DAS opinions please!

Taylormade0503

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone! I was wondering if I could get opinions on something. I will be traveling to Disney this coming May with my wife and 2 and a half year old daughter. I have IBS, and I have recently been diagnosed with gallstones. The gallstones are not bad enough to warrant surgery (as of right now), however I can get severe stomach pains that can last between 15 minutes and 1 hour. As for the IBS, its all the standard issues that come with it. My wife's friend, who is actually a travel agent for a small company, has told me that these issues would 100% qualify me for the DAS system. Using the DAS system would help me out a lot when it comes to these issues, BUT I am hesitant to use it. I have known some people who have used the DAS system before, and they have had children with things like Autism, sensory integration disorder, and Down Syndrome. Would it be "unethical" of me to use DAS??? My wife's friend seems not to think so. She says "if you qualify for it, it's completely ethical to take advantage of it." What are everyone's opinions??? Thank you all!

Hello everyone! I was wondering if I could get opinions on something. I will be traveling to Disney this coming May with my wife and 2 and a half year old daughter. I have IBS, and I have recently been diagnosed with gallstones. The gallstones are not bad enough to warrant surgery (as of right now), however I can get severe stomach pains that can last between 15 minutes and 1 hour. As for the IBS, its all the standard issues that come with it. My wife's friend, who is actually a travel agent for a small company, has told me that these issues would 100% qualify me for the DAS system. Using the DAS system would help me out a lot when it comes to these issues, BUT I am hesitant to use it. I have known some people who have used the DAS system before, and they have had children with things like Autism, sensory integration disorder, and Down Syndrome. Would it be "unethical" of me to use DAS??? My wife's friend seems not to think so. She says "if you qualify for it, it's completely ethical to take advantage of it." What are everyone's opinions??? Thank you all!

Your wife's friend cannot be certain that you will qualify for a DAS, only the CM you talk to can do that.

The DAS is given out based on needs, not diagnosis and there have been many reports in the disAbilities section of issues such as IBS not being grounds for being approved for a DAS.

Side note: as someone who has dealt with gallbladder issues I completely sympathize with you! When I had my final attack that lead to me having my gallbladder removed, I told DH that the pain was as bad or worse than when I delivered our son!

You condition is exactly what the DAS system was created for. It is for people who can't wait for extended periods of time in a traditional line.

"DAS is intended for Guests who have difficulty tolerating extended waits in a conventional queue environment due to a disability."

DAS is not just for cognitive disabilities/reasons. I have it for a non-cognitive invisible disability. I don't necessarily agree with the sentiment of getting it just because you qualify for it if you don't feel you would actually need it. However, it sounds like you would have issues waiting confined in a queue and that is why you would need it.

It will depend on the CM you talk to. I will tell you, thanks to social media, this has been one of the reasons used to try to cheat the system, so Disney is being a little more strict about when they give out DAS for it. You may be given it or you may be told you don't need it because you can leave the line for the restroom and then rejoin your party. Not saying how I think Disney should handle it, but you need to be prepared for either response.

You can always try out the parks without the DAS and see how it is. If you find the DAS would be helpful, you can go to guest services and request it during your trip but as others mentioned, there isn't a guarantee you will get the DAS.

If you aren't approved, there are a few strategies you can use. Most of the rides your 2 yr old can ride with you won't have long lines. If there are rides that your 2 yr old can't go on and you plan to use child swap, you can have your wife wait first in line while you wait elsewhere with your daughter. When your wife is done riding, you can enter the same queue that DAS holders use.

It will depend on the CM you talk to. I will tell you, thanks to social media, this has been one of the reasons used to try to cheat the system, so Disney is being a little more strict about when they give out DAS for it. You may be given it or you may be told you don't need it because you can leave the line for the restroom and then rejoin your party. Not saying how I think Disney should handle it, but you need to be prepared for either response.
So this is what I have heard from a few places! I think the info I got was that the number of people using DAS has increased dramatically since the implementation of Genie +. Thanks!

Last edited:
So this is what I have heard from a few places! I think the info I got was that the number of people using DAS has increased dramatically since the implementation of Genie +. Thanks!
It seems to be more of an issue getting DAS at Disneyland than WDW. Most of the reports of denial were from there. Obviously YMMV.

Nobody here can tell you whether or not you will be approved, but if you ARE approved you should have no qualms about using it. They won't give it to you if they don't think you need it.

AS other have said not one can tell you that you would or would not get a DAS. The DAS is not based on DX but needs be prepared to answer a question similar to what difficulty do you have waiting in lines. if you answer honestly to there question and they give the DAS then by all means use it the DAS was meant for you, if you lie about why you need it ( not saying you will) then more then likely the DAS was not meant for you

I have IBD, Crohns Disease, not IBS. I do qualify for DAS becaisse in addition to the real possibility of needing to leave the queue "a minute ago" I also have COPD and require a mobility scooter. That combo would be a disaster waiting to happen while in line. My husband is also approved as he has an LVAD (left ventricular assist device) and does not have the stamina to stand for a long period of time. Usually seeing a large cable coming out of the side of his torso is a quick yes. BTW...it is NOT a way to simplify your visit. You will generally wait the length of time you would wait for standby. I did NOT use any of the disability programs until I added the scooter, mostly because my getting out of the line with a scooter might result in someone being injured.

Does anyone have any experience doing Disney with seton or post fistulotomy? I've been through it the last two months and my colorectal surgeon suspects Crohns. I have an exam under sedation on April 9th and we check in June 12th for a what's supposed to be our honeymoon/39th birthday trip. Whoop 🙃

I have IBD, Crohns Disease, not IBS. I do qualify for DAS becaisse in addition to the real possibility of needing to leave the queue "a minute ago" I also have COPD and require a mobility scooter. That combo would be a disaster waiting to happen while in line. My husband is also approved as he has an LVAD (left ventricular assist device) and does not have the stamina to stand for a long period of time. Usually seeing a large cable coming out of the side of his torso is a quick yes. BTW...it is NOT a way to simplify your visit. You will generally wait the length of time you would wait for standby. I did NOT use any of the disability programs until I added the scooter, mostly because my getting out of the line with a scooter might result in someone being injured.
I don't understand how DAS helps your husband with stamina - he still has to walk the whole LL queue, and he has to walk to find a seat somewhere (if there are any). I would think a mobility device would help him out a lot more than DAS would.

I don't understand how DAS helps your husband with stamina - he still has to walk the whole LL queue, and he has to walk to find a seat somewhere (if there are any). I would think a mobility device would help him out a lot more than DAS would.
Sorry, I missed this. Several reasons that DAS applies. First, he does sometimes use an ECV, depending on how he is any given day; Second, he literally has a drive line...like a metal cable coming out through an opening in the side of his body. We have to be very careful of germs and bacteria, Much Purel. Last, the cable does loop outside of his body on the way to the waist pack that contains the controller. If something happens to that in a crowded line he could be DOA. And if if gets pulled there is a real chance of infection which kills as many of the LVAD Patients as anything else. I'm thankful for the almost 5 years I've had him, and want to continue while at the same time allowing him/us to enjoy something more than health/doctors.

Sorry, I missed this. Several reasons that DAS applies. First, he does sometimes use an ECV, depending on how he is any given day; Second, he literally has a drive line...like a metal cable coming out through an opening in the side of his body. We have to be very careful of germs and bacteria, Much Purel. Last, the cable does loop outside of his body on the way to the waist pack that contains the controller. If something happens to that in a crowded line he could be DOA. And if if gets pulled there is a real chance of infection which kills as many of the LVAD Patients as anything else. I'm thankful for the almost 5 years I've had him, and want to continue while at the same time allowing him/us to enjoy something more than health/doctors.
So it's not for stamina - it's for a medical condition that has nothing to do with stamina. That makes sense! Thank you for explaining.

Sad you are feeling torn, don't feel bad about it, there is nothing unethical about needing help.

I am disabled, I get pushback all the time and really want a sassy t shirt that says, "I'm in it for the parking."

Is hard to keep his LVAD wire safe while in the DAS queue too? Or what about when it's crowded? I'm just thinking about some of the areas we've had to navigate in the parks and that sound scary!

Is hard to keep his LVAD wire safe while in the DAS queue too? Or what about when it's crowded? I'm just thinking about some of the areas we've had to navigate in the parks and that sound scary!
Yes, we do have to be careful in all situations. However, the level of crowdedness is far greater in the other lines. And I sit directly beside him making sure that no adult or child runs by and snags it. I am really not exaggerating when I say that a large number or deaths of people with LVADs (left ventricular devices) are due to infection. Others are because something goes wrong with the controller. Or the batteries. If one of those parts fails, he has an entire travel bag with him with a spare of each. If batteries/controller fail and are not replaced within a matter of minutes, it's lights out permanently. Also hard to do in a crowded, inescapable line. And yes, it would be safer to stay at home. We both know, however, that his days are much more numbered than most people, and I really want him to have some joy during those days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter