DAS for PTSD

Rapunzeland

Mouseketeer
It helps make the wait in line shorter from what I can understand?
Im generally okay on rides as I'm by myself or with a mate but
Lines scare me you can be basically stuck ...trapped with stragers super close who could hurt you at anytime...people without SA retated ptsd may not understand this idk but its terrifying for me.
Could I get a DAS for this?

DAS is based on needs not diagnosis. So you would have to explain to Guest Relations what your needs are relating to why waiting in a standard queue environment doesn't work for you. I suggest you think about similar situations -- local amusement park, county fair, movie theater, local festival, etc. -- and consider the situations you've encountered and what was challenging about that situation. Then use that as the basis for your request to Guest Relations. Keep in mind that by waiting outside the queue, there is no designated waiting spot and you will still be in masses of people.

If you haven't seen it yet, here is a link to the WDW - Disability Access Service thread pinned near the top of this forum.

Enjoy your vacation!

DAS is based on needs not diagnosis. So you would have to explain to Guest Relations what your needs are relating to why waiting in a standard queue environment doesn't work for you. I suggest you think about similar situations -- local amusement park, county fair, movie theater, local festival, etc. -- and consider the situations you've encountered and what was challenging about that situation. Then use that as the basis for your request to Guest Relations. Keep in mind that by waiting outside the queue, there is no designated waiting spot and you will still be in masses of people.

If you haven't seen it yet, here is a link to the WDW - Disability Access Service thread pinned near the top of this forum.

Enjoy your vacation!
Thank you for replying and so quickly at that your comment really helped also, I did not realize I'd have to wait in line and not an area ...is something to think about.

Thank you :)

You don't have to wait "in line" but there is no designated waiting area. You may go do whatever you'd like -- restroom, eat, shop, ride, people-watch, back to your resort, etc. So if the park is crowded, you'll be in those crowds generally moving about the park.

And I should have mentioned, only the first post of that thread is important. You can skip the rest, which was discussion around the time the program was initiated a few years ago.

There is also a thread specific to the California parks DLR and DCA. The general concept of the DAS is the same at all US parks, but there are some differences between FL and CA simply due to logistics of the parks. Disability services at parks in other countries may be considerably different.

Enjoy your vacation!

And keep in mind even if you have a DAS, you will need to go through a line as you will be in the fastpass+ line to get on the attraction. How busy or crowded that line is will depend on a number of variables.

DAS makes the waiting in line shorter, but you will still wait in a line, likely for 10-20 minute, when you return via the FastPass line. It's not a front of the line pass. Just be prepared with whatever coping mechanisms you have for that period.

Even if you get a DAS there will be lines for food, for transportation, for meet and greets, security so finding a way to cope is the best thing.

Are you scared someone might hurt you? Would listing to music help you not think about the people around you.

In order to get a DAS you will need to stop in guest relations at any park and tell them why you can not wait in the standby line and why waiting out side the line would help you.

I understand your concern. I have complex PTSD and many other related disorders from a similiar kind of history. My husband and I went with my service dog in June for 2 weeks. I don't know what to tell you exactly, but it helped that i had my SD, that i was in a wheelchair (maybe you could rent one?? it helps to give you an extra bubble of space) and my husband was there making sure all my accommodations were effective! He was really helpful and made sure my needs were met, along with my SD and my wheelchair/backpack system all working right. I hope you have others going with you.

Take care!

By the way, I'm in a wheelchair for a separate medical condition (severe POTS) but that doesn't mean you couldn't rent one if it made you feel safer/more protected. Just something you would have to figure out. <3

I understand your concern. I have complex PTSD and many other related disorders from a similiar kind of history. My husband and I went with my service dog in June for 2 weeks. I don't know what to tell you exactly, but it helped that i had my SD, that i was in a wheelchair (maybe you could rent one?? it helps to give you an extra bubble of space) and my husband was there making sure all my accommodations were effective! He was really helpful and made sure my needs were met, along with my SD and my wheelchair/backpack system all working right. I hope you have others going with you.

Take care!
Thanks a bunch for your thoughtful comment. I've never been in a wheel chair before but more space could help!

From my experience with my son whose struggles sound similar to yours, I think a DAS would help you. Just explain that you need to avoid long waits in areas that are enclosed or do not have an easy exit point and you need accommodations for an alternate option while you wait. They will not provide that location for you, but it is often possible to find a quiet spot to wait even if being in open spaces with crowds is difficult. If it is more a problem of being trapped than just the crowds, you will be free to move around while you wait for your return time.

My son, now that he is a teenager, always has his phone for music and is never without earbuds around his neck. He uses music to block out overwhelming stimuli. We have spent quite a lot of time at WDW sitting off to the side somewhere or in a counter service location at off peak times, etc. Good luck. I hope your visit goes well for you. Congratulations on taking such a brave step.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!