Davids DVC: Rental reimbursement or rescheduling?

Even as angry as owners were..,myself included...they would violate the contract doing it and screw renters in the process for no reason because resorts are open and he is paying owners for the stays.

So, I’d say you are safe. Only thing some owners have done is not agree to name changes when a renter wanted out because of contract differences and don’t trust him that it doesn’t apply even though they are put on a new contract with new renters that have different terms.

Have a great time.

Sorry I am not all caught up on this thread.
I have rented my points through David's and they sent me an email asking if I would be willing to change the name on the reservation for the $2/PP kick back.
Does the original rentee get a full refund on points if they are successful in renting my points again? I am ok with this if they are doing the right thing and getting the money back to the folks who cancelled, but if they are just taking a second bite at my points, then even at $2/PP I am not sure.

Ok I think I understand the re-rental process now.
If they can re-rent the points for the original price paid, they refund back minus $3 restocking fee, of which they give $2 to owner and keep $1 to process the second rental.
I think this sounds fair. What does everyone else think?

If they can re-rent the points for the original price paid, they refund back minus $3 restocking fee, of which they give $2 to owner and keep $1 to process the second rental.

Up to you. I was not asked but had I would not have done so because it puts me into a new contract with a new renter. That new contract has terms for owners not in the original renters
contracts.

David’s has said the owner remains under same rules because he doesn’t make you sing a new owners one but in the end your name goes in a different contract no matter what he says.

Now if the trip is not far off it might be okay but again it’s up to you and your comfort level.

Up to you. I was not asked but had I would not have done so because it puts me into a new contract with a new renter. That new contract has terms for owners not in the original renters
contracts.

David’s has said the owner remains under same rules because he doesn’t make you sing a new owners one but in the end your name goes in a different contract no matter what he says.

Now if the trip is not far off it might be okay but again it’s up to you and your comfort level.

I am not following here on what the downside is to me who owns the points.

contracts.

honestly this suggests I could write up a contract saying you owe me a million dollars, put your name on it, and then you owe me a million dollars. Obviously that’s not how contracts work. People can put your name on whatever they want but if you don’t sign it you didn’t agree to it and it’s not binding. I think this is paranoia.

honestly this suggests I could write up a contract saying you owe me a million dollars, put your name on it, and then you owe me a million dollars. Obviously that’s not how contracts work. People can put your name on whatever they want but if you don’t sign it you didn’t agree to it and it’s not binding. I think this is paranoia.

Well, a contract that says if resort closes you are required to return funds for a deal you got paid for is a valid one IMO.

Your example is silly because when you do a deal with David’s you agree to things via online acknowledgement for renting points.

Again, you can do what you want and I will do what I want. The poster asked opinions and I gave mine. I personally would not agree to new terms and conditions. Others may.

Oh, and by the way, I know for a fact that an owner pushed him on this very subject and he did indeed admit that you were agreeing to return funds is resort was closed. Something you were not required to do with the original contracts. Not paranoia at all.

I think this sounds fair as long as you don't agree to a full refund in the event the resort is closed.

I rented two Christmas DVC reservations and was devastated for not being able to go due to the closed border between Canada and US plus the 14-day quarantine. I am thankful to David’s team and the two amazingly helpful DVC owners who agreed to change my reservations. I was able to re-rent my reservations successfully two months after I had agreed to re-rent my reservations. I opted for the partial refund option and paying $3/point for re-renting my reservations. It’s my first time renting DVC and I made sure my cc had travel insurance coverage before renting, but with WDW not being closed for December, I can’t claim my cc insurance. I am glad that David’s offers this option even though DVC rental reservations are non-refundable. I just want to share my experience as a DVC renter and show my appreciation to the DVC owners who had helped renters like me!

:thanks:

Well, a contract that says if resort closes you are required to return funds for a deal you got paid for is a valid one IMO.

Your example is silly because when you do a deal with David’s you agree to things via online acknowledgement for renting points.

Again, you can do what you want and I will do what I want. The poster asked opinions and I gave mine. I personally would not agree to new terms and conditions. Others may.

Oh, and by the way, I know for a fact that an owner pushed him on this very subject and he did indeed admit that you were agreeing to return funds is resort was closed. Something you were not required to do with the original contracts. Not paranoia at all.

and for many other people he says that no they will not be bound by the terms of the new contract... but you think despite saying that, they are?

so I guess if david inserts into the contract without notification that you owe him a million dollars that would be binding too?

and for many other people he says that no they will not be bound by the terms of the new contract... but you think despite saying that, they are?

so I guess if david inserts into the contract without notification that you owe him a million dollars that would be binding too?

No, but at the end of the day if something goes wrong, you will wind up in court because of it. You will win, but you will wind up there.

No, but at the end of the day if something goes wrong, you will wind up in court because of it. You will win, but you will wind up there.
Honestly, for this amount of money, I don’t think anyone is going to wind up in court.

Whether you involve yourself is your choice but no one is spending the money on any kind of litigation. Potential stress and aggravation maybe.

Honestly, for this amount of money, I don’t think anyone is going to wind up in court.

Whether you involve yourself is your choice but no one is spending the money on any kind of litigation. Potential stress and aggravation maybe.

I don't disagree with you, but small claims court exists for a reason... people can be petty, desperate, or any other number of things. I don't see David's company doing anything other than coming to some sort of agreement with people before it gets to that point though.

I think owners who nod and agree that of course they're on the old contract and the new contract doesn't apply are just encouraging David's to continue their business practices, which I think most of us have agreed are shady at this point.

I think it's fair and I admire you for allowing your points to be re-rented. Your renter will thank you for it and the new renter will be happy that they're getting a deal. Win-win-win.

I don't disagree with you, but small claims court exists for a reason... people can be petty, desperate, or any other number of things. I don't see David's company doing anything other than coming to some sort of agreement with people before it gets to that point though.

I've done small claims before... but how would this one even work?

I live in NJ, David's in Canada, property is in FL and my supposed owner is in IL? Just an example, btw, but is likely how most transactions would look.

I've done small claims before... but how would this one even work?

I live in NJ, David's in Canada, property is in FL and my supposed owner is in IL? Just an example, btw, but is likely how most transactions would look.

I'm not a lawyer but intercountry contracts exist so there must be provisions for how they work. My guess is slowly at best... they don't at worst.

My guess is while he went ahead and started using the new contract that puts the owner at risk if the resorts close again he wouldn't honestly go after anyone who only signed the old one. But again... not a lawyer. :)

I have no idea why you are being so contentious. The document with the new renter does say you owe the money. And, from what I understand about contracts, if you have agreed to the terms..which you are when he creates the new document...you are bound by the terms,

The new renter contract has the language right there in black and white so there is no slipping it in.

As I have said, I personally would not have been comfortable putting my name on a contract that obligates me to something I was not obligated to when I agreed to rent a reservation via David’s,

The fact that David’s did indeed confirm with an owner that yes, they would be agreeing to those terms, is proof that in the end, the contract is what guides it

If it wasn’t an issue, he’d put the new renter on the old renter contract. But wait,,,he can’t...because he wants them bound to agreeing to a voucher if something happens.

If renters can now decide they have a reason not to go, which I don’t fault them for, I also believe owners who are not comfortable to get involved in a new deal be respected as well.

I simply disagree with you

Last edited:
I think owners who nod and agree that of course they're on the old contract and the new contract doesn't apply are just encouraging David's to continue their business practices, which I think most of us have agreed are shady at this point.

Exactly. Even if the chances of going to court are slim, you Are agreeing to something new and not all owners want to do that.

Last edited:
I just recently agreed to a name modification for my October renter and I received the $2pp compensation from David’s. Before agreeing to do it, we had numerous emails confirming that I was still going to be under my original contract’s terms and condition. Of course, I was still nervous, but I decided that modifying was the right thing to do for the original renter.

When I received my updated agreement with my new renter, here is what it said:
12. In the event of a Force Majeure (as defined in this paragraph), each party shall be excused from any future performance of obligations under this agreement; provided, however that if Intermediary has collected 100% of the funds for the reservation from Renter, Intermediary will provide to Renter a Credit which is limited in value to the amount paid for the reservation which is $1320.00 US Dollars on such terms and conditions as determined by Intermediary in its sole discretion, as soon as is reasonably possible after the condition(s) constituting the Force Majeure event is/are notified by Intermediary to Renter and Owner. A Force Majeure is an event beyond the Intermediary’s reasonable control which renders performance of a rental reservation with respect to Owner’s rented points impossible or substantially impaired, including without limitation, acts of God, acts of government, embargoes, war, riot, epidemic, pandemic, natural disaster, governmental order restrictions and Disney Vacation Club closures or cancellation of reservations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!