Davids DVC: Rental reimbursement or rescheduling?

So my family and I decided not to go on our 8/10-8/14 trip. 2 bedroom standard at BLT. Rented through David’s obviously.

At this point I don’t really care about a voucher or trying to see if David’s can help move us out of the kindness of our hearts.

Is there any official way (that isn’t against the rules) to transfer this to a friend, family member, or a stranger on the internet? I assume no. But I’d just hate to see this wasted.

Do you have the maximum number of guests? If not, you might be able to add guests to the reservation but not sub-let or transfer it? It depends on what the rental contract says....does it allow addition of new guests not originally identified if you haven't reached maximum capacity for the room?

But if the owner cancels and salvags the points arn't they in violation of their contract?

Yes. That is why they wouldn’t do it without permission from renter and David’s. But if a renter knows they aren’t going to use it AND the renter isn’t getting money, they could technically confirm that and as long as David’s allowed them out..then it could work.

But. I doubt David’s will allow it.

ETA: I know if my renter in August doesn’t want to go, and Davids reaches out to me at all, my only remedy to him will be I keep points, 70% and I’ll willing give up 30% to be let out of contract, or except full payment check in day and lose the points.

Will not refund, reschedule, or rerent.

Last edited:
Do you have the maximum number of guests? If not, you might be able to add guests to the reservation but not sub-let or transfer it? It depends on what the rental contract says....does it allow addition of new guests not originally identified if you haven't reached maximum capacity for the room?

My contract with David’s does not require me to add guests. Only fix spellings.

I received the voucher offer today for my June 13-19 stay. I think we will try the charge back approach but has anyone had experience with using the cash booking option? If you use the cash booking do you get the same protections from Disney meaning if they need to close again, you would be able to refund or move your trip? I know there has been speculation about this based on the voucher language but I wanted to know if anyone has taken that option and has an answer.

So my family and I decided not to go on our 8/10-8/14 trip. 2 bedroom standard at BLT. Rented through David’s obviously.

At this point I don’t really care about a voucher or trying to see if David’s can help move us out of the kindness of our hearts.

Is there any official way (that isn’t against the rules) to transfer this to a friend, family member, or a stranger on the internet? I assume no. But I’d just hate to see this wasted.
I don’t think that David’s would even offer you a voucher. The resorts will be open, so that absolves him of any responsibility to make you whole. Your agreement with David’s might have a non-transferable clause in it, which is done to prevent people from reselling reservations at an even higher price. And even if David’s were to allow it, the owner might not be available to make the changes.

But I seriously doubt that David’s is going to permit you to get “off the hook” by selling a reservation that they brokered for you. What they might allow, with the owner’s agreement, would be to give you a voucher in the event that they can book another renter into those exact same dates.

Question - since DVC is canceling 5 days out and I currently have a renter for 6/15 and as of this morning the resv is still showing valid - where are these cancelled reservations for mid June coming from that David says are cancelled ??? I’m just confused
Thanks

I received the voucher offer today for my June 13-19 stay. I think we will try the charge back approach but has anyone had experience with using the cash booking option? If you use the cash booking do you get the same protections from Disney meaning if they need to close again, you would be able to refund or move your trip? I know there has been speculation about this based on the voucher language but I wanted to know if anyone has taken that option and has an answer.

No, booking a cash reservation doesn’t make you a Disney cash guest, The voucher states if something happens, you are out of luck, It is a one and done, The only plus to picking a Disney room is it is more likely it will be easier to secure,

There also doesn’t seem to be consensus yet as to the rate one will pay if a special is in effect. If you are considering it, I would find out if Disney has an advertised special going on and it’s one the website, will you be eligible for that .

I don’t think that David’s would even offer you a voucher. The resorts will be open, so that absolves him of any responsibility to make you whole. Your agreement with David’s might have a non-transferable clause in it, which is done to prevent people from reselling reservations at an even higher price. And even if David’s were to allow it, the owner might not be available to make the changes.

But I seriously doubt that David’s is going to permit you to get “off the hook” by selling a reservation that they brokered for you. What they might allow, with the owner’s agreement, would be to give you a voucher in the event that they can book another renter into those exact same dates.
None of what you said addressed my question. At all. But thanks.

Question - since DVC is canceling 5 days out and I currently have a renter for 6/15 and as of this morning the resv is still showing valid - where are these cancelled reservations for mid June coming from that David says are cancelled ??? I’m just confused
Thanks

I think he is assuming they will be based on the opening date as well as the cash reservation schedule of cancellations.

Even though DVC hasn’t actually canceled 2nd week of Jine, cash ones were last week, so he knew it was only a matter of time for DVC to catch up,

Of course, now DVC is opening much earlier than Disney hotels, so he could have gotten himself in hot water if they had decided to open DVC next week!

Well, I think you misspelled “Samantha” when you wrote “Kevin”.

Good one! That is caught at the beginning though...I know because I did it!

Unfortunately, there is no good answer or solution for a renter who doesn’t want to go when a resort is open, unless Davids decides to offer all guests vouchers.

I think he is assuming they will be based on the opening date as well as the cash reservation schedule of cancellations.

Even though DVC hasn’t actually canceled 2nd week of Jine, cash ones were last week, so he knew it was only a matter of time for DVC to catch up,

Of course, now DVC is opening much earlier than Disney hotels, so he could have gotten himself in hot water if they had decided to open DVC next week!
Unless the reservation is for Vero or HHI which are opening on 6/15. In that circumstance no email would have gone out.

Can someone explain the issues with these voucher. How is the risk any different than the initial risk of renting points?

Leaving contracts aside for a moment.
I am pretty sure the owner could call and change the names on the reservation for Yankeesfan123. Just like the owner could cancel it. I think but did not check David will sell existing reservations. This would give dave a double dip. Assuming this is paid for and David is holding the money what is stopping the owner/renter from changing the names? Dave has all he is entitled too he doesn't deserve a double dip.

Can someone explain the issues with these voucher. How is the risk any different than the initial risk of renting points?
The vouchers have language that work against the renter.

Want to book another DVC reservation? You will need to pony up a deposit just to have them do a search. If you’re lucky enough to get an owner match, that deposit will be applied to the cost, if it is more than your voucher. And it will likely require more than your voucher covers because David’s raised his rental fees in January.

Another shutdown occurs and it affects your new reservation? Too bad, Cookie! This is a one-shot deal!

If the new rental or hotel reservation requires less money than the voucher amount, you don’t get a refund. You lose that amount.

If David’s goes belly up, your voucher is worthless. If you have a reservation booked in a DVC resort, the owner could cancel it because David’s is t going to pay them. If it’s booked at a Disney hotel, it may not be paid in full. You would be on the hook for the balance.

Can’t travel in the next 36 months? Or can’t get David’s to book something for you during that timespan? Too bad, Cookie! The voucher has an expiration date.

The vouchers have language that work against the renter.

Want to book another DVC reservation? You will need to pony up a deposit just to have them do a search. If you’re lucky enough to get an owner match, that deposit will be applied to the cost, if it is more than your voucher. And it will likely require more than your voucher covers because David’s raised his rental fees in January.

Another shutdown occurs and it affects your new reservation? Too bad, Cookie! This is a one-shot deal!

If the new rental or hotel reservation requires less money than the voucher amount, you don’t get a refund. You lose that amount.

If David’s goes belly up, your voucher is worthless. If you have a reservation booked in a DVC resort, the owner could cancel it because David’s is t going to pay them. If it’s booked at a Disney hotel, it may not be paid in full. You would be on the hook for the balance.

Can’t travel in the next 36 months? Or can’t get David’s to book something for you during that timespan? Too bad, Cookie! The voucher has an expiration date.

That's the part that scares me everything else I can understand it appears to be typical.. My check in date is June 21 at BRV... provided they give me a "credit" also I paid via disney gift cards for the DDP about $2800. I assume my only options are to try and get the DDP credit back first and issue a charge back.

Leaving contracts aside for a moment.
I am pretty sure the owner could call and change the names on the reservation for Yankeesfan123. Just like the owner could cancel it. I think but did not check David will sell existing reservations. This would give dave a double dip. Assuming this is paid for and David is holding the money what is stopping the owner/renter from changing the names? Dave has all he is entitled too he doesn't deserve a double dip.
I think the basic argument I’m hearing is that David doesn’t have to... but it would be a nice thing to do with very little effort.

That's the part that scares me everything else I can understand it appears to be typical.. My check in date is June 21 at BRV... provided they give me a "credit" also I paid via disney gift cards for the DDP about $2800. I assume my only options are to try and get the DDP credit back first and issue a charge back.

tell David’s you want to cancel the DDP To get the refund for that

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!