• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

If Universal can request documentation from a doctor, why can't Disney? It's not a HIPPA violation. Motor Vehicle requires it as well for a placard. Disney can solve some issues by doing this. They can have their CM's verify that the Dr is a legit Dr instead of having the CM make basically a medical call on one's ability
View attachment 851568
As has been covered in this thread, by and large IBCCES is not verifying that the doctor's note is valid. They do ask for a doctor's name and a certain ID number (which IBCCES links to the database to find during the application process, so you don't need the doctor to provide it), but they aren't contacting the doctor in every application to ensure they wrote the note, or that the content of the note is valid.

Maybe, maybe not. Universal and Disney are very different when it comes to attendance numbers. Plus, the court already ruled that just because Disney provided a n accommodation previously doesn’t mean they have to continue providing it.
At a minimum, it would likely be a PR nightmare that Disney doesn't want. They literally just added "inclusion" as a key. I personally know at least one other person who is having the exact same concerns with Disney and the exact same accommodations as my father at Universal. Can you see the headlines? "Orlando locals sue Disney after the parks refuse to continue providing needed accommodations. Both plaintiffs state that Universal is still meeting their needs."

If you don't live here, you might not be aware of exactly how huge the direct competition is between the two. That's a headline Disney REALLY doesn't want to see.

So why would rider swap not work with say, the biggest needs level of ASD? I’m seeing people explain the behavior of the children, but not why rider swap wouldn’t work so I’m confused. Again I apologize if I missed it, I did read the last post.
My child is not autistic, but has a developmental disability. As a party of 3, her separating from the other parent for an extended period would cause additional issues. It's difficult to explain without giving others a roadmap to abuse, but she requires access to both of us for a variety of reasons. Even at home we don't typically do outings that are akin to theme park outings without both of us going.

At a minimum, it would likely be a PR nightmare that Disney doesn't want.

Disney basically threw down the gauntlet with their press release. It’s the front page story on every news site, and it isn’t spinning it in a good light. I think Disney doesn’t care and wants the money, bad press be damned. This is their Ford Pinto moment.

At a minimum, it would likely be a PR nightmare that Disney doesn't want. They literally just added "inclusion" as a key. I personally know at least one other person who is having the exact same concerns with Disney and the exact same accommodations as my father at Universal. Can you see the headlines? "Orlando locals sue Disney after the parks refuse to continue providing needed accommodations. Both plaintiffs state that Universal is still meeting their needs."

If you don't live here, you might not be aware of exactly how huge the direct competition is between the two. That's a headline Disney REALLY doesn't want to see.
They weathered the same thing when they discontinued the GAC and then blew the plaintiffs out of the water in the lawsuit, which was also based on Disney taking away what the plaintiffs claimed were needed accommodations.

what would prevent you from using that?
Me? Nothing. I don't use DAS. My father? Everything. Reread my many comments in this thread and others, where I've explained his exact conditions. Being confined in a line is agonizing, and if he has to do it for more than about 20 minutes, he's done not only for the day but for the next day as well. If he leaves the line, it's to go home and collapse.

but she requires access to both of us for a variety of reasons.

What happens when you have to work? Or a thousand other scenarios that happen weekly? I’m guessing it’s a nightmare situation, but you do it because there isn’t any other choice? I’m not questioning your matter, I know it seems that way. I’m pointing out how a lot of people in this thread are acting towards those with physical disabilities, even the moderator. I don’t have a disability, but I imagine if I did someone telling me mine wasn’t as bad as x y or z would add additional pain, yet that’s what is going on, spurred on by Disney.

They weathered the same thing when they discontinued the GAC and then blew the plaintiffs out of the water in the lawsuit, which was also based on Disney taking away what the plaintiffs claimed were needed accommodations.
That suit was entirely different. First, it was based on autism, not physical disabilities. Second, they did away with GAC for everyone, not just people with the plaintiffs' specific condition. Third, Universal wasn't placed front and center in both the lawsuit and the media coverage. Fourth, the plaintiffs DID accomplish something in the long run, because Disney is now centering autism as the one group that will continue to get DAS.

Each and every disability has their unique own challenges for sure. As a whole, young ASD kids are distinctly behaviorally challenged on a good day. Throw in Disney environment - it's put on blast. Even neurotypical kids have difficulties -- but they adjust. Give them a moment or two (or three..four...five) they will come around and all is good in the world. That's not how ASD kids are wired unfortunately.

Disney realizes they are uniquely a family first theme park; moreso than other theme parks. They are trying to make reasonable accommodations. Is a larger segment ASD? probably so.

Should ASD families cut down/dismiss other persons with challenges of their own? No.

Pre-DAS with CAG, that was accomplished in many ways but was unfortunately abused to an extreme. Disney tried one-size fits all with DAS. They no longer believe it does and making changes.

My hope is the accommodations rolled out will be reasonable fit for each own's disability as well. My hope is that people here will engage WITH Disney to make the change processes reasonable accommodations.
Well said!

And agree 👍
I can only speak for myself.

This is how I do any ride with DAS:

Request a return time.
When my return window open I hang around the nearest bathroom to the ride.
I wait until I go (since I'm going every 45-60 min thats not a problem).
After my bathroom brake I have a good chance that I can do the ride safely. So I hope in the LL. And hope for the best.

Walking around or sitting around the park is much more easier to get to a bathroom on time.

If you were in a line which is narrow and maze like especially in a wheelchair you can easily imagine how difficult and how long would it take to get out of that line and get to the bathroom on time.

Before my disease (and based on my family) when I felt I need a bathroom I was able to hold it back at least for 20 min sometimes even hours. And with a healthy people number 2 is usually well formed, solid.

Someone with IDB number 2 is usually liquid can come with a tons of blood. Extremely difficult to hold it back.
Imagine when someone has an accident like that in the line! It would be very disturbing and humiliating! If someone never had an accident as an adult can't even imagine it.

The get back to line might be option for a healthy person but for someone who is emptying their bowel at least hourly not so much.
Unless the line is 30 min. In that case it might work. But if the line is hours long that can mean several out and back to the line "travel".

During a week long holiday it is very possible that a healthy person need to leave the line once...
An IDB person probably would have to leave every line which is longer than 45 min. Even multiple times if it's a longer line.

That is just 1 person (me ) experience.
As I said everyone has different needs.

Also anxiety triggers our symptoms and believe me getting in a long line or just to get from point A to B in any kind of life situation is a struggle. Ie I can't use public transport at all! I can only travel by our car (I have a portable toilet in the back).

I hope this answer your question why "get back in line" option is not suitable for every bathroom needs.

Lets see...how about having a Crohns immediate need for a bathroom while on an ECV because you also have COPD? Do you have an "accident" or take the chance of injuring people trying to escape the line? Do you choose the accident and stink up the line so no one can enjoy it? Do you sit in it so that your skin gets burned? Those are the choices for someone with both. Can't leave the scooter because my oxygen is on it and I can't walk too far either.
Think that it a reason why? I've never walked in your shoes, don't assume you know how mine fit.

Fourth, the plaintiffs DID accomplish something in the long run, because Disney is now centering autism as the one group that will continue to get DAS

Or maybe it’s a chess move. Limiting it to DD’s will 100% cause a lawsuit, because anyone can sue, and Disney knows it’s coming. Maybe limiting it to DD’s is the tin can waiting to get knocked over and in court Disney will prove if they are forced to provide it to x y or z it will impact park operations, and therefore because they can’t provide DAS equally under the law they can get rid of DAS completely and just have other accommodations.

NOt just adult onset conditions, but conditions where the disability wasn't diagnosed until later in life, but has existed all along. For ex, autism is historically underdiagnosed in girls. It's not uncommon for them not to get diagnosed until later in life, even though the autism existed all along.
Initially ocurrs =/= Initially diagnosed.
I think everyone can agree that autism for example ocurrs in the womb regardless of when it's diagnosed.

Well said!

And agree 👍

I can only speak for myself.

This is how I do any ride with DAS:

Request a return time.
When my return window open I hang around the nearest bathroom to the ride.
I wait until I go (since I'm going every 45-60 min thats not a problem).
After my bathroom brake I have a good chance that I can do the ride safely. So I hope in the LL. And hope for the best.

Walking around or sitting around the park is much more easier to get to a bathroom on time.

If you were in a line which is narrow and maze like especially in a wheelchair you can easily imagine how difficult and how long would it take to get out of that line and get to the bathroom on time.

Before my disease (and based on my family) when I felt I need a bathroom I was able to hold it back at least for 20 min sometimes even hours. And with a healthy people number 2 is usually well formed, solid.

Someone with IDB number 2 is usually liquid can come with a tons of blood. Extremely difficult to hold it back.
Imagine when someone has an accident like that in the line! It would be very disturbing and humiliating! If someone never had an accident as an adult can't even imagine it.

The get back to line might be option for a healthy person but for someone who is emptying their bowel at least hourly not so much.
Unless the line is 30 min. In that case it might work. But if the line is hours long that can mean several out and back to the line "travel".

During a week long holiday it is very possible that a healthy person need to leave the line once...
An IDB person probably would have to leave every line which is longer than 45 min. Even multiple times if it's a longer line.

That is just 1 person (me ) experience.
As I said everyone has different needs.

Also anxiety triggers our symptoms and believe me getting in a long line or just to get from point A to B in any kind of life situation is a struggle. Ie I can't use public transport at all! I can only travel by our car (I have a portable toilet in the back).

I hope this answer your question why "get back in line" option is not suitable for every bathroom needs.
Finally someone who understands! Add to that a husband who has a battery/controller running the left side of his heart, and a son who can't get any remission on his Crohns, has a past perforation a prolapse. We're a nightmare!

What happens when you have to work? Or a thousand other scenarios that happen weekly? I’m guessing it’s a nightmare situation, but you do it because there isn’t any other choice? I’m not questioning your matter, I know it seems that way. I’m pointing out how a lot of people in this thread are acting towards those with physical disabilities, even the moderator. I don’t have a disability, but I imagine if I did someone telling me mine wasn’t as bad as x y or z would add additional pain, yet that’s what is going on, spurred on by Disney.
I was typing out a response to a different comment and then got sidetracked.

In specifics to mobility situations and IMO I think the accommodations Disney has been doing with the queues and now with the widening of what is able to be allowed (the cane chair) it allows for more individuals' situations to be accommodated that way. Note the person may not prefer that way. Note it doesn't mean that every situation can be addressed that way but it can mean there is a different accommodation being guided towards one disability over another.

Disney basically threw down the gauntlet with their press release. It’s the front page story on every news site, and it isn’t spinning it in a good light. I think Disney doesn’t care and wants the money, bad press be damned. This is their Ford Pinto moment.
-Disney is constantly in crosshairs of everything. This is no different.
-Arguably the switch from GAC to DAS was much more contentious.

As others explained above and with other posters, kids with ASD really don't respond well when splitting up the party, and it's not just a few moments of adjusting to it either.

Basically? I don't work, because I can't. DD's schedule of therapies doesn't allow it, at least currently. Everything I made would be paying for a caregiver to take her to what I do. We don't have family in the area. We don't have respite. Medicaid waivers are a cluster in our state. The reasons she needs both of us at WDW are unique to the theme park environment, and the only other place it's an issue for us constantly is medical appointments, esp. things like xrays. Those require both of us.

AS to the bolded - I agree, it's unfortunate that this thread has devolved into this and that Disney basically set this up. It's very poor management and marketing on Disney's part. You'd think they'd have learned after the GAC to DAS change, but clearly not.

That suit was entirely different. First, it was based on autism, not physical disabilities. Second, they did away with GAC for everyone, not just people with the plaintiffs' specific condition. Third, Universal wasn't placed front and center in both the lawsuit and the media coverage. Fourth, the plaintiffs DID accomplish something in the long run, because Disney is now centering autism as the one group that will continue to get DAS.
The disability involved was irrelevant - guests with a disability sued because an accommodation they said they needed was taken away, which is the same basis someone with a physical disability would claim if they chose to sue over DAS being taken away from them.

And of all of the news coverage I’ve seen of this, all I’ve seen regarding Universal is that they require documentation.

Or maybe it’s a chess move. Limiting it to DD’s will 100% cause a lawsuit, because anyone can sue, and Disney knows it’s coming. Maybe limiting it to DD’s is the tin can waiting to get knocked over and in court Disney will prove if they are forced to provide it to x y or z it will impact park operations, and therefore because they can’t provide DAS equally under the law they can get rid of DAS completely and just have other accommodations.
OK cool. Then all the people who genuinely NEED DAS switch over to Universal. Disney gets a massive black eye, and hopefully they finally wake up to the fact that giving lip service to disabilities (the inclusion key) isn't enough to pull them out of the spiral. Meanwhile, at least they're screwing everyone over equally rather than giving preferential treatment to one group.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter