DAS # of linked people questions?

eac578

Mouseketeer
Hello,
We are planning a Disney trip with our extended family and my older son has autism and anxiety, I am hoping to get a DAS pass for him as close crowds can really cause some meltdowns for him.

Our immediate family is 4 people (2 parents, 11 & 13 y/o) but also travelling with family (3 extra adults, 3 extra kids).

I see that the limit of accompanying people is 5 plus the DAS pass person, which is totally reasonable. My question is, is that per ride or the total # of people that could be linked? I obviously would put our family of 4 on the pass but there may be times when we'r shift the groups around - for instance my son with autism will not ride Tower of terror or Rocking Roller coaster at all. I could see after spending some time with our family of 4 using his DAS that we may want to switch groups up and send his sibling & dad off with the older cousins while my ASD kiddo and I ride toy story mania with his 5 year old cousin.

Basically I am wondering if we can link 9 extra people total but only ever use the DAS for 5 extra people or less on an attraction, just be able to change up our grouping through the day based on individual interests and who might want to do the rides he likes (it has been 4 years since our last trip and we did not know about this pass then)

It will be completely dependent on the cm issuing your das. They can add more people at their discretion. Some will, some wont. No way to know until you get there.

Thanks!

I had hoped they could link more but restrict total # of people (even if they could say "any 3 of these 9 people can ride with him" it would work well for us).

If the linking extra people is not possible, is it possible to drop/add people at the customer service? For instance if one park day is our immediate family and the next we'r anticipate more my son with DAS with younger cousin, could we swap the people out for a full day?

You can ask, but know that there will be lines at Guest Relations, which will definitely eat up park time. Especially in the mornings!

6 total is the usual number; anything over that is an exception.
As others pointed out, it’s variable whether a CM will do more. Be ready to explain why you need more than the usual.

Even if you are able to get a larger number, be prepared that CMs at individual attractions may only be able to put 6 on some DAS Return Times.
You can change the people who are actually linked to the DAS. We have done that on trips where some family members were with us for part of the trip, then they left and another group arrived. The process of linking ‘new’ people is the same as linking initially - their park tickets or Magicbands will be read, then linked to the DAS.
It’s not something I would keep switching back and forth; there is too much chance of mixup. On our last trip, we had some problems with a person we changed. Even though he showed up in Guest Relations, it took several trips back and forth to Guest Relations before he showed up for CMs at the attraction to add to a Return Time.

Sounds good, thanks so much!
We'll just wait and see - no harm in asking but not to expect it. Makes sense that swapping people out back and forth would be time consuming, probably not worth it.

I guess we can definitely add the youngest cousin who will be too small for the thrill rides ODS won't want to do in our standard 5 people, I can always just take those two while the others do the big rides.

Sounds good, thanks so much!
We'll just wait and see - no harm in asking but not to expect it. Makes sense that swapping people out back and forth would be time consuming, probably not worth it.

I guess we can definitely add the youngest cousin who will be too small for the thrill rides ODS won't want to do in our standard 5 people, I can always just take those two while the others do the big rides.
Even if GR add everyone to the DAS be ready for only 5 to ride with your son at a time on rides. This might help them add everyone to the DAS if you say something like I understand only 5 can ride with my son we would just like to trade out who rides.

Yes, honestly I would not feel ok about heading onto a ride with 10 people using the DAS, I feel a bit guilty about using it to begin with (my DS has mild/moderate autism, is very bright and that makes me feel like we "shouldn't need" special accommodations but the reality is that if we didn't use it I'd be very shocked if he could last more than 2-3 rides or maybe 2 hours in the parks) I am hoping that this pass will allow us to have more family time in the parks vs one parent back at the resort with ODS and the other doing parks with YDS which is what happened last trip.

We had a total of nine on my DS DAS in September and were able to have all all nine go on all the rides. Good luck

Another consideration might be to swap out Magic Bands temporarily, if a few people on the DAS don't want to ride, and some people not on it do want to ride. Easier to swap back if everyone has different customized MBs, but if not, you could write names on the inside of the bands?

Oh, that's an idea!! Is that allowed by Disney? What about using fastpasses? ie my little nephew has a FP for space mountain but is too small or too scared, can YDS swap band with him and use his fastpass while the younger cousin uses my YDS's band to come with us on Buzz using DAS?

Another consideration might be to swap out Magic Bands temporarily, if a few people on the DAS don't want to ride, and some people not on it do want to ride. Easier to swap back if everyone has different customized MBs, but if not, you could write names on the inside of the bands?

I think Disney will print names/initials on the MBs too!

Oh, that's an idea!! Is that allowed by Disney? What about using fastpasses? ie my little nephew has a FP for space mountain but is too small or too scared, can YDS swap band with him and use his fastpass while the younger cousin uses my YDS's band to come with us on Buzz using DAS?
Not sure that will work, when a DAS is issued, a photo of the person is taken. The DAS is only for the person who truly needs it. If your nephew doesn't need a DAS why would you allow him to use it!!!

If your son can wait in the line, as described above, why get a DAS?

Yes al long as the person you are using the MB card is in the park at the time if not then you can get in trouble ( but if they are in the park it is fine) I do this all the time with my friend some times she can do space some times she can not and space is my favorite ride the CM has never said a word when we trade MB we do it infant of them some times just as long as the other person has scanned into the park and are there it is fine

Not sure that will work, when a DAS is issued, a photo of the person is taken. The DAS is only for the person who truly needs it. If your nephew doesn't need a DAS why would you allow him to use it!!!

The OP has 2 sons - the older one uses the DAS but the younger does not. The younger son could certainly use his cousin’s MB and FP for a “bigger” ride while the cousin takes the younger son’s place to ride something else with the OP and her older son (who is the DAS-holder).

Enjoy your vacation!

Yes, as the other poster said, 2 different kids. My son with autism will do some rides with our immediate family but there are many rides his brother will want to go on that he won't. I'd like to be able to swap out with our extended family who is staying with/riding with with my son with DAS so that his brother (and myself and my husband) can ride roller coasters/thrill rides he won't do.

We would absolutely not be using the DAS for a kid who didn't need it, just trading out who were the "companion people" to also allow a good experience for the other kids.

For instance last trip he rode star tours about 5-6 times but refused to do anything else in HS. Maybe we ride it a couple times then trade out and take YDS to another ride while my DH or mother in law or other family stay with my son and ride star tours.

It's been years so I am not sure yet what rides he will be up for trying but trying to plan ahead on logistics.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter