• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I decided to call Universal today and sort it out, Disney has me frazzled lol, and what the lady in the department told me is that when you register for IBCCES you list your time for travelling (specific day helps) and within 48 hours of your visit they give you a call (have your number through the IBCCES program) and discuss it and if approved you get a case number which you still need to present to Guest Services but there is no fussing when you go in person and you get your AAP card and move on. Now I did this back in December and I have a very hectic lifestyle living with UC and I forgot I did request a day in mid-August and called it in ahead of time and got my case number, lol, so whoops. But for others reading this, that is the general process. If you like to plan way ahead, as I do, then I would advise calling way before the 30 days suggested and before you buy tickets so that you have the comfort of knowing or not if you will be given special accommodations or not and plan your trip accordingly.
Great! I'm so glad they were able to set you straight on it :) And I'm super happy to hear that they're no longer crazy backlogged.

You made a great point here that I forgot to include in my ramble lol. Once you have that case number, that's it. You will not be denied at Guest Services in-park. You don't even have to have a conversation with them. Just show the app screen with your picture, IBCCES number and case number, and they print out what you need. Easy peasy.

One thing that's REALLY nice is during busy times, like the changeover from daytime to HHN, they generally open up a whole separate location JUST for people who already have their accommodations case number. So you don't have to wait behind all the other Guest Services people, which can save a lot of time and energy.

Based on conversations with my friend in Universal Guest Services (she isn't on the disability team, but she works side by side with them):

The biggest issue they're seeing right now is people not being clear on the two-step process with IBCCES and Universal. IBCCES does approve for a wide variety of things. Because that's their only role in the process. They don't work with the theme parks directly, and they have contracts with lots of different parks that have lots of different individual rules. Their role is simply to get the documentation, assess whether it proves that the person falls into the general category of "disabled", and then pass them on to the relevant park(s) for a determination of what that means in terms of accommodations.

Then Universal (or whatever park) gets the person's answers to the questions on the IBCCES along with confirmation that the person is disabled, but not the documentation itself. The disability team works with the answers to those questions, along with the information they gather during the call (which is reasonably detailed, but still focused solely on issues with waiting in line, not diagnosis or symptoms). At that point they determine whether the person qualifies for an accommodation and, if so, which one.

The problem is that all this still isn't being communicated well to the general public. So people have no idea that they could be demonstrably disabled (approved for the IBCCES card) but not qualify for accommodations (because their needs are met with the park's existing systems). I'm not sure what they need do differently in their communications, but I agree that it's a real problem.
IBCCES is basically a marketing company that went from certifying ABA (Applied Behavioral Analysis for Autism) to setting up programs to certify places like theme parks as 'autism friendly'. From everything I've seen, they appear to be pretty much rubber stamping most of what they receive as proof

The only issue or worry I have being lumped into "bathroom issues" is 2 things could come out of this, 1 they make it a generic bathroom policy for everyone to leave and come back including IBD/IBS people which will only benefit non IBD users because they'll use it as an excuse to ride other rides pretending to be away in long waits and IBD users could possibly lose out riding if they take too long in the bathroom, OR, 2 they will allow legitimate bathroom issues to be included as an exception into DAS, but risk of abusers. In my opinion, all disabilities, especially developmental disabilities the most (because internal), are at risk of an abuser lying about it. The only real way to curb it, is actual proof.
I get the concern :flower3: It's been shared by many especially when DLR had it occur there first months back. I'm just speaking to the "increase in DAS users might just be due to increase in diagnosis" train of thought. This thread and others like it over time have shown how wide of an application Disney had for their program.

I'm curious, what did folks do before guests were able to request DAS online? Considering it's a fairly new service, DAS was never guaranteed before arriving to a park before.
Our kids were toddlers back then. We used stroller return times at fantasyland and maxpass for things they could. That was hard because we couldn’t do rider swap either. They were impatient. We usually would do one evening maxpass rides when my family would watch them.

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/the-jim-hill-media-podcast-network/id452620851?i=1000652447127

Lots of DAS info, data and analysis from @lentesta on the Disney Dish Pod this week. Also, goes into numbers from the lawsuit and he has been talking with insiders about a lot of different things regarding abuse and ada laws, etc. Very much worth your time to listen to the 1st 22mins or so.

I can post the transcript if people want? It is quite long so not sure what folks think.
Transcript from the DAS part of the episode:

“So on several shows this year, starting with our January 1st show, we mentioned instances of what looked like questionable DAS usage in the parks, with from counting the number of people getting in lines and watching the occasional incident here or there.
And we said that we would not be surprised to see Disney make some changes to its disability access service. And then last Tuesday, Disney announced major changes to its DAS program. The changes are this.

“Disney says it's returning back to the program's original target population, which is those with developmental disabilities that prevent them from waiting in line. They're moving to a third-party verification company. We'll do live video chats with you to determine the appropriate accommodation for your need.
The interesting thing there is, Disney said that you could be able to schedule those up to 120 days in advance, which is double the 60 now, and the new program is good for 120 days, which is also double the current length. The other interesting thing is, if you show up at the parks, you will not be speaking to guest relations about that. Instead, you'll be directed to a small room, apparently near guest relations, to have that video chat with the same company.”

“So there's no getting around using that third-party company. And then kind of buried in this, Jim, did you see that Disney said that they're going to reconfigure the standby lines so that more people are able to get out and get in them? It was in the aspect, but here, let me give you the source.
So a major source of DAS use is from people who say that they have gastrointestinal issues that cause them not to be able to wait in long lines because they have to go to the bathroom too frequently to wait in that line. So Disney's addressing this by modifying the standby queues at some unspecified, but probably popular attractions to add a return to your place in line feature. They haven't exactly said how they're going to do it, but my sense is you'll be able to like, I don't know if they're going to carve up two lines into three and make one of them an exit and come back, you know, like a third lane or what, but the implementation of this is going to be interesting”

“Yeah, also Disney says that the service is now designed for a maximum group size of four friends or whatever size your immediate family is, whichever is larger and that's down from six. So we're going to restrict the number, we're going to lower the number of people who qualify, we're going to lower the maximum group size and for those who have issues that need going to the bathroom, there's another change coming for that. Okay, so the things that stay the same would be the way that you use MDE to set return times while you're in the park.
So all of that's going to stay the same. And this takes effect May 20th in Walt Disney World and June 17th in Disneyland. If you've already registered under the current process and your trip is before then, Disney says you don't have to do anything.”

“And I would expect us to hear more details around the very, very specific steps, like how's it going to work for someone with non-apparent disabilities? How's it going to work for people within wheelchairs and so on? So more of that is to come.

But the interesting thing about this is this announcement came out, and we knew it was coming, right? We knew it was coming. The number of phone calls I got that afternoon from the 407 area code providing background on this, that I'm not saying it came from Disney, I'm saying the information would be such that Disney would never say it out loud, right?
So let me say this, right? So I know a lot of people have a legitimate need for the service, either for themselves or for their children or their parents. I'm convinced Disney knows the demographics of the groups most likely to abuse this system.”

“And if you fall in that group I just mentioned, you are not the droids that they're looking for. They know who they're targeting for this, right? Yeah, so I wouldn't worry about that.
So like, and change is hard and change is scary. I really don't think this new process is gonna be substantially different for the vast majority of people who truly qualify, right? Who fall into this category, right?
The other thing I wanna mention is Disney has thousands of cast members who are either disabled or who have family members that are disabled. And if you told me this new policy went through 25 rounds of internal review and testing before we even heard about it, I would believe that. And the end result is going to be that the people who truly need accommodation are going to wait less in line when all of this is done.”

“So that's the good thing.
No, no, I agree. I agree. The notion is Disney isn't going after your child with autism.
This is an entirely different target in mind here.
Yeah, let me just say this. And I'm not saying that this was told to me or anything. If you think that the best way to get a DAS pass is to show up at a park by yourself with no doctor's note, but a script that you printed off the internet that says, words to use to skip the lines at Disney World for free.”

“And you're reading from that paper to the person at guest relations. You might want to rethink your strategy. That's all I'm going to say on that topic.
Words to the wise, Len, you know.
Okay, I'm not saying it's happened or that Disney has 700 videos like that that it backed up, but anyway. But going over some of the background information, and some of this we knew, some of this we learned, right? Here's why Disney had to make this change.
Daz abuse has gotten out of hand. And again, Disney's not going to give actual numbers on it, but you and I can piece together some things based on what it has said in the past and what it's saying today. All right, so back in 2020, Disney was sued about ADA accommodations.”

“And it was the US. District Court in Orlando. And the court found this data that Disney presented about the old guest assistance card persuasive.
They said, approximately 3.3% of guests at Disney use a guest assistance pass. But the percentage of guests on the most popular rides who have that guest assistance card and use the FastPass line was significantly higher than 3%. So the study that they did showed 3.3% of guests were 11% of riders on Space Mountain, 13% of riders on Splash Mountain, and 30% on Toy Story Mania in one week in April.
And if you look at the overall numbers over the course of a vacation, Disney engineers said that guests with a guest assistance pass were riding Toy Story Mania. Remember when Toy Story Mania came out, it was super popular. People with guest assistant passes were riding Toy Story Mania an average of 10 times more than guests who didn't have a guest assistance card pass.”

“Okay, and here's where it gets interesting. Disney said on Tuesday that the use of the DAS system had tripled in the last five years. And the DAS system allows you to bring up to five other people on the ride, and that's a really big multiplier effect for every instance of abuse.
So multiplying the previous numbers that Disney's already said in a lawsuit, not by three, right? They said it's tripled, but let's be conservative here and say 2.5, right? That means that 8% or 9% of guests with DAS cards and their groups are taking up to 75% of the seats on popular rides.
And I will defend both of those numbers, Jim, very, very hard. Like I've got to those numbers through multiple estimates and they seem to be consistent. So 8% or 9% of the guests are 75% of the people in the Lightning Lane lines, okay?”

“And that's in line with what we collected by counting the number of people in lines. This year, right, that's, I believe those numbers, right? I don't think Disney's ever gonna say it.
I believe those numbers. And the problem with that, right, is that, again, the people who legitimately need the accommodation are waiting in line longer than they should because of abuse. And remember that because we're gonna come back to that later on.
And not for nothing to, I haven't talked to anyone internally about this. I swear, I've not talked to anybody about this. But Jim, I would bet money that they looked at the upward trend in DAS use and they looked at the June opening of Tianna's bioadventure and they were scared that pretty close to 100% of the lightning lane capacity for Tianna's would have to be allocated to DAS.”

“And that would have shut up basically everyone else in the park from using lightning. And as it was told to me repeatedly, the ADA guidelines are guidelines, not a suicide pact.
Eh.
Right? And speaking of ADA guidelines, Jim, would you like to hear some interesting hypotheticals I came up with? Without talking to a single person ever, Jim, about this.
Not talking to anyone, anyone.
Well, okay, I got it.
Completely hypothetical in my head. Are you ready?
I'm sure. Sure.”

“Okay, hypothetically, Jim, remember last year when Ticketmaster was, oh sorry, in 2022, when Ticketmaster was sued by Taylor Swift fans for not doing enough to prevent bots from buying ADA designated tickets? Hypothetically, yeah, it happened, it happened. Hypothetically, hypothetically, just spitballing here.
What if Ticketmaster went to the US Department of Justice and said, I thought we couldn't require documentation here. What are we supposed to do? And then hypothetically, because I don't know anything about anything, Jim, right?
What if the DOJ said, you know, Ticketmaster, you should totally read the section marked prevention of fraud and purchase of tickets for accessible venues on our ADA requirements website last updated February 20th, 2020. Again, this is a fever dream. I don't know that this happened, right?”

“And what if Ticketmaster went back to the DOJ and said, could we get some guidance on what you mean when you say venues may take steps to prevent the fraudulent sale and use of accessible seating? Now hypothetically, right, again, I don't know that this happened. If the DOJ came back and said something like, as long as you have substantial evidence of abuse, like something that shows that people who legitimately need accommodation are being negatively affected by this fraud, and you can show that you are doing it in a minimally intrusive way that gets the job done, you can ask more questions as long as the end result is that the aforementioned people who legitimately need accommodation are better off at the end, right?
But in my head, I say that in way more expensive lawyer speak, of course, right? Okay, so let's say that that gets resolved, right? And then hypothetically, Jim, right, if you're a theme park operator with a small army of lawyers, you might approach the DOJ and say, you know, a day in a theme park is a lot like a Taylor Swift concert. There's limited seating per day, and you wanna make sure that the special seats go to those who actually need them. Would you agree? That's how I would, just me, I would open my conversation to the DOJ with that.
That seems pretty straightforward, right? No, the DOJ would come back and say, but you have proof of this abuse, right? Right, right.
And of course, because if I'm running a theme park, I would be super prepared and I would say like, oh my God, we have spent untold staff hours counting people in line. We have population analyses that would make the Census Bureau weep with joy. We have disks full of social media posts from click chasers explaining that they said that they, what they were saying to get a free front of the line pass, but the next day, film themselves sweating in a yurt during yoga in the desert for three hours.”

“Like, is that the kind of proof that you need? Because like, this is like 75% of our line sometimes. In that case, the DOJ might say, you know what, a couple more questions could be useful here.
I'm not saying it happened. I'm just saying in my head, that's how I imagine it would go.
That's a very interesting head you got going there, Len.
I picked up so many random calls from the 407 area code this week, Jim. All right, one last thing on this. And for anyone who owns Disney stock, I was also on a call with someone going through the likely park ops and financial impacts of this change.”

“And the thought occurred to me on this call that, by the way, I knew this person existed. I had no idea this person knew I existed. But I'm on this call, and the thought occurred to me that if almost four out of five people in the Lightning Lane line for popular attractions aren't paying for it, then all the extra revenue, Jim, that Parks and Resorts has seen over the last few years has come from just one in five guests in each Lightning Lane paying for it.
And that means, Jim, if these new DAS rules can convince just one in four of those users to switch to paying for Ginny+, Disney basically doubles the money it's making from Lightning Lane.
Hadn't we heard that was at least a billion?”

“The number that no one disagrees with, let's put it this way, is 800 million. And I've talked to a bunch of people about this. If you told me a billion, I'd believe a billion, sort of like in secondary stuff or whatever.
Anyway, so when I was in this call with someone, I said, okay, you know, like the numbers indicate that people who really need DAS are being harmed by waiting in line longer, right? And these changes will fulfill the intent of the ADA guidelines. So on that alone, right, you should make the changes.”

“You should make the changes to do good. And they said, you know, yeah, that's really what we're trying to do. That is literally the intent.
And then I said, so the extra billion dollars in profit is just a byproduct you'll have to live with? And Jim, this person laughed and laughed until they, until they coughed. Honest to God, I have never heard anyone at that level of a company laugh that hard in my life.
He laughed and laughed and laughed. It was hilarious.”

“They took it in the spirit it was intended, right? I really do think this is the right move, right? But it's just...
Oh, no, no, no, totally. But let's be honest here. It is the right move, but on the same time, it's a right move that Disney has a huge financial incentive to implement.
Right. Exactly.
The payoff is huge.
Oh, by the way, I was talking to somebody else, and I was relating this story to them, and they mentioned... I don't want to know if you've heard this, that when Imagineering is coming up with their next generation of rides, part of their financial modeling is actually building in the individual lightning lane and Gini Plus revenue, which conceivably would allow them to either fund bigger projects or more projects sooner. Hypothetically, I don't really know what the number is, but if we're getting $40 million a year out of Rise of the Resistance and the ride costs $500 million to build, your timeframe for profitability is reduced.”

“Also, it reduces the risk. If you think about how Disney used to make its money back in opening rides, it was like, okay, we're going to spend $100 million building Splash Mountain. I hope to God the advertising is good enough to get people to book trips so we can make that money back.
That's an indirect way of measuring the success of an individual attraction, right?
Oh, yeah. But at the same time, to circle back to what you mentioned at the top of the segment about Daz, think about the very thing you just mentioned about, okay, we're gonna have to reconfigure the line so there is a way for people to exit from the line, get to a bathroom, and then return to the line without disrupting. And it's just sort of when you factor in what that's going to mean, that you now have to go to the pre-existing queues for at least all of the most popular attractions of the park and work this in.”

“I mean, it just sort of reminds me of what happened back in the late 1990s, early 2000s, when FastPass first came in, and every time they put in a new FastPass, it was a million dollars. In fact, it was Bruce Vaughn, the then head, or the now head of Imagineering, who was championing FastPass back in the day, who said, look, yes, it's a million dollars, but when you think about, you know, someone isn't waiting in line, which means they're in the shop. They're getting drinks.
They're eating Mickey pretzels, yeah.
Yeah, I mean, we are making that money back. Trust me, invest that money.
Yeah, 100%. And this is way easier to measure.
I agree.”

From The Jim Hill Media Podcast Network: DD Ep 475: Re-opened 1900 Park Fare serves up a superior character meal, Apr 14, 2024
https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podca...-fare-serves-up-a/id452620851?i=1000652447127
This material may be protected by copyright.

In the past you could go to guest services at Downtown Disney and get your DAS.
Not in the past 14 years or so. DAS (and previously GAC) was only available at a theme park Guest Relations location. That may have been outside the theme park, but not at Downtown Disney or Disney Springs. You can purchase tickets there, get APs or other tickets validated there, but not the DAS or GAC.

You also had non expiring tickets available
The no-expiration ticket add-on option was discontinued in 2015. It has been many years now. I realize that many folks are still using up old tickets, but someone who is using them now either stocked up big time or has made very few trips over the past 8+ years.

Disney was also not trying to limit DAS
Not exactly true. When DAS first came out there were many reports of folks who didn't qualify. "Bathroom issues" was one of the most common that I'd say only a few reported being approved. I do believe CMs have gotten more lenient as guests have become more forceful (sort of a combination there). The proposed change is Disney's way of re-training CMs to get more control over it. That's not to say bathroom issues shouldn't be accommodated, or vision issues or many others. Just that there may be other options for some instead of the blanket "DAS for everyone."

I fully understand and agree with the frustration -- and worry -- about the lack of complete information. And too much "maybe this..." vs "maybe that..." going on as people try to guess at the new accommodations. Very poor roll-out.

is it preferable to accommodate more disabled riders at the expense of smaller parties, or fewer disabled riders with more family members able to accompany them?
Are you suggesting they limit the number of disabled individual allowed to enter a park? That wouldn't be legal.

It will be interesting to see in just over a month what the impact on the LL availability is going to be. If the current abuse of DAS takes up as much of the LL line capacity that has been rumored, then this should (in theory) reduce the LL lines and increase availability.

This news of the new DAS system is extremely discouraging for a person like myself. I typically go once a year, live in Canada, so can't afford to go all the time like an AP holder. I suffer from severe UC and for years the only way I could enjoy the parks is to have DAS and the old FP system (now I use Genie+ and LL) coinciding together to limit the amount of rides that I have to physical wait IN THE LINE for, with the frequency and duration of my bathroom breaks, it makes standing in lines impossible. Firstly, I hope that Disney still has the heart to include people who have IBD's because it really is a silent disability that no one can see physically or through actions. Secondly, if they think they can try to accommodate IBD's with some form of return to queue, it doesn't work. Having someone have the ability to leave the line and being able to return to their party in line sounds simple enough but let me run an example for you. When you suffer from an IBD (in my case I tend to go 6-10 times in a day and can vary from anywhere from 5min to 40 min - yes 40 min and if you don't believe me, well then you live my painful bloody life and you judge for yourself). If I go into a line that is 90 min wait time, and let's say luckily I made it through 70 min of waiting so far, then oops here comes the bathroom calling, I supposedly take a couple min to find a CM they grant me a leave, I rush to leave the ride for a few min to get to the nearest bathroom, and lets say I wait under 1 min for a stall (still looking at 5-10 min process at best). I do my business but it was a bad one and took 30 min, and then return a few min later to front of line to be able to return to my spot (according to my math, I'm sitting at minimum 40 min now and my party has either had to ride the ride without me because unsure how long I will be and I wasted 70 of my own minutes OR they have the wait extra 20-25 min which hurts the whole party. I can't operate a normal schedule at a park with sort of all day experience. My local theme park Canada's Wonderland, tried something similar to that where you wait at the end for your party and ultimately had to change it and give me the full disability function of return times because I had a high frequency of being trapped in a flare bathroom visit by the time my party got to the front to ride and missed out. Lastly, because of my constant bathroom visits, with 2 young kids 4 and 6 years old, we generally need to bring either grandparents, other family, or friends to tag along at theme parks so my wife is able to take the 2 kids on smaller kid rides or short wait times while I'm away because kids need a supervised adult with them. The new 4 person rule would hamper my family as well. Sorry for the long rant but it's important to know all the disabilities out there and can't be excluding all the legitimate ones. I would be glad to go through the same process Universal has with the IBCCES card which I have gone through and have been approved for. Hoping before I go in August, this is all sorted out for the best.
This is what they’re using for this type of thing at Disneyland. This attachment is from the Disneyland disability guide. IMG_9072.png

Here is some numbers as the reason Disney had to change things.

8% of visitors are DAS
70% of a rides capacity is given to DAS
74-85% of LL users are DAS

15-26% of LL users are G+
10-25% of a rides capacity is given to G+

5-20% of a rides capacity is given to standby guests

8% of visitors get 70% of a rides capacity
92% of visitors get 30% of a rides capacity, which is unevenly given to G+ users

This is a huge problem and needs a radical solution, I’m sorry it’s causing heartache to some of the most vulnerable in our society but the company cannot function, nor is it fair to the rest of us, for this to continue.

You were asked for a source and you linked to another forum post? But I didn't see a source from that post either, so I'm still wondering where these numbers ORIGINALLY came from and if they can be trusted?

The spirit of DAS is that you ARE a standby guest. When FoP was 5 hours recently, if you were using DAS for it you had to wait FIVE HOURS before you were granted access to the lightning lane to ride. It's not as if you get to entirely skip the line and selfishly grab capacity from non-disabled guests! Capacity on rides for DAS is first come, first serve just like everybody else in line.

The problem though is that DAS users are allowed to go on other rides via standby for those 5 hours (or to shows and other activities) while people physically waiting those five hours in line were doing nothing more than waiting in line. I think that's the part of DAS that makes it most appealing to any potential fakers out there, and is the part Disney should reconsider and limit or get rid of entirely.

Many if not most of us can wait we just can't wait in line.

Are you suggesting they limit the number of disabled individual allowed to enter a park? That wouldn't be legal.
No, I’m suggesting the choice may either be keeping the criteria the same but cutting down the party size, or keeping the party size the same but changing what qualifies for DAS (vs other accommodations that many on this board have said won’t work for them). Disney seems to be doing a bit of both, but with everyone on the board up in arms I wonder which the DISboards community would prefer.

You were asked for a source and you linked to another forum post? But I didn't see a source from that post either, so I'm still wondering where these numbers ORIGINALLY came from and if they can be trusted?

The spirit of DAS is that you ARE a standby guest. When FoP was 5 hours recently, if you were using DAS for it you had to wait FIVE HOURS before you were granted access to the lightning lane to ride. It's not as if you get to entirely skip the line and selfishly grab capacity from non-disabled guests! Capacity on rides for DAS is first come, first serve just like everybody else in line.

The problem though is that DAS users are allowed to go on other rides via standby for those 5 hours (or to shows and other activities) while people physically waiting those five hours in line were doing nothing more than waiting in line. I think that's the part of DAS that makes it most appealing to any potential fakers out there, and is the part Disney should reconsider and limit or get rid of entirely.

Many if not most of us can wait we just can't wait in line.
If you read transcript that was posted from the Len Testa podcast a lot of those numbers come from there.

The issue isn't that you don't wait in line, it's the line you enter is the problem. As far as I know Disney calculates Genie+ availability not counting those with DAS.

I'm curious, what did folks do before guests were able to request DAS online? Considering it's a fairly new service, DAS was never guaranteed before arriving to a park before.

Mostly before this we used Fastpass and were able to make our day work, although my medical issues were also easier to manage then. The first time I got DAS was right before they started doing it online and I requested it at the park. I did r know if it would be granted, but I was so glad it was, because our trip was so much more doable. But I would say that Fastpass was a reason that people were able to take things work in years past.

If you read transcript that was posted from the Len Testa podcast a lot of those numbers come from there.

The issue isn't that you don't wait in line, it's the line you enter is the problem. As far as I know Disney calculates Genie+ availability not counting those with DAS.
But if you've been waiting 5 hours "in line" virtually you are simply using the lightning lane to rejoin your rightful place in line physically. It's not like DAS people are jamming up the standby line by skipping ahead of them. They are "in" the standby line and they somehow need to get to the front of the standby line when it's their turn. Short of putting in a third DAS line, lightning lane is the only way to do it.

I'm sure we can all agree Disney has plenty of data to calculate Genie+ availability under this or ANY system.

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/the-jim-hill-media-podcast-network/id452620851?i=1000652447127

Lots of DAS info, data and analysis from @lentesta on the Disney Dish Pod this week. Also, goes into numbers from the lawsuit and he has been talking with insiders about a lot of different things regarding abuse and ada laws, etc. Very much worth your time to listen to the 1st 22mins or so.

I can post the transcript if people want? It is quite long so not sure what folks think.
Thank you for sharing this. A really measured podcast with useful info and without any of the hurtful intonations that have been prevalent in a lot of conversations about this. This week’s been horrible for me - have had people tell me I should be in a wheelchair (literally against my medical advice) and that I am to blame for this change - and this has been the first reassuring thing I’ve heard.

Still think Disney has publicly handled this terribly (have worked in Comms) and that more clarification should have been included from the start, but they seem to think more info will be coming and (I think) implied that there’ll be flexibility beyond developmental disorders.

The discussion from around 16:00 on documentation/further evidence is really intriguing and interested to see what this amounts to when it starts.

I think that's the part of DAS that makes it most appealing to any potential fakers out there, and is the part Disney should reconsider and limit or get rid of entirely.
Since I had looked up Tokyo Disneyland yesterday it may be of notation that there they explicitly tell you you are unable to go on another attraction while using their service something I didn't realize was the case.

"You will not be able to experience another attraction or Disney Character greeting while using this service."

In addition unlike how we consider it in the U.S. Tokyo explicitly say
  • This service is not intended to shorten your wait time at an attraction or a Disney Character greeting location.
  • Depending on the degree of assistance needed or specific conditions at an attraction, your wait time may be longer than that of the Guests standing in line
Notoriously Tokyo has said to have very long lines for their attractions and their food even (I've seen stories of 1 hour waits for just QS though mobile ordering was just launched). I can see why their service simply can't overpromise here.

I don't mention this to mean the U.S. parks are like that but just to provide information because there was a lot of discussion about Disney writing in you could do other things and that is presently how the U.S. parks are set up but may not be the case for the international parks. There is also complexity involved with the international parks in so much as who owns and operates them. Tokyo for instance is not owned by Disney at all but licenses the Disney content.

But if you've been waiting 5 hours "in line" virtually you are simply using the lightning lane to rejoin your rightful place in line physically. It's not like DAS people are jamming up the standby line by skipping ahead of them. They are "in" the standby line and they somehow need to get to the front of the standby line when it's their turn. Short of putting in a third DAS line, lightning lane is the only way to do it.

I'm sure we can all agree Disney has plenty of data to calculate Genie+ availability under this or ANY system.
I'm not disagreeing with that. It's not that easy to calculate for DAS as the party sizes fluctuate a lot.

"You will not be able to experience another attraction or Disney Character greeting while using this service."
This makes a lot of sense to me. If DAS users are clogging up any lines....it's not for the attraction they are "virtually" in the standby line for. It's not the lightning lanes either. It's for when they join ANOTHER standby line while simultaneously in line "virtually" for their DAS attraction. Now they are in TWO standby lines at once, a clear advantage.

If Disney disallowed DAS users from going on other rides but kept literally all other parts of the program the same I would wager that standby wait times would go down.

It must be said that there are some who say they need the accommodation of getting through the parks faster due to a disability and DAS helps them do this. But that is a separate conversation.

Last edited:
Since I had looked up Tokyo Disneyland yesterday it may be of notation that there they explicitly tell you you are unable to go on another attraction while using their service something I didn't realize was the case.

In addition unlike how we consider it in the U.S. Tokyo explicitly say
  • This service is not intended to shorten your wait time at an attraction or a Disney Character greeting location.
  • Depending on the degree of assistance needed or specific conditions at an attraction, your wait time may be longer than that of the Guests standing in line
Notoriously Tokyo has said to have very long lines for their attractions and their food even (I've seen stories of 1 hour waits for just QS though mobile ordering was just launched). I can see why their service simply can't overpromise here.
Thought I’d add to this as I go to Tokyo Disney a few times a year (and haven’t been to the US parks since my disability worsened), the guidance used to be, I believe, that you basically had to sit and wait for that time but has more recently said you can use it to shop/get food. They don’t monitor it explicitly though and I’ve heard some cast members say that people have been abusing this (but obviously far harder to do when you need medical proof).

It’s also worth noting given the discussions before about how some people used to be able to manage their condition with fastpass without needing further accommodations, that Tokyo is great for this. Their paid premier access pass gets you on the ride almost immediately and there’s also free fast passes atm which do similar. I know the parks there well and this lets me manage my day in a way that means I’m never standing for long periods and don’t need to get the disability pass (despite numerous cast members trying to get me to get one). Think they’re less good with some mobility issues though, you get asked at every mountain if you can safely evacuate without help and that you must be able to to ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter