• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

We really don't know at this point. It's possible there will be a 2nd type of "disability rider swap" or it may be that Disney loosens the current rules which opens rider swap to any party.
I genuinely cannot see why a developmental disability that precludes waiting in a standby queue would not be accommodated by that person and a caretaker waiting outside the queue environment and riding later via rider swap. If Disney goes this route, why would that person still require DAS? (Again assuming party size over 2 and with at least 2 competent caretakers).
I also will not expand due to scammers reading. But when my kids with DD were too short, we were not able to make use of rider switch due to their disabilities.

That is a personal opinion and I fully know that's how you feel and weren't meaning it to apply to everyone so this is just a jumping off comment to your post :flower3: We've done at Six Flags over New England, Six Flags St. Louis, Silver Dollar City, Universal, etc. We pay the admission fee and I ride but only a few attractions.

Now we didn't personally find Six Flags over New England to be worth it but had nothing to do with me and not going on many attractions.

But I do agree with you and I think it applies to a decent portion of the other theme and amusement parks out there they are typically not nearly as accessible at WDW is.
We would certainly still go to more local theme parks still and they're less accessible, but the added cost of airfare (and the challenges of flying) and hotel to go to FL would have us rethinking destinations.

We would certainly still go to more local theme parks still and they're less accessible, but the added cost of airfare (and the challenges of flying) and hotel to go to FL would have us rethinking destinations.
Airfare and lodging is a very important part of the consideration plus time off. And even if you switched to driving (if that were possible with your traveling party) that has its own costs and difficulties. Personally from where I live it's about an 18 hour drive (so 2 days) just to get to Orlando driving time never mind stopping and a hotel stay mid-way through.

Completely understand you there! I'd be making the same decisions with my husband at the pros and cons of picking a destination that doesn't offer enough to offset the other stuff

Don't get me wrong for the most part we enjoyed what we did (Mario kart being the biggest exception). WWoHP was fun and she could do both of those rides (and loved them). There were just large portions we couldn't do. It's not worth the money to pay for the full day at a theme park when you can't experience many of the attractions.
Universal Hollywood also did not work for me. I experienced 3 attractions, had major overwhelm, and had to exit the park by noon. I had paid for a 2-day ticket but realized I couldn't go back or experience much there without much higher accommodations than the traditional AAP offered. So although paying for 2 days, I was only able to use/stay for 2 hours total.

I have an annual pass this year to Universal Orlando, and the AAP accommodation works well for me there. The parks are designed and laid out much differently and there is much more variety in activities and things to do. If your daughter enjoyed Hogsmeade in USH, she would really enjoy Diagon Alley as it is so much bigger, immersive, and packed full of things to explore (although I can't speak to the other things around the park as I don't know her interests). On paper, USH seems so similar to the Orlando parks, but the reality is they are very different, and USO is much much more easier to navigate and experience than USH.

Airfare and lodging is a very important part of the consideration plus time off. And even if you switched to driving (if that were possible with your traveling party) that has its own costs and difficulties. Personally from where I live it's about an 18 hour drive (so 2 days) just to get to Orlando driving time never mind stopping an a hotel stay mid-way through.

Completely understand you there! I'd be making the same decisions with my husband at the pros and cons of picking a destination that doesn't offer enough to offset the other stuff
The longest trip we've attempted is 7.5 hrs total (according to gps). With necessary stops it's closer to a 9-ish hour drive. We could only really do 4-4.5 hrs in a day for this trip. It's more than we could do when DD was younger, but not enough to make driving for longer distances really viable.

I hope the new FAA rules that will eventually be in place for airplane lavatories (making T least one large enough for person+attendsnt) will make our trips much easier. We've done cross country flights, but they're a challenge with current facilities.

I genuinely cannot see why a developmental disability that precludes waiting in a standby queue would not be accommodated by that person and a caretaker waiting outside the queue environment and riding later via rider swap. If Disney goes this route, why would that person still require DAS? (Again assuming party size over 2 and with at least 2 competent caretakers).

I obviously don't want to go into too many details because I don't want to give fakers any ideas by stealing my son's actual need for DAS.

But rider swap, at this point in his life, wouldn't work for us. We know this because of the times my husband and I have taken turns riding things our son doesn't like. From trial an error, we now know we can't separate for the amount of time it takes for longer waits. I wish I knew WHY this was so hard for our son but he can't explain it to us, unfortunately. We do have hope that things will someday get easier for all of us.

I understand. I really don't want to be rude but other posters doing this to different kind of disabilities all over the forum... questioning everything...

So that little kids in their every day lives spending all of their time with ALL their family together?
I guess in a park environment is not their usual, cosy, safe place but something different and more challenging. I can get that. But that is true for other disabilities and health problems too. Others must have to come over unusual, challenging circumstances too.

My point is ONLY that is not fair to single out 1 particular disability!

It's hard to explain unless you actually live it. There are certain things that have to be 'just so' but it doesn't mean every single place is the same. For example, my husband can take my son to the grocery store without me and it's no problem. But if we all go to the store together, we can't separate in the store without it literally destroying our entire day.

Either one of us leaving the house is a big problem. If I have to be away from home for more than a short amount of time...my son will literally meltdown/scream until I get home. It's hard for him and for my husband or my parents (who are the only other 2 people capable of watching him.)

Sometimes we obviously have to separate or I need to be gone so there's no way around it. And sometimes we just trial different things to see how it goes or try to increase the time we can be apart. It's all a work in progress. But this is how it is now. It's very difficult.

This life isn't for the faint of heart, so to speak. And DAS can help us have a nice family vacation, which isn't always the case for other types of vacations (for example, we purchased a camper a few years ago and tried to make that work for 3 years but finally had to give up because it was just too hard for our son.) We're grateful for DAS and hopefully we will still qualify.

I see what you mean but I guess I don't really see the harm in a single person of a group potentially double riding. Most attractions sit two ppl side by side and lots others are a family per vehicle.

Maybe a time block would help, if someone with a RS can't ride anything else till they use it or something similar to the 10 min timeout DAS will implement. Someone holding a RS cannot tap into a line until at least 20 min have passed since getting it. 🤔
Rider swap usually gives a digital fast pass for the time of the standby queue plus a little bit to account for the family getting out.
I think this is not the answer for the question.
The question was: would they need DAS if basically the disabled party (provided it's not only 1 person who is not possible to do rider switch) is waiting outside of line until the other part of the family/group is in regular line.
....and doing a rider switch.

In this case the disabled party would wait wherever is convenient for them. And the non disabled family/group members would be in the normal stand by line.
So basically a rider switch!

Which might/probably/possible would be offered for other disabilities.

No one questioning the needs for getting the necessary accommodation. The question was WHY ARE THEY DIFFERENT from ANYONE ELSE.

At least this is how I understand the original question.
The person did answer the question. But for you to understand, we’d have to provide the medical reasons why, which would provide that info for scammers. My kids with DD can’t wait that long.

Disney's language on their DAS page has changed again. Formerly, it cited "developmental delay" and then referring to autism. The updated language now says "developmental disabilities" which, by default and in many cases law, include a number of disabilities.

The federal government defines developmental disability as a severe, chronic disability that initially occurs before the age of 22 and is likely to continue indefinitely. A developmental disability includes a mental or physical impairment, or a combination of both, and results in substantial limitations in three or more of the following major life areas:
  • Self-care
  • Expressive or receptive language
  • Learning
  • Mobility
  • Capacity for independent living
  • Economic self-sufficiency
  • Self-direction
If Disney follows the federal definition, more people than initially expected may remain still eligible for DAS, although adiult-onset conditions would still need to be addressed.
Actually, this definition would leave a lot of people out. I have not been able to prove via test results that my kids qualify for 3 of these areas by a deviation of 2. So they don’t qualify for DD services from the government, which include respite care, something we desperately need.

My kids still have a diagnosis that is a developmental disability.

One thing Disney will have to do is keep meticulous records on who called to request DAS and what they were offered instead of not granted the DAS.

People being people, I can see someone being denied a DAS and offered Rider a switch instead. They get to the park, don’t want to be separated from their party, wait in standby instead, pass out and fall, then sue Disney because “they took my DAS away!!l
Suggest those calling Disney for DAS also keep meticulous records. Keep them on your phone and on your computer.

Last edited:
When I'd wait, if I could find a short line, under 30 minutes, I go on that attraction. Sometimes I will sit for a few minutes, then browse in a shop. Sometimes I grab a snack. I most always end up using the restroom
It’s usually 2-3 rides in the am (lunch takes 1.5 hr QS+ with allergies and melt downs, leave before it’s too hot or crowded; 4-5 hour break) and photos then 2 rides in the evening and 2 hours for TS dinner.

For our family FP+ as DAS+ would work better and we would purchase the ILL$. Standby lower wait times on favorites (yes we ride the carrousel 3 times in a row). Genie+ has you running around the park or glued to your phone trying to modify (can’t with kids taking up so much attention time and draining the phone).
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I came across this in one of my DAS groups on Facebook today - seems someone got an actual callback. May help ease a few minds:

View attachment 851449
I chatted with a CM the next day and they reassured us that our immediate family of 5 is ok.

Don't get me wrong for the most part we enjoyed what we did (Mario kart being the biggest exception). WWoHP was fun and she could do both of those rides (and loved them). There were just large portions we couldn't do. It's not worth the money to pay for the full day at a theme park when you can't experience many of the attractions.
Which I completely understand. And it's why my dad won't pay for Disney admission if they will no longer accommodate him.

We had no problem in Japan or any other non-USA park.
I'm glad you had no problem in Japan, though you imply you had an issue at Hong Kong. However I stand by my statement that it can be hard for a US resident to obtain the documentation required. Of all the items you list, I will have none once she completes high school in June. You are assuming any individual qualifies for government services -- and that may be how Japan defines disability for DAS as well.

One of the largest needs in discussion here on this thread is unlikely to be able to provide any of that documentation to get a DAS in Japan. It looks like Japan accommodates similar to the new change proposed at US parks -- a form of "rejoin your party at the boarding area."

I am sure it is legal. I just wish they were honest people. Disney used to employ people of integrity, but this just sounds like every other company that takes away benefits and tells us how it is an "improvement".

The stated reason is that DAS pass usage has increased. We are left to imagine whether this is due to more disabled people coming to the parks because they feel welcomed or the negative reasons that people are cheating or that Disney is not selling enough Genie+.

The DAS system is essentially the old fast pass system that EVERY customer got 5 years ago. Hold one return time based on the current queue and return later (don't think I was denied a late entry in 10 years, and then I just waited until the CM changed and the next one let me in.) So it is clearly not a capacity management issue. Even if the increase is 100% fraud it is still less than every customer.

This does nothing to stop fraud. You still have to do an interview. How many of us have heard a parent tell their kid to "act autistic" whatever that means? If you know the key words you can still lie. Now there will be supposed consequences if you do. Sure, the Disney gestapo are going to be following DAS pass holders to make sure they didn't lie.

This cuts the capacity by eliminating everyone who does not have a "developmental" issue however that is defined. It redefines fraud as having a medical issue that is not developmental. Yesterday my DW qualified due to her chronic health issues that impact her waiting in line in the heat. It is much safer for her to go shop or eat in air conditioning than wait in a queue and hope for the best (time is right, no breakdowns, etc). She can't do E ticket rides, so our DAS does not impact many of the Genie+ rides and there are many rides that don't even have a Genie+ option.

They could have done many things: limit DAS per day, double the wait time, offered alternative accommodations and said current DAS holders can discuss their future with a cast member, required medical documentation, etc. Instead they just said you are out, you may crawl back but we'll let you know AFTER your paid in full date. At best that is terrible customer service, at worst it is a deliberate slap in the face to loyal customers.

Which brings us back to money. If it is not about capacity and not about honesty/conveniece/alternatives then it is about selling more Genie+. I guess it is illegal for them to sell DAS passes, so just eliminate them and see how the revenue reacts. Either way I feel less welcome and now have to decide if Disney will eventually do the right thing or just cancel my trip and be done with it.

I think checkpoints is the answer. You get back in line wherever you left. It doesn't continue the clock for your wait while you take a break or use the restroom, it pauses it. So when you get back in line you would end up waiting the same amount of time "in line." Otherwise everyone would take advantage of it and basically get what is basically the current DAS for free.

I would think that either the entire party that wants to ride together would leave the line with a pass and then return when they are ready, or they will wait for their last member to go through the last part of the line close to the ride loading zone like a child swap are or something
Brilliant. Like the mile markers in the highway

I am sure it is legal. I just wish they were honest people. Disney used to employ people of integrity, but this just sounds like every other company that takes away benefits and tells us how it is an "improvement".

The stated reason is that DAS pass usage has increased. We are left to imagine whether this is due to more disabled people coming to the parks because they feel welcomed or the negative reasons that people are cheating or that Disney is not selling enough Genie+.

The DAS system is essentially the old fast pass system that EVERY customer got 5 years ago. Hold one return time based on the current queue and return later (don't think I was denied a late entry in 10 years, and then I just waited until the CM changed and the next one let me in.) So it is clearly not a capacity management issue. Even if the increase is 100% fraud it is still less than every customer.

This does nothing to stop fraud. You still have to do an interview. How many of us have heard a parent tell their kid to "act autistic" whatever that means? If you know the key words you can still lie. Now there will be supposed consequences if you do. Sure, the Disney gestapo are going to be following DAS pass holders to make sure they didn't lie.

This cuts the capacity by eliminating everyone who does not have a "developmental" issue however that is defined. It redefines fraud as having a medical issue that is not developmental. Yesterday my DW qualified due to her chronic health issues that impact her waiting in line in the heat. It is much safer for her to go shop or eat in air conditioning than wait in a queue and hope for the best (time is right, no breakdowns, etc). She can't do E ticket rides, so our DAS does not impact many of the Genie+ rides and there are many rides that don't even have a Genie+ option.

They could have done many things: limit DAS per day, double the wait time, offered alternative accommodations and said current DAS holders can discuss their future with a cast member, required medical documentation, etc. Instead they just said you are out, you may crawl back but we'll let you know AFTER your paid in full date. At best that is terrible customer service, at worst it is a deliberate slap in the face to loyal customers.

Which brings us back to money. If it is not about capacity and not about honesty/conveniece/alternatives then it is about selling more Genie+. I guess it is illegal for them to sell DAS passes, so just eliminate them and see how the revenue reacts. Either way I feel less welcome and now have to decide if Disney will eventually do the right thing or just cancel my trip and be done with it.
Limiting the number of DAS uses per day outright or doubling the wait time would
most likely violate the ADA.

I've mentioned before we have a number of out of state/passholder trips planned between now and Fall.

We just got here (son and self; the DAS holder wasn't up to traveling). He has never waited or ridden alone at Disney, despite being 18. He did accompany me to a work conference for a short stay, and will likely be either in our room or by the pool despite being within a short walk to the parks.

I have very strongly encouraged him to walk over to Epcot for a meal or snack, and it's just not something he's able to do. He has severe anxiety and ADHD (full medical diagnosis as a super young kid). That's why the rider swap isn't likely an option for our party of 3...he would have to be the one waiting alone. I figured I could try to encourage a little solo-ing this trip, but most park days he's miserable after a half day, and can really spin out if he can't find us after a bathroom break.

Not sure how that relates, but I guess we'll see when we call. It's so hurtful when people say "he can't do WHAT?...or he can't drive YET?" I wish he could and so does he.

I'm glad you had no problem in Japan, though you imply you had an issue at Hong Kong. However I stand by my statement that it can be hard for a US resident to obtain the documentation required. Of all the items you list, I will have none once she completes high school in June. You are assuming any individual qualifies for government services -- and that may be how Japan defines disability for DAS as well.

One of the largest needs in discussion here on this thread is unlikely to be able to provide any of that documentation to get a DAS in Japan. It looks like Japan accommodates similar to the new change proposed at US parks -- a form of "rejoin your party at the boarding area."
When we went to Disneyland-Paris they essentially had old GAC in place still. We wished it was DAS type as DS was quick to latch onto this and had to reset expectations once back stateside.

Love Disney -- they do need to strike a balance and threading that needle is difficult at best. I feel for the CMs and let them know our gratitude each and every time. They have a very difficult job.

I definitely understand not wanting to pay for it, I don't either :) Just a curiosity if Disney had gone that route of saying you're now required to pay for DAS, if people would have paid. I honestly think I'd rather that then where we landed with limiting DAS to only those with developmental disabilities and I suspect it would curb a lot of the abuse.

I also definitely get that paying for Genie+ doesn't work for a lot of folks while DAS has been working.

I was surprised that wheelchairs are not available for free, I thought they were but the Disney World website shows that there is a rental fee for a normal wheelchair.
Against federal government law, paying for being disabled

That plus all queues are not the same problem for all people. I have no issue with length of wait - I’ve waited hours for rides in my lifetime. There are queues in which I’m okay - Safari comes to mind - because its queue attributes aren’t a problem for me. Whereas HM is so challenging, it’s difficult for me even with DAS. So yeah - I could absolutely in theory have a DAS return time for ride A 3 hours from now and be in line for ride B, as well as eating lunch, using a restroom, having a sit somewhere, while waiting those 3 hours for ride A.
Yes! Refreshing to hear from someone who uses the accommodation in this way. If the queue is problamatic, get a DAS return time. If it isn’t, get in the standby.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter