Davids DVC: Rental reimbursement or rescheduling?

Our owner has indicated he is willing to re-book for us. We have selected new dates that are only one point less than what we originally booked and are working with David's to secure that. This is part of the email that I got from them yesterday saying I had to acknowledge before they would proceed with the new dates.

Before I reach out to the DVC Owner to see if they are able to do this for you, can you please confirm that you acknowledge the following:
  • If Disney closes further into the year that we are not able to:
    • Ask the DVC Owner to rebook for new dates again
    • Offer a Travel credit to you
That would be a big fat nope, please process my refund / CC chargeback for me.

My first reaction to the Facebook post today and the grateful replies was he’s trying to keep his renters calm so they don’t try chargebacks. I hope it works out but I can’t see how financially it will.

Could
I got this as well. I am wondering what they mean by cash booking at Disney owned resorts. Does that mean David's could book a trip for us at say Caribbean Beach instead of renting points?

Here's some clarity from David's I found in the comments (Took out names):

We want to make all options available to our guests, and the Travel Credit will be able to be used for securing a new point rental reservation or a reservation booked by our team as Disney travel agents. These Disney owned resorts don't have to be DVC resorts; guests could choose to be booked in at any Disney resort (for example, Art of Animation, Pop Century, etc...).

Could

Here's some clarity from David's I found in the comments (Took out names):

We want to make all options available to our guests, and the Travel Credit will be able to be used for securing a new point rental reservation or a reservation booked by our team as Disney travel agents. These Disney owned resorts don't have to be DVC resorts; guests could choose to be booked in at any Disney resort (for example, Art of Animation, Pop Century, etc...).

If he can book me a cash reservation, how about giving me my cash back instead?

If he can book me a cash reservation, how about giving me my cash back instead?

That is why I think that if someone chooses a Disney hotel, it’s not going to give them more protection for cancelation.

It just gives them more options for the vouchers, which allows them to find something sooner rather than later.

That is why I think that if someone chooses a Disney hotel, it’s not going to give them more protection for cancelation.

It just gives them more options for the vouchers, which allows them to find something sooner rather than later.

Right so he's using cash to book me a hotel room? I'd rather have cash...

Right so he's using cash to book me a hotel room? I'd rather have cash...
Yeah this seems so odd to me. This was down in the comments after three people called them out for canned answers. I don't think they wanted to actually explain this one. I saw nothing on their website about then being Disney Travel Agents?

I agree, they have to have some type of restriction with this because otherwise it's a loop hole to get your money back.

I think David’s move to give access to cash reservations is pretty smart - many customers would realize how much money they are saving booking DVC vs. cash rates, and will end up renting again and feeling smug about it. And for those that will take the cash rates, I am sure David’s will qualify for at least 16% commission from Disney. Also, this will drive many renters to feel confident they would be able to rebook, and will take the voucher rather than the credit card chargeback (whereas the chargeback is what makes most sense from a strictly business point of view).

I am renting points, and after today's email from them (which was the exact same as the post made on their Facebook page) I am much more at ease. The fact they are allowing me to use the money I spent on renting points to go towards a cash reservation is important because now I know if I can't find availability with points I can just rent with cash and even get the free dining offer from Disney

Yeah this seems so odd to me. This was down in the comments after three people called them out for canned answers. I don't think they wanted to actually explain this one. I saw nothing on their website about then being Disney Travel Agents?

I agree, they have to have some type of restriction with this because otherwise it's a loop hole to get your money back.

I wonder if David's will still apply the no change/modification to these non-DVC Disney accommodations even though the underlying reservations may have no such restriction. If the renters end up needing to cancel on their own, he will then be able to minimize his losses when Disney refunds those reservations. The alternative is that he has been able to negotiate some sort of discount on blocks of Disney rooms, which I imagine would have some restrictions.

In any event, giving the renters more options is certainly a step in the right direction, IMHO.

LAX

I wonder what the terms and conditions will include when we finally see the details of this travel credit.

I’d love to minimize my losses in this unfortunate situation. I’m guessing the “cash booking” option will have some sort of strings attached, but with DVC availability being minimal by the time the credit is offered, it may be the way to go.

David's could be expecting to have access to a large number of distressed points for rent. Many existing clients (owners) from David's database could decide to rent out their points instead of traveling before a vaccine is available. Most of them would be unaware of the concerns we've been discussing here. DIS users represent a tiny fraction of DVC members.

In addition to the cheap points, David's could buy deeply discounted bulk rooms from Disney and sell them at a smaller discount. Assuming low fixed overheads and eligibility to the business support offered by the Canadian government, they could honour all the credits issued and make it through this mess.

I've both rented from David's, and rented out points multiple times using their services. I would really like to see them survive this.

This was my first time doing any of this, so I'm a bit curious. My current booking is Saratoga Springs, does it normally have more availability? Maybe I made the right choice lol!
they were doing renovations at SSR and held a bunch of villas for the renovations. My guess is they released them all back and putting a hold on doing any more renovations for the next few months until everything can even out.

I rented points at the Boardwalk for Labor Day week. At this point, I don't plan to go until a vaccine is developed. I just don't think the parks would be a good idea at all until then. I'm glad to hear that David's is giving more options and 15 months to rebook. I hope that will still apply by the time my original trip dates come around!

I rented points at the Boardwalk for Labor Day week. At this point, I don't plan to go until a vaccine is developed. I just don't think the parks would be a good idea at all until then. I'm glad to hear that David's is giving more options and 15 months to rebook. I hope that will still apply by the time my original trip dates come around!
From my reading of David’s response and their Facebook page, this only applies if the resorts are closed. If the resort is open, but you feel unsafe going because there is no vaccine, you would not be allowed to rebook (at least the way their current program is detailed as of right now).

From my reading of David’s response and their Facebook page, this only applies if the resorts are closed. If the resort is open, but you feel unsafe going because there is no vaccine, you would not be allowed to rebook (at least the way their current program is detailed as of right now).

I agree, I don’t think this is going to be the new program going forward, but rather a way to help in this situation.

Once resorts open, owners of the rented points are going to expect contracts to be honored as written.

If the resorts are open Labor Day week, you will not have a rebooking option. You don't go, you forfeit your $$.

If the resorts are open Labor Day week, you will not have a rebooking option. You don't go, you forfeit your $$.

Let's hope that's not the case. I have a very valid reason to not want to go before a vaccine is developed. I also highly doubt that the parks can reopen and fill all existing reservations before a vaccine is developed. A second wave of the virus is expected this fall and winter and a vaccine is not expected to be available for another year at the earliest. We shall see though. If the antibody tests become widely available soon, and I'm shown to have them despite never having any symptoms, or if I get the virus and recover before my trip, those are the only ways I would consider going at this point. Or if a vaccine miraculously becomes available before Sept.

Last edited:
Let's hope that's not the case. I have a very valid reason to not want to go before a vaccine is developed. I also highly doubt that the parks can reopen and fill all existing reservations before a vaccine is developed. A second wave of the virus is expected this fall and winter and a vaccine is not expected to be available for another year at the earliest. We shall see though. If the antibody tests become widely available soon, and I'm shown to have them despite never having any symptoms, or if I get the virus and recover before my trip, those are the only ways I would consider going at this point. Or if a vaccine miraculously becomes available before Sept.

if the resorts are open and the parks are closed, it’s unlikely David’s would make this offer available

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter