DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I’m curious if Disney does have more saved in their system than they lead us to believe. They’ve always implied they could only see if you were previously registered for DAS but it would certainly help avoid abuse if they could see your reasoning for applying in the past and compare that to what you tell them after the changes take place.

Even a simple way to mark a case as physical vs cognitive/developmental. I’m in no way implying someone couldn’t have both types of disability but that a system to track reasoning for accommodation would certainly help them out.
I just thought this same thing. The past several times I have gotten it, they have said not to talk about any diagnosis things, but the reason for needing the pass and that nothing goes on record. And I wonder if it actually is and like you said, they will check now to see if you are saying the same thing you have in the past.

Ok I am 7 pages behind and only skimming at this point but I wanted to leave an update for people who registered previously and have another trip in their 60 day approval received before all the changes. I was approved for a March trip and my 60 days expires May 21. We are going May 13-16. I was unsure if I had to do another video call. I emailed to ask but got the same reply as everyone else did. So this morning I tried to book the pre arrival rides. When I got to the chat and clicked on that it dumped me out of it. It ended the chat. I tried again and got into another chat. Clicked on the prearrival and got a real person on chat and she verified it is good until 5/21 and did the pre arrival ride reservations. We don’t use them much but I wasn’t sure if my DAS would expire before then so I did this to see. She verified my 5/21 expiration. So anyone who already got 60 day approval you are good if going before May 20 anyway. Not sure what would have happened if we were going May 20 and 21 but feel lucky I didn’t have to redo the video chat. Will have a lot of time to see what happens to people before our one day October trip which I prob won’t register for and our December trip which I may try to talk to them about what can be done. I am willing to try whatever they offer. It is just 2 of us so will be interested in what future changes they make and offer to everyone. Epcot adding that whole area with seating and a fairly quiet area really helped me last trip. I highly recommend it as a break area for people who need it.

I will just say that in some Facebook threads about Universal's process, some people were posting that they had also searched for the license numbers so they could add it to their doctor letter. So, did the doctor write the letter or the person?
Most doctors are honest, but some are not. It wouldn't help with the what I would call 'rent-a-doctors' who would write up whatever the person paid them for.
There was kind of a big Medicare Fraud case many years ago that involved commercials for wheelchairs and scooters for elderly people. The commercials promised to get elderly people a 'free' mobility device paid for by Medicare. All you had to do was answer a few questions for their 'telephone doctor' and a mobility device would be sent to you 'free of charge' (actually paid for by Medicare). At the time I was a Home Care RN and one of my patients told me he was anxiously awaiting his wife's new wheelchair so they could go out easier and she could use it in the house. When it came, it was not the portable manual wheelchair they expected. It was a scooter that they couldn't get into their house because they had several steps to get in.
They also couldn't get it in their car because it was not one that broke down for transport.
The company wouldn't take it back and they couldn't get what they actually needed from Medicare because a mobility device had already been provided by Medicare.

And, the biggest point is that Disney doesn't want to get into legal and logistical problems of obtaining and verification of medical information

I believe that the company Universal uses probably does some spot checks. With the information they are asking for, they give the illusion of verification, but don't actually verify many.
I have only seen one account of someone who was turned down for the card, but after sending something else, he was accepted. I have seen MANY angry accounts of people who were approved for the Access Card, but totally turned down for any accommodations by Universal.
So, the card is kind of useless
I wonder if those people had Universal accommodations prior to the card? For the few people I have spoken to, Universal has not changed who qualifies for accommodations, only that the card was required first. We had no issues qualifying, even with a disability that theoretically Disney no longer accepts. Nor did we find the questions more rigorous or detailed.

2 reasons

1. The families of autistic families were who sued them last time

2. It stands to reason that kids with developmental disabilities will have the hardest time handling their party being separated. If they can’t handle the lines AND they can’t handle the separation, just do the DAS

It's also a FAMILY vacation. We vacation primarily at WDW because DAS has made is feasible for us to do so. If we have to split up (likely a parent and our DAS user, and the other parent and kiddo), it's no longer a family vacation. So we would no longer find WDW a place we can easily navigate for vacation.

I am starting to stress out about our June trip. If I have a bathroom emergency then stopping to speak to a cast member to get a LL or some other pass will not work. Previously I’ve quickly left the line and my travelling companion spoke to them at the LL exit and since my DAS was already noted I had no problem getting back in the LL line (although at the beginning, not where I had to make my quick escape). Anyone who has a disease which requires emergency bathroom visits which often end with embarrassing accidents will tell you that DAS has been a huge help. I hate to be “that guy” but this might be a deciding factor in future travel plans (which is very sad.)

It's also a FAMILY vacation. We vacation primarily at WDW because DAS has made is feasible for us to do so. If we have to split up (likely a parent and our DAS user, and the other parent and kiddo), it's no longer a family vacation. So we would no longer find WDW a place we can easily navigate for vacation.
Yes, that is how those families who will no longer qualify for DAS also feel.

Thinking of what a better system might look like that meets needs and discourages bad actors, I wonder if the following would work:

1.) Allow guests to choose from all available timeslots when selecting Genie+ slots, not just the soonest available.

2. All guests gets 1 Genie+ per day FOR FREE they can select up to 7 days in advance of their trip. During their trip they can select another after the first is used or after a 2 hour cool down, whichever comes first. (If this clogs things too much, you could change it to on-property hotel guests only and/or extend the cooldown.)

3. Guests also have the option to pay for A Macdaddy $$$ option (think what Universal charges or more) where you can pre-select 3 in advance and when the first one is used you can select another, but you can't have more than three active at once. Possibly include ILLs with this version. (Yes this is pay to play and no I personally don't like that aspect, but I'm trying to think like the Mouse while still letting non-premium paying guests get something.)

4. All ILL rides move to a virtual queue system for standby when the standby line becomes over 45 minutes. Or it's active 1 hour after park open to one hour before park close. Either/or. This way ropedroppers and end of nighters can still do their thing but you're not having people on 4 hour lines.

4. DAS remains as is in function, without being limited to developmental disorders, BUT you can't double-dip with the free Genie+, it's one or the other. You can of course add the Macdaddy version because Disney likes money.

Do people feel like this hypothetical would work for them? I'm curious as to why or why not.
1. I think that would be a huge positive change for G+ users of all types! Still won’t do anything for me because I can’t afford to pay for G+ every time I spend a day at WDW (local who visits often.)

2. Sounds like something others would enjoy! I’m still not paying for G+ lol, but also I never make advance selections now because I don’t know what I’ll want to do on any given day until I’m there. (ETA: I assume I wouldn’t get a free selection as an AP without a resort reservation in the first place in this scenario.)

3. Again, nope: not paying anything extra.

4a. ETA: just realized there were two 4s! VQ is great, but doesn’t take the place of DAS - for TRON, for instance, I’m VQing but then also need to use DAS when my group is called back.

4b. This would be fine for me, since I don't use G+ in the first place.

I’m curious if Disney does have more saved in their system than they lead us to believe. They’ve always implied they could only see if you were previously registered for DAS but it would certainly help avoid abuse if they could see your reasoning for applying in the past and compare that to what you tell them after the changes take place.

Even a simple way to mark a case as physical vs cognitive/developmental. I’m in no way implying someone couldn’t have both types of disability but that a system to track reasoning for accommodation would certainly help them out.
I’m pretty convinced they do store more than just a note that you've had DAS before - only because the last few times I’ve renewed, I opened with “I’d like to renew my DAS, please, as my 60 days expired a few weeks ago”, the CM pulled up whatever info they have on their iPad, seemed ready to ask what my needs were, then stopped, clearly read something, and said something to the effect of “Oh, yes, no problem. Just a moment… and you’re all set. Do you need to add any other parties today?” I mean, maybe I just happened to have had a few CMs that didn’t feel like questioning - it’s possible, I guess. But I suspect whatever note they have for me in there probably says why I need the DAS and that reason isn’t something that’s likely to have changed over a month or two.

Last edited:

Disney will continue to provide accommodations - it’s just a change in how that works.

And I have heard several folks who were denied at Universal for “bathroom-related” needs.
Universal didn't give us any issues, using the same description we had used previously. So maybe those denied didn't provide enough information. And providing accommodations that don't work, is the same as not providing them at all, which has been explained plenty, many posters just don't care.

I wonder what percentage of DAS users are locals who go very often in large groups. I’m just trying to figure out what Disney is trying to fix, because this ain’t gonna work.
Correct. This is either all theater, or its the first step in a series of much deeper cuts. We won't know which one it is for a couple months though.

I wondering if Disney didn't do this without our knowledge. I have noticed some people on here mentioning that their DAS gave them immediate entry onto the ride (or the length of time of the LL) - basically they could go right into the LL. My DAS pass did not allow that. My return time was equal to the current standby wait time. I thought everyone had to wait the current standby wait time, but some comments are making think that some DAS passes were different.
Other than Wish Trips, the references in this thread to immediate entry without waiting are for the program previously in use before DAS.
The Guest Assistance Card (GAC) had various stamps; one of them allowed immediate entry. That ended when DAS replaced GAC in 2013.

i know for sure Disney doesn't have a program other than Wish trips that allows guests on it to have immediate entry.
There was a lawsuit that challenged DAS when it started; the autistic guests and their families who brought lawsuits contended that they could only do the parks IF they continued to have a pass that allowed immediate entry whenever they wanted to whatever attraction they wanted.

During the lawsuits, the guests who brought the suit were issued DAS, used the same way as other guests. Some of them were also issued a few Guest Recovery entries per park day (similar to DAS Advance Selections. They could use those for immediate entry, but had only a few of them per day. Once they used them, they would have to get DAS Return Times, the same as the rest of DAS users.
The lawsuits dragged on for many years, but Disney won the lawsuit

Universal didn't give us any issues, using the same description we had used previously. So maybe those denied didn't provide enough information. And providing accommodations that don't work, is the same as not providing them at all, which has been explained plenty, many posters just don't care.
They haven't gone into all of the details yet so we can't really know if they do or don't work yet. I think a lot of people are getting upset because they are trying to get rid of a lot of traditional DAS users and move them to new accommodations that will seem like a "downgrade." But the fact that so many people see it as such means that DAS was just providing too much and was rife for abuse.

They haven't gone into all of the details yet so we can't really know if they do or don't work yet. I think a lot of people are getting upset because they are trying to get rid of a lot of traditional DAS users and move them to new accommodations that will seem like a "downgrade." But the fact that so many people see it as such means that DAS was just providing too much and was rife for abuse.
But how can DAS be providing "too much" if Disney is still offering it as "reasonable." It can't be both "too much" and "reasonable" at the same time.

But how can DAS be providing "too much" if Disney is still offering it as "reasonable." It can't be both "too much" and "reasonable" at the same time.
It's too much accommodation for people who are still able to wait in lines, whether with or without any other accommodations. It is reasonable for people with disabilities that make it impossible to wait in anything longer than a lightning lane length line (say that 5 times fast, it was hard to even type lol)

And it's too much when the one system they use for almost every disability (the DAS blanket) can both be accessed easily by, and is very attractive to, those that want to cheat the system to either save money or ride more rides

Last edited:
The problem with requiring documentation isn't just the potential for scammers. There are plenty of doctors out there willing to write a letter for whatever you want them to write. People have shared stories for years of how their doctor offered to write them a letter so they can be guaranteed a DAS (despite the fact that Disney has never looked at documentation) for things that the patient themself says does not prevent them from waiting in line. Some are trying to be helpful but don't really understand how everything works at Disney, others simply don't care and will write whatever you want to get you out of the office or keep you happy. Still others will do it and charge for the service to write whatever you ask them to.

Beyond that, what should even be in this documentation? Just acknowledgement that you do have x disability? Proof that you have x disability does not mean that you actually require accomodations. Disney actually won a lawsuit against them by someone who was denied DAS for anxiety. In court, it was verified by the person's doctor that they did have anxiety, however the court determined that it did not rise to a level of impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, in order for ADA to apply. Basically, just because they were diagnosed with anxiety doesn't mean they were entitled to accomodations under the ADA. Proving that you have a disability diagnosis does not prove that you need accomodations.

If the documentation required the doctor to state your limitations, unfortunately that can sometimes become speculative. For some things, a doctor can definitively say that yes, this patient has had their colon removed and as a result, has xyz issues. Or for some autistic patients, it might be obvious that they are having difficulty waiting in the waiting room, have a meltdown when the nurse draws their blood, etc so the doctor is able to observe the behaviors that would likely cause issues at Disney. For other disabilities, it's more of what you as a patient tell them as they are not there with you in every day life. They don't see how often someone goes to the bathroom or has panic attacks, etc. They are going off of your word, same as Disney, so that really isn't any different than you telling the CM in the Disney DAS chat. Sure the doctor can say that you have IBD or anxiety, but again, that doesn't prove severity or a need for accomodations.

Documentation is also hard to verify. It's been stated on here already the issues with Universal's outside system. It would require a ton of extra manpower to authenticate each and every letter and doctors are not always the easiest to get a hold of. Are they then going to deny people because they can't reach the doctor to verify the letter?

I get my care at the VA and they are ridiculously difficult to get a hold of, partially because they do not give direct lines for doctors. They also, in my experience do not like to write letters for any reason for patients. It took me months trying to get a letter for court concerning a medical issue related to mold in a rental home. The resulting "letter" was basically worthless. It said that I had been seen on x dates for [mentions a single vague symptom]. Didn't mention that the "visits" were actually hospitalizations, the other symptoms, the diagnosis of Toxic Mold Exposure, or the fact that continued or prolonged exposure was even more dangerous due to a confirmed severe allergy to the mold in question. The contact info consisted of the doctor's name, the affiliated hospital, and the hospital's address and main telephone line (automated service known for dropping calls, 6+ hour wait times, and bouncing you around between numerous departments). Getting a letter from my doctor would be dang near impossible, probably worthless with the info they're willing to put, and would be incredibly difficult to verify. Not to mention, my PCPs change on almost a yearly basis (common in the VA) so the likelihood that the doctor who wrote the letter will still be working there when someone calls to verify is also a crapshoot.

Overall, there are too many pitfalls for documentation to really be beneficial.
I find this kind of argument so interesting, because here in Europe (including at Disneyland Paris) you provide evidence of your disability or don't get a pass. That simple. And we do not seem to have the issues with misuse that the US does, and I have never heard issues of forged documentation. (I think some conditions that woul qualify in the US, would not easilt here though - there's sort of a threshold of disability...but in exceptional circumstance, there is always the option of a letter from a doctor, that they will look at, no issue.)

I find this kind of argument so interesting, because here in Europe (including at Disneyland Paris) you provide evidence of your disability or don't get a pass. That simple. And we do not seem to have the issues with misuse that the US does, and I have never heard issues of forged documentation. (I think some conditions that woul qualify in the US, would not easilt here though - there's sort of a threshold of disability...but in exceptional circumstance, there is always the option of a letter from a doctor, that they will look at, no issue.)
That's interesting I didn't know they did that in the international parks.
It could be that they want to ask about evidence/diagnosis here in the USA but are afraid because of US law, since some of the other parks that do it are getting sued

It probably does seem quite backwards but because in the U.S. documentation for medical things just in general is controversial and can depending on the situation run afoul with the law (that's why you see mention of the lawsuit against Six Flags using the same documentation requirement as Universal).

I know on our searching for our Europe trip (next month) there are plenty of discounts available to those with needs but they almost always require documentation to be provided to obtain that discount....that would just not be something you see here in the U.S.

The points brought up by posters over time on threads about burdens to gain documentation are valid and often sited.

I do think you're correct that there is probably more stricter qualifications on conditions outside of the U.S. that may be part culture part laws for why we have broader applications in the U.S.

It’s just how the law works in the US. I agree it would cut down on abuse.

Many of us have spent years going to the parks with a child not tall enough for many of the rides and have had to split our party (using rider swap) at those rides. And at least to me it always still felt like a “family vacation”. Of course that does not apply to all of the rides, just the ones with a height restriction, but similarly, DAS rider swap would not be needed for all of the rides, just the ones with long lines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter