• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Day 2: My birthday meals at Tusker House & Jiko!

Aimeedyan

DIS Veteran
Day Two – And My Birthday!

After grabbing a chocolate donut and bottle of water in the room, we hit Animal Kingdom for some fun! Though I really wanted to try Flame Tree, it was hot and we were already wet from sweat so when I realized that tables were outside, we high-tailed it to Tusker House for some grub.

What a great choice! We all made the mistake of ordering our own meals here – way too much food! I ordered the salmon; it was delicious but I didn’t come close to finishing it. Two people ordered the fried chicken sandwich and they were happy with it. The two other people ordered the rotisserie chicken and were really happy with it.

I ordered carrot cake and everyone else ordered chocolate cake. My FIL announced it was the best chocolate cake he’d ever had. They all LOVED it. I can’t eat chocolate right now but it sure looked good…. The carrot cake was really yummy but I of course left behind ¾ of it.

At the end of the week, the conclusion was made that the chocolate cake at Tusker House was the best dessert out of them all. And we tried a LOT of desserts. This meal went over well. My in laws, in their first visit to WDW ever, were really impressed at the quality of the counter service meal in a theme park.

Dinner that night was at Jiko. I was really looking forward to this meal. We dine at one signature spot each trip and I insisted it be Jiko. We had a little bit of a wait when we arrived even though the restaurant was mostly empty. I guess they were short on waitstaff.

For appetizers, we ordered a kalamata olive flatbread, Kenyan coffee barbequed flatbread, and the taste of Africa. All were really good, though the olive bread had LOTS of olives on it, even for an olive lover like myself. The bread and butter they bring out is really good, too.

I also ordered a glass of wine but honestly haven’t a clue what it was. I told the waiter I was planning to order the filet and wanted a smooth red wine to accompany it. He brought out a bottle and let me taste it before filling my glass. It was very very good! I think it was $10 for the glass.

For entrees, DH and I both ordered the filet with mac and cheese. I had heard about it so much that I was dying to try it! MIL and FIL split the wood grilled pork tenderloin and my mom also ordered that. Both of them really liked it. None of us came close to finishing our meals. The filet was WONDERFUL and the same quality I had at Citricos last trip. The filet at LeCellier was a disappointment after this cut of meat – world’s apart. The mac and cheese was unique and really not cheesy like I expected. It went well with the filet.

For dessert, I got a call from Goofy to wish me a happy birthday and a pistachio crème brulee with a candle on top. That cream brulee was SO good. The waiter brought spoons for everyone and we passed it around the table until it was gone. MIL and FIL were using dining credits so they ordered a sorbet of somesort, with a piece of pound cake. They are both really plain eaters so I think this restaurant threw them for a loop but they humored me and came along anyways =)

All in all, I’m glad I tried Jiko finally but it didn’t wow me. We ate at Kona the next night and all agreed it was the better restaurant. *shrug*

Great review! Excellent food choices! I can't wait to go to Jiko for my Thanksgiving dinner! :teeth:

Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for sharing.

Thanks for the reviews. Jiko is my favorite WDW restaurant. I also love their flavored butter. :goodvibes

grub=i knew you had to be from texas!! i'm from texas too! we love jiko; it is a must do every trip. we celebrated my husband's birthday there, too. and i agree--the filet w/mac and cheese is wonderful. i have had the kenyan coffee bbq chicken many times as an entree. so glad you finally made and hope it will not be the last time to dine at a wonderful restaurant. and belated happy birthday! :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter