Update on Pg 2: DAS for son?

PrincessV

DIS Veteran
My teen son was diagnosed as mildly autistic not long ago and has a hard time with crowds and lines. We've been going to WDW his whole life but never utilized the DAS program because I didn't think he needed it: we used FP/FP+, skipped attractions with long standby waits, and avoid getting stuck in crowded conditions. It all worked fine for a long time, when overall crowd levels were lower and wait times shorter. But it really fell apart on us last trip and my son had a major meltdown one night. It upset him enough that he's taken a break away from WDW.

We're going back soon, and I'm realizing I probably should have explored DAS sooner, instead of short-changing my son's enjoyment by skipping things he likes to do just to avoid a long wait in line. I've read up and feel like I understand how DAS works. I'm a little unsure on what we need to explain to GR about my son's needs, though. He struggles with the physical closeness of so many people in a line, and with the overall din of a lot of people in a confined space talking. He can handle it for the 15-20 minutes usually takes to get through a FP line, but more than that and he starts feeling overwhelmed. A "virtual" wait somewhere else would be a much healthier option. Is that sufficient information for GR, or do we need to get into the particulars of what "struggle" and "overwhelmed" mean? My son has a very hard time expressing how he feels with folks he's close to: to do so with a stranger may be stressful enough that he'd rather skip it altogether.

I also want to confirm I understand how the DAS works as an AP-holder - the DAS will be in effect for 60 days, yes? So if we get it on Day 1 of a 3-day trip, he can use it all 3 days without checking in at GR each day? And if our next visit is 40 days later, would he still be able to use that first DAS? I assume after 60 days pass, he'll need to request a renewal of the DAS, correct?

The DAS is good for 60 days for every one just let the CM know your concerns for the line is all you need to let them know

You don't need to explain ANY details of his situation when setting up DAS. CM's are not medically qualified to discuss a diagnosis, what they will do is ask the general nature of his need (i.e he has trouble being in closed spaces for long periods, can become agitated in long lines, that sort of thing). What they're doing is verifying that the need isn't mobility based (can't stand for long periods, can't walk long distances) because now just about all WDW ride lines are wheelchair accessible.

Thanks - I did before posting. Several times. I still needed a little clarification, though! :)

The DAS is good for 60 days for every one just let the CM know your concerns for the line is all you need to let them know
You don't need to explain ANY details of his situation when setting up DAS. CM's are not medically qualified to discuss a diagnosis, what they will do is ask the general nature of his need (i.e he has trouble being in closed spaces for long periods, can become agitated in long lines, that sort of thing). What they're doing is verifying that the need isn't mobility based (can't stand for long periods, can't walk long distances) because now just about all WDW ride lines are wheelchair accessible.
Thanks! That's what I was getting from the information Iv'e read, but wasn't entirely sure that how I'd opt to describe things will be sufficient. This is still new territory for us, and my son also needs to learn how to self-advocate and what words are best used to describe his needs, though I'm happy to handle the conversation myself initially.

You explain why its difficult to stand in a regular line and if they feel you qualify they will give it to you.

Thanks all. I'm still not sure what wording I'll use, as "standing in a ling line is upsetting" could be anybody who just doesn't want to wait in line, right?! And I know it's a thin line here, where we aren't supposed to be posting the exact verbiage used; I totally get that. Like I said, this is all still new to us, having spent most of his life without a diagnosis, and therefore no real assistance. There's a learning curve that comes with utilizing assistance when it's made available while also learning how to function in a world designed for neuro-typical folk. I'll talk with my son and we'll offer GR what we can and go from there. If it works and we find DAS is helpful for my son's needs, great! If not, we continue with how we've learned on our own to manage time in the parks.

Thanks all. I'm still not sure what wording I'll use, as "standing in a ling line is upsetting" could be anybody who just doesn't want to wait in line, right?! And I know it's a thin line here, where we aren't supposed to be posting the exact verbiage used; I totally get that. Like I said, this is all still new to us, having spent most of his life without a diagnosis, and therefore no real assistance. There's a learning curve that comes with utilizing assistance when it's made available while also learning how to function in a world designed for neuro-typical folk. I'll talk with my son and we'll offer GR what we can and go from there. If it works and we find DAS is helpful for my son's needs, great! If not, we continue with how we've learned on our own to manage time in the parks.

Well here's the thing - since you can only have ONE DAS entry active at a time, (like, someone couldn't claim DAS and line up return times at 5 different rides at a time) it does discourage abuse. The system was abused more when it allowed near-instant access to the rides - now you get a return time that is based on the current wait (minus 5-10 minutes), so you are still "waiting" but it's more of a virtual wait and your DAS-needing individual can spend that time somewhere that is less reaction-inducing. Sure there may be people who claim DAS that don't really need it, but it's not the instant-gratification pass that it used to be so it's less appealing to the abusers.

Sure there may be people who claim DAS that don't really need it, but it's not the instant-gratification pass that it used to be so it's less appealing to the abusers.
Yep, and that's part of why it was never on my radar: my son doesn't need instant access, and FP+ took care of a lot of issues for him. And without the official diagnosis, I was still in that gray area of being sure my child was on the spectrum, but not having it confirmed, so I never even thought of him as being a candidate for DAS or its predecessor. Odds are he won't use it much if they do approve a DAS, just because we don't typically spend much more time in a park than it takes to get through our 3 FPs, but it's nice to know it might be an option.

Diagnosis doesn’t matter, an official Dx isn’t required. Since he had difficulties on your (his) last visit - start there. Explain what was challenging and his reaction.

Your head is stuck on “new diagnosis” but he is the same person today as yesterday or last year with the “label” - and you know him well.

Enjoy your vacation!

We've been going to WDW his whole life but never utilized the DAS program because I didn't think he needed it: we used FP/FP+, skipped attractions with long standby waits, and avoid getting stuck in crowded conditions. It all worked fine for a long time, when overall crowd levels were lower and wait times shorter. But it really fell apart on us last trip and my son had a major meltdown one night. It upset him enough that he's taken a break away from WDW.

We're going back soon, and I'm realizing I probably should have explored DAS sooner, instead of short-changing my son's enjoyment by skipping things...
I am so with you on this. The fact that you have, for many years, modified the way you visit the parks to accommodate his needs is a good start for explaining why the DAS would help your family’s experience at Disney. The fact that he’s been wanting to avoid a repeat of his last visit would also support your request for the DAS. I think I would discreetly explain his needs to GR. I know you want him to advocate for himself, but in this situation, I’d be all for taking the lead and avoiding a stressful experience for him, especially since just walking in the gate is big -he’s putting aside his reservations to give it another try. Go for it and enjoy your trip. I hope you make some wonderful memories!

I think I would discreetly explain his needs to GR. I know you want him to advocate for himself, but in this situation, I’d be all for taking the lead and avoiding a stressful experience for him, especially since just walking in the gate is big -he’s putting aside his reservations to give it another try.
Since he’s a teen, I’d discuss it with him beforehand and see how he wants to handle it....
Does he want you to do the talking for him?
He talk himself with backup from you?
A bit of both?
Excellent thoughts and exactly where we went! My son and I discussed it last week and he's willing to give it a try, to see if a DAS would be helpful. He'd prefer that I handle it the first time, at least, because talking with strangers is so hard for him to start, let alone about such a personal and sensitive topic. We made a deal that I'll handle the DAS, but he has to order his own QS food - baby steps. :)

Excellent thoughts and exactly where we went! My son and I discussed it last week and he's willing to give it a try, to see if a DAS would be helpful. He'd prefer that I handle it the first time, at least, because talking with strangers is so hard for him to start, let alone about such a personal and sensitive topic. We made a deal that I'll handle the DAS, but he has to order his own QS food - baby steps. :)
Maybe after he see how to get a return time he can ask him for one I hop you have a great trip

he has to order his own QS food - baby steps. :)
Well, that right there is a typical teen - I can't get my DD (14) to order her own food without a fight, but my DS(7) wants to do it on his own every time!
Thanks so much for sharing your story. With DS, we've also modified our past vacations. He can tolerate the lines of the 3 FPs we book. Beyond that, I sit things out with him to avoid a disaster in the lines - meltdowns, bumping into others, running away -while DH and DD enjoy their visit. And forget about staying late for fireworks shows like we did with DD! Life is different. So, don't feel worried about asking for the DAS. We are going to ask on our next trip. If it gives us another 3 rides, we double the fun for DS and myself! We're waiting anyway. Giving noise-cancelling headphones or earbuds a try, too. Kudos to your son because he is advocating for himself by telling you his needs. He's taking an important step by talking things out with you.
I hope you have the best trip ever!

I really appreciate this post, I have to say.. I have thought about starting my own thread on the exact same topic, but have hesitated because I never want people to feel we are abusing the system. We are in the same boat as the OP (DD was just recently diagnosed with mild autism). She presents "very typical" and CAN get through a DL day waiting in lines (she won't throw herself on the ground, have a fit, or completely lose her mind), but her overall experience is VERY dampened by having to wait a lot and in her "black and white, all or nothing" autistic way of thinking an absolutely incredible day at WDW is tainted by having to wait in lines :( At the time I couldn't understand how she could be so grumpy about a 15 minute line when we were having the most incredible trip, but to her - it really ruined her experience :( Even if it wasn't a long line, or a long wait, just having to stay stationary with people around her really affected her day and impacted her overall enjoyment of WDW. We are very "play by the rules" type people and struggle with the idea of using the DAS when she isn't severe. The "mild" autism diagnosis is hard because (and I am not sure OP, what you were told when your DS was diagnosed) but we were told we would have to really advocate for our DD because people will not see her needs. Mildly autistic kids can so easily fly under the radar but it doesn't mean their needs are not real.

I really appreciate this post, I have to say.. I have thought about starting my own thread on the exact same topic, but have hesitated because I never want people to feel we are abusing the system. We are in the same boat as the OP (DD was just recently diagnosed with mild autism). She presents "very typical" and CAN get through a DL day waiting in lines (she won't throw herself on the ground, have a fit, or completely lose her mind), but her overall experience is VERY dampened by having to wait a lot and in her "black and white, all or nothing" autistic way of thinking an absolutely incredible day at WDW is tainted by having to wait in lines :( At the time I couldn't understand how she could be so grumpy about a 15 minute line when we were having the most incredible trip, but to her - it really ruined her experience :( Even if it wasn't a long line, or a long wait, just having to stay stationary with people around her really affected her day and impacted her overall enjoyment of WDW. We are very "play by the rules" type people and struggle with the idea of using the DAS when she isn't severe. The "mild" autism diagnosis is hard because (and I am not sure OP, what you were told when your DS was diagnosed) but we were told we would have to really advocate for our DD because people will not see her needs. Mildly autistic kids can so easily fly under the radar but it doesn't mean their needs are not real.
Do not feel bad about getting the DAS of you think it will help her out. You can set some rules for her like we only use the DAS if the wait is longer then ___. Or we have to see if the ride has a FP. since it sounds like she can wait in some lines and like to have rules this way she does. Hope for a good trip for you

Please read the first post in the WDW DAS thread, pinned. DAS is never immediate access. It is mostly waiting in a virtual line, but there can still be waits of 10-20 minutes when you return.

she could be so grumpy about a 15 minute line when we were having the most incredible trip, but to her - it really ruined her experience :( Even if it wasn't a long line, or a long wait, just having to stay stationary with people around her really affected her day and impacted her overall enjoyment of WDW.

DAS may not help if 15 minutes queues are a problem for her. Even using a DAS return time, just like FP+ there can be a wait. Please have realistic expectations and work with your DD on short-term management for waiting 15-20 minutes in the queue. Otherwise, the DAS is going to be a failure rather than a help.

Maybe a stroller-as-wheelchair could help her? It would provide a cocoon or buffer from the crowds of people in the queues. Allowing her to use fidgits or an electronic device to occupy her time might help as well.

Enjoy your vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter