Day tripping to Monterey Bay Aquarium

ScrapperKimmyD

I'm all a-twitter!
I haven't been there for YEARS - and only once then.

We're taking our kids (9 & 10) for a day trip.

Anything I need to know/not miss? Anything I should not bother with?

The place is not huge, and can be easily seen in one day. Its a great place to visit, and I'm sure you will find a lot has changed since you visited last. There is a really nice water play area upstairs. My kids were younger though, and I'm not sure how much it would appeal to 9 & 10 year olds.

If you are looking for a place to burn off some energy, Dennis the Menace Playground is a short drive away (10 minutes, perhaps?). Its a free park with a lot of fun, unusual things to climb on.

The aquarium is great! make sure you eat and are not hungry before going in. There is a place to eat inside but does not really have anything good.

I agree Dennis the Menance park is GREAT! The kids will love it there!

Oh, thanks. I saw that there a 2 places inside to eat, but we'll be sure to eat first.

We may have time to check out that park, too. I was also thinking about going to one of the missions nearby. We'll just have to see how it goes.

Well, we went and are back. Got there about 30 min. after opening only to discover I didn't bring my camera with me. And for a Scrapbooker who TEACHES scrapbooking, that is almost a mortal sin! So, we went to the store and bought a new digital camera to use.

Anyway, we got in about an hour after it opened and were one of the last to leave. We could have spent more time there if we'd had it.

Then we hit the DtheM park and it was great! the kids loved it. Had dinner at Mimis in Gilroy, then headed home.

Thanks for the info - we had a great time!

There are lots to do in the Aquarium but something that was cool was the tables filled with water and had sea stars and sea plants that people could touch. I liked the movie/shows the aquarium had to show, they aren't long and if your kids like shows then maybe watch it. I also liked watching the divers feed the animals, they do that near the giftshop I think.

There are lots to do in the Aquarium but something that was cool was the tables filled with water and had sea stars and sea plants that people could touch. I liked the movie/shows the aquarium had to show, they aren't long and if your kids like shows then maybe watch it. I also liked watching the divers feed the animals, they do that near the giftshop I think.

yes, the hands on part was one of the favorite things for my DDs. My favorite part was the Jelly gallery. I could sit and watch those for hours!

yes, the hands on part was one of the favorite things for my DDs. My favorite part was the Jelly gallery. I could sit and watch those for hours!

I liked the jellies, especially the the ones that if you press the button they light up :], my favorite exhibit was the sea otters though. And the sharks, were there some HUGE fish in that tank.

Bubba Gumps is just a block or so away. the kids will like that and it's good food. Inside there aquarium not good eats :(

Actually, we had some GREAT food there!

I had a Caesar chicken salad sandwich. Toasted bread (with sesame seeds - yummy!), Caesar dressing type spread, lettuce and chicken and maybe something else. Don't remember for sure, but it was FABULOUS!

I love the tall kelp tanks, they are hypnotic and I could sit and watch the anchovies for hours. When we went a couple of years ago they had the great white in the big tank, that was amazing.

OP - Glad you had a great trip

Check out the Jellies at the Outer Bay exhibit.

There is a great new river otter section, too.

For kids, there is a whole section on the 2nd floor.

The touch pools on the 1st and 2nd floors are fun, too.

There are 2 restaurants inside the aquarium, one cafeteria-style (but food made to order) and one sit-down. They are both good choices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter