• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I'm thinking just more information on their "return to queue" that was mentioned in the news - including their own ABC affiliates. That shouldn't be a secret. If they want people to use that instead of DAS then we have to understand it.
IMO it's the same thing, if that is the accommodation offered to folks then Disney will explain it 1 on 1. If they release details beforehand then ppl will just prepare a script of why that isn't useful to them an push for DAS.

They DO have some kind of record and have for a long time. They were always supposed to ask some questions and not just say, "Oh, I see you've had DAS before. Here you go." They were always supposed to ask some questions, but CMs in the parks didn't always ask much.
Our experience with DAS Advance video registration is that we've always been asked to explain the needs/concerns each time.
We've renewed via video twice, and I agree we had to explain the needs each time, but it was still evident in how the CM interacted that they could see something on their end. (We haven't renewed in the parks since pre covid)

At Dumbo I don't believe the 6-yr-old would be allowed to ride alone. The PP asked about Aladdin which has 2 rows of seats in the ride vehicle, so if 3 across doesn't fit they would put the older child or both kids in the front seat with the mom in the back seat. She is still riding with them within arms reach. I understand if that isn't her comfort level, but that makes it a choice. There are still a TON of attractions -- especially at MK -- that she can take them to do without a second adult; some of those are even good time-wasters (like the RailRoad, CoP, PeopleMover, Tiki Room, etc.). I would much rather my spouse keep the kids busy doing those attractions without me than an extended wait outside the restroom.

List of WDW attractions without height requirements (or with height noted)
List of WDW attractions length
And we do try our best, but there is still some rides this can't work. Hopefully they have a legitimate plan for disabled customers, because that's all we need, more stress (which anyone who has it knows, stress only enhances our symptoms more).

Last edited:
To me that just means that if you (general you) call them and ask if you are still eligible in a trip further out than the 30 days then they won't be able to tell you. For example, if my trip was in June 30th, then they wouldn't be able to tell me if I'm still eligible or not.

But again, it's gonna be easier to just call them when the window comes for each person.
Can't speak for anyone else, but I have better things to do than to call Disney, be put on ignore, and then hopefully get connected without having to wait for hours only to be told to call back in a month.
Very easy for them to post what we should do on their website - fingers crossed.

We've renewed via video twice, and I agree we had to explain the needs each time, but it was still evident in how the CM interacted that they could see something on their end. (We haven't renewed in the parks since pre covid)
Agree.
It was evident to us also that they could see some things. Usually before sending the secure video link, the CM would send something in the text chat saying they needed a few minutes to 'familiarize myself with your file'.
A few times, the CM said they didn't need to take a photo since the last one was still there

Can't speak for anyone else, but I have better things to do than to call Disney, be put on ignore, and then hopefully get connected without having to wait for hours only to be told to call back in a month.
Very easy for them to post what we should do on their website - fingers crossed.
I don't understand why they would ignore you and then tell you to call later. If you are within your 30 day window, that shouldn't be an issue.

I haven’t read every single post here so maybe it’s been posted already but I am wondering about the period before the new rules go into effect. My DS and I will be in the parks 5/13-5/21. I have had a DAS in the past (it expired in 2/2024) but it seems likely my accommodation request will not qualify in the future. I hadn’t planned to do the video chat, but request it once on property. I know there’s an element of tbd - the reason for accommodations might be a little broader than their original announcement, hopefully - but I am unsure I should even bother trying…will they be tightening up the rules in the run up to 5/20 (I realize this is unknown right now)? Besides, all this vitriol in SM accusing people of faking makes me so self-conscious of being an adult with an invisible disability!

I certainly wouldn’t have renewed my AP in March if I had a clue this was coming. I would have happily provided documentation, so this seems like worst case scenario for me.

And we do try our best, but there is still some rides this can't work.
Yep, absolutely, not disagreeing. But to circle this back, your original comment was that you would need to be allowed to have 5 guests so another adult could help your wife take the kids on rides. But CMs know the reality is there are lots of attractions a single parent can do with young children, so the extra person is more of a want than a necessity to do at least most parks. DHS will absolutely the hardest for that situation.

I'm not trying to be rude. I'm pointing out that I think these kinds of questions -- deeper probes -- may be how CMs are trained to do the video chats. It will help them determine what accommodations an individual truly needs to access the parks vs what just makes it easier.

Yep, absolutely, not disagreeing. But to circle this back, your original comment was that you would need to be allowed to have 5 guests so another adult could help your wife take the kids on rides. But CMs know the reality is there are lots of attractions a single parent can do with young children, so the extra person is more of a want than a necessity to do at least most parks. DHS will absolutely the hardest for that situation.

I'm not trying to be rude. I'm pointing out that I think these kinds of questions -- deeper probes -- may be how CMs are trained to do the video chats. It will help them determine what accommodations an individual truly needs to access the parks vs what just makes it easier.
But as previous statements in the threads where Disney can't tell you how many rides you should go on (or similar concepts), they shouldn't be forcing someone like myself to tell me not to enjoy certain rides like (SDMT) and focus on rides that my wife could handle on her with my two kids under 7. Anyways, I guess we will all soon start finding out the big mystery starting tomorrow and on, my big moment will be mid-July lol, fingers crossed for all who needed DAS in the past and are going to go through the new process starting this weekend. I'll check in on the thread on Monday

And we do try our best, but there is still some rides this can't work. Hopefully they have a legitimate plan for IBD customers, because that's all we need, more stress (which anyone who has it knows, stress only enhances our symptoms more).

If it can't work and it will ruin your trip, you may consider delaying your trip til you trust your oldest to ride by herself in front of mom and your younger child.

I haven’t read every single post here so maybe it’s been posted already but I am wondering about the period before the new rules go into effect. My DS and I will be in the parks 5/13-5/21. I have had a DAS in the past (it expired in 2/2024) but it seems likely my accommodation request will not qualify in the future. I hadn’t planned to do the video chat, but request it once on property. I know there’s an element of tbd - the reason for accommodations might be a little broader than their original announcement, hopefully - but I am unsure I should even bother trying…will they be tightening up the rules in the run up to 5/20 (I realize this is unknown right now)? Besides, all this vitriol in SM accusing people of faking makes me so self-conscious of being an adult with an invisible disability!

I certainly wouldn’t have renewed my AP in March if I had a clue this was coming. I would have happily provided documentation, so this seems like worst case scenario for me.
The updated information should be on the WDW website tomorrow morning and on the Disneyland website on May 18 (30 days before the Disneyland 'go live' date).
We should have more information about the application/video registration process soon, but may not know exactly how about how it works inside the park until after May 20.

I wish we could have a tip jar for the mods. No one thought a week ago, 172 pages and after tomorrow's new info, there will probably be another 50 pages.

Thank you many times for your work. May you get tons of pixie dust on each and every trip you take.

I've been a mod on other forums in the past; my first turn as a mod was in 1997 (I'm old. They dust me off a couple of times a year, and take me out of the museum, and let me warm my bones in the sun at Disney World LOL)

The reason most folks take on the task of being a mod is because we are passionate about the topic at hand. Most of the time, it is someone who is personally knee-deep into the topic, and not going anywhere else, anytime soon. If you become a mod, you do it knowing you are not going to get paid, that there will be trolls, tempers and terrible days when you can't bear to look at how many new posts there are... you just have to jump in and start reading. But you are also there for those times when you really help someone. For the moments when you can guide someone to the information they need, or for when you can help them untangle a particularly thorny problem. You do it because you know that there are always new folks seeking the very information that you have to share - most often earned and learned through personal experience - and you can hopefully help them avoid any pitfalls you had, as well as have an easier time overall because you walked through before them.

It's not an easy job, it's not a glamorous job, and it's not one that folks do because it's so much fun. I can't speak directly for our mods here, but I'm willing to bet it's their passion and their desire to help others that drives them to get up and log on every day.

We are uniquely fortunate here, because our mods are not just subject-level experts, they are professionals, with real-world, real-life hands-on, daily experience. They (and their families) live this, every day, like all of us do. If you respect nothing else here, respect that. They know of what they speak.

So, the next time one of our mods asks us to refrain from speculation, or to not engage in a game of "my problem is worse than your problem" we don't need a tip jar as much as... simply doing what they have asked us to do will go a *long* way towards putting a smile on their faces.

And saying "Thank you" once in a while doesn't hurt, either.

Thank you, Sue. Thank you Judy. And thank you to your families; they share you with us, and never hear how much we appreciate them as well.

But as previous statements in the threads where Disney can't tell you how many rides you should go on (or similar concepts), they shouldn't be forcing someone like myself to tell me not to enjoy certain rides like (SDMT) and focus on rides that my wife could handle on her with my two kids under 7. Anyways, I guess we will all soon start finding out the big mystery starting tomorrow and on, my big moment will be mid-July lol, fingers crossed for all who needed DAS in the past and are going to go through the new process starting this weekend. I'll check in on the thread on Monday
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you would be restricted from any attraction. No more so than any other family with young children. I expect whatever accommodation is granted will allow you to do whatever rides you choose. Whether you have DAS or some other accommodation, the family can continue to enjoy several attractions without additional assistance if they'd like to do that.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you would be restricted from any attraction. No more so than any other family with young children. I expect whatever accommodation is granted will allow you to do whatever rides you choose. Whether you have DAS or some other accommodation, the family can continue to enjoy several attractions without additional assistance if they'd like to do that.
Also, if they are the DAS holder, I don’t understand why preferring more adults in the party is relevant because they wouldn’t be able to use the system without the DAS holder anyway.

Quick update from the parks that isn’t much of an update…

I renewed my DAS at a blue umbrella in person today. Same as it ever was: CM pulled up whatever they have on file for me, asked me to briefly explain why I need it, I gave my usual explanation, and it was done. He DID ask me “have you seen the changes coming soon?” I kind of chuckled and said that yes, I’d seen that changes were coming, but that not very much info has been put out and people are pretty confused. He kind of nodded in agreement and said “the main thing for you to know is that you’ll need to do the online registration next time you renew.” No mention of anything else, and I didn't ask: it was HOT today and I just wanted to get into some AC!

The only other thing that was a little different was that he didn’t take my picture… but I honestly can’t recall if they’ve done that every time I’ve renewed in the past or not. I visit often so maybe he felt the most recent pic they snapped was fine.

He didn’t mention when mine will expire, but I’m assuming 30 days since I’m an AP.

Quick update from the parks that isn’t much of an update…

I renewed my DAS at a blue umbrella in person today. Same as it ever was: CM pulled up whatever they have on file for me, asked me to briefly explain why I need it, I gave my usual explanation, and it was done. He DID ask me “have you seen the changes coming soon?” I kind of chuckled and said that yes, I’d seen that changes were coming, but that not very much info has been put out and people are pretty confused. He kind of nodded in agreement and said “the main thing for you to know is that you’ll need to do the online registration next time you renew.” No mention of anything else, and I didn't ask: it was HOT today and I just wanted to get into some AC!

The only other thing that was a little different was that he didn’t take my picture… but I honestly can’t recall if they’ve done that every time I’ve renewed in the past or not. I visit often so maybe he felt the most recent pic they snapped was fine.

He didn’t mention when mine will expire, but I’m assuming 30 days since I’m an AP.
they are now doing only 30 days until the new one comes out. It will then be 120 days

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter