DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I understand. I really don't want to be rude but other posters doing this to different kind of disabilities all over the forum... questioning everything...

So that little kids in their every day lives spending all of their time with ALL their family together?
I guess in a park environment is not their usual, cosy, safe place but something different and more challenging. I can get that. But that is true for other disabilities and health problems too. Others must have to come over unusual, challenging circumstances too.

My point is ONLY that is not fair to single out 1 particular disability!
Each and every disability has their unique own challenges for sure. As a whole, young ASD kids are distinctly behaviorally challenged on a good day. Throw in Disney environment - it's put on blast. Even neurotypical kids have difficulties -- but they adjust. Give them a moment or two (or three..four...five) they will come around and all is good in the world. That's not how ASD kids are wired unfortunately.

Disney realizes they are uniquely a family first theme park; moreso than other theme parks. They are trying to make reasonable accommodations. Is a larger segment ASD? probably so.

Should ASD families cut down/dismiss other persons with challenges of their own? No.

Pre-DAS with CAG, that was accomplished in many ways but was unfortunately abused to an extreme. Disney tried one-size fits all with DAS. They no longer believe it does and making changes.

My hope is the accommodations rolled out will be reasonable fit for each own's disability as well. My hope is that people here will engage WITH Disney to make the change processes reasonable accommodations.

And for those who are unable to utilize the return to line system?

In the end, legally, Disney does not need to make sure every person on the planet can ride their rides and enter their theme park. They just need to do what is reasonable for every person on the planet to ride their rides and enter their theme park. If it requires heroic, expensive efforts on their part, they don't need to accommodate a person. They can suggest the park may not be right for them.

In the end, legally, Disney does not need to make sure every person on the planet can ride their rides and enter their theme park. They just need to do what is reasonable for every person on the planet to ride their rides and enter their theme park. If it requires heroic, expensive efforts on their part, they don't need to accommodate a person. They can suggest the park may not be right for them.
Not sure they can or should suggest the park may not be right for them, but they can certainly say this is the accommodation we can offer for your particular needs, and then guest can decide whether or not the park is right for them.

I don't presume anything. In fact I stated I don't understand. I'm trying to point out that communicating one's needs in a manner that the CM can understand will be essential under the new system. Sometimes we think we've made ourselves clear, only to learn the intended message did not get through.

It's apparent that Disney plans to limit access to DAS and instead offer some other form of accommodation(s) for many. Regardless of what that other accommodation option(s) are... if someone claims that only DAS will work for them, they will have to find the words to communicate why so the CM can understand. Simply saying "if you have not experienced my situation then you cannot understand" is not likely to get the accommodation that person desires. While I don't know for certain, it is highly possible those who have had a DAS in the past may be prodded more to explain why they need it and that could be asking what they've done while waiting for a DAS Return Time.

Thinking about it now -- a month or more before their visit -- instead of waiting to be denied on the video chat, might help. Some posters have already starting thinking about it, and decided that maybe they can give a different accommodation a try. Obviously that may depend on the alternative accommodation. Others may decide they still feel they really do need DAS, in which case they will have to find a way to explain that.
Disney should review the guests history as well. They can see what their reasons have been all along, prior to LL. They might be able to see that while it's not a "developmental" issue, it is something that a wheelchair has not been able to help. They can view your usage as well, not just look at names associated with you since GAC. This alone should help people who truly need it, that have had it for years. Honestly, I see no reason for not getting verification forms filled out by your doctor, just as what Motor Vehicle requires for a Handicap placard.

Each and every disability has their unique own challenges for sure. As a whole, young ASD kids are distinctly behaviorally challenged on a good day. Throw in Disney environment - it's put on blast. Even neurotypical kids have difficulties -- but they adjust. Give them a moment or two (or three..four...five) they will come around and all is good in the world. That's not how ASD kids are wired unfortunately.

Disney realizes they are uniquely a family first theme park; moreso than other theme parks. They are trying to make reasonable accommodations. Is a larger segment ASD? probably so.

Should ASD families cut down/dismiss other persons with challenges of their own? No.

Pre-DAS with CAG, that was accomplished in many ways but was unfortunately abused to an extreme. Disney tried one-size fits all with DAS. They no longer believe it does and making changes.

My hope is the accommodations rolled out will be reasonable fit for each own's disability as well. My hope is that people here will engage WITH Disney to make the change processes reasonable accommodations.
Well said!

And agree đź‘Ť

Disney should review the guests history as well. They can see what their reasons have been all along, prior to LL. They might be able to see that while it's not a "developmental" issue, it is something that a wheelchair has not been able to help. They can view your usage as well, not just look at names associated with you since GAC. This alone should help people who truly need it, that have had it for years. Honestly, I see no reason for not getting verification forms filled out by your doctor, just as what Motor Vehicle requires for a Handicap placard.
There's a lot of protections of data and disclosures that needs to be enacted when obtaining health specific diagnosis and a whole can of worms opened when that is crossed.

Universal outsourced it and still has to deal with the determination of the accommodation.

Disney simple does not want to go there and looking at needs based irrespective of diagnosis to reach an offer of reasonable accommodation.

What allows rider swap to work for a person with severe physical impairments and not for a person with severe developmental disabilities? The problem with creating a disability hierarchy is that it isn’t logical, which is why Disney has likely not used one until this moment. I understand the belief of some is that Disney chose ASD because it was the basis of their last lawsuit that they won, but I’m curious why rider swap is being advocated as the solution to nearly every physical disability, but not developmental disabilities? Asking genuinely, I may have missed the answer as this thread is a sea of individual answers. I’m a big believer in fairness, so it’s tough to read the heart breaking stories of those with physical issues and then see people say “rider swap is your answer” without explaining why it wouldn’t work for all disabilities, given adequate party size for both.

I guess it's hard sometimes to understand another person's issues. For me, my back is an issue at times. It'll hurt walking too much but especially on rollercoasters or rides that jerk me around. Too many rides at Universal are those kinds of thrill rides. I find more to do at Disney.
And this is another issue that is addressed with DAS but not G+. A lot of people who use DAS because of medical conditions can't ride the thrill rides, or at least not a lot of them in day. For example, my dad's doctor has given him clearance to ride anything, and he loves coasters. But his pain levels won't let him do more than one, mayyyybe two, in a day. With DAS, if he's having a reasonably good day and feels like staying in the park more than a few hours, he can reride the things that don't make him hurt. But with G+, he couldn't. And standby lines are impossible for the reasons I've already detailed, so that leaves him out of luck if he can't get DAS anymore.

And it would be quite a legal lift for them to prove that providing DAS to my father falls into the "heroic, expensive efforts" category, when the park down the streets provides him with not their equivalent of a DAS, but actually a higher level of accommodations equivalent to the old GAC. And as a result, he spends at least part of one day almost every week at Universal, spending money.

What allows rider swap to work for a person with severe physical impairments and not for a person with severe developmental disabilities? The problem with creating a disability hierarchy is that it isn’t logical, which is why Disney has likely not used one until this moment. I understand the belief of some is that Disney chose ASD because it was the basis of their last lawsuit that they won, but I’m curious why rider swap is being advocated as the solution to nearly every physical disability, but not developmental disabilities? Asking genuinely, I may have missed the answer as this thread is a sea of individual answers. I’m a big believer in fairness, so it’s tough to read the heart breaking stories of those with physical issues and then see people say “rider swap is your answer” without explaining why it wouldn’t work for all disabilities, given adequate party size for both.
See my recent posts above.

Pre-DAS - CAG had separate solutions to address different needs.

For better or worse, they are returning to a multi-pronged solution.

"Developmental disabilities" covers quite a range of diagnoses. Not just autism spectrum disorder.
Disney's language on their DAS page has changed again. Formerly, it cited "developmental delay" and then referring to autism. The updated language now says "developmental disabilities" which, by default and in many cases law, include a number of disabilities.

The federal government defines developmental disability as a severe, chronic disability that initially occurs before the age of 22 and is likely to continue indefinitely. A developmental disability includes a mental or physical impairment, or a combination of both, and results in substantial limitations in three or more of the following major life areas:
  • Self-care
  • Expressive or receptive language
  • Learning
  • Mobility
  • Capacity for independent living
  • Economic self-sufficiency
  • Self-direction
If Disney follows the federal definition, more people than initially expected may remain still eligible for DAS, although adiult-onset conditions would still need to be addressed.

Being an IT person, I’m really intrigued with what Sue brought up earlier in the thread, ie, offering a DAS-like solution truly based on needs.

Can’t be in direct sunlight? DAS would only be usable for outside queues, and would be disabled at sunset.

Can wait a long time in certain types of queues but not in others? DAS would only be usable is queues that you specifically can’t wait in line.

Heat rather than direct sunlight is the issue? DAS is only usable when the temperature is above x degrees.

Can wait in any queue with a standby of less than an hour? DAS is only usable on queues with wait time greater than an hour.

it also makes me wonder how people use it now. For those with direct sunlight restrictions, do they use the DAS after the sun has gone down?

If Universal can request documentation from a doctor, why can't Disney? It's not a HIPPA violation. Motor Vehicle requires it as well for a placard. Disney can solve some issues by doing this. They can have their CM's verify that the Dr is a legit Dr instead of having the CM make basically a medical call on one's ability
Screenshot_20240414_131641_Samsung Internet.jpg

And it would be quite a legal lift for them to prove that providing DAS to my father falls into the "heroic, expensive efforts" category, when the park down the streets provides him with not their equivalent of a DAS, but actually a higher level of accommodations equivalent to the old GAC. And as a result, he spends at least part of one day almost every week at Universal, spending money.
Maybe, maybe not. Universal and Disney are very different when it comes to attendance numbers. Plus, the court already ruled that just because Disney provided a n accommodation previously doesn’t mean they have to continue providing it.

Disney's language on their DAS page has changed again. Formerly, it cited "developmental delay" and then referring to autism. The updated language now says "developmental disabilities" which, by default and in many cases law, include a number of disabilities.

The federal government defines developmental disability as a severe, chronic disability that initially occurs before the age of 22 and is likely to continue indefinitely. A developmental disability includes a mental or physical impairment, or a combination of both, and results in substantial limitations in three or more of the following major life areas:
  • Self-care
  • Expressive or receptive language
  • Learning
  • Mobility
  • Capacity for independent living
  • Economic self-sufficiency
  • Self-direction
If Disney follows the federal definition, more people than initially expected may remain still eligible for DAS, although adiult-onset conditions would still need to be addressed.
NOt just adult onset conditions, but conditions where the disability wasn't diagnosed until later in life, but has existed all along. For ex, autism is historically underdiagnosed in girls. It's not uncommon for them not to get diagnosed until later in life, even though the autism existed all along.

See my recent posts above.

Pre-DAS - CAG had separate solutions to address different needs.

For better or worse, they are returning to a multi-pronged solution.

I read your previous post, but it didn’t really explain why rider swap wouldn’t work. Would you mind explaining it to someone who doesn’t have a physical or developmental disability like myself? I thought this community would rally around one another in defiance and instead I’m seeing a lot of “sorry but rider swap will work for you, so that’s what you’ll get, my child it just wouldn’t work for because they are different”. So why would rider swap not work with say, the biggest needs level of ASD? I’m seeing people explain the behavior of the children, but not why rider swap wouldn’t work so I’m confused. Again I apologize if I missed it, I did read the last post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter