• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DCA ‘Millionaire’ Closing

Another Voice

Charter Member of The Element
Rumor is that ‘Who Wants to be a Millionaire: Play It!’ at California Adventure will be closing August 1st. There’s no word on whether this is just a DCA problem or if there’s a larger issue with the rights to the show now that’s it being dropped from ABC’s schedule.

Or perhaps this is just part of the plan to financially rescue DCA by leasing all those empty buildings out as warehouse space.

At this points let's just knock it down, pave it over and provide Disneyland Resort guests with more convenient parking....oh....nevermind

and provide Disneyland Resort guests with more convenient parking
I think we tried that before, didn't we!? I guess they should have listened to the - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" thing. It sure made a great parking lot!!!

There are rumors (ya, that’s it – rumors) of a scathing financial analysis that’s been making the rounds which proves Disney was making more money off the parking lot than it’s making off California Adventure. Another discount scheme is supposed to be coming for the start of summer. Given the number of closed and reduced attractions DCA has I guess they kind of got forced into it.

And speaking of parking, I’ve heard it’s gone up to $10 a car at Disneyland now. If they can’t make money off THAT!

I hope they have some discount scheme when i visit in early Dec. !!!!

Originally posted by Another Voice
Another discount scheme is supposed to be coming for the start of summer.
I hope the discount scheme will apply to folks other than Southern Californians.
  • How about a substantial DCA discount for WDW annual passholders, recognizing that the overlap between WDW attractions and DCA attractions limits the appeal of DCA for those who visit WDW often?
  • How about 3-day DL-DCA Park Hopper passes that never expire -- just as WDW Park Hoppers never expire? That would be an opportunity for Disney to bring in more money this year by selling higher priced ticket media.
  • How about dropping the Southern California residency requirement for discounts, recognizing that visitors have plenty of other choices -- and that if DCA at full price is a bad value for Southern Californians, it's also a bad value for out-of-towners?

Creating any kind of “park hopping” or permanent discount for California Adventure would be asking for Management to admit that DCA is a failure and the dream of a Disneyland Resort destination is not going to happen. Instead of a second gate, a one-day park hopper would turn DCA into just three more lands for Disneyland. There are far too many corporate egos involved at this point to allow that to happen. And the howls of protest from the stockholders all the way down to the City of Anaheim would be deafening.

It’s not that anyone thinks the situation can be “fixed” anymore; they just don’t want to admit it. Attendance is already tracking 20% off last year’s pace even with the promotions and messing about with the Annual Passes. The operational goal is to reduce operations to meet the existing customer base rather than trying to increase the number of ticket-buyers. Think of it as “Value Operation” for a park that was “Value Engineered” from the very beginning.

There are rumors that if you’re persistent enough that Disney Guest Services will still sell you the “$6 add-on” ticket promotion from last year. Basically, you buy a full-fare ticket for one park and a second ticket for $6. The second ticket can be used on a second day for the same park or for the other park on the same day. I haven’t bought this myself so the rumor has to remain unconfirmed.

I understand your pain Mr. Weiss, but Disneyland is no longer run to provide value to its guests. It’s run to provide the maximum number of dollars to the suits in Burbank.

Millionaire closing already? So is DCA really worth the bother if a person goes with family members who don't like thrill rides? I want to see Soarin' and the Grizzly River ride and someone highly recommended the movie but the rest seems to be thrill rides or clones of things in WDW. It's not looking all that appealing right now. Luckily, Disneyland itself still looks REAL exciting!

And speaking of parking, I’ve heard it’s gone up to $10 a car at Disneyland now

I don't know why but I HATE paying high parking fees. I'm so glad to be staying within walking distance!

Any more news for us newbies? :confused:

Bummer if it's true ... we LOVED 'Millionaire' in WDW and now that we're home (and our 30 day hotseat blackout period is over) we're looking forward to it at DCA.

It's possible they're thinking of dropping 'Millionaire' at both locations, since there is no network show for 1,000,000 point winners to watch a taping of.... Hope not.

There is still the syndicated show that one can watch the taping of and there will be special WWTBAM episodes next year as special promotions.

If need be, keep the attraction and drop or change the prize for 1,000,000 winners. The attraction would be fun with or without the trip to New York.

My friends' cousin won the big prize, so I know that the total prize costs around $4,000 (trip, jacket, madalon, pins, hat, polo, etc). My guess would to go to Disneyland or WDW (depending on location) for a few days, and then going to their version of Millionaire as a special guest.

So what address or email at DLR can we write to in support of WWTBAM, in hopes that positive responses might change the minds of those thinking of canning it????

I haven't had the chance to try this yet but from what I've read, I agree it seems pretty fun with or without a big prize package. I'd say just the pins alone are pretty cool.

Hopefully it's just DCA issues.

As a Californian, I'm hoping it's not a DCA issue (or WDW issue either) ... I hope it's an errant rumor!!

I hope it's not an anybody issue either and don't mean to throw any ill will DCA's way. The more successful all of Disney's venture's are the better off for all us fans :D

What I meant to get at though was that clearly DCA is struggling. And I'm just hoping that any foolish discussions about the removal of Millionaire at DCA have to do with issues specific to DCA rather than a general thinking that the attraction, in any park, is no longer workable/desirable.

Let's just hope the rumors are false. Though the fact that there's a specific date linked to this one may lend it some credence.

We were in WDW in April and every time we went to WWTBAM it was packed to the rafters, not a single empty seat in the house.

Fast forward to May/June and across the country to DCA. On May 19th we walk into a showing just seconds before it starts and there were seats not only for our group of 8 but several empty seats left over. On June 2nd we walk into a showing that maybe, just maybe was half full at best.

I can see them concerning themselves about the turn-out at DCA thus pulling it from DCA and not MGM Studios. With the low attendance at DCA in general it's no surprise that WWTBAM numbers are also low. And I would imagine it is a CM intensive attraction (I counted at least 8 in plain view, which doesn't include any "behind the scenes" folks). If they're going to shut down attractions in DCA they're going to look at (1) guest #s thru the turnstiles, and (2) labor costs to continue operating that attraction. I think WWTBAM loses on both counts.

I can pray that the summer heat pushes more folks into the A/C comfort of WWTBAM at DCA and that the higer numbers justify keeping it open after Labor Day.

‘Millionaire’ was the second panic emergency measure intended to bring guests into California Adventure. It failed in that regard and, as was mentioned, fails to even attract guests that are already in the park. The show itself opens well after the park does and normally only is performed once an hour. With the 30-day rule, there’s little repeat business to the show. But I think the bigger factor is that it’s yet another misfire in the whole California theme – what’s the point of watching a phony game show when REAL game shows tape just up the road?

Some days well over 80% of the guests in DCA are on some form of park hopper, either annual passes or multi-day passports. Many guests enter DCA, hit a few of the attractions, and then return to Disneyland. The actual hours guests spend inside the gate is frighteningly low, a statistic that is deeply concerning. People seeking air conditioning are more likely to seek it across the plaza than in DCA’s lesser attractions.

There is still no real confirmation about the DCA closing, which most people expect will be called a “hiatus” or an extended rehab.

As an interesting side note, CNN has posted an article about the version of ‘Millionaire’ that’s running on Arab television where it remains immensely popular. The article is at http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/TV/06/03/arab.millionaire.ap/index.html .

But I think the bigger factor is that it’s yet another misfire in the whole California theme – what’s the point of watching a phony game show when REAL game shows tape just up the road?

WWTBAM doesn't tape up the road ... it tapes in NYC ... hence the 1,000,000 prize of a trip for two to NYC to watch a taping of the network show (and it's currently not taping because it's been taken off the air, except for special editions that will air in the future).

I agree with you though that it was a bad attempt on their part to try to pull in more folks through the gates, with an attraction that requires quite a few CMs to operate, and it backfired....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter