DAS Question

EMHDad

DIS Veteran
Looking help help or advise on the DAS system. Our ds14 was recently diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter Disease. It is fine and not long term serious. Mainly, as he is in his growth spurt, the bones and muscles are not growing in connection to each other and it can cause a lot of pain in his knees and ankles. He might be getting a boot for the ankle. Anyway, it is not a constant pain, but a repetitive pain. He will be ok one day, and in a lot of pain the next, ok in the morning, and in pain in the afternoon.
We go to Disney in Jan, and I am wondering if I should get a DAS, or if it would even be covered. Does this work if I want to get one in a 'Just in Case'. The first day might be completely fine, but then we find ourselves with him in a boot or wheelchair (that would be in an extreme situation) and my son not being able to stand a long time in a line.
Any thoughts or advise? He's our oldest, so we are new to this condition.

DAS is not issued for mobility issues. It is used for guests who cannot wait in a traditional line, for a number of reasons. A DAS doesn't eliminate the need of waiting in line. You just get to wait somewhere else and return. When you return there can be (usually is) a line that you will wait in.

it sounds like your son would benefit from the use of a wheelchair. It can be used through regular lines. Cast members would have the wheelchair at re ride exit for his use. If the ride lines cannot accommodate a wheelchair, cast members will direct on to a loading zone for that ride.

should you still wish to try for a DAS, be able to explain why he can't wait in a traditional line. Don't be surprised if the use of a wheelchair can accommodate his needs and nothing else is necessary

DAS is not issued for mobility issues. It is used for guests who cannot wait in a traditional line, for a number of reasons. A DAS doesn't eliminate the need of waiting in line. You just get to wait somewhere else and return. When you return there can be (usually is) a line that you will wait in.

it sounds like your son would benefit from the use of a wheelchair. It can be used through regular lines. Cast members would have the wheelchair at re ride exit for his use. If the ride lines cannot accommodate a wheelchair, cast members will direct on to a loading zone for that ride.

should you still wish to try for a DAS, be able to explain why he can't wait in a traditional line. Don't be surprised if the use of a wheelchair can accommodate his needs and nothing else is necessary

Thank you. This is helpful. We might do a wheelchair. We are also looking into one of those 'knee Walker's (not sure what its called. One leg is resting on a little mobile cart.) especially if he has the boot.

Looking help help or advise on the DAS system. Our ds14 was recently diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter Disease. It is fine and not long term serious. Mainly, as he is in his growth spurt, the bones and muscles are not growing in connection to each other and it can cause a lot of pain in his knees and ankles. He might be getting a boot for the ankle. Anyway, it is not a constant pain, but a repetitive pain. He will be ok one day, and in a lot of pain the next, ok in the morning, and in pain in the afternoon.
We go to Disney in Jan, and I am wondering if I should get a DAS, or if it would even be covered. Does this work if I want to get one in a 'Just in Case'. The first day might be completely fine, but then we find ourselves with him in a boot or wheelchair (that would be in an extreme situation) and my son not being able to stand a long time in a line.
Any thoughts or advise? He's our oldest, so we are new to this condition.
I would get a wheelchair that fits him and use that the DAS dose nothing to help with walking or standing to long

I agree...this is not what a DAS is for. You should use a stroller (as a wheelchair) or a wheelchair in line for him because he is not able to walk long distances.

Thank you. This is helpful. We might do a wheelchair. We are also looking into one of those 'knee Walker's (not sure what its called. One leg is resting on a little mobile cart.) especially if he has the boot.
as another poster said forget the walker and use the wheelchair. walker is one thing in house but if you have one try walking with it outside in the yard or sidewalk. it is not as easy as it would seem. ps look at offsite rental instead of park. park rentals will not help you outside gate getting to transportation at end of day or getting to your room at resort which can be a distance

Definitely consider a wheelchair! A knee "walker" is harder to use with park crowds. Don't forget a guest can average 8-12 miles of walking per day. 25,000 plus steps a day is " normal ".
as another poster said forget the walker and use the wheelchair. walker is one thing in house but if you have one try walking with it outside in the yard or sidewalk. it is not as easy as it would seem. ps look at offsite rental instead of park. park rentals will not help you outside gate getting to transportation at end of day or getting to your room at resort which can be a distance

Just to add a bit more here... Knee walkers can be problematic at WDW, even for folks who use them on a regular basis in their daily live at home, because WDW has many different types of patterned concrete surfaces. I have yet to see a knee walker with any real shock absorber capability, and so in addition to the long distances, and the crowds (and using a relatively unfamiliar device) some of the paving can actually be bumpy and jarring; I would hate for his pain to be made worse (inadvertently) by the use of a mobility device that won't serve his needs as well to begin with.

A standard folding wheelchair is just that - he can fold it, and a member of the party can push it folded if he doesn't need it at the moment. Additionally, you can use the "park and walk" strategy - if he is not feeling the need for the chair, you can leave it parked (it may be moved as Cast Members do tend to move scooters, chairs and strollers around to keep walkways safe and tidy) but if you mark it with some brightly colored ribbon or a brightly colored bandana (or even pop a favorite t-shirt over the back of it) it makes it much easier for a CM to help you find it - then you are looking for "the wheelchair with the bright green ribbon tied to the handles" instead of "the black one". When you move on from one area to another, you can just grab the chair, and take it along, and park it in the next general area you are going to be in. At dining venues, you can park it outside, or if he needs it, he can take it all the way to the table.

Remember to grab a towel from the hotel room to cover the seat, so it doesn't get too hot from sitting in the sun.

One last thing. Everyone will try to tell you that he's a "healthy 14 year old" and so he can self-propel the wheelchair. While it's true that he probably has more stamina than this old rabbit does, even a "healthy" 14 year old will find that they can't self-propel through anything resembling a full "Disney day". And, if they try, they will wind up with limp noodles for arms, not to mention a great deal of pain in their arms, shoulders and possibly even their back. To avoid this outcome, someone in your group will need to push him most of the time. Certainly there may be times when he will want some freedom or autonomy, but in general, make sure that you all are prepared to help push him. Personally, I recommend a cheap pair of golf or biking gloves from Walmart or Target, just in case you get a rental chair with the old-fashioned shiny black plastic handles; you will develop blisters quickly (I speak from experience). Even with the newer closed-cell foam covered handles, days spent pushing a chair around WDW can take a toll on the hands of the pushers!

Avoid the temptation to just buy a "travel chair" or "companion chair" (wheelchairs that have 4 small wheels, instead of 2 large back wheels and 2 small front wheels). Those have the potential to be quite uncomfortable over the course of a long day - they are made more for short trips, and transfer situations; they are not intended to be used all day. They are also harder to push, and typically have thin, poorly supported seats that offer no cushioning or support for the user.

You may be thinking, "Well, we will just rent him an electric wheelchair, or an ECV (scooter)". Rental vendors in Orlando will not generally rent electric wheelchairs to anyone who is not a full time user in their daily life at home. And scooter rental companies generally won't rent to anyone under 18; some will rent to younger teens, but again typically only those who use a mobility device in their daily life at home.

One last tip - as the mom of a former teen who was in and out of boots, braces, AFOs, etc. since birth, taking off and going to WDW with a new orthotic or other "helper" (like an air cast, or boot) is not recommended either. Even custom-made orthotics require a certain amount of break-in time; with crowds, uneven surfaces and long days with lots of walking, it's a recipe for real problems with a new helper device. (Also, find brace socks if he is going to be in any type of orthotic long-term - they can make a difference)

So, what are y'all to do?

As the mom of a young adult/former kid with multiple orthopedic birth defects, I can tell you that the wheelchair will be your best bet. Not only does it basically eliminate the need for the DAS, but it gives him a guaranteed seat whenever he needs it, which can be priceless at WDW!

The other bit of advice is to remember that First Aid at every Park will be a great place to head to if he has a lot of pain, and needs some OTC relief (thinking Tylenol here) or maybe an ice pack, or just to prop up his leg for a bit. The First Aid folks are wonderful at Disney World; the stations are near the front of every one of the 4 Parks, and are marked on the maps (both in the My Disney Experience App, and on the paper maps available at the entrance). Every CM in the Parks can tell you how to get to First Aid.

If you are flying, remember that airport terminals can be looooooong walks from the curb to the gate; wheelchairs fly for free on all US airlines as medical equipment, so don't hesitate to use it for the entire trip; they will stow the chair either in a closet in the plane, or in a special hold for gate-checked equipment. Think about any layovers you may have as well; for example, to get to WDW, my family has to fly through DFW, and often have to change terminals between flights. Without a mobility device, I would never make the next plane! And, anything you might need at the hotel, but don't want to pack (like a heating pad, or an inexpensive body pillow to help prop up his leg at night) can be drop shipped directly to the hotel prior to your arrival. Although Disney does have a fee for handling packages, ask the Front Desk if they will waive it (as long as it is truly medical-related) they will typically be able to waive the little fee.

I know it can be startling to get a diagnosis for your child, and you are trying to learn about his condition, and what it might mean, and how to handle it, and most importantly, how to keep him comfortable. Don't forget to include his medical team(s) in your planning.

I hope that *everyone* in your family has the best possible Disney vacation you can 🙂

Just to add a bit more here... Knee walkers can be problematic at WDW, even for folks who use them on a regular basis in their daily live at home, because WDW has many different types of patterned concrete surfaces. I have yet to see a knee walker with any real shock absorber capability, and so in addition to the long distances, and the crowds (and using a relatively unfamiliar device) some of the paving can actually be bumpy and jarring; I would hate for his pain to be made worse (inadvertently) by the use of a mobility device that won't serve his needs as well to begin with.

A standard folding wheelchair is just that - he can fold it, and a member of the party can push it folded if he doesn't need it at the moment. Additionally, you can use the "park and walk" strategy - if he is not feeling the need for the chair, you can leave it parked (it may be moved as Cast Members do tend to move scooters, chairs and strollers around to keep walkways safe and tidy) but if you mark it with some brightly colored ribbon or a brightly colored bandana (or even pop a favorite t-shirt over the back of it) it makes it much easier for a CM to help you find it - then you are looking for "the wheelchair with the bright green ribbon tied to the handles" instead of "the black one". When you move on from one area to another, you can just grab the chair, and take it along, and park it in the next general area you are going to be in. At dining venues, you can park it outside, or if he needs it, he can take it all the way to the table.

Remember to grab a towel from the hotel room to cover the seat, so it doesn't get too hot from sitting in the sun.

One last thing. Everyone will try to tell you that he's a "healthy 14 year old" and so he can self-propel the wheelchair. While it's true that he probably has more stamina than this old rabbit does, even a "healthy" 14 year old will find that they can't self-propel through anything resembling a full "Disney day". And, if they try, they will wind up with limp noodles for arms, not to mention a great deal of pain in their arms, shoulders and possibly even their back. To avoid this outcome, someone in your group will need to push him most of the time. Certainly there may be times when he will want some freedom or autonomy, but in general, make sure that you all are prepared to help push him. Personally, I recommend a cheap pair of golf or biking gloves from Walmart or Target, just in case you get a rental chair with the old-fashioned shiny black plastic handles; you will develop blisters quickly (I speak from experience). Even with the newer closed-cell foam covered handles, days spent pushing a chair around WDW can take a toll on the hands of the pushers!

Avoid the temptation to just buy a "travel chair" or "companion chair" (wheelchairs that have 4 small wheels, instead of 2 large back wheels and 2 small front wheels). Those have the potential to be quite uncomfortable over the course of a long day - they are made more for short trips, and transfer situations; they are not intended to be used all day. They are also harder to push, and typically have thin, poorly supported seats that offer no cushioning or support for the user.

You may be thinking, "Well, we will just rent him an electric wheelchair, or an ECV (scooter)". Rental vendors in Orlando will not generally rent electric wheelchairs to anyone who is not a full time user in their daily life at home. And scooter rental companies generally won't rent to anyone under 18; some will rent to younger teens, but again typically only those who use a mobility device in their daily life at home.

One last tip - as the mom of a former teen who was in and out of boots, braces, AFOs, etc. since birth, taking off and going to WDW with a new orthotic or other "helper" (like an air cast, or boot) is not recommended either. Even custom-made orthotics require a certain amount of break-in time; with crowds, uneven surfaces and long days with lots of walking, it's a recipe for real problems with a new helper device. (Also, find brace socks if he is going to be in any type of orthotic long-term - they can make a difference)

So, what are y'all to do?

As the mom of a young adult/former kid with multiple orthopedic birth defects, I can tell you that the wheelchair will be your best bet. Not only does it basically eliminate the need for the DAS, but it gives him a guaranteed seat whenever he needs it, which can be priceless at WDW!

The other bit of advice is to remember that First Aid at every Park will be a great place to head to if he has a lot of pain, and needs some OTC relief (thinking Tylenol here) or maybe an ice pack, or just to prop up his leg for a bit. The First Aid folks are wonderful at Disney World; the stations are near the front of every one of the 4 Parks, and are marked on the maps (both in the My Disney Experience App, and on the paper maps available at the entrance). Every CM in the Parks can tell you how to get to First Aid.

If you are flying, remember that airport terminals can be looooooong walks from the curb to the gate; wheelchairs fly for free on all US airlines as medical equipment, so don't hesitate to use it for the entire trip; they will stow the chair either in a closet in the plane, or in a special hold for gate-checked equipment. Think about any layovers you may have as well; for example, to get to WDW, my family has to fly through DFW, and often have to change terminals between flights. Without a mobility device, I would never make the next plane! And, anything you might need at the hotel, but don't want to pack (like a heating pad, or an inexpensive body pillow to help prop up his leg at night) can be drop shipped directly to the hotel prior to your arrival. Although Disney does have a fee for handling packages, ask the Front Desk if they will waive it (as long as it is truly medical-related) they will typically be able to waive the little fee.

I know it can be startling to get a diagnosis for your child, and you are trying to learn about his condition, and what it might mean, and how to handle it, and most importantly, how to keep him comfortable. Don't forget to include his medical team(s) in your planning.

I hope that *everyone* in your family has the best possible Disney vacation you can 🙂

Tyvm for this help. Long term and on average our ds14 is great. The pain and discomfort is the hard part and we are learning to help him manage. This will help us in Jan to make it a good trip for him as well. Ty!

Tyvm for this help. Long term and on average our ds14 is great. The pain and discomfort is the hard part and we are learning to help him manage. This will help us in Jan to make it a good trip for him as well. Ty!
and if he is like any of my grandsons try to make him understand that it is okay to get help even if that help is a wheelchair. just being young does not mean no to getting help. and I agree a chair at the airport most likely will be needed. have a great trip

My youngest has Osgood Schlatter Disease. We walked 8 miles on our day at MK. He had to ice his knees after. Disney suggests wheelchair rental for mobility issues. We were also told not to have him use ibuprofen until after exercise so that he doesn’t overdo it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!