DAY 2 of 3 - Mon. 5/17/04

PrincessTToo

Mouseketeer
PRESHOW – A half-price/double-miles fare sale on NWA to LAX was all the incentive I needed for a trip to Disneyland. I’ve only been to Disneyland one other time (October 2002) but I’m a WDW veteran.

SHOW – I woke up to a blinking alarm in my room at the GC Hotel at 5:30 AM. I guess it doesn’t buzz, just blinks. I’m not sure who would be woken up by a blinking alarm. I consider myself a light sleeper but not that light. I still got to Storytellers Café for my 7:00 AM reservation even after taking a wrong turn in the hotel.

The restaurant was so empty it looked like it wasn’t even open yet. I was expecting the place to be hopping. Chip said hi to me at the door. Actually he was saying hi to the people behind me but he might have thought I was with them. At least that’s what I told myself.

I got seated on the right-half of the restaurant. I had that side of the restaurant all to myself. But I really wanted to be where the action was. The closest I got to the characters was Chip at the door. I later saw him go to one of the computer stations and punch something in and sigh. I figured he was seeing the note that I was a Pluto fan.

The buffet was great and I had a wonderful waiter. After finishing my first plate of food, he asked me if I wanted anything else and I asked if they were going to have Mickey waffles. He said he’d make sure there were some. I was expecting they would put them out in the buffet but shortly afterwards a chef walks up and brings me my own plate of Mickey waffles. How nice!

Having finished my characterless breakfast, I had lots of time to explore the hotel before the parks opened. I walked around the pools. No one was there except some lady doing laps. I didn’t realize that all the GC Hotel the pools were right next to each other. So much for a “quiet” pool! I sat in a corner by a spa (hot tub) and called my husband at work. It was nice to hear his voice.

I had a little trouble getting out of the pool area. The gate says “push the button” to exit. After pushing lots of decorative buttons on the gate I finally found the real button way over on the right-hand side. I was glad no one was there to see me struggling.

I went back to my room and was going to go enjoy my balcony and listen to the parks waking up. But the smell of cigarette smoke was overwhelming. I couldn’t see where it was coming from. I started to worry that my room was right above one of the outside smoking areas. It was so bad that I had to leave. I decided to go sit in the beautiful lobby. I took my MP3 player and my journal. I sat listening to all the “vacation” music on my MP3 player, people watching and writing. It was great fun and I was almost happy for the smoke driving me there. By the time I left at 8:45 AM. the lobby was definitely hopping. Kids were starting to go nuts in anticipation… or was it from sugary breakfasts?

I went back to my room, put the MP3 player in the safe, left a tip for the maid and walked to DL. I walked around the stores on Main Street until it was time for the park to open (10:00 AM). I wanted to get my picture taken with Mickey in Toontown. I figured I better do it while my hair was still ok (pre-Matterhorn, etc.). I got lost on the way and had to actually look at a map! When I got there I found that Toontown was closed. D’oh, then I remembered that it doesn’t open until an hour after the rest of the park.

I found the right-hand line for Matterhorn. I had read that it was a little longer. So I got in the very short queue and was seated in the last seat with a family in front of me. The Dad was directly in front of me and tried to take video through the whole ride.

Afterwards I stopped at the teacups again but it was all families and I didn’t feel comfortable doing it by myself. I wandered around Tomorrowland and ended up in front of Star Tours. I’ve only ridden it once in WDW and thought it was a real barf-o-rama. But something made me try it again. I am so glad I did because I loved it. Have I changed or is this one different from the one at WDW? I can’t wait to try the WDW version again.

Fantasyland was packed by now but there was a small line for Pinocchio. So I rode it and couldn’t help but wonder why he didn’t change into a real boy in the end. Maybe I missed something.

I then found a quiet place behind BTMR and caught up on my journal and reviewed the map. By now I wasn’t ashamed to be using the map. I went down to the dock but had just missed the Mark Twain. So I rode PotC again. At the end of the ride, the kid behind me said “I didn’t like that. Do we have to do it again?”

I strolled for a while and ended up at the Tiki Room. I got to see the whole preshow and once inside I sat under Michael. I noticed that lots of the flowers and other things weren’t working but I still enjoyed it.

