Das for my son question

Smbmoyers

To Disney, and Beyond!!!
hi all! I know you guys are the authority on things. I’m not asking whether my son will qualify for das because of the complications that his autism and adhd diagnosis bring and the issues it presents I’m 99.9% positive he will. I know it’s on my case by case basis.

My son is five and I have tried to shield him from thinking he’s different in any way in this stage of the game. This includes discussing his diagnosis or limitations in front of him. I know a day will come where this becomes necessary but for right now this battle is not one I want him to be exposed to. Can I apply for a das and talk to a cm without him present? Could his father and the rest of our party come with us to the front but then I ask to have my child removed out of earshot as I explain and discuss his needs that pertain to das? Does he have to have a picture taken or can they take a picture of a picture on my cell phone?

Thanks for any answers or input you have and thank you for being here to answer my questions!

Your son and the rest of your party can wait off to the side while you speak with the CM. I don't think they'll take a picture of a picture on your cell, but maybe you could tell him Mickey wants his picture? Other than the picture, he doesn't have to know anything else about the process.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you! This is great that they have this option for kids like my son that don’t mind waiting but don’t do well waiting in one spot! I’ll definitely use the Mickey wants your picture line!

hi all! I know you guys are the authority on things. I’m not asking whether my son will qualify for das because of the complications that his autism and adhd diagnosis bring and the issues it presents I’m 99.9% positive he will. I know it’s on my case by case basis.

My son is five and I have tried to shield him from thinking he’s different in any way in this stage of the game. This includes discussing his diagnosis or limitations in front of him. I know a day will come where this becomes necessary but for right now this battle is not one I want him to be exposed to. Can I apply for a das and talk to a cm without him present? Could his father and the rest of our party come with us to the front but then I ask to have my child removed out of earshot as I explain and discuss his needs that pertain to das? Does he have to have a picture taken or can they take a picture of a picture on my cell phone?

Thanks for any answers or input you have and thank you for being here to answer my questions!
along the Mickey idea for picture does your son know another park that has season passes? reason Mickey needs his picture is his pass to show who he is. another idea for the talk about why have it written on a card. you write not dr as dr note will not be looked at. you will need whole group in room and I would have them stand to side while you talk with CM and have them join you when it is time to take picture and link the bands. one last thing to remember when inline for rides using his pass he will be the leader and has to be first. I also have never heard about them using a picture you have on your phone

How are you going to explain when you go to get a return time? I know you stated that you were not ready for the talk about his issues, but I bet he is smart, and is starting to notice the shielding you are doing. By not telling him, you are showing him that it is something to hide, KWIM? He might think it is something to be ashamed about. :( So, be prepared for having the talk, and I hope you have a great trip!

How are you going to explain when you go to get a return time? I know you stated that you were not ready for the talk about his issues, but I bet he is smart, and is starting to notice the shielding you are doing. By not telling him, you are showing him that it is something to hide, KWIM? He might think it is something to be ashamed about. :( So, be prepared for having the talk, and I hope you have a great trip!

I am definitely ready to have that talk when he is on a level to comprehend it. Right now he struggles with “being different” and we have told him time and time again that “everyone is different” and we answer any questions he has. He also embarrasses easy when we discuss his behavior in front of him after we have already discussed it with him if that makes sense. I just don’t want him to go into vacation hearing his mom telling strangers that he self harms or harms others when he is forced to wait in lines or that he melts down and will literally go boneless on a sidewalk and refuse to move. It’s always a challenge to balance what he needs to know about why he is the way he is with what he will understand. I only wants for best for him and with his anxiety I just feel like speaking to a cast member regarding his issues in front of him could cause a behavioral flare.

I am definitely ready to have that talk when he is on a level to comprehend it. Right now he struggles with “being different” and we have told him time and time again that “everyone is different” and we answer any questions he has. He also embarrasses easy when we discuss his behavior in front of him after we have already discussed it with him if that makes sense. I just don’t want him to go into vacation hearing his mom telling strangers that he self harms or harms others when he is forced to wait in lines or that he melts down and will literally go boneless on a sidewalk and refuse to move. It’s always a challenge to balance what he needs to know about why he is the way he is with what he will understand. I only wants for best for him and with his anxiety I just feel like speaking to a cast member regarding his issues in front of him could cause a behavioral flare.

Thank you for the response, you sound like a great, in-tune parent! I bet he does sense something is up when you go to Guest Services - perhaps pick up something else there as well as get the DAS started? Like a map, or a pin, etc.

I know that this is not a strategy request for using the das pass. I have a son with autism and adhd, and one with Tourette’s. What I have found works well is to book and go to the fast passes, and if he likes the ride, ask for a das return time. I have also planned meals after we go on rides I know he will want again. Only one of your party (anyone) has to ask for a das return time. You don’t have to do it in front of him. He might need to scan in first when you return though. My boys, 18, and 13 now, only last 2-4 hours in the parks, so I am very grateful for it.

For example, we have FP for space mountain (sometimes my 13 ds may ride, most times he uses the massage chair while my other one rides).
We will plan to fp on seven dwarves, and he always asks to do it again. We get a return time, then eat lunch, go back to seven dwarves, I cannot convince him to backtrack, he refuses.

I plan for our next FastPass 1-2 hours after seven dwarves so we have time for lunch, and another go at seven dwarves.

After my Touretter had meltdowns like you described for your son on our first two vacations, I said “I know going here can be stressful. I dont want to embarrass you, so when you are stressed, what can we do?”
He decided he would like to be alone.
I told him that wasn’t possible. So we agreed he could wait somewhere I could see him, but be ‘alone’ (off to the side) till he pulled himself together when he felt stressed.
That year, I also (please don’t judge me:rolleyes1) downloaded a movie on his iPod which he watched parts of over and over and over again to help tune out some of the overwhelming crowds and noise.

Hope some of this helps!

We never specifically told our son that he was autistic until he was 12. Before then, he was not ready to understand what it meant. We started taking him to Disneyland when he was 6, just a few months after he was officially diagnosed and we always had him sit to the side or wait with DH while I spoke with the GS CM about his issues. Back then it was the GAC but we have also used the DAS since then. Back when he was younger, we used to refer to the GAC/DAS as his "special FP." He understood the concept of a FP so it was easy for him to grasp the idea of a slightly different kind of return time.

We did this for our foster son who has trauma issues. The CMs are very discreet and, if memory serves, will take a picture of your son and scan his magic band. I think that's how it was done. Anyway we got all this taken care of at city hall on main street and took maybe 5-10 minutes. They don't ask for proof of anything. You just tell them the issue in general terms and they approve it. Easy peasy.

Just chiming in to say that in April when we took our son (4yo at the time) after his dual diagnosis HFA and ADHD, it couldn't have been easier. We did ours in the late afternoon at the guest services outside Epcot. No one in line, which made it about as simple as it gets. My son stood off to the side with my husband -- within view but not necessarily ear shot. I just told the lady what accommodations would help him, she only called him over to take his picture and scan his magic band. She was very understanding when I dropped my voice a little when discussing his needs.

And let me just add that DAS was amazing. Really. We had been to WDW when he was two and DL when he was three (before dx, but very much already suspecting something). The trip when he was two was exhausting and it just felt like we were frustrated, disappointed or mad the whole time. My son is very sensory seeking and actually very social, but lacks impulse control, is a runner, etc. When he was two I used to say he didn't meltdown, he melted up. Overstimulation, loud noises, crowds, etc, led to what I compared to a tasmanian devil after 30 Mountain Dews. This last trip at age four, with the DAS, was absolutely magical. Some of it was, of course, him getting older (though on the flip side, more vocal in his opinions :rolleyes:). But A LOT of it was not having to put him in a situation where he's expected to do things he's just not capable of it -- waiting calmly, staying in one place, etc for long periods. He even was able to not wear his headphones on the really loud rides many times bc his exposure was reduced (his choice!). Was it perfect? Well no. He was four and acted like a jerk sometimes. But like your average four year old would, kwim?

I did feel weird asking for a wheelchair tag for our stroller so that we could utilize it in ride lines. I just knew that he might need to use it as a place to feel safe and reduce stimulation. But still, asking made me feel guilty somehow. But really, the CM didn't even blink. She just said, "of course!" We only ended up using it twice, but both of those times were incredibly beneficial (for us *and* for the people around us).

I honestly get a little teary thinking about how much better of a trip the DAS helped us have. I hope it is the same for you.

Just chiming in to say that in April when we took our son (4yo at the time) after his dual diagnosis HFA and ADHD, it couldn't have been easier. We did ours in the late afternoon at the guest services outside Epcot. No one in line, which made it about as simple as it gets. My son stood off to the side with my husband -- within view but not necessarily ear shot. I just told the lady what accommodations would help him, she only called him over to take his picture and scan his magic band. She was very understanding when I dropped my voice a little when discussing his needs.

And let me just add that DAS was amazing. Really. We had been to WDW when he was two and DL when he was three (before dx, but very much already suspecting something). The trip when he was two was exhausting and it just felt like we were frustrated, disappointed or mad the whole time. My son is very sensory seeking and actually very social, but lacks impulse control, is a runner, etc. When he was two I used to say he didn't meltdown, he melted up. Overstimulation, loud noises, crowds, etc, led to what I compared to a tasmanian devil after 30 Mountain Dews. This last trip at age four, with the DAS, was absolutely magical. Some of it was, of course, him getting older (though on the flip side, more vocal in his opinions :rolleyes:). But A LOT of it was not having to put him in a situation where he's expected to do things he's just not capable of it -- waiting calmly, staying in one place, etc for long periods. He even was able to not wear his headphones on the really loud rides many times bc his exposure was reduced (his choice!). Was it perfect? Well no. He was four and acted like a jerk sometimes. But like your average four year old would, kwim?

I did feel weird asking for a wheelchair tag for our stroller so that we could utilize it in ride lines. I just knew that he might need to use it as a place to feel safe and reduce stimulation. But still, asking made me feel guilty somehow. But really, the CM didn't even blink. She just said, "of course!" We only ended up using it twice, but both of those times were incredibly beneficial (for us *and* for the people around us).

I honestly get a little teary thinking about how much better of a trip the DAS helped us have. I hope it is the same for you.

This is my hope. I just want to remove frustration and have a great trip. I am completely ok with waiting, I just want to be able to safely do so! I’ll definitely ask about designating his stroller a wheelchair. I think that will be helpful for meals as well!

This is my hope. I just want to remove frustration and have a great trip. I am completely ok with waiting, I just want to be able to safely do so! I’ll definitely ask about designating his stroller a wheelchair. I think that will be helpful for meals as well!
just remember at meals stroller will have to be completely out of aisles when at table and includes beside table if another table is beside yours. which is not always easy. stroller as wheelchair tag helps a lot with rides but not as much with transportation or meals from what I have found. also there are some rides that only have so much room to park wheelchairs and strollers as so you will to wait when you get to ride load until space clears for you to park yours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!