• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I came across this in one of my DAS groups on Facebook today - seems someone got an actual callback. May help ease a few minds:

View attachment 851449
People are just in mass hysteria. In that example 5 isn’t an issue. They have 2 DAS parties so their max is 8 total. 🙄

Then all the people who genuinely NEED DAS switch over to Universal.
only problem is universal is, overall, a much less accessible park. If it ever came to a point where we decided we couldn't do Disney because DD's needs weren't being met, we would just be done with going to Florida. I posted here about our experience in Universal Hollywood yesterday. there's a lot less for DD to do there that's safe for her (she's a tween, so it's not an age thing).

I hope that day never comes, but if it does it won't be us going to universal.

This is gonna sound super harsh and I don't want to offend anyone but I can't find any other way to say it.

I cannot judge why each person on this thread feels like DAS is the only accommodation that could possibly work for them. That's for Disney to decide. But do you honestly think that if that is indeed the truth, then Disney wouldn't have planned to allow for exceptions in the developmental disability rule????

Exceptions are made and expected exactly because no two ppl will have the same needs.

What this new set of rules is trying to do is to give a non-DAS accommodation to the mayority of the guests that they can. Exactly the same as when they decided that most mobility issues could be solved by a tool of some kind (ECVs, canes, rollators, etc). And yet, some mobility issues still got DAS as shown in this thread by many posters accounts.

That doesn't mean that they will outright deny DAS to everyone that has a physical need, sometimes DAS will be the only thing that can help. But those guests will be the exception, not the mayority.

Finally someone who understands! Add to that a husband who has a battery/controller running the left side of his heart, and a son who can't get any remission on his Crohns, has a past perforation a prolapse. We're a nightmare!
I read your other thread you had about Spaceship Earth and want to point out that my regional park would explicitly advise you they just can't accommodate you with your traveling party.

My regional park states "Guests using wheelchairs will have to transfer from their wheelchair to the ride unit by themselves or assisted by a member of their party in order to be able to ride. You should plan your visit with someone who can physically help you when necessary". I already stated previously that my regional park advises most attractions can't accommodate wheelchairs or ecvs. My regional park also says "personnel are not trained in transferring Guests from wheelchairs to ride units and are not permitted to do so. You should plan your visit with someone who can physically help you when necessary"

While I am quoting from my local amusement park I think this train of thought about physical assistance is fairly generic in nature.

From your Space Mountain Spaceship Earth thread all of the members of your traveling party need assistance of some kind and are physically unable to assist you. That would make any theme park a challenging place to visit and for the theme park to provide an accommodation from a practical and legal liability standpoint.

Last edited:
And this is another issue that is addressed with DAS but not G+. A lot of people who use DAS because of medical conditions can't ride the thrill rides, or at least not a lot of them in day. For example, my dad's doctor has given him clearance to ride anything, and he loves coasters. But his pain levels won't let him do more than one, mayyyybe two, in a day. With DAS, if he's having a reasonably good day and feels like staying in the park more than a few hours, he can reride the things that don't make him hurt. But with G+, he couldn't. And standby lines are impossible for the reasons I've already detailed, so that leaves him out of luck if he can't get DAS anymore.
I keep reading your posts and the more I read, the more I can identify with your Dad. I had to have surgery in 2016 though, had no choice. When one of my disc's went down, it collapsed on my spinal cord, spinal cord got twisted too. I have Arthritis throughout my entire back, degenerative disc disease and spinal stenosis from Cervical to Lumbar. I have nerve damage from the surgery in my right root, Arthritis in my right hand and wrist.
A wheelchair will not help,in fact, it will cause more pain especially since most of Disney pavement is not a smooth ride, besides the matter of not being able to sit very long. Standing forget it! Within minutes I hurt. I can walk slow paced maybe 25 to 35 minutes then sit for a few minutes, but I get out of breath easy. Dr told me not to do coasters. I will still do one or 2 a trip. I had to give up Space Mt. Last time I went, it was to hard to get out. I needed help. In addition to my back, I have the issue with my eyes where they don't adjust from light to dark and I can't do steps.
I gave my Disney AP up last year. I considered getting another but the parks aren't doable for me without DAS.
I'm sure they aren't for your Dad either. Good luck

Last edited:
Disney's language on their DAS page has changed again. Formerly, it cited "developmental delay" and then referring to autism. The updated language now says "developmental disabilities" which, by default and in many cases law, include a number of disabilities.
While I agree there have been changes to the WDW website (and DLR website), the quote on the first post of this thread states "developmental disability due to autism or similar" and so do many posts back to Tuesday. You may well have seen "developmental delay" somewhere, but I don't think it has been changed on the WDW page.

I keep reading your posts and the more I read, the more I can identify with your Dad. I had to have surgery in 2016 though, had no choice. When one of my disc's went down, it collapsed on my spinal cord, spinal cord got twisted too. I have Arthritis throughout my entire back, degenerative disc disease and spinal stenosis from Cervical to Lumbar. I have nerve damage from the surgery in my right root, Arthritis in my right hand and wrist.
A wheelchair will not help,in fact, it will cause more pain especially since most of Disney pavement is not a smooth ride, besides the matter of not being able to sit very long. Standing forget it! Within minutes I hurt. I can walk slow paced maybe 25 to 35 minutes then sit for a few minutes, but I get out of breath easy. Dr told me not to do coasters. I will still do one or 2 a trip. I had to give up Space Mt. Last time I went, it was to hard to get out. I needed help. I gave my Disney AP up last year. I considered getting another but the parks aren't doable for me without DAS. I'm sure they aren't for your Dad either. Good luck
Regarding your comment that the parks aren’t doable for you without DAS, I do think that Disney needs to offer full refunds (tickets, resorts) to those guests who used to have DAS and won’t have it going forward. Prorated for annual passes and full for other tickets.

I've never tried so my info is anecdotal from reading others' reports -- but my understanding is that it can be very hard for a US resident to obtain proper documentation to use to prove disability in Japan. That may depend on the disability and the accommodation requested. But there have definitely been US residents who were not able to obtain the documentation required in the timeframe required.
We had no problem in Japan or any other non-USA park. I had on hand (and always keep with me now after being surprised at Hong Kong): letters of conservatorship, latest school triennial assessment report, and regional center (CA's agency for DD) IPP. As DS is now out of school and doesn't have an updated triennial, I would just show his latest IPP from RC. DS doesn't blend (i.e it's fairly obvious) so in most cases I felt as if it was a cursory look.

As I mentioned above, Regional Center in CA (other states have similar) is an easy way to prove a certain level of DD from which to start the conversation. If someone is with RC (or similar), you can assume a certain level of developmental disability. In CA DD is defined more narrowly than federal. I do think that is what Disney is getting at without explicitly saying it. Here is a summary of the section: https://rula.disabilityrightsca.org...-services/what-is-a-developmental-disability/

I can explain why that I don't think a blanket rule like that wouldn't work for my family.

We are two parents and a child who has used DAS. Child is 11, so as I understand it, Disney feels that is old enough to wait in a queue alone and ride alone. In your example, Rider Swap would be our accommodation.

For a normal ride, one parent waits with child while other parent waits in line. After ride, first parent and child ride. Got it, that's fair, if not a great family vacation.

However, specifically for my family, one parent will not ride any "thrill" rides, defined fairly loosely. Anything with a real drop is out, from Barnstormer and Slinky and up. Trackless or simulators like Rise and FOP are OK.

So for these rides where we have 1 parent who will ride, 1 who will not and child with accommodation, we have a few options -

• Riding parent waits standby, child uses rider swap. This doesn't seem like much of a solution - just because Disney feels 7 years old is old enough, we don't feel that our child with a disability should be waiting on a line alone.
  • Non-riding parent waits standby but uses the chicken exit, then riding parent and child ride. This is just silly.
  • We skip this ride.
This may very well be the accommodation offered, and if so, I would at least explain the above. Perhaps Disney IT is working on a more limited or targeted system. If not and this was the only accommodation, we would likely skip (or drop rope) as much of these rides as possible, only if rope drop is possible on those days based on child.
The person that uses rider swap, the child in this case, is allowed to be accompanied by 1 other guest. Just FYI.

only problem is universal is, overall, a much less accessible park. If it ever came to a point where we decided we couldn't do Disney because DD's needs weren't being met, we would just be done with going to Florida. I posted here about our experience in Universal Hollywood yesterday. there's a lot less for DD to do there that's safe for her (she's a tween, so it's not an age thing).

I hope that day never comes, but if it does it won't be us going to universal.
That's fair. I know each disability is different. I'm sorry your DD didn't have the hoped for experience at Universal Hollywood.

A wheelchair will not help,in fact, it will cause more pain especially since most of Disney pavement is not a smooth ride, besides the matter of not being able to sit very long. Standing forget it! Within minutes I hurt. I can walk slow paced maybe 25 to 35 minutes then sit for a few minutes, but I get out of breath easy. Dr told me not to do coasters. I will still do one or 2 a trip. I had to give up Space Mt. Last time I went, it was to hard to get out. I needed help. I gave my Disney AP up last year. I considered getting another but the parks aren't doable for me without DAS. In addition to my back, I have issues with my eyes. They don't adjust from light to dark and I can't do steps
I'm sure they aren't for your Dad either. Good luck
I'm so sorry to hear this. I wouldn't wish these kinds of health challenges on my worst enemy. Dad gave up his Disney AP after seeing how much more painful a day at the parks with DAS was than a day with GAC, but he still went now and then when he felt like he could handle it. A bunch of procedures and PT later, he had just been saying that he might like to try a Disney AP again, since he might be able to make DAS work a little better now. But without that, there's no point in trying. And it makes me sad, because Disney was always his happy place.
Regarding your comment that the parks aren’t doable for you without DAS, I do think that Disney needs to offer full refunds (tickets, resorts) to those guests who used to have DAS and won’t have it going forward. Prorated for annual passes and full for other tickets.
How very magnanimous of you. Whatever it takes to get people out of your way at the parks, right?

And this is another issue that is addressed with DAS but not G+.
Actually, other than 1 poster in particular the other day, I haven't really seen folks on this board saying "buy Genie+". There's been a lot of speculation as to Disney's motives, but that is speculation. I'd like discussion of "buy Genie+ as accommodation" suggestion to stop because that is NOT what has been communicated. It's rumor and likely unfounded at that.

the park down the streets provides him with not their equivalent of a DAS, but actually a higher level of accommodations equivalent to the old GAC.
Disney does not need to offer the same accommodation as Universal, as long as the accommodation offered is considered reasonable for both the need and the business operations.

If Universal can request documentation from a doctor, why can't Disney?
That has been discussed in several posts already. Short answer -- Disney has decided not to go that route. There are already lawsuits against that process, Disney wouldn't be very smart to jump into a situation that has not been fully litigated yet.

That's fair. I know each disability is different. I'm sorry your DD didn't have the hoped for experience at Universal Hollywood.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I wouldn't wish these kinds of health challenges on my worst enemy. Dad gave up his Disney AP after seeing how much more painful a day at the parks with DAS was than a day with GAC, but he still went now and then when he felt like he could handle it. A bunch of procedures and PT later, he had just been saying that he might like to try a Disney AP again, since he might be able to make DAS work a little better now. But without that, there's no point in trying. And it makes me sad, because Disney was always his happy place.

How very magnanimous of you. Whatever it takes to get people out of your way at the parks, right?
You’re free to take it that way if you so choose. Not how I meant it, but by all means, you do you.

Don't get me wrong for the most part we enjoyed what we did (Mario kart being the biggest exception). WWoHP was fun and she could do both of those rides (and loved them). There were just large portions we couldn't do. It's not worth the money to pay for the full day at a theme park when you can't experience many of the attractions.

That'd be great.
And I also I think Disney should offer the option to international guest too to found out their DAS status 30 days in advance.

FROM NOW ON with the new changes at whatnot...

I'd be still going for a mostly ride less holiday but numerous person stated they wouldn't.

I know. I know preregistration before officially never been offered just for customers in North America.... as I've been told repeatedly.
(Actually I could only find the part when they stated that preregistration is offered only in English. But I might be wrong)

I actually took it completely different than you. How many people in this thread expressed worry over purchasing of park tickets or making park reservations and then finding out they were unable to use DAS the way they had hoped? Maybe you've hopped into this thread a tad late IDK.

So I took their comment as something Disney could do as a goodwill gesture due to already purchased ticket media with a change that may significantly alter someone's choice to go. It was just that poster's suggestion of something could do and I did not in any way take it to be some sort of snark intended to shoo people away 🤷‍♀️

I actually took it completely different than you. How many people in this thread expressed worry over purchasing of park tickets or making park reservations and then finding out they were unable to use DAS the way they had hoped? Maybe you've hopped into this thread a tad late IDK.

So I took their comment as something Disney could do as a goodwill gesture due to already purchased ticket media with a change that may significantly alter someone's choice to go. It was just that poster's suggestion of something could do and I did not in any way take it to be some sort of snark intended to shoo people away 🤷‍♀️
That’s exactly how it was meant, thank you.

This might not answer your question but during one of our trips, my step mom was having back issues and star tours and Rise had warnings not to ride. She decided to sit out. My dad was going to sit out with her so she didn’t have to wait alone and we asked a CM if we can do RS so he can wait with her, and then go on the ride and experience star tours with my son, and they said no because she met the heigh requirements of the ride but was choosing not to ride. She told my dad to go on and she just walked around because she wanted my dad to ride with my son.

Maybe the CM was wrong because of the posted warning and her having back problems (she wasn’t a DAS holder), or maybe the CM was correct and RS truly wasn’t appropriate in that situation.
New rules at Disneyland as of last week. IMG_9072.png

It's not worth the money to pay for the full day at a theme park when you can't experience many of the attractions.
That is a personal opinion and I fully know that's how you feel and weren't meaning it to apply to everyone so this is just a jumping off comment to your post :flower3: We've done at Six Flags over New England, Six Flags St. Louis, Silver Dollar City, Universal, etc. We pay the admission fee and I ride but only a few attractions.

Now we didn't personally find Six Flags over New England to be worth it but had nothing to do with me and not going on many attractions.

But I do agree with you and I think it applies to a decent portion of the other theme and amusement parks out there they are typically not nearly as accessible at WDW is.

They have added a lot more reasons at Disneyland.
One thing Disney will have to do is keep meticulous records on who called to request DAS and what they were offered instead of not granted the DAS.

People being people, I can see someone being denied a DAS and offered Rider a switch instead. They get to the park, don’t want to be separated from their party, wait in standby instead, pass out and fall, then sue Disney because “they took my DAS away!!l

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter