Dating for a meal

Never and I've done a metric butt ton of dating. When I got really smart I started intentionally getting to our meet up spot early and getting my own coffee or opening my own tab. My husband was floored by this on our first date.

No and I can't imagine being that desperate for a free meal! I didn't date much before I met my husband but I always offered to pay half on dates, I felt bad. If he insisted, I would always pick the cheapest entree on the menu. I still do that most of the time we go out.

Never and I've done a metric butt ton of dating. When I got really smart I started intentionally getting to our meet up spot early and getting my own coffee or opening my own tab. My husband was floored by this on our first date.
I'm the opposite, in that I have very limited dating experience. But I always expected to pay my own way.

No. Thankfully I’ve not been that hard up.
No and I can't imagine being that desperate for a free meal!

If someone is that desperate that they have to "work" for a meal by pretending to be interested in a guy for a meal, they've got other problems they need to figure out before dating. Like securing a better job. :sad2:

I didn't date much before I met my husband but I always offered to pay half on dates, I felt bad. If he insisted,

What I usually do in this type of situation is: okay, he bought this meal, I'll buy the next. (Slip the waitress my credit card before he can.) Or if, for the next date, we are going to an event, I'll buy & bring a couple sandwiches, ahead of time, that we can munch on during/before the event. Or, I'll show up at the movie theatre early to buy the tickets for us and just hand him one. "I got the tickets already. Here." If he says he wants to pay me back, I'll say, "I got this one. You can get the next one." :teeth: This way, he knows, I'm not expecting he pays for everything. If things turn into a relationship, then we've already established that we take turns paying for things.

LOL..I think I saw a similar survey about 4 years ago after my divorce, I made it a point to never agree to a meal on a first date.

I found the perfect way to go (unless that person suggested coffee) was to agree to a drink at a restaurant with a bar. That way you could either bail, or if it went well, turn it into a longer date with a meal.

I found the perfect way to go (unless that person suggested coffee) was to agree to a drink at a restaurant with a bar. That way you could either bail, or if it went well, turn it into a longer date with a meal.
Just have to say I wish I had your confidence and out look on dating. My experience/lack of experience makes me want to run and hid.

Just have to say I wish I had your confidence and out look on dating. My experience/lack of experience makes me want to run and hid.

I figured it was a numbers game until I ran into "the one." I married some dude off a Tinder date, and we've been hitched for over a year, so I think it worked out. I ordered my previous husband on the internet too on Match, so I guess I'm 50/50.

I think the most problematic bit of online dating is the huge amount of options, if you have a date and it's going ok but not amazing, you're likely to bail because you have another date tomorrow and 200 matches in your que. I don't know if we don't let good people slip by because there is always the next swipe.

Never!

I’m also super pro guys paying. I only paid if I wanted it to be abundantly clear that it wasn’t a date, and then I just stopped going to dinner/coffee alone with a guy unless I was interested, so there was zero room for confusion.

I didn’t take advantage though. With my husband, we actually met for coffee and then we ended up at dinner, but I in no way was trying to get a dinner out of him. We just wanted to keep talking and we needed to move on from the coffee shop.

I do not miss dating!

I've never specifically gone out for just a free meal, but I have allowed dates to pay knowing already that I would not be reciprocating.

No. However, I dated a guy who must have been desperate for a meal. We had dinner and drinks at Annie's Santa Fe in Kansas City. When the bill came to the table, he handed it to me and told me he had no money. He hoped I did. Needless to say, I didn't go out with him again. I don't mind taking turns paying, but I don't like being surprised!

I think the most problematic bit of online dating is the huge amount of options, if you have a date and it's going ok but not amazing, you're likely to bail because you have another date tomorrow and 200 matches in your que. I don't know if we don't let good people slip by because there is always the next swipe.
This is what I mean by your confidence & out look. Me, I’ve gone out with 2 guys in the past 3 years. And right now I’m DONE. I just can’t do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter