DAS with sensory processing issues

4Hawks

"Be a goldfish" - Ted Lasso
My DD has sensory processing issues. She's mostly sensory avoiding (overwhelmed by loud noises and crowds, very sensitive to clothing, gets very upset by changes in routine), but is also rough, daring, and constantly on the move.

When we went last year, she was too short for most of the rides, so with Rider Switch and Fastpass, she did not have to wait in line for more than a few minutes and we had no need for DAS. This time, however, she will be able to ride more rides and some of them will have long lines.

If we choose to request a DAS, is sensory processing an eligible disability? Will I need a doctor's note? What sort of questions will they ask? I would hate to request one and be told we are not eligible.

If you have taken a sensory avoiding kid to Disney and NOT used DAS, what was the experience like? Any tips to make it easier?

Which rides would you recommend we skip altogether for a sensory avoiding child who might still enjoy some thrills? She's about 40" tall and we're only visiting DAK, EPCOT, and DHS this time.

thank you

There are no "eligible disabilities" -- DAS is not diagnosis-based, it is need-based. So you should be prepared to explain what about her sensory processing that will impact her ability to wait in a standard queue environment. If by chance you are denied a DAS, but have challenges in queues, go back to Guest Relations and explain exactly what is happening - that will help them to understand her needs.

The WDW -Disability Access Service thread pinned near the top of this forum explains the DAS. You only need the first post, as the rest was long discussion.

I'd recommend watching some youtube videos. Maybe with your DD. See her reaction to some of the attractions and queues. That should give you a good idea of what she needs to skip.

Enjoy your vacation!

My DD is ASD/SPD. We use a stroller as a wheelchair tag to give her a place to stay and FP+ to keep the amount of waiting minimal. We plan our day around what she can tolerate. She needs to be constantly moving. Standing still can cause a meltdown. She is only 5 and 42 inches tall. We have not needed the DAS yet but I think on our trip next year we may use it.

My DD has sensory processing issues. She's mostly sensory avoiding (overwhelmed by loud noises and crowds, very sensitive to clothing, gets very upset by changes in routine), but is also rough, daring, and constantly on the move.

When we went last year, she was too short for most of the rides, so with Rider Switch and Fastpass, she did not have to wait in line for more than a few minutes and we had no need for DAS. This time, however, she will be able to ride more rides and some of them will have long lines.

If we choose to request a DAS, is sensory processing an eligible disability? Will I need a doctor's note? What sort of questions will they ask? I would hate to request one and be told we are not eligible.

If you have taken a sensory avoiding kid to Disney and NOT used DAS, what was the experience like? Any tips to make it easier?

Which rides would you recommend we skip altogether for a sensory avoiding child who might still enjoy some thrills? She's about 40" tall and we're only visiting DAK, EPCOT, and DHS this time.

thank you
Go to Guest relations and let the cast members know what her needs are There ask what your concerns are for her in line you need to let them know what they are

As far as what to bring I bring the range canceling headphones with me
And something to keep my hands occupied like silly putty or playing a game on my phone and taking frequent breaks a really good thing

I didn't know about using the stroller as a wheelchair. If I can bring her stroller into the attraction, headphones, and something for her to play with while we wait, we should be okay.

Thank you all!!

I didn't know about using the stroller as a wheelchair. If I can bring her stroller into the attraction, headphones, and something for her to play with while we wait, we should be okay.

Thank you all!!
at EPCOT the stroller as a wheelchair tag allows you to being stroller in buildings where strollers are not allowed like The Land

I would suggest avoiding Dinosaur at AK. It can be overwhelming for those without any sensory issues. It’s extremely noisy, jarring, and there are tons of flashing lights and large animatronics that come at you quickly.

This was for Disneyland and not WDW, so your mileage may vary, but when my son was first tall enough for the "big rides," we did end up getting him a DAS. After waiting in line at Town Hall with DS to get the DAS, the CM was actually able to see the behaviors firsthand that made us request the DAS! At that point it time for him, it was more an issue with needing constant physical feedback, so we used the wait time to let him run around someplace out of the way and relatively quiet (we had some cars that he loved rolling along the various ledges - it was a great source of sensory input for him). I'm sure some of the other posters here could give you ideas of areas in each of the parks that would work if you need that as well. If your kid prefers to cocoon, a stroller that has a top that pulls pretty far down (like a BOB jogger) along with a lightweight blanket and headphones might be good to pack, as well as a comfort item they could fiddle with. We also watched videos of various rides ahead of time, and that was helpful for choosing which ones we'd try for (he LOVES Star Tours, for example, but won't do any roller coasters and finds most dark rides overwhelming).

Definitely look into the stroller as a wheelchair. I hadn't thought of this as an option for sensory issues in the past, but asked about it before taking my 6 year old in the spring and I have to say it was such an amazing difference. We had the best trip yet. He was able to remain so much calmer and we got a lot more done in the parks than we normally would have.

Last edited:
Stroller as a wheelchair was the best thing when my son was younger. Now that he’s 11, I picked up an actual wheelchair to take with us so he has a place to retreat when he gets overwhelmed. I have some mobility issues, so he and I will probably take turns switching out in the chair. An accommodation we usually ask for is alternate entrances. I hate missing the theming but that crush of people right as you are getting on the ride tends to overwhelm him. Usually they just direct us to the FP lane, but occasionally we’ve had a true alternate entrance like the end of a ride or a backstage area.

Stroller as a wheelchair was the best thing when my son was younger. Now that he’s 11, I picked up an actual wheelchair to take with us so he has a place to retreat when he gets overwhelmed. I have some mobility issues, so he and I will probably take turns switching out in the chair. An accommodation we usually ask for is alternate entrances. I hate missing the theming but that crush of people right as you are getting on the ride tends to overwhelm him. Usually they just direct us to the FP lane, but occasionally we’ve had a true alternate entrance like the end of a ride or a backstage area.

WDW has few alternate entrances - if you are sent to the FP+ queue then it would be more appropriate to use a DAS.

My older DS is ADHD, and the DAS was a lifesaver and I really believe made the trip for him. He's OK most of the time but long lines can push him over the edge. We didn't want to abuse it so we only used it AFTER all of our FP were gone and on rides that were more than 30 minutes wait. They don't ask questions about the nature of the disability or proof.

The DAS doesn't work exactly like fastpasses, what it does is allow you to "check in" to a ride via the FP line - the CM will give you a return time based on the current wait. For us that was amazing because we could go explore, get a snack, let him run around and burn energy, and then go through the FP line at our return time. You can only use one at a time, and when you first set it up your entire party needs to be present so that you are linked as a party member to the DAS. My son got a huge kick out of "reserving" ride times for us!

That’s what I’m saying. That’s one of the things we ask for on his DAS

The old GAC had different stamps, including one for alternate entrance.
DAS only does 1 thing - it allows you to wait outside the queue and enter using the FP+ queue. There is nothing else to "ask for on his DAS." If he needs any other accommodations, you will need to ask at each attraction. There are very few alternate entrances that are not the FP+ queue at WDW; the few they have are primarily used for wheelchair accessibility and would not necessarily provide a better situation for someone with sensory issues. If you are more familiar with DLR, I believe they have many more alternate entrances in use for mobility; WDW is largely considered ADA accessible and therefore they do not have alternate entrances.

WDW DAS is now issued on the MagicBands or ticket media. The first post of this thread has up-to-date info. WDW -Disability Access Service (DAS) It does work somewhat differently at WDW vs DLR.

Enjoy your vacation!

We used DAS on our last trip with our FASD/SPD kid. We used it at 19 mos and 3 yo. It was a lifesaver. We were at Disneyland.

No need for a dr note. Explain how your child gets dysregulated in crowds in small spaces, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!