DAS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyMouseCD524

DIS Veteran
I am traveling with a disability, and called ahead to see what if anything I needed to do. They told me they could note the disability on dining reservations however I need to go to Guest Services when I get to the park to get a DAS and guest services would assess me. Now my question is do I have to do this every day when we're there/do I need a new DAS for each park. I searched through the FAQ and I know the DAS can last up to 14 days but I just want the clarification. Thanks!

You would go Guest Relations at one of the Theme Parks. After explaining your needs, if DAS is approved for you, the Cast Member will electronically add DAS to your Magicband or park pass. Other members of your party will also be linked to your DAS.
Once DAS is linked, it is valid at all Theme parks (not the water parks) and will be active for your stay.
You do not need to reapply for DAS each park or each day.

Post 1 of this thread should answer all your other questions, plus any you might not have thought of yet:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/

Don’t bother reading past post one - the rest of the thread is from before and just after DAS started, so is no longer pertinent.

pretty sure a DAS has no impact on dining reservations. If you need special accommodations at restaurants you would need to have that information added to your restaurant reservation.

a DAS will serve to let cast members know that you can't wait in the regular queue for attractions, and they give you a time to come back so that you can wait someplace else and then go through the fastpass line. It won't eliminate waiting entirely and it is used only at attractions with fastpass.

Also, I recommend having a plan in place in case you don't get a DAS...depending on the nature of your disability, and how it impacts your ability to wait in the actual line, you may or may not receive one.

It depends on the nature of your disability. If it there are food/allergy issues obviously that should be noted on the reservation. If there are mobility issues - you would need to stay in a wheelchair or ECV for dining, or even if you can transfer, but only walk short distances, that can probably be noted.

If your disability IS mobility related, you likely would not need a DAS. A DAS has no impact on dining or buses, but only allows someone to wait for a ride outside of the queue. If you have any issues related to waiting in the standard queue, then ask for the DAS. If your disability is merely mobility-related, almost all lines are now mainstreamed. For those that aren't speak to a CM and they will direct you where to go or give you a return time, depending on the current wait.

A DAS is available from Guest Relations inside he park and is good for the length of stay. No need to get a new one. Have all members of your party there to link them to the DAS holder's account.

pretty sure a DAS has no impact on dining reservations. If you need special accommodations at restaurants you would need to have that information added to your restaurant reservation.

a DAS will serve to let cast members know that you can't wait in the regular queue for attractions, and they give you a time to come back so that you can wait someplace else and then go through the fastpass line. It won't eliminate waiting entirely and it is used only at attractions with fastpass.

I called a week ago because my disability is a bit of a unique situation, so I was trying to figure out all of the accommodations I needed to make. Somehow ended up on the phone with Dining (the cast member prior to that was REALLY unhelpful) and they told me to notate it for any dinner shows and character dining because we would need to be in specific seating. Being perfectly honest my mother usually takes care of this for me ever since I was little. It's my first time trying to figure it out on my own. But we usually stayed club level and the concierge just set it up. I'm not going with her this time so it's me learning the ropes for myself.

It depends on the nature of your disability. If it there are food/allergy issues obviously that should be noted on the reservation. If there are mobility issues - you would need to stay in a wheelchair or ECV for dining, or even if you can transfer, but only walk short distances, that can probably be noted.

If your disability IS mobility related, you likely would not need a DAS. A DAS has no impact on dining or buses, but only allows someone to wait for a ride outside of the queue. If you have any issues related to waiting in the standard queue, then ask for the DAS. If your disability is merely mobility-related, almost all lines are now mainstreamed. For those that aren't speak to a CM and they will direct you where to go or give you a return time, depending on the current wait.

A DAS is available from Guest Relations inside he park and is good for the length of stay. No need to get a new one. Have all members of your party there to link them to the DAS holder's account.

My disability falls under a different category, but it's not mobility related. But I do require accommodations for certain attractions and that's always explained and to the best of my knowledge has been accommodated. We have run into issues in the past where CMs have accused us of lying about it, and a manager had to get involved. But I won't get into that right now. But we always wait in the standard line if we can.

That might be a slight hiccup as part of our party isn't coming until 2 days after us. I take it we would have to go to guest services again once they arrive and link their magic bands? We're already linked together on MDE but I guess that doesn't count?

I feel silly asking all this, especially since I used to specialize in Access Services for another company but I know Disney is it's own beast.

I called a week ago because my disability is a bit of a unique situation, so I was trying to figure out all of the accommodations I needed to make. Somehow ended up on the phone with Dining (the cast member prior to that was REALLY unhelpful) and they told me to notate it for any dinner shows and character dining because we would need to be in specific seating. Being perfectly honest my mother usually takes care of this for me ever since I was little. It's my first time trying to figure it out on my own. But we usually stayed club level and the concierge just set it up. I'm not going with her this time so it's me learning the ropes for myself.
As other posters already mentioned, DAS has nothing to do with dining. It is only used for attractions at the Theme Parks and provides the ability to wait outside of lines.
The advice the Dining CM gave you was partly correct.
Some of the dinner shows have specific areas for guests who are using mobility devices (ECV, wheelchair).
The 2 specific ones I can think of are Hoop de Do Review and the Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show. Since those are specific shows and have limited numbers of accessible spots for each show, you do need to reserve an accessible spot/table.

The only character meal that would be any issue would be Cinderella’s Royal Table, where some of the tables are down a step. For that character meal, it would be a good idea to have it noted if you have a mobility device. Because the restaurant is accessed by a small elevator (or a set of stairs), there may be limits on the number of guests who would need to be evacuated by the fire department in case of emergency.
But, they could still accommodate you there even if you ONLY tell the CM you have a mobility device when you check in.

There are no other character dining locations where guests with disabilities need to be in specific seating. The Dining CM was incorrect about that. Again, even if you just told the CM when check in for your ADR, they can still accommodate you.

My disability falls under a different category, but it's not mobility related. But I do require accommodations for certain attractions and that's always explained and to the best of my knowledge has been accommodated. We have run into issues in the past where CMs have accused us of lying about it, and a manager had to get involved. But I won't get into that right now. But we always wait in the standard line if we can.

That might be a slight hiccup as part of our party isn't coming until 2 days after us. I take it we would have to go to guest services again once they arrive and link their magic bands? We're already linked together on MDE but I guess that doesn't count?

I feel silly asking all this, especially since I used to specialize in Access Services for another company but I know Disney is it's own beast.
If your disability is not mobility related, there would be no special seating areas for Character Dining or Dinner Shows. If it is vision related or related to need for sign language interpretation, there may be specific seating for the 2 dinner shows I mentioned, but not any others that I know of.
Again, for the dinner shows, it should be mentioned when making the ADR. For character meals, you can add it when making the ADR, but don’t necessarily need to. It would be more important to mention when you check in.

DAS involves the ability to wait outside of lines. If you need other accommodation for attractions (such as seating closer to the front, avoiding stairs in line, slowing or stopping moving walkways, etc.) those are handled by talking to the CMs at the attraction - they are not part of DAS.

Additional members of the party need to go to Guest Relations with the person DAS was issued to. Their Magicbands or park passes will be scanned and be linked to the DAS as additional members of the group. That is separate from My Disney Experience, so whether or no they are part of your group in My Disney Experience is not pertinent.

Just be prepared to explain to the CM at guest services why you can't wait in the actual line. They don't need a diagnosis, and won't look at a doctor's note, but they do need to understand what issues/problems you encounter when waiting in the actual line. Since you've not done this for yourself before, you might find it helpful to jot down some bullet points that you can reference when speaking to guest services...it's often helpful for someone who might get nervous when discussing the issue with guest services. .

But we always wait in the standard line if we can.

This makes me think you maybe had an accommodation under the old GAC program. The DAS is very different. The only accommodation offered by DAS is to wait outside the standard queue. As SueM mentions, other accommodations may be available by making your need known at the attraction. I’d hate for you to think DAS can provide something that it doesn’t, and run into challenges in the parks because you had a different expectation.

Enjoy your vacation!

As other posters already mentioned, DAS has nothing to do with dining. It is only used for attractions at the Theme Parks and provides the ability to wait outside of lines.
The advice the Dining CM gave you was partly correct.
Some of the dinner shows have specific areas for guests who are using mobility devices (ECV, wheelchair).
The 2 specific ones I can think of are Hoop de Do Review and the Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show. Since those are specific shows and have limited numbers of accessible spots for each show, you do need to reserve an accessible spot/table.

The only character meal that would be any issue would be Cinderella’s Royal Table, where some of the tables are down a step. For that character meal, it would be a good idea to have it noted if you have a mobility device. Because the restaurant is accessed by a small elevator (or a set of stairs), there may be limits on the number of guests who would need to be evacuated by the fire department in case of emergency.
But, they could still accommodate you there even if you ONLY tell the CM you have a mobility device when you check in.

There are no other character dining locations where guests with disabilities need to be in specific seating. The Dining CM was incorrect about that. Again, even if you just told the CM when check in for your ADR, they can still accommodate you.

I don't think I was clear when I made the last post. I need to be sat in a certain spot when it comes to dining as an accommodation. Not that there is a designated section persons with disabilities.

This makes me think you maybe had an accommodation under the old GAC program. The DAS is very different. The only accommodation offered by DAS is to wait outside the standard queue. As SueM mentions, other accommodations may be available by making your need known at the attraction. I’d hate for you to think DAS can provide something that it doesn’t, and run into challenges in the parks because you had a different expectation.

Enjoy your vacation!

I'm not sure what GAC is but I don't think we had it. Maybe years ago. We just came back a few months ago and were accommodated DAS no problem.

Just be prepared to explain to the CM at guest services why you can't wait in the actual line. They don't need a diagnosis, and won't look at a doctor's note, but they do need to understand what issues/problems you encounter when waiting in the actual line. Since you've not done this for yourself before, you might find it helpful to jot down some bullet points that you can reference when speaking to guest services...it's often helpful for someone who might get nervous when discussing the issue with guest services. .

This is very good advice and I'll remember to do that. Thank you.

@MickeyMouseCD524

Have you called Disability Services (407) 560-2547 and talked to them?

I actually had a hard time finding that number. I had called the main line and asked to be transferred to their Accessiblity Divison and the cast member was really unhelpful and transferred me over to dining. That cast member was very sweet and helpful for the most part but couldn't answer everything. But I'll give them a ring tomorrow. Thanks!

I don't think I was clear when I made the last post. I need to be sat in a certain spot when it comes to dining as an accommodation. Not that there is a designated section persons with disabilities.

I'm not sure what GAC is but I don't think we had it. Maybe years ago. We just came back a few months ago and were accommodated DAS no problem.
Without knowing what your need is, I don’t think we can give you any more guidance. The things in the computer when you make your ADR are quite general and deal mostly with the things I mentioned (mobility, vision and sign).
If you need something other than that specific in terms of where you are seated, that is generally handled by explaining it to the CM when you check in for your ADR so it can be communicated to the CM doing table assignments.
Without knowing your needs, some of the things I know people request as accommodations at the restaurant include:
- a booth
- a table along the wall
- closest to a buffet
- to not be the first table in character greetings so they can watch the characters before they get to their table
- away from traffic

My family needs specific seating in Biergarten - because tables are shared and someone needs to feed our DD, we have to be in specific spots at the table.
And, for others, specifically character meals or buffets, we need to be a bit out of the traffic and ask for a table along the wall.

Even if you have made the request when making your ADR, you will still need to discuss it when checking in, especially if it’s more complicated. That’s because each restaurant has a unique sesting chart in terms of where tables are located. Whatever your needs are, there is probably not specific area they all have in common that would meet that need

I know people request as accommodations at the restaurant include:
- a booth
- a table along the wall
- closest to a buffet
- to not be the first table in character greetings so they can watch the characters before they get to their table
- away from traffic

Was just going to put something like this as they were very helpful on my last trip. Just explain your situation at the check in - i.e. for my son we cant be seated in the middle of the room, so a wall seating or a booth makes dinning easier.

Also with character meals we needed to be seated so my son can see them clearly coming and not walking behind him. He loves the character but doesn't like them unexpectedly appearing beside him or behind him.

But as I said the CM and servers were so helpful and they managed to accommodated our requests - although we made sure we had early reservations and were prepared to wait a bit to get the right seating for us.

Last edited:
Just an update. I spoke to Access Services (thank you @mamabunny for the number) turns out the information provided by the dining cast member was correct about the ADRs and in regards everything else guest services can definitely accommodate the needs I described when it comes to certain attractions. Thanks for all your input everyone.

Just an update. I spoke to Access Services (thank you @mamabunny for the number) turns out the information provided by the dining cast member was correct about the ADRs and in regards everything else guest services can definitely accommodate the needs I described when it comes to certain attractions. Thanks for all your input everyone.
I do not know what kinds of extra accommodation you need at the rides but I can tell you there are sometimes I need extra help at rides and even the managers at said rides have been like yes we can accommodate you. and most CM at the rides are fine with the accommodation when I explain my needs but every now and then there seems to be one that will tell me no this is not something they do and give me a very hard time with it. I am just giving you a little heads up that what you hear from one CM can changes.

I can't emphasize enough that the DAS ONLY changes where you wait for a ride/show...it offers no other accommodation. I only say this because you keep mentioning having accommodation needs for specific attractions; if those needs relate to anything other than waiting outside the standard line, a DAS won't help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter