Davids DVC: Rental reimbursement or rescheduling?

I just recently agreed to a name modification for my October renter and I received the $2pp compensation from David’s. Before agreeing to do it, we had numerous emails confirming that I was still going to be under my original contract’s terms and condition. Of course, I was still nervous, but I decided that modifying was the right thing to do for the original renter.

When I received my updated agreement with my new renter, here is what it said:

Thanks for sharing the updated version. It does look like the part about owners requiring the repayment is no longer in there. That is great news and even I would have agreed under this language.

We are owners who rented points out through David's in April in the middle of this mess. Our guests checked out yesterday and we received all our money from David's as scheduled. We were holding our breath the last few months that they might cancel but we never heard anything so assume they were happy to go (they were from Tennessee).
Just wanted to post that there are good news cases when using David's. We would use them again in the future. We tend to give him the benefit of the doubt but we do live near his office and are able to drive by and ensure he is still in business, lol.

I have also received payment from David on a recent check-in at the end of October. For another check-in in September there was some pushback, I had to reach out and request to get paid, but the October one went smoothly, got paid exactly on day of check-in. Hopefully their liquidity situation is improving and they can afford to keep both owners and guests happy.

Hello, I have read through the posts, but unsure what my option are. Rented two nights Aulani from David's for Nov 22-24. We are not able to go in November, but instead going in December 4-18th.
We would either like to move the reservation to December dates if possible, or could we expect to receive some sort of voucher or refund? I'm not expecting much at this point as we have already made other accommodations reservations, however I somehow want to let Aulani know that we won't be checking in so that the room can be used for other guests.
It's our first time renting points so not sure how all this works.

You should reach out to David as soon as possible. I think a refund / voucher are out of the question, since the resort is open and welcoming guests. However, a change of dates to December is possible, provided there is availability; it may help if you are willing to pay ~$3 per point, to justify David’s time for reaching out to the owner etc.

You should reach out to David as soon as possible. I think a refund / voucher are out of the question, since the resort is open and welcoming guests. However, a change of dates to December is possible, provided there is availability; it may help if you are willing to pay ~$3 per point, to justify David’s time for reaching out to the owner etc.

Here is the David's response:
Thank you for reaching out again about your reservation.
As the Disney Vacation Club Resort Aulani is officially open during your stay on November 22-24, 2020, we are obligated to fulfill the contract by paying your DVC Owner whose points have been absorbed by the Disney Vacation Club for your reservation.
Although the rental agreement is active and is in good standing with Aulani being open, we are committed to going above and beyond as we certainly travel concerns at this time.
We can offer to reach out to your Owner to see if they can move your reservation to a new date. Based on the expiration date of your DVC Owners points unfornately they can only move your reservation up to November 30, 2020. Also, it is up to your DVC Owner to work with us on your behalf. Again, the DVC Resort is open, your current reservation is active, and the Owner has fulfilled their end of the contract. They are under no obligation to assist.
Or
We can issue you Travel Credit that is valid for 36 months and does not need to be used exclusively for a Disney Vacation Club Reservation. You may utilize this travel credit for Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, Disney Cruise Lines, Walt Disney World Resorts (value, moderate, deluxe booking), or Adventures by Disney. The Travel Credit would be in the dollar value of the cost of your DVC Rental less any compensation already received.
If you would like to keep your reservation, that's okay too!

How does the Travel credit work? Would I be able to try to use it for a DVC stay in December?

Hello, I have read through the posts, but unsure what my option are. Rented two nights Aulani from David's for Nov 22-24. We are not able to go in November, but instead going in December 4-18th.
We would either like to move the reservation to December dates if possible, or could we expect to receive some sort of voucher or refund? I'm not expecting much at this point as we have already made other accommodations reservations, however I somehow want to let Aulani know that we won't be checking in so that the room can be used for other guests.
It's our first time renting points so not sure how all this works.

Contact David’s. For WDW reservations, providing an owner agrees, he may be willing to advertise it as is, which is what he did for renters going to WDW.

There have been no reports of him asking owners to change dates, just names.

The owner can not cancel the trip or the violate the contract, so I would not worry about them being able to free up the room for others.

ETA: I posted before your response.

As the Disney Vacation Club Resort Aulani is officially open during your stay on November 22-24, 2020, we are obligated to fulfill the contract by paying your DVC Owner whose points have been absorbed by the Disney Vacation Club for your reservation.
Although the rental agreement is active and is in good standing with Aulani being open, we are committed to going above and beyond as we certainly travel concerns at this time.
We can offer to reach out to your Owner to see if they can move your reservation to a new date. Based on the expiration date of your DVC Owners points unfornately they can only move your reservation up to November 30, 2020. Also, it is up to your DVC Owner to work with us on your behalf. Again, the DVC Resort is open, your current reservation is active, and the Owner has fulfilled their end of the contract. They are under no obligation to assist.
Or
We can issue you Travel Credit that is valid for 36 months and does not need to be used exclusively for a Disney Vacation Club Reservation. You may utilize this travel credit for Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, Disney Cruise Lines, Walt Disney World Resorts (value, moderate, deluxe booking), or Adventures by Disney. The Travel Credit would be in the dollar value of the cost of your DVC Rental less any compensation already received.

How does the Travel credit work? Would I be able to try to use it for a DVC stay in December?

Sounds like he is offering you a Voucher to be used so it would be available toward any rooms for DVC that may be open. Just be aware, things are scarce...and we don’t allow owners to check and post what could be there,

So, reach back out and ask him to book you something for those dates.

Just to note, I was paid for an October reservation on date of check in. One more to go in January...hopeful it goes smoothly as well.

Or

I want to add that I find it very interesting he just offered up the voucher since he has to pay the owner for the reservation. I wonder if it is because it was only for the 2 nights.

Keep us posted as to what happens!

ETA: if I was a renter who wasn’t given that option, I’d contact him back!

Last edited:
Haven’t been around here in a while and am pages and pages behind, but just wanted to say we won our dispute :). We were from way back in the early days of the closure. So grateful for all the advice that came out of this thread, thank you guys!!

I had an interesting situation with Grand Cal where Davids agreed to eat the 70% and I agreed to eat the 30% and we all went our separate ways. No haggle or hassle.

I had an interesting situation with Grand Cal where Davids agreed to eat the 70% and I agreed to eat the 30% and we all went our separate ways. No haggle or hassle.

So you kept the points then? Awesome if you did! It does sound that maybe he has learned that being flexible and working with owners and renters works out better in The long run!

So you kept the points then? Awesome if you did! It does sound that maybe he has learned that being flexible and working with owners and renters works out better in The long run!

Yup, i tried to be flexible to them and/or the rebter but they didnt want to go that route and understood w distressed points it may be more reasonable for me to just keep them.

Yup, i tried to be flexible to them and/or the rebter but they didnt want to go that route and understood w distressed points it may be more reasonable for me to just keep them.

Excellent. Well, I am glad to hear of positive things for owners. I am glad to be done with them, but will say in the end, I ended up in a wonderful place!

and for many other people he says that no they will not be bound by the terms of the new contract... but you think despite saying that, they are?

so I guess if david inserts into the contract without notification that you owe him a million dollars that would be binding too?
The issue is not whether you’d owe a million dollars but rather, if you have the time and attention to spend $20k defending against such a claim. And believe me, I’ve seen companies more than willing to “muddy the waters” to make the legal process impossible. This is especially true where they would otherwise have liabilities: now they scream “what about my claims!?” in an attempt to offset their own liabilities - often with success. All they need to do is fight opposing claims to a draw, “I don’t owe them full payment; they owe me a refund!” If nobody gets paid as a result, then in this case it’d be a win for the company making new claims that offset existing ones.

Add to that the international nature of any claims and it’s a bridge too far whether I’d really owe a million or not.

IANAL but I’ve seen this strategy employed enough to make me quite jaded about it.

Reactions: cm8
Or

Just wanted to provide an update....we were provided a travel voucher from David's, good for 3 years. We were able to find a room we wanted at the new dates for Aulani and used the voucher with no problem....Overall very happy with how they made everything right for us.

Just this morning, David's notified me that the person holding a February reservation does not want to go and if I would be willing to allow them to find a new family to put on the reservation. They would pay me $1 per point for my troubles, if they can find a new family to take the res.

I can see on David's site that there are already 4 reservations listed for the same days (same resort and room). I wonder if they would be able to find a new family.

After reading this thread I am nervous too about changing anything since this was on the old agreement with Davids and the renter. If I do nothing I still get my 30% in Feb when the reservation hits.

Just this morning, David's notified me that the person holding a February reservation does not want to go and if I would be willing to allow them to find a new family to put on the reservation. They would pay me $1 per point for my troubles, if they can find a new family to take the res.

I can see on David's site that there are already 4 reservations listed for the same days (same resort and room). I wonder if they would be able to find a new family.

After reading this thread I am nervous too about changing anything since this was on the old agreement with Davids and the renter. If I do nothing I still get my 30% in Feb when the reservation hits.
I would double check that you’ll get your 30 percent on the original reservation if you leave it as it is. Other owners have told me that they didn’t receive their payment when the renters canceled with David’s. I’m sure others here can weigh in with their experiences and wisdom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!