I bought a small container of fresh vegetables at a stand outside the Tiki Room. Then I left the park and did some World of Disney store shopping. I couldn’t find the hat I had seen on Main Street or the polo shirt I’d seen in the gift shop in the hotel. But I found a copy of the Snow White picture that was in my hotel room. I just love it.

I went back to my room and it was 12:30 PM and the maid still hadn’t come. I sat out on my balcony and ate my veggies and relaxed. The sounds of the DCA was so enticing that I changed into shorts and left. The private DCA entrance at the GC Hotel is great. There is no line. It only takes a couple seconds to get through security and the gates and you’re right there in front of the Grizzly River Rapids.

I walked over to Soarin’ over California. This ride is fantastic and I’m so glad they’re going to have it at WDW. I got in the single rider line and was on the ride in a flash. I got the bottom row and last seat on the left. I looked over the side once we were up in the air and couldn’t believe how far it was to the bottom of the theater.

After Soarin’ I walked over to ToT and got a FP. Then I did all the Disney Animation rooms. I love the Beast’s library and I found out that I’m still Jane from Tarzan. That’s what I was last time we were there.

It was still a couple of minutes before my FP so I stood outside ToT. There didn’t seem to be as much screaming as the one in WDW. I finally got in line in front of a couple of nice guys who started chatting with me. One of them was going to get married the next weekend and this was his “bachelor” trip. The line in the boiler room was very long so I had a great chance to get to know them. People at work give me crap because of my solo trips to Disney but one of the main reasons I go is to be able to meet and talk with new people.

The people behind my new friends were adamant that this ToT was better than the one at WDW. I’m going to call it a draw. I like some of the new special effects like the picture of everyone in the elevator that changes. But I really miss the ride down the hallway. Either way it’s one of my favorite rides.

The bachelors had talked about going to Aladdin next. I started to go there but figured I had time for Muppets before they started seating everyone for the show. I think I sat too far back in Muppets because the 3D effects weren’t that good.

Then I got to Aladdin just in time and had to sit in the mezzanine level. I was in the 2nd row in an aisle seat. I couldn’t see the “elephant” very well but got a great view of the flying carpets. This is a good show but I wouldn’t put it on a list of favorites. I like Beauty and the Beast at MGM better. But that’s just me.

By now it was so close to the 6:00 PM closing time that I knew I wasn’t going to be able to get anything else in at DCA. So I slowly walked back to the GC Hotel private entrance stopping for popcorn and orange pop on the way. I went back to my room and it was made up but not “turned down”. I ate my snacks and one of the Kashi bars that I always bring with me on trips. I waited until 8:30 PM for turndown service but finally gave up and went to sleep. I was so tired but looking forward to one more day at DLR.

QUOTE FROM AROUND THE GC HOTEL:
“Greet all with a friendly voice, and put soul into every touch.”

Great reports!

I'm not sure if you were trying to be funny, but I thought the second and third paragraphs were hilarious.:p

I wandered around Tomorrowland and ended up in front of Star Tours. I’ve only ridden it once in WDW and thought it was a real barf-o-rama. But something made me try it again. I am so glad I did because I loved it. Have I changed or is this one different from the one at WDW? I can’t wait to try the WDW version again.
I haven't been on Star Tours at WDW (haven't really wanted to), but I'm pretty sure they are both exactly the same, except for the exteriors.

so you never got to see your Pluto? Oh, how sad. Does that mean the characters weren't there or just didn't see you all by yourself?

I'm a WDW vet too and looking forward to my 2nd trip to DL next year, your report gets me all ready. Sure wish I could stay at the Grand Californian because you make it sound so awesome!!

Brenda

I did see Pluto out of the corner of my eye. He was greeting guests at the door.

It's funny but the same thing happened to us when we were at DLR in 2002. We went to Minnie's buffet breakfast at the Paradise Pier Hotel twice. The first time she barely glanced at us. The second time we were there I had to practically tackle her to make her stop so I could get a picture of her with my husband. None of the other characters stopped at our table either.

We've been to several character meals at WDW and have always gotten lots of attention from all the characters. I have the most wonderful picture of my husband and Minnie when we were at the Garden Grill in Epcot. He's just grinning from ear to ear. I keep it on my desk at work.

P.S. I'm always looking for a laugh or two in my trip reports. But I left out the funniest part. The lady behind me in line at Star Tours said her son was behaving badly because he was an Aries. Well, maybe that's actually more scary than funny.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter