DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

For what it’s worth, I do not think Disney could/would offer a tiered set of accommodations where one is free and the other is not. They cannot charge for providing equitable access/reasonable accommodations. Once they have met that criteria, I don’t think offering even better/more desirable access would be considered equitable or reasonable and therefore it would no longer be an accommodation. It would be an advantage and thus something anyone could buy, like Genie+.

TIME FOR A BREAK!

Recent posts are just imaginings and starting to get out of hand. Besides not being of any value to the discussion of changes, it’s divisive within a community that should be supportive of each other. It’s pushing posters away and adding confusion. Let’s put it on hold and wait for details of the changes.

The things you mentioned are considered personal items. The ADA ensures that people are able to use these types of personal items, but does not require businesses to provide them.

https://www.ada.gov/resources/opdmds/
Looks like that's for the mobility devices. Is there anything about other things that could be considered accommodations? Headphones, hearing devices, ear plugs, etc?
For what it’s worth, I do not think Disney could/would offer a tiered set of accommodations where one is free and the other is not. They cannot charge for providing equitable access/reasonable accommodations. Once they have met that criteria, I don’t think offering even better/more desirable access would be considered equitable or reasonable and therefore it would no longer be an accommodation. It would be an advantage and thus something anyone could buy, like Genie+.
So then it would be better to beef up Genie+, so a normal guest or someone with small accommodations would want to buy it, and maybe make it so it's not as effective when used in combination with DAS.

EDIT: just saw the mod post. Will stop thinking of possible new solutions for a bit 😅

Looks like that's for the mobility devices. Is there anything about other things that could be considered accommodations? Headphones, hearing devices, ear plugs, etc?

So then it would be better to beef up Genie+, so a normal guest or someone with small accommodations would want to buy it, and maybe make it so it's not as effective when used in combination with DAS.
The article I linked is specifically about mobility devices, but all the things you mentioned are personal devices. Some businesses may offer them but it’s not required.

As to the other question, I wish I had the answers to make things as equitable as possible for as many people as possible!

I'm not being snarky here, as I have no knowledge of the law, but how is it then legal to charge people to rent wheelchairs and ECVs or to pay for things like stim toys and/or headphones?

Guests may provide their own. Mobility devices, headphones/earmuffs, hearing aids, glasses, stim toys, fidgets, etc. those are all allowed to be brought into a park. There is no requirement they be provided, for purchase or rent, definitely not for free. Regardless of whether owned or used anywhere but at WDW. DAS cannot be “bring your own.” Neither is a ramp. Nor closed captioning. Etc.

Guests may provide their own. Mobility devices, headphones/earmuffs, heating aids, glasses, stim toys, fidgets, etc. those are all allowed to be brought into a park. There is no requirement they be provided, for purchase or rent, definitely not for free. Regardless of whether owned or used anywhere but at WDW. DAS cannot be “bring your own.” Neither is a ramp. Nor closed captioning. Etc.
I understand now. Thank you & AussieFan for explaining!

TIME FOR A BREAK!

Recent posts are just imaginings and starting to get out of hand. Besides not being of any value to the discussion of changes, it’s divisive within a community that should be supportive of each other. It’s pushing posters away and adding confusion. Let’s put it on hold and wait for details of the changes.
This thread has been great for breaking news information, like updates to the various Disney websites which can happen at any moment.

That, too. We went this weekend and had Space Mountain (both times), Guardians, Remy, *and* Test Track break down as we approached. The only ride we tried to go on that didn't break down was Tron.
Most of ride break downs are now caused by people dropping stuff outside the ride vehicles, which on many attractions immediately shuts the ride down, especially on trackless rides.

Exactly!

There are so many things that Disney will have to track…such as DAS being granted because single guest couldn’t use Rider Switch. So when Single User with DAS goes to add someone else to the DAS, CM can just say
Something interesting I thought of today since one of my last posts yesterday was comparing current DAS and Genie+ and how some members use both.

I was thinking first of how useful DAS is and how crazy useful it can be when an abuser/faker ALSO uses G+. I thought, what if you don't allow DAS users to purchase G+ anymore, since DAS is usually superior anyway? They share some things in common, but are different enough to be useful together and that may cut down on people faking or abusing DAS + Genie+. If someone is looking for the absolute shortest waits all day, they would combine both, so making them jump through hoops for DAS may not be as worth it.

But then I got to thinking if they would even be able to do that. Is the reason they keep DAS and G+ different enough to be compatible together because they actually have to offer it to all DAS guests? Every normal guest has an option to buy G+ if they want, so at the start of every day would every DAS guest have to be able to buy it as well, even though DAS is similar (and most people thing superior) in it's current form?

Just some thoughts!
I think that because DAS is the way for the disabled guest to enter the standby line… and all non disabled guests in the standby line can purchase Genie +… it might not be compatible with the ADA to tell the disabled DAS guest they were unable to purchase something all other guests can? Because Genie + is an “extra” and DAS isn’t considered an extra but a need? But I see where you’re going with that and it is an interesting thought.

Which lines aren't standard G+? Sorry if I wasn't clear but this was my question.

The rides that have standby lines but an Individual Lighting Lane available.

At World it's
  • Magic Kingdom: Seven Dwarf's Mine Train.
  • Animal Kingdom Park: Avatar Flight of Passage.
  • Hollywood Studios: Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance.
At Land it's
  • California Adventure: Radiator Springs Racers
  • Disneyland: Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance.
DAS can use their selection to wait for the standby lines, but Genie Plus does not include these rides and must be purchased separately.

TRON and Guardians are also ILL, but there is no standby, its VQ for everyone or ILL

The rides that have standby lines but an Individual Lighting Lane available.

At World it's
  • Magic Kingdom: Seven Dwarf's Mine Train.
  • Animal Kingdom Park: Avatar Flight of Passage.
  • Hollywood Studios: Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance.
At Land it's
  • California Adventure: Radiator Springs Racers
  • Disneyland: Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance.
DAS can use their selection to wait for the standby lines, but Genie Plus does not include these rides and must be purchased separately.

TRON and Guardians are also ILL, but there is no standby, its VQ for everyone or ILL
So even those with the virtual lines still have LLs? That’s interesting since they don’t have standby lines

Most of ride break downs are now caused by people dropping stuff outside the ride vehicles, which on many attractions immediately shuts the ride down, especially on trackless rides.
I have heard the same thing.
AND most of the backups in Lightning Lane come after a shutdown. When a ride gets shut down for someone dropping something, it’s not like the CM can just run out and pick it up. It involves whatever the evacuation is, then restarting all the computerized systems.
After the shutdown ends, all the guests who would have been in the line when it shut down come back to ride.

I genuinely believe that if DAS users were blocked from accessing rides while they wait their return time abuse would plummet.
From hyperusers, no doubt. especially those who probably shouldn't have DAS as the right accommodation.

I do not believe the majority of DAS holders do this regardless.

Even if Disney heads want to do this...how to implement such a block? Noone polices the standby line. How about eating which are also the resting places for many? Some have proposed blocking that too. Curious on the how with this pie in the sky proposal...can it be done?

Enforcement of abuse is a much lower hanging fruit imho

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter