Day trip from London to DLP - crazy? doable?

Selket

Been there - done that
We will be in London in early April and staying right near St. Pancras station (where the Eurostar leaves)....like right there at the station practically. I'm such a Disney fan I cannot hardly stop myself from trying to find a way to go to DLP. The direct Eurostar trains to DLP for a one day RT only give one around 3 hours there which is not that great. I have looked at taking the Eurostar to Gare du Nord and taking the local trains to DLP. I think I could get to DLP around 11am to noon going that way The last Eurostar will be at 9pm or so and gets back to London before midnight. Perhaps this would give me ...6-7 hours in the park. I could consider spending one night (perhaps booking Hotel Cheyenne through Expedia - about $230 for one night). I could take the train direct from London to DLP, spend the night and get up early - do the parks - might give me from 9am-6pm or so. I'd really prefer not to spend the night cause I'm also paying for a hotel in London (rest of my family is in London staying - not going with me). I could also UBER from Gare du Nord - not sure if that would save time?

I'm not expecting much in the way of getting everything done in the park. I've looked at some tickets that include fast passes - perhaps an option if the fast passes work as well there as they do at WDW. I realize I may do more looking than riding. I'd go mid-week (Wed or Thursday). I'm really laid back when it comes to riding stuff - I'd like to do some things but that part isn't a priority.

Any ideas? suggestions? is it just madness or would I be happy just to see it for a few hours? I may never get another chance so the urge is strong.:scared::jester:

We will be in London in early April and staying right near St. Pancras station (where the Eurostar leaves)....like right there at the station practically. I'm such a Disney fan I cannot hardly stop myself from trying to find a way to go to DLP. The direct Eurostar trains to DLP for a one day RT only give one around 3 hours there which is not that great. I have looked at taking the Eurostar to Gare du Nord and taking the local trains to DLP. I think I could get to DLP around 11am to noon going that way The last Eurostar will be at 9pm or so and gets back to London before midnight. Perhaps this would give me ...6-7 hours in the park. I could consider spending one night (perhaps booking Hotel Cheyenne through Expedia - about $230 for one night). I could take the train direct from London to DLP, spend the night and get up early - do the parks - might give me from 9am-6pm or so. I'd really prefer not to spend the night cause I'm also paying for a hotel in London (rest of my family is in London staying - not going with me). I could also UBER from Gare du Nord - not sure if that would save time?

I'm not expecting much in the way of getting everything done in the park. I've looked at some tickets that include fast passes - perhaps an option if the fast passes work as well there as they do at WDW. I realize I may do more looking than riding. I'd go mid-week (Wed or Thursday). I'm really laid back when it comes to riding stuff - I'd like to do some things but that part isn't a priority.

Any ideas? suggestions? is it just madness or would I be happy just to see it for a few hours? I may never get another chance so the urge is strong.:scared::jester:
It is easily doable in a day. Take the Eurostar direct to DLP (to avoid being distracted by other Parisian attractions enroute😉). If you think that this is your only chance, why not go for it? Alternatively, I am sure that we can suggest some amazing things for you to visit in London/the U.K. You could travel to Wales, in the time it takes to travel to DLP!😂

It's possible. Nowadays there is a direct train from the Netherlands as well, getting me into DLP at 11:00, last train leaves at 20:00. Of course at least 2 days are better than a 1 day trip, but hey, if it's all you can get, take it!
If early April means before the Easter holidays start, and during the week, you could have a great day and see/do many of the unique things to DLP.

But I must admit, Wales is beautiful in Spring ;-)

It is easily doable in a day. Take the Eurostar direct to DLP (to avoid being distracted by other Parisian attractions enroute😉). If you think that this is your only chance, why not go for it? Alternatively, I am sure that we can suggest some amazing things for you to visit in London/the U.K. You could travel to Wales, in the time it takes to travel to DLP!😂

The direct train to DLP arrives at 14:03 and departs at 19:46 so I was thinking with the time required to check in that I'd barely get 3 hours in the park so that was why I thought going through Gare du Nord was better. I'd LOVE to take the direct train but it arrives late and leaves earlier than the ones out of Gare du Nord. If I spent the night I'd take the direct train there and the one through Paris home since it leaves later.

I bet Wales is amazing in the Spring! Very tempting!! :)

It's possible. Nowadays there is a direct train from the Netherlands as well, getting me into DLP at 11:00, last train leaves at 20:00. Of course at least 2 days are better than a 1 day trip, but hey, if it's all you can get, take it!
If early April means before the Easter holidays start, and during the week, you could have a great day and see/do many of the unique things to DLP.

But I must admit, Wales is beautiful in Spring ;-)

Yes we'd be there before Easter so hoping any Easter holiday travelers would be the weekend of Easter and afterwards. :)

I've been checking holiday schedules as we will be there the week after Easter. UK school holidays are the week leading up to Easter so plan on heavier crowds if that is your week.

I would stay the one night (off site would be fine to save $). The car hire from Paris to DLP one way is about 140 Euro (or it was 5 years ago) so being able to take the direct to DLP would be the best option on travel time and with an Uber or car the hotel is not that much more for the added time on the ground. You could also transfer to the local RER train at Gare Du Nord which would get you to Chessy station (DLP in about an hour).

Truthfully I thought about doing this the other way last trip. I had never been to London and looked at a day trip. I figured it would be at least a 20 hour day so I skipped it. 4 years later I did get a week in London and I did my side trip out to see Downton Abbey (Highclere Castle) and the City of Bath.

You'd be mad if you go direct even if you stay over and did two days in the parks. My thinking the hours lost on arrival day just would not be worth it.

If you only want to do one full day, i'd travel the day before, stay in a budget hotel in Val DE Europe overnight so you can be at opening the next day. You might even be able to fit an evening in Paris the night before as travel is only about 30 - 40 minutes from Val DE Europe.. Then I would catch the last Eurostar or even a flight back the following day.

I also think doing it that way would be less stressful as if something were to go wrong on the day you travel you'd have even less time in the parks.

Last edited:

You could definitely do it in a day if you wanted to by getting the first train to Gare du Nord, which if you take the RER will get you to DLP by about 10.30am if everything is on time. You could then catch the last train back at 9pmish, meaning you'd have to leave DLP around 2 - 2 1/2hours beforehand.

The downside of this of course is if the outbound train is delayed at all this is going have an impact on your day so I think I would be tempted to spend one night in Val d'Europe (one stop away on the RER) at one of the cheaper hotels and then be up bright and early the next day. Having said that I would also price up an onsite hotel (Santa Fe will be the cheapest) as then you'll get EMH which will really help you make the most of your stay.

I had a half day to visit the parks last August after being at a conference and had a really lovely 7 hours there - see my little report here: https://disboards.com/threads/solo-visit-for-7-hours.3705891/#post-59819480
The difference is that I have visited the Paris parks a lot (I live in Scotland), so as well as being very familiar with the park there was also no pressure to do or see anything in particular.
However, I'd still say it would be worth you doing - I'd highly recommend just going to the main park and not trying to squeeze in the Studios as well. I hope my report helps you see what was achievable in 7 hours in August - I'd say I managed to do roughly one thing (show/parade/attraction/meal) per hour on average. I was taking my time though, enjoying the atmosphere and sunshine, and even stopped for a glass of wine!

Wow thanks to all for the comments and suggestions! It's a tough decision in that I really really want to do this - however I don't think it's the best use of my time. It's sort of battling what I want vs. what I should be doing - haha! ;) Plus the extra expense. I'm not too wound up about how much I get done there - I'd just like to see it and do as much of the uniquely DLP stuff as I could and I'd probably stay in one park. I agree the ideal is to spend a night there. So much to think about! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!