• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I think something like this could work with some tweaking. Waiting in a holding area with the ability to switch from standing to sitting, room to move around, ability to eat and drink if needed, room to service medical equipment, and a bathroom nearby, that's reasonable.

The only thing I'm not sure about is solo travelers and groups of 2. I feel like there should be a way to allow both to wait together in the room, and then say, "Hey, the wait is 45 minutes, you can come out of this room and ride in 45 minutes." because it seems unfair to make the disabled person wait alone for hours. If I'm disabled and I go to Disney with my friend, I don't want to spend more than 50% of it alone. If it was a one off thing, it would be ok, but it's like wait 1 hour to ride for 2 minutes on every ride in the park, so you might as well go solo if you will be separated from your group for most of the day.

Holding rooms would be a great idea and cut down on abuse. You can't ride anything else if you are in a holding room, so it diminishes the attractiveness of faking.

The problem is the current child swap rooms are tiny and in no way ready to handle the volume of people this solution would lead to.
A holding room for my son with autism would be a non starter. Could you imagine multiple children or adults with special needs being held in a small area for 45 minutes where maybe one child needs to vocalize loudly and another needs to spin and one needs quiet? That would be unbearable for my son. And how does that work for single parents?

Some of these solutions so worried about abuse (especially when there is a 50/50 chance that Disney is just going to sell more genie+\LL to fill in any space left by fewer DAS guests) is really throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I think something like this could work with some tweaking. Waiting in a holding area with the ability to switch from standing to sitting, room to move around, ability to eat and drink if needed, room to service medical equipment, and a bathroom nearby, that's reasonable.

The only thing I'm not sure about is solo travelers and groups of 2. I feel like there should be a way to allow both to wait together in the room, and then say, "Hey, the wait is 45 minutes, you can come out of this room and ride in 45 minutes." because it seems unfair to make the disabled person wait alone for hours. If I'm disabled and I go to Disney with my friend, I don't want to spend more than 50% of it alone. If it was a one off thing, it would be ok, but it's like wait 1 hour to ride for 2 minutes on every ride in the park, so you might as well go solo if you will be separated from your group for most of the day.

Holding rooms would be a great idea and cut down on abuse. You can't ride anything else if you are in a holding room, so it diminishes the attractiveness of faking.

The problem is the current child swap rooms are tiny and in no way ready to handle the volume of people this solution would lead to.

I think the Rider Switch as it is fine especially if it's limited to one and another person. Would I rather my whole family be able to? [Yeah. Immensely! But it is something that works at least. Worst case scenario is me and my mom can be each other's partner in waiting somewhere cool.] Being stuck in a holding room might personally make my anxiety worse than not, but that might just be the idea of sticking anyone who doesn't fit into a room. [and each attraction would need a holding room while some of them are purely outdoor attractions.]

It is notable that anxiety is also seemingly not covered by DAS, but this rider switch seems fine as long as one can *hopefully* rejoin their party.

would these changes make you happy:

Deluxe resort get G+ as part of their stay?
No not at all. Given that those are likely the ones Disney is collecting the money from they won't either unless the cost is added to your room AND that money is accounted over to the Parks division. It could never be "free" like Universal, way too many resorts and if it is included in rate some would rather a lower rate than prepaying for G+.

On site guests can book two G+ return times per day at their 30 day from first park day window? Those are bonus rides, G+ would then work as normal - first pick at 7am yadda yadda yadda.
Don't like it for same reasons above but on other side as long as they are still paying for it ....... or how about if you opt to book in advance then your Genie+ per day cost will be higher.

G+ users can select rides as many times as they want (perhaps with some exceptions)?
NO NO NO - operation nightmare. You think you can't get times now ...

DAS pass then stays the relatively the same, maybe with a few minor modifications (no pre selection when registering, 10 minute delay between booking)
I think Disney has all the info they need that it can not stay the same. It has evolved into something it was never meant to be as they added more and more people to it. The LL will still be just as clogged or worse if you add any of the above items to the plan.

Would this make G+ more attractive to those who DONT need DAS (the true fakers - to maybe cut down abuse?), and make it a better alternative to those who needed DAS but maybe might not qualify any longer (which we hope is not the case)
If you still have to PAY for Genie+ then DAS attractiveness will never go away. Only Disney can determine how to reduce to those numbers and enforce it.

Sorry - just kind of thinking out loud here.
:thumbsup2 Thinking out loud is how things get done with full due diligence .. something many companies don't do.

I have been thinking about this- I guess the question is at the end of the day if you or your family were denied DAS would you still go to Disney?

I can say for my family, even with 6 months left on our out of state APs that we would not. It is already difficult enough even with DAS that the cons would outweigh the positives. We have a trip planned later this month before a DCL trip. We would still go on the cruise but if my son did not have the DAS part we would have skipped the parks (and onsite stay) to stay home and only get a hotel for the night before at the port.

Curious for others- would you still attend WDW or DL without a DAS pass?
We have gone 4-6 weeks a year for the last 15 years or so (prior to that 1-2 times since WDW opened). DS is 40, he began getting GAC about age 17 after a radical health change and an incident at BTMM. Right now we go about 3-4 times a year.

After an incident maybe 7 years ago we ended up leaving the park in a wheelchair due to a terrible incident at DHS, in the room for days then cancelling remainder of trip because there was going to be no recovery. So I do have to think about it every minute of every day at Disney

I've thought about this. I think one option for us would be 1 or 2 longer trips because we will end up in the room much more often to decompress. We used to go for 10+ days, spending full or half days in our room.

We will buy Genie+ and we will buy $ILL. That money will come out of our dining budget. Last two trips we did only QS, and given that we might have to leave park any minute we will not book any TS as we might not make it. We will get to opening to do as much as possible. We will take longer breaks and focus on night time (darkness helps) and close the park. There will be rides we won't get to do, that is reality.

The reality is I AM RESPONSIBLE for him, for meeting his needs, for keeping him safe, for making his trips the best they can be, to bring or use all the tools both physical or abstract to help him - just like every other day of his life. He lives for Disney World so I would never stop taking him, we just have to make some major adjustments. He's had a couple years he couldn't go until we got a better grip on some issues, but that is life. Disney is an optional luxury vacation and not a right ~ Disney already had made the parks a very welcoming place. If they don't offer him the DAS, it is up to me to either make the trip work or find someplace new to go.

There are plenty of places we no longer go to because they don't offer the access. Folks will have to make some hard choices.

Last edited:
For a party of 2 the only thing that would make sense is the current LL return time setup. Otherwise there is no one to come back to so the DAS person could just walk into the LL queue immediately, and the standby person could choose to wait to ride or not. Rider swap works because someone HAS to be outside with the non-rider. If there isn’t a non rider there is no reason to think someone would wait.

The Disneyland info makes clear that they will see teens as able to either wait in standby or be assists for adults, so anyone with teens as one of their children should expect they may also be shuffled into the rider pass situation.

As I said way earlier in the thread, it looks like DAS is being skewed for minor children needs only - whether they themselves need it, or whether they are traveling with a single aged 14+ member who needs accommodation.
I mean - autistic children become autistic teens and autistic adults and it's not like autism somehow lessens due to age. if that's the way this goes, I do think Disney will run into issues.

A holding room for my son with autism would be a non starter. Could you imagine multiple children or adults with special needs being held in a small area for 45 minutes where maybe one child needs to vocalize loudly and another needs to spin and one needs quiet? That would be unbearable for my son. And how does that work for single parents?

Some of these solutions so worried about abuse (especially when there is a 50/50 chance that Disney is just going to sell more genie+\LL to fill in any space left by fewer DAS guests) is really throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Rider switch sounds like their solution for bathroom issues, not autism.

The Disneyland info makes clear that they will see teens as able to either wait in standby or be assists for adults, so anyone with teens as one of their children should expect they may also be shuffled into the rider pass situation.

As I said way earlier in the thread, it looks like DAS is being skewed for minor children needs only - whether they themselves need it, or whether they are traveling with a single aged 14+ member who needs accommodation.
Not meaning to sound snarky here, but can you quote the statement that says so?

Rider switch sounds like their solution for bathroom issues, not autism.

It sounds like their solution for anxiety [they specifically mention a part of the queue triggering an anxious response]. And while I can't speak for every person with anxiety and only from my own experiences - it could easily be bad there as well, or for someone with PTSD.

It sounds like their solution for anxiety [they specifically mention a part of the queue triggering an anxious response]. And while I can't speak for every person with anxiety and only from my own experiences - it could easily be bad there as well, or for someone with PTSD.
Yes. Bathroom issues, and some other issues, but not autism.

Can you link to the messaging from Disney that says this? Not doubting that it does say this, I just don't remember it in what I read, and this would directly affect my hubby and his DAS use so I'd like to read it :)

Edit: Never mind, it got posted above

Yes. Bathroom issues, and some other issues, but not autism.
That is true! But I was just stating why several couldn't do a holding room situation making the situation even more complicated. [Which isn't happening I know anyone who quotes this! Just talking about the proposal of the idea which was brought up in this thread] Abuse will be cut back a lot by limiting it like this with the new rules Disney posted.

No not at all. Given that those are likely the ones Disney is collecting the money from they won't either unless the cost is added to your room AND that money is accounted over to the Parks division. It could never be "free" like Universal, way too many resorts and if it is included in rate some would rather a lower rate than prepaying for G+.

Don't like it for same reasons above but on other side as long as they are still paying for it ....... or how about if you opt to book in advance then your Genie+ per day cost will be higher.

NO NO NO - operation nightmare. You think you can't get times now ...

I think Disney has all the info they need that it can not stay the same. It has evolved into something it was never meant to be as they added more and more people to it. The LL will still be just as clogged or worse if you add any of the above items to the plan.

If you still have to PAY for Genie+ then DAS attractiveness will never go away. Only Disney can determine how to reduce to those numbers and enforce it.

:thumbsup2 Thinking out loud is how things get done with full due diligence .. something many companies don't do.

We have gone 4-6 weeks a year for the last 15 years or so (prior to that 1-2 times since WDW opened). DS is 40, he began getting GAC about age 17 after a radical health change and an incident at BTMM. Right now we go about 3-4 times a year.

After an incident maybe 7 years ago we ended up leaving the park in a wheelchair due to a terrible incident at DHS, in the room for days then cancelling remainder of trip because there was going to be no recovery. So I do have to think about it every minute of every day at Disney

I've thought about this. I think one option for us would be 1 or 2 longer trips because we will end up in the room much more often to decompress. We used to go for 10+ days, spending full or half days in our room. After an incident maybe 7 years ago we ended up leaving the park in a wheelchair due to a terrible incident at DHS, in the room for days then cancelling remainder of trip because there was going to be no recovery. So I do have to think about it every minute of every day at Disney.

We will buy Genie+ and we will buy $ILL. That money will come out of our dining budget. Last two trips we did only QS, and given that we might have to leave park any minute we will not book any TS as we might not make it. We will get to opening to do as much as possible. We will take longer breaks and focus on night time (darkness helps) and close the park. There will be rides we won't get to do, that is reality.

The reality is I AM RESPONSIBLE for him, for meeting his needs, for keeping him safe, for making his trips the best they can be, to bring or use all the tools both physical or abstract to help him - just like every other day of his life. He lives for Disney World so I would never stop taking him, we just have to make some major adjustments. He's had a couple years he couldn't go until we got a better grip on some issues, but that is life. Disney is an optional luxury vacation and not a right ~ Disney already had made the parks a very welcoming place. If they don't offer him the DAS, it is up to me to either make the trip work or find someplace new to go.

There are plenty of places we no longer go to because they don't offer the access. Folks will have to make some hard choices.
I have only used FP and DAS for my children. Using G+ for the first time next month.

I just don’t know how to make everyone find a happy medium - reduce wait times, accommodate those who need it (NOT FAKE IT), make money for a company, etc.

Obviously Disney needs more attractions/another park (okay maybe that is selfish and more for my own enjoyment!) but with the long lines and it seems G+ is selling out, some changes on all systems need to happen.

No one wants to pay more, obviously, but maybe they should offer some free perks to on site guests (FP), paid perks to all (G+), maybe even have tiers paid services. I don’t know. I don’t think taking away the DAS pass from those who actually need it is a good PR move though (even though we don’t fully know yet how it will work but they should have released more information when it rolled out)

I don’t think there will be any “holding rooms”; for one thing, I doubt that there is enough space for them. The person needing accommodation would still be able to do whatever they wanted while the people in the standby line are waiting to ride. The point is that by requiring at least some members of the party to go through the standby line as a condition of the person with medical needs being allowed to subsequently enter through the LL, the number of people in the LLs will be reduced and the incentive to abuse the system will be massively reduced.

That is true! But I was just stating why several couldn't do a holding room situation making the situation even more complicated. [Which isn't happening I know anyone who quotes this! Just talking about the proposal of the idea which was brought up in this thread] Abuse will be cut back a lot by limiting it like this with the new rules Disney posted.
I understand what you mean and agree. I was just responding to @dreamer17555’s post where she was concerned that her autistic son would have to wait in a separate room.

The post from the person who mentioned 14+ as the expected "caregiver/supervising role" age. That's right from Disneyland.

If they think a 14 year old can be a caregiver, they obviously think they can also wait in a line (aka, a lesser task).

View attachment 850877
Yikes. My husband and I both have Autism, with his sensory issues being even worse than mine, and neither one of us would be able to do the Rider Switch. Hope this isn't a blanket application for all adult Autistic folks.

Sorry, no. I was only referring to this as a solution for people with physical disabilities who we think are now going to be excluded from DAS.

People who need room to service medical equipment
People who need to switch between sitting and standing
People who need to be able to pace because standing or sitting still is extremely painful
People who need quick access to a bathroom

Basically, there is a small subset of people for whom a wheelchair or scooter doesn't fix their problem. This is who I am saying a holding room would be great for.

Those with autism and other mental problems such as PTSD or anxiety it looks like will continue to receive DAS, so they wouldn't be in a holding room, and I'm not suggesting they be. I definitely agree a holding room is not the place for people with anxiety or autism.

I don’t think there will be any “holding rooms”; for one thing, I doubt that there is enough space for them. The person needing accommodation would still be able to do whatever they wanted while the people in the standby line are waiting to ride. The point is that by requiring at least some members of the party to go through the standby line as a condition of the person with medical needs being allowed to subsequently enter through the LL, the number of people in the LLs will be reduced and the incentive to abuse the system will be massively reduced.
Not exactly a "holding room" but at Universal they have the rider swap rooms built into the queues/show buildings and I don't think the attractions at Disney even have room to add that.

Sorry, no. I was only referring to this as a solution for people with physical disabilities who we think are now going to be excluded from DAS.

People who need room to service medical equipment
People who need to switch between sitting and standing
People who need to be able to pace because standing or sitting still is extremely painful
People who need quick access to a bathroom

Basically, there is a small subset of people for whom a wheelchair or scooter doesn't fix their problem. This is who I am saying a holding room would be great for.

Those with autism and other mental problems such as PTSD or anxiety it looks like will continue to receive DAS, so they wouldn't be in a holding room, and I'm not suggesting they be. I definitely agree a holding room is not the place for people with anxiety or autism.

Anxiety (and similar) was specifically called out for rider swap in the Disneyland post.

No, I would expect that one other person would be allowed to accompany them, just as the current child swap (for children too small to do a ride) does not force people to ride alone (except when the party is just mom, dad, and one child, in which case it is unavoidable).

If this is the case - I wonder what is stopping someone from getting the rider switch for both parties, never entering the standby queue (or asking to leave the standby queue), waiting the appropriate amount of time required and then both riding through the Lightning Lane - it essentially would work just like DAS but perhaps with a little extra effort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter