provide).

It wouldn't be unreasonable to think that these CMs can be trained to use a scanner. As I said, I don't know how they plan to manage the return-to-queue accommodation but there are some easy options imo. Specially if it works like rider switch, the tech is already there. They just need an extra category.

I’ve asked this too but like someone else said, actual questions for actual people with actual trips are buried by the debate.
Ive been looking for answers too. our trip starts 6/18 so my 30 day registration would be 5/19. Will we be old rules or new? will i wait on hold to be told to call back tomorrow, the start of the new rules? the changes will have a huge impact on our trips in general, but especially a summer one!

Plus it seems like they are removing the blue umbrellas if all disability services are moving to a centralized location for each coast (my assumption, I'm not sure what other service the blue umbrellas provide).
I highly doubt they are removing the blue umbrellas. They're not just for DAS, they're guest relations umbrellas. And even for DAS use, it's not just for providing a DAS. They can help troubleshoot the MDE app when either glitches or errors occur and you can't clear a DAS even though you've already ridden the ride you had a DAS return time for. They can help clear the already used DAS out so that you can book another. I imagine they also troubleshoot MDE for Genie+ and other GR issues for all park guests.

I’d echo this, but add in an option C—I’ll still do the thing, but know going in that I’m going to pay for it but it’s worth the spoons.

This is already the case for me at Disney, even with DAS—I’ll never go without a rest day or two mixed in, make sure to have sit down dining planned for a break, always rope drop because I will need a break and being out of the park for the hottest part of the day is a must, and plan for a few days of recovery after the trip. Even with these modifications, I struggle. I don’t know how it will be possible without the added modification of DAS.
Agree, I pay for it even with DAS. But the DAS means I can do a full day and have a day of recovery after instead of having to stop my day (and every one else with me) and leave the parks early because I am in too much pain and now also have 2 to 4 days of recovery.
I take lots of breaks and often one or two visits to the nurse station to do my stretches and maybe ice my back. That does help too.

I think if you have a DAS reservation you should not be allowed on any other rides. And I have. a kid with autism who needs DAS I think it contributes to the abuse.
I understand your point, and even agree for the purposes of ensuring an equitable experience between DAS and non-DAS users, but I can't see Disney ever implementing this.

Not only would they have to foot the cost of installing additional turnstiles at the standby entrances for every ride, they would have to pay to have the program that would track taps (with DAS users' taps being differentiated from non-DAS users' taps) developed, tested, pushed to prod, and to then have it undergo regular troubleshooting when issues inevitably arise - not to mention having to code updates, beta test those updates to ensure it doesn't take the parks offline, etc.

That would be an immense cost with very little financial return, as the only function would be to ensure DAS users didn't get any extras.

It would just be more trouble than it's worth, which, though it is objectively unfair, means the ability to ride other things whilst waiting for your DAS return time likely isn't going anywhere.

We'll see, though; Disney has certainly made its fair share of unexpected judgment calls

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter