DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

May I have a question?

Do you guys really think that Disney would go and deny DAS to everyone but those with developmental disability?

What about those folks who are deemed to be unfit to work permanently? The official medical board decided that you "kinda really disabled so we can't expect from you to work" but Disney would decide that no you are indeed good to go to conquer a 2-3 hours line standing... maybe in the heat....

I don't want to believe that Disney could/would do that.

I'm making myself crazy 🤪 it seems.

Good luck to everyone to get the necessary accommodation they need for their next trip!

I think I have to quit overthinking this my health is already suffering .
Or the Make A Wish kids who may be sitting in a wheelchair, but still may not have the stamina to be up and about too long, nor should they be near a lot of people and germs in a tight space.

Since DAS is intended primarily for children with DD I’m guessing that’s where they are trying to accommodate more guests.

Several posters have stated this but it is incorrect. Developmental disabilities affect adults too. Unfortunately not even Disney magic can "cure" the disability and make it go away at age 18 (or 21 or any age). Neither the WDW nor the DLR websites suggest anything about age. Disney has stated DAS is "intended to accommodate those Guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time."

I am
guessing that they are seeing abuse from the adult population more than groups with disabled children. Since DAS is intended primarily for children with DD I’m guessing that’s where they are trying to accommodate more guests.
I’m not sure either of those statements are necessarily true. It’s been shocking to
Hear of
I am not developmentally disabled nor do I have autism so I understand I will not be eligible under the new rules.
Again, while a majority here think only autism may qualify, others of beg to differ

ADHDis a neurodevelopmental condition, with its own spectrum of symptoms and severities. I don’t believe it would be excluded out of hand.

IMO, it’s a starting point. Will be more about the individual’s specific needs, not the specific diagnosis

I know people who still argue whether autism and ADHD are related. It’s possible to experience both, along with a host of other diagnosis.

I have looked thru this thread but still don’t understand if I should apply for DAS for my trip on beginning May 2nd. I have been approved since my diagnosis in 2019. I am not developmentally disabled nor do I have autism so I understand I will not be eligible under the new rules. Will other accommodations be available? Do I have to call to qualify for them? Thank you!
The new changes do not take effect at WDW until May 20th (June 18th at DLR/DCA). If you feel you need accommodations, as you've had in the past, you should absolutely go ahead and do the pre-registration now. Your next visit may be with different accommodations, so you can use this one to think about how that might work for you.

If you were planning to register at the park, that is still available.

There's a lot of protections of data and disclosures that needs to be enacted when obtaining health specific diagnosis and a whole can of worms opened when that is crossed.

Universal outsourced it and still has to deal with the determination of the accommodation.

Disney simple does not want to go there and looking at needs based irrespective of diagnosis to reach an offer of reasonable accommodation.
Disney already has a record of those who had GAC and DAS. They know what their reasons were for needing it. My point is, Disney can check your history and see you have had it all along, that is has nothing to do with the implementation of LL and trying to get over or abuse the system. They have your information already. It's not opening a can of worms whe they already have the information on you.

Several posters have stated this but it is incorrect. Developmental disabilities affect adults too. Unfortunately not even Disney magic can "cure" the disability and make it go away at age 18 (or 21 or any age). Neither the WDW nor the DLR websites suggest anything about age. Disney has stated DAS is "intended to accommodate those Guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time."

No, they can't cure the disability, but almost every major medical site has stated that through treatment, the symptoms of the disease can be mitigated for many as they age, so it's no guarantee that a disabled autistic child will need the same services as a disabled autistic adult. Some may...some may not.

So, I would expect more scrutiny for all adults, whether they have developmental disabilities or other disabilities.

it's no guarantee that a disabled autistic child will need the same services as a disabled autistic adult
There's no guarantee a child with ASD needs DAS either. I know a couple myself, and there have been plenty of posts on the disABILITIES Forum of the same. So no, I disagree with the PP's statement that DAS is primarily intended for children. According to Disney, the DAS is "intended to accommodate those Guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time" regardless of age.

Hey, if Disney can cure my Autism, I promise I'll never apply for a DAS again. Sounds fair to me.

Did universal give you the accommodations? As I’ve been told even though I have been approved for IBCCES then they still could reject it when I Get the call from universal team.

Also does anyone know if you have to have tickets before you can apply for these as it won’t work for me and if I can’t get DAS then I won’t spend money on tickets.
Sometime in the near future, Universal should send you an email asking for a telephone number, advantageous times for a phone call, and dates of your planned upcoming trip.

When I got mine, for the upcoming trip date, I put TBD and an explanation that purchasing tickets/confirming a trip would depend on whether or not I had accommodations.

So unless they have changed the process, it is possible to have an undetermined trip date for universal when requesting the AAP/accommodations.

I haven't been to universal just yet since their change to IBCCES system, going in August, but I did apply for IBCCES in December and was approved after showing my medicinal proof and gastroenterologist contact. I know for DAS you need to sadly need to purchase tickets before approaching them 30 days before your visit. Universal if I'm remembering you need to apply for IBCCES (they recommend 30 days away but you can do it earlier), still need to go in person on your visit and present them your card and like before will decide at that point to issue your AAP but once again, would need to have purchased tickets before finding out.
This is inaccurate. You do not need to have tickets, just state that purchasing tickets/solidifying dates is dependent on whether accommodations are received or not. I was able to get my accommodation approved without firm dates and with no tickets in hand.

Last edited:
Universal attaches your accommodation to your IBCCES Card which is why you don’t require a ticket/pass to register. Also why the accommodation remains active as long as your IBCCES Card is active.

Disney attaches your accommodation to your ticket/pass therefore you are required to have one to register (and it expires when a ticket is used or expired). You’ll have to re-register when you require a new ticket OR in 120 days, whichever is shorter.

As far as Universal's current policy, I'm sure they are watching Disney closely this summer, and will be adjusting based on how Disney's new plan is received and implemented, prior to opening their big new park in 2025.

AKA - They may also be accumulating all their data for a slam dunk case, and are just a few months behind Disney.
You may be correct on this, although until you brought it up, that hadn't crossed my mind. I used accommodations at both parks on visits earlier this year.

In March at Disney, I occasionally noticed another party checking in for DAS at the same time as me, but it seemed most parties in the LL were scanning green rather than blue.

In January at Universal - every ride I used the AAP for, there were 1-2 other parties at the CM either requesting a return time or redeeming one. At Hagrid's, it was an 8ish deep queue of people. I was really surprised at the high rate of usage (this even after the documentation/stricter level of scrutiny in granting the AAP).

But if you cannot afford the Dr visits needed for a diagnosis and treatment, I feel like chances are high you aren't really able to afford Disney anyway?
For many people/conditions, getting all of the necessary appointments to determine a diagnosis can be cost-prohibitive. Just saying if you can afford Disney then you can afford to get diagnosed doesn't really cut it in many scenarios and also leaves out that some people are gifted their Disney trips by family or others. So not everyone who goes to Disney can afford the oftentimes ridiculously expensive appts and tests required for a diagnosis.

And since this comment was part of the discussion on proving disability with documentation, cost isn't the only factor making documentation difficult. I'm fortunate in that my medical care is free at the VA as all of my disabilities are service connected so paying for diagnosis would not be the issue for me. It is almost impossible, however, to get doctors to write a letter though, and even more unlikely to receive a letter that would actually include info required to verify it's contents (like doctor id number, direct phone number, email), nor will they verify they wrote a letter should whoever actually get through to them to ask them. This isn't only limited to the VA. Many other doctors won't write letters, provide direct contact info, or confirm the contents of letters they write for privacy reasons.

Beyond that, getting doctor's appointments in a timely manner isn't always possible. I've been waiting for several referrals for 3.5 years! Getting documentation isn't always a quick phone call. It often requires in-person appts, even for issues that have already been diagnosed, with no guarantee that you will even get the documentation needed, and no true way to verify. Plus, as has already been stated, diagnosis doesn't mean accomodations are required.
It's pretty close. These are the numbers that Disney released from the 2020 lawsuit.
3.3% of the people in the park were using 30% of Toy Story's ride capacity.

Disney said on that use of the system has tripled in the last 5 years.

Okay, so if back in 2013, 3.3% of guests were using 30% of ride capacity at a popular ride, and use has tripled since then, you'd think roughly 33% to 90% of riders on popular rides were using DAS to access the ride.
Right, and if the statistic of usage tripling in the last 5 years is to be believed, that's usage since 2019. It's likely that between 2013-2019 there was an increase in usage as well, which would mean that there's a good chance that it's greater than 9.9% now (3.3% guests issued DAS in 2013 times 3). Multiply that by the number of total people in a DAS party, that could be 10-60% of guests (not counting any additional increase of DAS users between 2013-2019). Even for the lower range, that's not an insignificant number.
While this may be true, the flip side of this is that most often posted ride times are significantly inflated vs. the actual wait time being experienced by standby guests.

Disney has a conflict of interest in posting accurate standby wait times:
1) The economic incentive to post higher standby wait times = driving more sales of Genie+ and ILL. It's a cost/benefit analysis that everybody performs whether they explicitly do some math, or just weigh whether they are willing to pay the amount or not.
2) Guest happiness / satisfaction = if the posted time is 30 minutes, and you wait 15 or 20 minutes for the ride, you are happier. If the posted wait time is 30 minutes and you wait 45 minutes, you are upset that you ended up waiting longer.
3) Maintenance / Ride break down margin. This also falls into #2, but by erring on the side of over-estimating a wait time, it allows for a delay in operations without failing to meet the wait time.

While DAS is supposed to take into account the LL wait time when scheduling your return time, in my experience often the return time I receive is the current time plus the posted standby wait time. Or the LL wait time is significantly longer than the adjustment granted.

I grumble about it a bit with my family, but know that being able to go to a shop, or go to a walk-on ride while waiting helps to offset the impact of these things. If Disney removed the ability to do any other experience while waiting, then I would expect them to get greater scrutiny over their posted wait times.

Hopefully, with enacting these changes, the LL wait times go down, and are more in line with the adjustment to return times given. But, I think that any conversation about the benefits of DAS needs to be tempered with the drawbacks.
I agree that inflated standby waits do make DAS users have to wait longer. I do wonder, however, how much that is off-set by the benefit of being able to schedule wait times online. DAS users can get a DAS wait time while they are standing in the LL for another ride. It sounds like currently once you tap in to the LL (or the second checkpoint on some rides), you are then immediately able to schedule another DAS ride. This allows a DAS user to be in two lines at once, whereas a non-DAS user can't be. Also, a non-DAS user has to physically walk to and enter a line for their wait to begin, whereas a DAS can be on the other side of the park, schedule their return time and be waiting. This is completely disregarding a DAS user being able to be in a DAS wait for one ride and entering a standby line during that wait. If the ability to do that were eliminated as you discussed, there's still the opportunity for a DAS user to be virtually waiting in in 2 lines at once, and for a DAS guest to potentially be in lines sooner (therefore more frequently) than a non-DAS user.

Ex. Non-DAS guests enters BTMR queue at 10, rides BTMR at 11, exits at 11:05. Then they spend 20 mins walking to Buzz (not sure if that's how long it would take, but just an example). Enter standby queue for Buzz at 11:25, ride at 12:05.

DAS guest requests return time online for BTMR at 10, gets return time of 10:50 (standby of 1 hr minus 10 mins). Gets in line, waits 10 mins (new change seems to indicate a 10 min wait before scheduling next ride) and right before they get on the ride, they are able to schedule return time for Buzz. Standby is 40 mins, so their return time is 11:30. Exits ride at 11:05, spends 20 mins walking to Buzz and it's not 11:25. They wait 5 mins and enter LL queue at 11:30, ride by 11:40.

They were able to get through those 2 rides quicker than the non-DAS user because they can be in that second line virtually while still in the LL for the first, and while they are walking to the second ride. A non-DAS user can't be in the line until they are physically in the line.

If we factor in current inflated standby waits, then the DAS user would then be waiting longer than the non-DAS user for that particular ride, but would it still be longer overall/throughout the day considering the factors above with being able to enter a line much sooner than a non-DAS user?

You specifically mentioned that if they remove the current ability for a DAS user to enter a standby line during their virtual wait for another ride, then they have to stop inflating standby waits to compensate. If they do that, a DAS user could *perceivably* get through several attractions in a quicker time. Now, I know that disabilities aren't always going to make something like that possible, nor am I saying that I think Disney should do this or that. This is merely an example of how it is *possible* (not guaranteed or applicable to ALL DAS users) for them to make it through lines quicker than a non-DAS guest.

Last edited:
You may be correct on this, although until you brought it up, that hadn't crossed my mind. I used accommodations at both parks on visits earlier this year.

In March at Disney, I occasionally noticed another party checking in for DAS at the same time as me, but it seemed most parties in the LL were scanning green rather than blue.

In January at Universal - every ride I used the AAP for, there were 1-2 other parties at the CM either requesting a return time or redeeming one. At Hagrid's, it was an 8ish deep queue of people. I was really surprised at the high rate of usage (this even after the documentation/stricter level of scrutiny in granting the AAP).
Keep in mind though that you would have to see the first person (DAS holder scan) in order to see the blue. Since one DAS can have 5 (or more) non-DAS holder attached to it who scan green, it’s always more likely that you’ll see a non-DAS holder than a DAS holder, even though the people you’re seeing may well be attached to a DAS.

For many people/conditions, getting all of the necessary appointments to determine a diagnosis can be cost-prohibitive. Just saying if you can afford Disney then you can afford to get diagnosed doesn't really cut it in many scenarios and also leaves out that some people are gifted their Disney trips by family or others. So not everyone who goes to Disney can afford the oftentimes ridiculously expensive appts and tests required for a diagnosis.

And since this comment was part of the discussion on proving disability with documentation, cost isn't the only factor making documentation difficult. I'm fortunate in that my medical care is free at the VA as all of my disabilities are service connected so paying for diagnosis would not be the issue for me. It is almost impossible, however, to get doctors to write a letter though, and even more unlikely to receive a letter that would actually include info required to verify it's contents (like doctor id number, direct phone number, email), not will they verify they wrote a letter should whoever actually get through to them to ask them. This isn't only limited to the VA. Many other doctors won't write letters, provide direct contact info, or confirm the contents of letters they write for privacy reasons.

Beyond that, getting doctor's appointments in a timely manner isn't always possible. I've been waiting for several referrals for 3.5 years! Getting documentation isn't always a quick phone call. It often requires in-person appts, even for issues that have already been diagnosed, with no guarantee that you will even get the documentation needed, and no true way to verify. Plus, as has already been stated, diagnosis doesn't mean accomodations are required.

Right, and if the statistic of usage tripling in the last 5 years is to be believed, that's usage since 2019. It's likely that between 2013-2019 there was an increase in usage as well, which would mean that there's a good chance that it's greater than 9.9% now (3.3% guests issued DAS in 2013 times 3). Multiply that by the number of total people in a DAS party, that could be 10-60% of guests (not counting any additional increase of DAS users between 2013-2019). Even for the lower range, that's not an insignificant number.

I agree that inflated standby waits do make DAS users have to wait longer. I do wonder, however, how much that is off-set by the benefit of being able to schedule wait times online. DAS users can get a DAS wait time while they are standing in the LL for another ride. It sounds like currently once you tap in to the LL (or the second checkpoint on some rides), you are then immediately able to schedule another DAS ride. This allows a DAS user to be in two lines at once, whereas a non-DAS user can't be. Also, a non-DAS user has to physically walk to and enter a line for their wait to begin, whereas a DAS can be on the other side of the park, schedule their return time and be waiting. This is completely disregarding a DAS user being able to be in a DAS wait for one ride and entering a standby line during that wait. If the ability to do that were eliminated as you discussed, there's still the opportunity for a DAS user to be virtually waiting in in 2 lines at once, and for a DAS guest to potentially be in lines sooner (therefore more frequently) than a non-DAS user.

Ex. Non-DAS guests enters BTMR queue at 10, rides BTMR at 11, exits at 11:05. Then they spend 20 mins walking to Buzz (not sure if that's how long it would take, but just an example). Enter standby queue for Buzz at 11:20, ride at 12.

DAS guest requests return time online for BTMR at 10, gets return time of 10:50 (standby of 1 hr minus 10 mins). Gets in line, waits 10 mins (new change seems to indicate a 10 min wait before scheduling next ride) and right before they get on the ride, they are able to schedule return time for Buzz. Standby is 40 mins, so their return time is 11:30. Exits ride at 11:05, spends 20 mins walking to Buzz and it's not 11:25. They wait 5 mins and enter LL queue at 11:30, ride by 11:40.

They were able to get through those 2 rides quicker than the non-DAS user because they can be in that second line virtually while still in the LL for the first, and while they are walking to the second ride. A non-DAS user can't be in the line until they are physically in the line.

If we factor in current inflated standby waits, then the DAS user would then be waiting longer than the non-DAS user for that particular ride, but would it still be longer overall/throughout the day considering the factors above with being able to enter a line much sooner than a non-DAS user?

You specifically mentioned that if they remove the current ability for a DAS user to enter a standby line during their virtual wait for another ride, then they have to stop inflating standby waits to compensate. If they do that, a DAS user could *perceivably* get through several attractions in a quicker time. Now, I know that disabilities aren't always going to make something like that possible, nor am I saying that I think Disney should do this or that. This is merely an example of how it is *possible* (not guaranteed or applicable to ALL DAS users) for them to make it through lines quicker than a non-DAS guest.
The other thing that needs to end, IMO, is allowing DAS (or Genie+) scan in 5 minutes before their return time.

Disney already has a record of those who had GAC and DAS. They know what their reasons were for needing it. My point is, Disney can check your history and see you have had it all along, that is has nothing to do with the implementation of LL and trying to get over or abuse the system. They have your information already. It's not opening a can of worms whe they already have the information on you.
those who have been granted GAC & DAS for a long time often only had to mention one compelling ‘reason’ before being stopped by CS and told they absolutely qualified

All without any need to discuss their possible numerous co-morbidities (and the accompanying challenges to wait in long queues) that would also likely have qualified them for the accommodation in the past

IMO They need to be prepared for longer conversations and be willing to evaluate new (to them) issues

The other thing that needs to end, IMO, is allowing DAS (or Genie+) scan in 5 minutes before their return time.
I thought about including that in my example but wasn't sure if they still allowed that. So yeah, in my example, the DAS party could go straight from BTMR directly to Buzz and into the LL with no wait and get off 5 mins sooner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter