Davids DVC: Rental reimbursement or rescheduling?

Here is the response:

1. If the resorts close again, we will inquire if you would be able to/willing to assist in either returning the 70% that has been paid out, or re-renting the points should DVC choose to return them.

2. Your points are being rented under the old Intermediary Agreement. With everything that has taken place during this pandemic, we have had to make some adjustments to the contracts, however your points will not fall under the new Intermediary Agreement unless you list them again. Re-rental of your points also falls under the old Intermediary Agreement as this is what they were agreed upon with.

With that being said, if we find a family to successfully take over the booking, their Rental Agreement would be under the new agreement, which can be found in the link below. The only portion that has changed for the Rental Agreement is that we have added a Force Majeure clearly defining that the guests will receive a travel credit under such circumstances. In the event of a Force Majeure, we would ask what is mentioned above in point #1, either returning the 70% already paid out, or re-renting the points that have been returned from the resort closure.

3. As long as the reservation remains in good standing and the resort is open and available for guests to use, it does not matter whether the reservation is resold to another family or not, the remaining 30% would be paid out on the scheduled date of check-in. The additional $2/pt would be paid upon making the modification and the new family making payment, not on the date of check-in but before!

I am not really sure what to do. In once instance, the reservation is only a couple of weeks away so I don't think resorts will be closing. However, I DO NOT want to be stuck holding the bag should something go sideways. In another instance, I do want to help the original renters as much as possible.

Thoughts?

I think the issue is that under current renters there is no mention of you having to re rent points or return funds. You really are simply out the 30%.

However, I agree the chances of closing are slim. But a new agreement. iMO, puts you into a position to have to refund or rent again.

The current one gives you options. With the rental in August, though, it might be worth the risk because it is so close to today’s date.

Reactions: cm8
Here is the response:

1. If the resorts close again, we will inquire if you would be able to/willing to assist in either returning the 70% that has been paid out, or re-renting the points should DVC choose to return them.

2. Your points are being rented under the old Intermediary Agreement. With everything that has taken place during this pandemic, we have had to make some adjustments to the contracts, however your points will not fall under the new Intermediary Agreement unless you list them again. Re-rental of your points also falls under the old Intermediary Agreement as this is what they were agreed upon with.

With that being said, if we find a family to successfully take over the booking, their Rental Agreement would be under the new agreement, which can be found in the link below. The only portion that has changed for the Rental Agreement is that we have added a Force Majeure clearly defining that the guests will receive a travel credit under such circumstances. In the event of a Force Majeure, we would ask what is mentioned above in point #1, either returning the 70% already paid out, or re-renting the points that have been returned from the resort closure.

3. As long as the reservation remains in good standing and the resort is open and available for guests to use, it does not matter whether the reservation is resold to another family or not, the remaining 30% would be paid out on the scheduled date of check-in. The additional $2/pt would be paid upon making the modification and the new family making payment, not on the date of check-in but before!

I am not really sure what to do. In once instance, the reservation is only a couple of weeks away so I don't think resorts will be closing. However, I DO NOT want to be stuck holding the bag should something go sideways. In another instance, I do want to help the original renters as much as possible.

Thoughts?

There is 0 reason they cant pay you the 30% up front. Its not like the guest hasnt paid them full freight up front.

I asked David's to take my rental off their dedicated rentals page. There were over 300 listed for Sept alone so chances were slim that it would be re-rented. My owner was at least willing to help me out by trying to re-rent which was very nice of her. Now just hoping we stay healthy.

Here’s an update on my chargeback. I had a split stay at Poly and AKV for a trip back in May. Chase just informed me that my AKV reservation is fully refunded, but my Poly reservation is still pending. That doesn’t even make sense because I was supposed to check-in to Poly first. After waiting on the phone for over an hour to speak to a rep, she agreed that I should be receiving the Poly refund as well and to be patient.

I charged both reservations to my Chase Sapphire card.

Great to see all the successful chargebacks.

On the other hand it really makes me wonder whether they will stay in business.

I've probably been as critical as anyone here about some of the actions the company took, but I sincerely hope that David's voucher plan works out for folks so they aren't left losing everything they invested in these vacations.
It appears by the posting that the majority of the cbargebacks are successful. Unless he is getting some sort of bail out he is going struggle to stay afloat.

It appears by the posting that the majority of the cbargebacks are successful. Unless he is getting some sort of bail out he is going struggle to stay afloat.
True, but as PP mentioned, there may be MANY more customers (many who aren't on these boards) who simply accepted vouchers rather than filing a chargeback.

Reactions: cm8
I used David's twice pre-COVID to rent out extra points. My only reservation at the time was that I thought the way they matched an owner to a renter was unprofessional and similar to a game show. I probably would have been looking for another company if I needed to rent extra points again. I have followed this thread with interest, and because of the way David's has handled the rental issues related with COVID (for both renter and owner), I am now sure I would never use him again. 2 weeks ago we made the difficult decision not to travel for our early December BCV reservation which is using banked points expiring 8/2021. I listed that reservation with The DVC Store and it was rented yesterday. The process was seamless and the team at The DVC Store was professional.

I think David's will be lucky to survive as he needs owners with points to rent and I think there are a lot of owners (like myself) who will no longer do business with him. I can only hope that he survives long enough to fulfill the vouchers for those poor renters that took them instead of doing a chargeback.

I've probably been as critical as anyone here about some of the actions the company took, but I sincerely hope that David's voucher plan works out for folks so they aren't left losing everything they invested in these vacations.
What’s crazy is that I am driving to Orlando this week for a vacation. I knew that my Grand Californian reservation would need to be moved due to the closure. And I knew I wanted to go to Florida once things opened there. I offered a few options to change to a WDW reservation, even pointing out a few dedicated reservations I would opt for. Had David’s listened to that and offered something similar, I would not have filed for a chargeback. But nope. Many of these chargebacks could have been avoided.

And I agree, I do hope all renters and owners who are transacting with David’s are accommodated fairly.

I would not gave filed either but he could have cared less and stated so - so I filed and thank you Chase I won - now I could care less if he goes out of business with the only exception beings the peeps who took his vouchers - I do hope they can get something out of that but with the way he continues it’s not looking good

I would not gave filed either but he could have cared less and stated so - so I filed and thank you Chase I won - now I could care less if he goes out of business with the only exception beings the peeps who took his vouchers - I do hope they can get something out of that but with the way he continues it’s not looking good
If he goes bankrup can the people who took the vouchers still file a chargeback then? A few years ago I had a successful chargeback against a bankrup company, my understanding is the credit card company took the hit.

I really don’t know - I believe someone posted all about credit cards and chargebacks in the thread awhile back - I’m just not sure if you could do one if you took the voucher but if they go under then maybe you could - because you would not be receiving what you paid for in the first place. But I’m no expert

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!