DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I’m curious to see how it goes for my upcoming trip. My twins *should* qualify with the new rules, I think, but this was going to be our first time requesting DAS for them. Our first day in the parks is 5-20. Will we be able to get online on 4-20 or will we have to wait until our first day in the parks? My immediate family/household is going, husband and 5 kids, but one kid is newly 18. Will we be able to all do DAS or not? Following this and other pages closely for updates!

I’m curious to see how it goes for my upcoming trip. My twins *should* qualify with the new rules, I think, but this was going to be our first time requesting DAS for them. Our first day in the parks is 5-20. Will we be able to get online on 4-20 or will we have to wait until our first day in the parks? My immediate family/household is going, husband and 5 kids, but one kid is newly 18. Will we be able to all do DAS or not? Following this and other pages closely for updates!
If both twins qualify you should be able to put one parent on twin A’s account with 3 kids and one parent and the 18 year old on twin B’s account. Just book all your DAS returns together and you should be fine.

Not necessarily, lots of queues already have CMs roaming the lines to supervise and maintain order. One of the responses someone on the thread got was about how the new procedures were gonna be handles by ride operations (I don't remember the exact name). Plus it seems like they are removing the blue umbrellas if all disability services are moving to a centralized location for each coast (my assumption, I'm not sure what other service the blue umbrellas provide).

It wouldn't be unreasonable to think that these CMs can be trained to use a scanner. As I said, I don't know how they plan to manage the return-to-queue accommodation but there are some easy options imo. Specially if it works like rider switch, the tech is already there. They just need an extra category.

Blue Umbrella CMs do a lot more than just support disability services. They help with using MDE overall, Genie+ and VQ issues, etc, so I don't think they would get rid of the Blue Umbrella CMs. Actually when I have visited blue umbrellas, the CMs there have always been working issues unrelated to disability, so I don't think they would even reduce them.

Will definitely be interesting to see what (if anything) Disney does with the return to queue accommodation or if it will just be the same as the bathroom pass with a new name.

Its certainly possible for them to come up with something new, I just agree with a previous poster who said they don't seem to have really planned much for this return to queue option - otherwise they would have had more information about it already.

My expectation is they will start with the same process that exists today for the bathroom pass but potentially tweak or update it over time based on customer feedback.

Ive been looking for answers too. our trip starts 6/18 so my 30 day registration would be 5/19. Will we be old rules or new? will i wait on hold to be told to call back tomorrow, the start of the new rules? the changes will have a huge impact on our trips in general, but especially a summer one!

We don't know yet, there has been some mixed messaging on whether the changes will be implemented on 4/20 for visits starting on 5/20 or whether everything will start on 5/20 for visits on 5/20-6/20 but we'll find out more I'm sure on or before 4/20.

Someone posted a link earlier about a bathroom pass at Disneyland for when galaxy edge opened (not sure if it actually happened or just talked about). It said that you’d leave the line, return in the FP line, and seemed like you’d meet your party at the merge point. If that’s what they are thinking for this, now you’d have one person using the LL line (maybe two if the person needs a caretaker or assistance) rather than the entire party.

I’m not saying this is what they will do. I’m also not saying this will be good for all people that no longer qualify for DAS.

Im just saying I could see the return to line pass cutting down on the LL line if this is how it’s done.
But then won't people who "need to leave the queue" for no other reason than to hop back in the LL? Not sure how this is supposed to cut down on "DAS abuse" if anyone can leave the queue and then be admitted via the LL? This whole "return to queue" option is so nebulous

Not necessarily, lots of queues already have CMs roaming the lines to supervise and maintain order. One of the responses someone on the thread got was about how the new procedures were gonna be handles by ride operations (I don't remember the exact name). Plus it seems like they are removing the blue umbrellas if all disability services are moving to a centralized location for each coast (my assumption, I'm not sure what other service the blue umbrellas provide).

It wouldn't be unreasonable to think that these CMs can be trained to use a scanner. As I said, I don't know how they plan to manage the return-to-queue accommodation but there are some easy options imo. Specially if it works like rider switch, the tech is already there. They just need an extra category.
I have not seen anything that indicates the Guest Experience umbrellas will be going. The only thing I've seen is that DAS will no longer be issued there. Most of their services are helping guests with directions and issues with the app - things like helping make Genie+ , mobil ordering food, etc
I have noticed (on both coasts) the second taps for LL entry are almost never used (I think test track is the only place I’ve had to do a second tap, maybe 7DMT?) — it always seems to me like it would be easy to slip between lines on many of the rides as I walk the LL queue. I assume they are doing it to save labor costs (maybe relying on cameras?) so I wonder if the “return to line” idea is actually feasible given labor shortages — I would think you’d either need everybody to scan in (to determine when they could return to line) at initial line entry OR you would need someone manning an exit tap point (and even then you’d need to figure out how long they had been in line)— otherwise everybody abusing DAS will suddenly have a teeny tiny bladder and leave lines 5m in only to return to LL. I wonder if it’s going to be a separate feature that may require pre-registering?
Our experience is only WDW. We've noticed the second scan seems to random. For example, one day the Mermaid ride at MK wasn't using it and a few days later it was. Same for Imagination at EPCOT. Soarin and Toy Story Midway Mania pretty much always had the second scan for us
Ive been looking for answers too. our trip starts 6/18 so my 30 day registration would be 5/19. Will we be old rules or new? will i wait on hold to be told to call back tomorrow, the start of the new rules? the changes will have a huge impact on our trips in general, but especially a summer one!
I just went back to the Disney DAS website area and they changed it again. Yesterday, it said something to the effect of guests arriving from now until May 19 would be screened using the old process. Now it says this:
For Guests visiting from April 9 through May 19, 2024, please note:
  • Pre-arrival conversations to determine eligibility for DAS are available 2-30 days prior to your park visit.
  • In-person conversations to determine eligibility for DAS will continue to be at Guest Relations locations.
  • You can book up to 2 one-hour return windows for select experiences using our DAS Advance planning option.
  • DAS is valid for up to 30 days from the start of the registration. Once the service has elapsed, Guests will need to re-register.
Besides this thread, I've also been following other Social Media since the announcement on April 9. One person just posted that her sister, who had registered for DAS for many years was turned down when she applied today. She did not tell whether it was for WDW or Disneyland or what sorts of issues she has with waiting in line, but said she was offered Return to Line and also using a type of Rider Swap process where apparently part of her group would wait in line while she and the rest waited, then entered the Lightning Lane to join up with them (at least as she understood and explained it).

My biggest question is how do they plan on us getting out of line? For me, and probably a lot of those with IBD, we need to be able to exit immediately and head to the bathroom. Fighting to the entrance, merge point or loading platform then finding a CM and informing them of the issue before obtaining a pass is NOT a viable option.

But then won't people who "need to leave the queue" for no other reason than to hop back in the LL? Not sure how this is supposed to cut down on "DAS abuse" if anyone can leave the queue and then be admitted via the LL? This whole "return to queue" option is so nebulous

If they leave the line, then they are splitting from their group. I guess they could just abuse it and go in the LL line, but the rest of their party would still be in the regular line. So one person is in the LL line instead of the entire family. May not sound like much, but I’m sure taking a couple people out of the LL line will add up if it’s being abused as much as they think it is.

I would also think there would be some kind of scan or something of you band/ticket. So I doubt you’d be able to get out of an hour long line right away and hop over into the LL line.

Some interesting points I think in that reply.

They’ve seemed to confirm the CM video calls will take place for all accommodations, not just DAS. Website suggests these are only for applying for DAS but that’s not going to be the case if that reply is accurate.

They say how some guests who were enrolled in DAS will now be offered alternatives but the conversation will be individual and matched to users’ needs. I think for some needs, Disney will struggle to justify how return to line is appropriate.

Still need more information but the reply reads to me that DAS is intended for developmental disabilities, but everyone can still have the call and accommodations will be individual and based on needs. If the only reasonable accommodation is DAS, I think it will be offered despite the condition potentially not being developmental.
For guests in the EU, I do wonder about GDPR and why the video service is blocked from access in the first place. If one is no longer in the EU, GDPR doesn't apply. If you are, it does. Where are you when you are using VPN?

I highly doubt they are removing the blue umbrellas. They're not just for DAS, they're guest relations umbrellas. And even for DAS use, it's not just for providing a DAS. They can help troubleshoot the MDE app when either glitches or errors occur and you can't clear a DAS even though you've already ridden the ride you had a DAS return time for. They can help clear the already used DAS out so that you can book another. I imagine they also troubleshoot MDE for Genie+ and other GR issues for all park guests.

Blue Umbrella CMs do a lot more than just support disability services. They help with using MDE overall, Genie+ and VQ issues, etc, so I don't think they would get rid of the Blue Umbrella CMs. Actually when I have visited blue umbrellas, the CMs there have always been working issues unrelated to disability, so I don't think they would even reduce them.

That makes sense! I wasn't sure if they had other functions besides dealing with DAS. Thank you both for taking the time to explain ☺️

My biggest question is how do they plan on us getting out of line? For me, and probably a lot of those with IBD, we need to be able to exit immediately and head to the bathroom. Fighting to the entrance, merge point or loading platform then finding a CM and informing them of the issue before obtaining a pass is NOT a viable option.
Yes this. My DH would have to just leave, and I would be the one finding the CM and explaining why my DH just bolted out of line. And I assume I’d be having the conversation…in front of whoever was in earshot at the time? Sounds…lovely.

What’s going to happen is the kids and I will end up just riding without him, and then he just won’t want to go to Disney at all any more. Yay me.

My last Disney trip my kids needed to use the restroom many times. We were able to promptly exit every attraction; it wasn’t an issue. Disney deals with this every hour of every day. They let you back in line where you left.

I have noticed (on both coasts) the second taps for LL entry are almost never used (I think test track is the only place I’ve had to do a second tap, maybe 7DMT?) — it always seems to me like it would be easy to slip between lines on many of the rides as I walk the LL queue. I assume they are doing it to save labor costs (maybe relying on cameras?) so I wonder if the “return to line” idea is actually feasible given labor shortages — I would think you’d either need everybody to scan in (to determine when they could return to line) at initial line entry OR you would need someone manning an exit tap point (and even then you’d need to figure out how long they had been in line)— otherwise everybody abusing DAS will suddenly have a teeny tiny bladder and leave lines 5m in only to return to LL. I wonder if it’s going to be a separate feature that may require pre-registering?

Interesting. I just assumed they always scanned at the 2nd checkpoint. When we were at WDW, we always did. But now I'm trying to remember if we were prompted to do it by a CM or if we just did it because we're rule followers?

Interesting. I just assumed they always scanned at the 2nd checkpoint. When we were at WDW, we always did. But now I'm trying to remember if we were prompted to do it by a CM or if we just did it because we're rule followers?
They are often off or covered up. Are you usually there at a busy time? They tend to be unused during non peak times.

Hm, from my memory most of the time the 2nd tap ins are covered and not available for scanning. You might not even notice them and you probably can't scan in on them since I think they are turned off.

7DMT and Peter Pan are the ones I remember that always have the 2nd tap ins available and turned on.

Surprisingly I don't recall seeing them at Disney's newest rides, Cosmic Rewind, ROTR and Tron don't have one or at least I don't recall ever having to scan a 2nd time.

For those of you who cannot do Disney without the DAS in its current form, how do you navigate other scenarios that have similar issues but no available accommodation? Airport, concert, festival, etc. Places that have long lines, large crowds, but no DAS.

I've read though this thread. The one thing that concerns me was the HIPPA discussion. Many people on here have divulged way, way too much personal info. A very bad person can find that "suzysnowflake" has conditon X and lives in Happyville, through your profile that person can find out many things (depending upon what you posted there). Just be careful with your personal info! That is all for my PSA. We now continue with our DAS speculation.

They also don't explain what will happen in the very likely event that the rest of the party reaches the front of the line before their relative returns from their "bathroom issue." These people aren't popping out for a quick pee. Will the kids and I just stand there at the loading area indefinitely waiting for DH? Will they give us a card to return, but then we have to wait in the LL even though we already waited to the very front of the line? What if it takes an hour for his issues to resolve? I'm really just trying to envision how all of this plays out...
Great question. The details are still unknown and will be forthcoming.

Right now, folk simply get out of line, lose spot entirely without any remedy once entering the line. Under the graces of other guests, they are allowed to rejoin. Abuses on this 'rejoining', or better yet - joining for the first time from a 'bathroom break' will be cut down as that has become a significant issue in itself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter