DAS Equivalent at Universal??

camper06

Mouseketeer
We have not been to Universal Orlando in over 20 years. We are thinking of going for a day or two in October while we are there.

Is there an equivalent to the DAS at universal - something similar? If so, how does it work?

I looked for a sticky but only saw it for WDW and Disneyland. If there is information already posted, could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

They have one but it's really hard to get. I have 2 special needs kids, between the two of them they have Heart disease, lung disease, gastrointestinal disease, seizures, impaired immune system, cerebral palsy, and on the autism spectrum. I think I did a good job explaining their needs, not just diagnosis. And we didn't qualify. Their solution for us was these special waiting rooms they have for special needs families, filled with upset and screaming children. The length of the wait confined in the room with all the stimulation of the other upset children was worse than if we had just waited in the regular line

They have one but it's really hard to get. I have 2 special needs kids, between the two of them they have Heart disease, lung disease, gastrointestinal disease, seizures, impaired immune system, cerebral palsy, and on the autism spectrum. I think I did a good job explaining their needs, not just diagnosis. And we didn't qualify. Their solution for us was these special waiting rooms they have for special needs families, filled with upset and screaming children. The length of the wait confined in the room with all the stimulation of the other upset children was worse than if we had just waited in the regular line

Interesting. Hard to believe your children wouldn't qualify for it. And their solution seems ridiculous for some that are on the spectrum.

I couldn't find anything about it on their website. Do you know what it is called? Maybe they want to keep it secret?

I wasn't sure we would need anything, but thought I'd ask here to see if it was a possibility. It's supposed to be low crowd days when we are there, and we wont be doing any of the roller coaster/big rides.

Still haven't decided whether to go or just stick with Disney. Thanks so much for the reply!

I had a similar question. All I've heard are horror stories of not getting it, especially during the fall with Halloween Horror. People have reported that even when they got it in the past that it was refused during the Halloween season. My son is too small for most of the big thrill rides any way. The only one where it would be helpful is the famously long Minion ride, so we may just skip that. I don't think we're even going to attempt it.

I think the difference is Universal has the Express Pass that they charge a small fortune for. I guess they figure if you really think lines will be an issue that you'll shell out the money for the Express pass.

I had a similar question. All I've heard are horror stories of not getting it, especially during the fall with Halloween Horror. People have reported that even when they got it in the past that it was refused during the Halloween season. My son is too small for most of the big thrill rides any way. The only one where it would be helpful is the famously long Minion ride, so we may just skip that. I don't think we're even going to attempt it.

I think the difference is Universal has the Express Pass that they charge a small fortune for. I guess they figure if you really think lines will be an issue that you'll shell out the money for the Express pass.

if you are staying on site and can take advantage of the early entry( for Harry Potter, officially) you can ride Minions with zero wait If it is staffed. in fact when we were there last year ( just before Hurricane Matthew came to visit in October ) they had it up and running so we actually rode that first. the crew were standing out there encouraging everyone to ride.

Probably not what you want to hear and not specific to disability issues. It's just the way it is. We find this works much better than arguing with guest relations. It also helps if you have a "repeat" rider.

I never do Universal without staying onsite. With their assistance issues, it just isn't worth even bothering with --IMHO. Most Universal hotels (premium) give all resort guests unlimited express pass access. The express pass access is good for the day you check-in and the day you check-out. So a one night stay gets you two days of express pass. You can check-in as early as you want (your room might not be ready) and after checking out you still get the remainder of the day. We usually check in about an hour before park opening hit a park, go back to hotel when room is ready and either chill or go back to a park.

Universal also sells express passes. There are two categories: one is limited to one time for each ride and the other is unlimited. We find it cheaper to get the hotel room (plus we have somewhere to rest during the day).

Of course, if cost is a factor this may not work for you. We usually avoid the back and forth by putting the night at Universal sat the very beginning or end of our trip. If you do want to plop Universal into the middle of your trip, we just stay in our regular room and pack an overnight bag for universal.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Not sure what we're doing yet. Guess we will decide when we get there!

I agree, it sounds like it's not worth the hassle to even try to get the access pass (not sure what it's called though). Since we haven't been in so long and the grandchildren have never been, if we do go we will just go with the flow and see what happens. Probably not worth purchasing the express passes this time since we will not be doing any of the big thrill rides.

Does anyone know if many/most of the lines are the back and forth kind where people are on both sides of you as you go through the maze to work your way to the front? Those are the lines we need to avoid if it is crowded.

Thank you!

I don't know what kind of disability you are dealing with, but we visited Universal last January with my mobility challenged mother. She rented a scooter each day. She does not do the big thrill rides, but we were able to get fast access to Hogwarts Express and The Forbidden Journey. She had to scooter through the full lines for Spider-Man, the Simpsons, MIB, and Minions. And it was SUPER busy the whole time we were there.

I have one, it is from 2014. It is (was?) called an Attraction Assistance Pass. It reminds me of the paper DAS, on the back they write on your arrival time at the attraction, and your return time. I kept it, they said his personal information would be stored in computer for next time. But of course we need to re-apply. We finally get back to Universal next April, so we will see.

I had no problem getting it at all, but this was in 2014. My son has Down Syndrome, Autism, and other issues (which are generally what qualifies him at Disney, not usually the first 2). I had no idea it is getting harder to obtain.

My daughter has used the Express Guest Assistance Pass in 2015 and 2016. It was a little difficult to obtain, but once we clearly explained her needs, it was granted, and the information kept in the system.

So it has a new name now? that is funny, because when we got my son's AAP, they explained it was a new program, the way they were storing the requesting individual's information for subsequent trips.

I understand all the questions to get these passes, but I am glad my son does not understand what I am saying when I explain some of his daily challenges & issues to a stranger.

We were going to stay at Cabana Bay, because frankly I did not see any difficulty qualifying for this assistance, but if he no longer qualifies, we will book at Royal Pacific I guess.

I found this link very helpful recently - you may scroll down to the section titled "Universal's Attractions Assistance Pass (AAP)" and the GAP section is right beneath it:

https://touringplans.com/universal-orlando/special-needs

We are traveling to Give Kids the World in January, and so far I am unable to figure out if my son's adaptive stroller may be his wheelchair like they allow at WDW. If anyone knows that answer, I am highly interested! I will try to call guest services this week to find out.

Thanks!

I found this link very helpful recently - you may scroll down to the section titled "Universal's Attractions Assistance Pass (AAP)" and the GAP section is right beneath it:

We are traveling to Give Kids the World in January, and so far I am unable to figure out if my son's adaptive stroller may be his wheelchair like they allow at WDW. If anyone knows that answer, I am highly interested! I will try to call guest services this week to find out.

Thanks!

Thank you for the link! That's just the kind of info I was looking for when I started this thread!

Interesting. Hard to believe your children wouldn't qualify for it. And their solution seems ridiculous for some that are on the spectrum.

I couldn't find anything about it on their website. Do you know what it is called? Maybe they want to keep it secret?

I wasn't sure we would need anything, but thought I'd ask here to see if it was a possibility. It's supposed to be low crowd days when we are there, and we wont be doing any of the roller coaster/big rides.

Still haven't decided whether to go or just stick with Disney. Thanks so much for the reply!

It was really easy for me. They asked me a few questions about my son and his needs. The guest relations TM was super nice. This was in April of this year. If you have a problem, I would suggest asking for a supervisor.

Thanks!
Yes, they do allow the adaptive strollers to be used as wheelchairs

From what I understand they are really strict during the Horror Halloween season. I can understand - it's a big event for them and they want to control it. That said, we just got back today. Went on Friday with the Horror Night scheduled. Morning was d-e-a-d. We got there a little after opening and waited 10 minutes for Minions. 15 for each HP ride. Walked on to Rip it Rockit Roller coaster. Spoke to a staff member at Forbidden Journey about the seemingly light crowd and he said that on Horror nights, the mornings are almost always quiet, but ramp up significantly around 2-3 ish. We didn't even feel a need to try for the GAP, although we would have had things gotten out of hand.

So if you plan on going in the morning, it should be OK.

We are going in late April next year, I avoid Universal in the Fall. I am not really a fan of the Horror nights, and I do not even like seeing their displays during the day. Their park closes early for the parties, most nights, and they do not seem to keep IOA open later as an alternative.

If you are staying at one of the onsite hotels that offer the FOTL perk (HRH, PBH or RPR only), it trumps the guest assistance pass

U typically has shorter hours in the fall/winter than many of the WDW parks. IOA is open most nights till 7 pm, studios closes @ 5 pm for day guests unless you have a HHN tix & are staying & playing:banana:

if an offsite guest feels they require the pass, stop @ GS & explain your needs.

We are going in late April next year, I avoid Universal in the Fall. I am not really a fan of the Horror nights, and I do not even like seeing their displays during the day. Their park closes early for the parties, most nights, and they do not seem to keep IOA open later as an alternative.
Be aware that Grad Bash is often mid-late April. Both parks close early those nights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter