DCL -2 Castaway Days or RC (new ports)?

happytime

Mouseketeer
We have currently booked with DCL for upcoming 7 night 3 days at sea, 2 Castaway Cay days and Key West this fall after Thanksgiving on the Wonder. We usually book veranda, but for this cruise we decided to try the 2nd floor ocean view instead.

Daughter would like us to change to go with them earlier, along with 2 grandsons cause kids sail free on this cruise, in October for a 7 nt RC cruise that includes Rhoatan and Costa Maya on the Harmony OTS.

The cost differential is at least $1000 less on the RC, which is becoming a major factor for our household. We are looking to retire soon and we might have to start looking at other cruise lines to accommodate moving forward into our future.

I personally love the DCL itinerary for the whole week. Looks like a wonderful trip, and while the RC ports offer are a bit intriguing, (I am) not quite ready to cancel the DCL cruise. We haven't yet been to the ports listed above for the RC cruise.

Does anyone else have this issue with the DCL prices getting out of range? Would you change or consider changing? Opinions are welcome, please, and thank you!!!!

Oh, I want to add, we are DCL lovers. We were Gold this last sailing.

Tough one. CC is fun, and free beach days are fun, but I don't know about two days there. I'm not a big fan of the outdoor grill buffets they serve on the private islands (both DCL and RCI), so there's that.

Roatan is a pretty chill place. Apparently it's a great place for snorkeling and/or scuba. We did an island tour, which I don't think was worth it, but I did like the island itself. West End seems kind of eclectic and has a small beach for you to enjoy, but you'll need to take transport there.

Costa Maya basically exists to be a cruise stop. There are some lesser Mayan ruins close(ish) by so that's not bad. The beach has had a severe seaweed problem, but I've heard that they've got it under control now. We went to the Tropicante there. Steve the owner is an Arizona native, but aside from that flaw he's a great guy and the food and drink prices are reasonable. He and the other bar owners managed to jury rig a barrier to keep the seaweed away from the beach, which was mostly successful. Taxis are relatively inexpensive, but the path to the taxis is long and winding. Even moreso than Cozumel.

We were on the Harmony in November and loved her (we love all the Oasis class ships). Not particularly huge fans of CC (it's a beach) and I totally agree with starvenger about the grill buffets on the islands - don't like them at all. We had a great excursion with Native Choice on Costa Maya - haven't been to Roatan. It sounds like you really want to stick with the Disney cruise - and if you feel that way, you probably shouldn't change because you'll comparing the differences the whole time. Also - Harmony is a BIG ship = lots of people. Some people don't like that so that is a consideration. That being said there is of course an adults only area on Harmony. It really depends what you want to do on a cruise and what you want from your vacation. There are so many cruising options because we're all different. Have a great cruise, whatever you decide.

Well I’d choose a double dip over a western itinerary all day long, but you have to weigh the value of traveling with your daughter and grandchildren. Only you know how much you want to do that or not.

Depends on your priorities... we love seeing new places so that would be an easy choice for us to go check out the new ports! If your children/grandchildren are the priority then skip DCL and enjoy your family! We have been to those ports and had a blast. Have fun!

Roatan is nice. Costa Maya is not even worth getting off the ship, IMHO. And I personally don't think I would like HOTS - way to big. BUT, spending time with family would overcome that for me - otherwise I would do DCL. So your family can't go with you on the DCL cruise?

We are also DCL lovers but sailed on the Oasis for an extended family trip and loved it. I missed rotating for dinner but we did upgrade to eat at 3 specialty restaurants. I preferred the shows on the Oasis. Overall I would absolutely sail on the Oasis again.

How old are the kids?
Harmony is great ship and has so much for everyone, but some stuff (e.g rock wall, flowrider, zip line, slides) have age/weight/height limits....

How old are the kids?
Harmony is great ship and has so much for everyone, but some stuff (e.g rock wall, flowrider, zip line, slides) have age/weight/height limits....
Thank you for your response. I had to be away from my computer for a couple days. My grandsons will be 9 and 6 at the time of sailing. The oldest of these grandsons will just have had his birthday earlier in the month.

I'm still in a quandary as to what to do. Every suggestion is spot on and have been in my thoughts exactly at some point or another. On one hand, it would be great to have what I consider a perfect cruise...DCL's 3 days at sea, 2 Castaway Cay days, and a USA port (so no one trying to make me buy something I don't want--lol)

On the other hand, there is the family fun and grandsons who continue to grow every single day!

Thank you all for your words and I certainly will weigh what is most important to make a decision. Many blessings to you all. Thank you again!

It’s also a huge jump in ship size and population - so consider that as well!

I know for me, I do not want to get much larger than the DCL Dream Class. I pondered the Anthem out of NJ because savings on airfare and hotel the night before, but my TA knows me well enough to know I would most likely be miserable on something that large. And the Harmony is larger than Anthem.

While I think being on DCL is excellent and having two days at CC is certainly a bonus, I would give that up in a heartbeat to sail with family.

I know for me, I do not want to get much larger than the DCL Dream Class. I pondered the Anthem out of NJ because savings on airfare and hotel the night before, but my TA knows me well enough to know I would most likely be miserable on something that large. And the Harmony is larger than Anthem.

I've been on the Liberty of the Seas and it was a HUGE ship. So many people. I don't like a whole lot of crowds so I avoid them usually. That is something I will have to seriously consider.

Yeah it's definitely a huge ship. Some of my friends have gone on Oasis-class ships and were completely overwhelmed because it was too big for them.

For me, I'm perfectly fine with the ship's size. I do feel that said size actually helps spread out the crowds - which is good, since we're talking half again as many people as on some of the other Royal ships - but still, 6000 people is 6000 people. Definitely something one has to consider if looking at Harmony.

I personally find the oasis class ships some of the least crowded. Yes, it's a massive size but crowds weren't an issue. Sure there's 6000 on-board, but it's 6000 on an oasis sized ship, not the magic...
And there's so much more going on that you don't run into crowds like you do on DCL - like, not half the ship is in the theatre twice and night and there aren't the crowds out side the dinining rooms because there's so many different options and timings. The WJ gets a little crowded on the first day but so does cabanas.
And the pools are much better on oasis than most other ships I've been on

To be honest when I think of a personal experience with a mass of humanity I do think of WJ on Day 1 or right after muster drill (Also Yonge St after the Jays won the World Series. But that's another story). If one is not a fan of huge crowds these two things will do you zero favours.

Apart from that, yeah, I haven't had an issue with crowding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter