Davids Bridal alteration question

Non-bridal gowns: Bridesmaid and flower girl (prices go from simple, intermediate and difficult)
Take up Halter 15 20 25
Take up shoulders 20 30 40
Shorten straps 10 20
Take in/let out at bust 20 35 50
Take in/let out at waist 20 35 50
Hem 30 45 60
Open or close slit 10 15 20
Adding bra cups 20
Rush Fee (2 week from pick up date) 25
Taper in/let out side seams on skirt 25 30 35

no offense, but i thought the prices for alterations at David's were ridiculous. we took all our dresses to a local seamstress who charged half that much and we were very happy. so if you know someone...its a good way to save money. I do love david's bridal though! so no hard feelings!

Thanks Heather... I was going to DB but DF's Sister told me about a GREAT seamstress...SO I will be probably going with her

I agree with you totally the alteration prices are TOO MUCH!
I did get my bridesmaid dresses from there and was very happy with the dresses, but not with the service.

I spoke to the alteratons manager about your dress. She said that is was a great idea to tack the dress and it can be done. She recommended tacking the dress in various spots on the skirt because just tacking the bottom won't do much. Each tack should be $5 and she thinks you might need eight. I hope this helps!

Thank you SO MUCH!!!! You are so helpful :)

So is it typical to tip the seanstress on top of the payment? If so how much and when? TIA!

No, you do not have to tip for alterations. However, if they to a really good job you can at least offer. I'm not going to lie, as with anything having to do with weddings if you do tip your seamstress she will be far more likely to do more for you.

I just had my alt appt today for my BM dress. My dress was on sale for $99.00 and my alts were $85.21! I needed a hem and a little taken in on the waist. I've got over $300 invested in my outfit for the day already and still need hair and makeup on the wedding day.

I bought my dress at David's, and I'm not 100% on this, but I think each location has it's own seamstresses who charge their own rates, there isn't a set price. I think it really depends on where you are. I know here in Louisiana, I'm looking at almost $300 to hem the length, bring in the bodice a good 3 inches, and add a halter strap to my currently strapless gown...

All David's Bridal locations have a set price based on how complex the work is. No David's should charge more then 120 for a hem on a wedding gown. The seamstress is paid by the hour and gets no commision. I know at the store where I work we have one of the best alteration teams in the country so what they consider to be an easy job may be a difficult job for another. But they can not just make up a price.

Oh, mine's not $300 JUST for the hem! =) I'm also getting bodice work done, AND adding a halter strap to it. The hem by itself I think was only 60 or maybe 65 for my dress? (Don't quote me on that...my receipt is at home!) The most expensive thing for me was the adding the halter part, because that was like $125. I bought my dress strapless, but DH-to-be's parents threw a fit! They're STRICT Catholics, and even though we're not getting married in the church, they still wanted me to have SOMETHING holding the dress up! =) I've learned to pick my battles when it comes to getting along with my in-laws-to-be, so I gave them that one. =)

Hi everyone! I went for my fitting today and snuck this picture while I was in the dressing room. (Sorry it's a little blurry from the glare of the lights)
e9218404.jpg

Mine ended up being $125. It was $25 to take in the bust (stupid weight loss!) $35 to do the bustle and $65 to take in the zipper.

Hope that helps :)

That is what I did I went to another local seamtress. I did not use David's alteration.
I search on the internet, I found Judith's Alteration in Vienna Virginia she have lots of 5 stars reviews online at the insiderpages.com I called her she is very professional details oreinted. She alter my gown to properly fit to my body with in two weeks is done. The good thing about it I don't have to go back for so many fittings. I met her for pinning my gown two weeks later I went back for the second fitting and it was final because it fit just right the way I wanted.

So, to all brides 2 B out there you have alternative if you don't want to go back to David's for your Alteration you can go elsewhere just to make sure that the seamtress is expert on wedding gowns.

I would highly recommend to take your wedding gown to Judith's Alteration 703-433-0399 and her price is very reasonable .If you have any question she will answer it.

Congratulation to all of your upcoming wedding.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter