Davids DVC: Rental reimbursement or rescheduling?

I have a reservation in the first week of September. I am Canadian, and there is a travel ban. David’s is offering the same solution “if the reservation gets rented”, I would get a travel credit. I am 100% ok with it, but I don’t think they’ll be able to rent it at that price. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should go about trying to get my money back?!

Im sure if this was applicable to you you wouldn’t be asking, but just incase I *think* our insurance (Canadian, purchased pre pandemic) would have covered this scenario as it covered travel advisories past a certain level. Didn’t work out for us to get our money back because of the closure, but again just incase you do have insurance.

Im sure if this was applicable to you you wouldn’t be asking, but just incase I *think* our insurance (Canadian, purchased pre pandemic) would have covered this scenario as it covered travel advisories past a certain level. Didn’t work out for us to get our money back because of the closure, but again just incase you do have insurance.
We do have the cancellation insurance on our cc, except it only covers up to $1500 Canadian per person.. better then nothing but I don’t think they’ll even cover it anyway as it’s a timeshare

We do have the cancellation insurance on our cc, except it only covers up to $1500 Canadian per person.. better then nothing but I don’t think they’ll even cover it anyway as it’s a timeshare
In my opinion, I’d put forth a claim and submit the information pursuant to my reasoning and see what they say. The most they can do is say no.

An update for the group:

I filed two chargeback claims (deposit and balance) against David’s for a Grand Californian reservation that was cancelled in June. Prior to the cancellation, I attempted twice to resolve the issue by offering flexibility of the reservation dates and by offering to replace my reservation for a Dedicated Reservation posted on the website. I emailed in April and again in May. I got the canned response both times. I was offered a voucher in late May and I immediately called to file the chargebacks. Did everything over the phone but had my documents prepared in case I needed.

I was notified today that one chargeback (balance) has been resolved in my favor. Still waiting on the deposit but I’m not too concerned about that. Disney Chase Visa.

In my opinion, I’d put forth a claim and submit the information pursuant to my reasoning and see what they say. The most they can do is say no.
I agree with this. Especially if you bought the travel insurance before COVID started. File the claim, and appeal it at least once if they reject it. As said before, the worse that happens is they say no and you still don't have any money. But if they cover even part of the claim, that's better than nothing!

I have a reservation in the first week of September. I am Canadian, and there is a travel ban. David’s is offering the same solution “if the reservation gets rented”, I would get a travel credit. I am 100% ok with it, but I don’t think they’ll be able to rent it at that price. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should go about trying to get my money back?!

If the resorts are open I don't think you can get a refund

Just curious... I've seen a lot of posts on DISboards referring to the current "fire sale" rental prices, but I've looked at a few websites and I'm only seeing what I would consider typical rental prices. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find where those listings are? Thanks.

Just curious... I've seen a lot of posts on DISboards referring to the current "fire sale" rental prices, but I've looked at a few websites and I'm only seeing what I would consider typical rental prices. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find where those listings are? Thanks.
Try some of the DVC Facebook groups.

David’s had dedicated rentals at $9 a point last week. Not sure if they are still up on the site or not.

try insurance if you have it. Credit cardis unlikely to resolve in your favor since this isn’t the fault of the merchant and the product (reservatio) is available with the resort being open. Tell David’s you’ll take half the funds back and tell them to fire sale the reservation if you want cash back, which is what I would suggest.

only for really upcoming reservations. Not for stuff later in the year

https://dvcrequest.com. rentals coming up in the next few weeks are listed for about 9$ a point, which is about half price.

David's emailed me this morning that they had found a renter for the points that I agreed to re-rent (I am the owner). I responded with the following:

I just wanted to confirm a few things before I move forward:
  1. What happens if the resorts close again? Am I obligated to pay back any money to anyone?
  2. I understand that the new renters are signing a new contract with you, but I am not signing a new contract with them (or you). I would like to see a copy of the contract that they are signing so that I can make sure I am comfortable with it and it does not tie me to anything that I am not aware of.
  3. I just wanted to clarify that I will be receiving the remaining 30% that I am owed, no matter what, in addition to $360.00 ($2.00X180 points).
So far I have heard nothing back, but will let everyone know what they say. I think people are interested in hearing their response to these questions.

Excellent questions I’ve asked several of them - I’ve been down this path - they lie - I don’t trust them and we are in a break - as to # 1, if it’s not in your contract - why ask David to give you new terms you have not agreed to? You will need to work that one out otherwise you may be in and endless loop until your points are toast

Reactions: cm8
Here is the response:

1. If the resorts close again, we will inquire if you would be able to/willing to assist in either returning the 70% that has been paid out, or re-renting the points should DVC choose to return them.

2. Your points are being rented under the old Intermediary Agreement. With everything that has taken place during this pandemic, we have had to make some adjustments to the contracts, however your points will not fall under the new Intermediary Agreement unless you list them again. Re-rental of your points also falls under the old Intermediary Agreement as this is what they were agreed upon with.

With that being said, if we find a family to successfully take over the booking, their Rental Agreement would be under the new agreement, which can be found in the link below. The only portion that has changed for the Rental Agreement is that we have added a Force Majeure clearly defining that the guests will receive a travel credit under such circumstances. In the event of a Force Majeure, we would ask what is mentioned above in point #1, either returning the 70% already paid out, or re-renting the points that have been returned from the resort closure.

3. As long as the reservation remains in good standing and the resort is open and available for guests to use, it does not matter whether the reservation is resold to another family or not, the remaining 30% would be paid out on the scheduled date of check-in. The additional $2/pt would be paid upon making the modification and the new family making payment, not on the date of check-in but before!

I am not really sure what to do. In once instance, the reservation is only a couple of weeks away so I don't think resorts will be closing. However, I DO NOT want to be stuck holding the bag should something go sideways. In another instance, I do want to help the original renters as much as possible.

Thoughts?

Here is the response:

1. If the resorts close again, we will inquire if you would be able to/willing to assist in either returning the 70% that has been paid out, or re-renting the points should DVC choose to return them.

2. Your points are being rented under the old Intermediary Agreement. With everything that has taken place during this pandemic, we have had to make some adjustments to the contracts, however your points will not fall under the new Intermediary Agreement unless you list them again. Re-rental of your points also falls under the old Intermediary Agreement as this is what they were agreed upon with.

With that being said, if we find a family to successfully take over the booking, their Rental Agreement would be under the new agreement, which can be found in the link below. The only portion that has changed for the Rental Agreement is that we have added a Force Majeure clearly defining that the guests will receive a travel credit under such circumstances. In the event of a Force Majeure, we would ask what is mentioned above in point #1, either returning the 70% already paid out, or re-renting the points that have been returned from the resort closure.

3. As long as the reservation remains in good standing and the resort is open and available for guests to use, it does not matter whether the reservation is resold to another family or not, the remaining 30% would be paid out on the scheduled date of check-in. The additional $2/pt would be paid upon making the modification and the new family making payment, not on the date of check-in but before!

I am not really sure what to do. In once instance, the reservation is only a couple of weeks away so I don't think resorts will be closing. However, I DO NOT want to be stuck holding the bag should something go sideways. In another instance, I do want to help the original renters as much as possible.

Thoughts?

I think they're going to ask the same of you/not give you the 30% if the resorts are closed whether or not you re-rent. I don't see what you have to lose, but you have to gain $2/pt.

p.s. as a renter I am biased lol, but I think this is true regardless.

Reactions: cm8

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!