DCL Confessions

Our confession is we accidentally sent a shuffleboard disc flying overboard (and it almost hit a guest below)!

We were on the Dream docked at Castaway Cay. Our teen sons were playing shuffleboard on Deck 4.

One of the boys pushed the disc down the lane and it flipped on it's narrow edge and then starting rolling. Somehow it managed to find a small slot where the Plexiglas meets the ship frame. If the disc had been flat down it would have been stopped by the glass, but because it was on it's side, it slid right through.
We ran over to look and were horrified to see a line of people queuing up below to get back on the ship. :scared: A woman yelled up to us "it didn't hit anyone!" :duck: I hate to think what would have happened if it had hit someone. :sad2:

We were concerned about getting in trouble, but realized there were cameras everywhere and they would be able to see it was an accident. A few minutes later a crew member (I think it was Christiaan) came strolling by and we explained what happened. He was surprised also, but said he'd let someone know.

This is a photo from my trip report taken on Nassau day. I used it to try to point out the area where the disc went through.

1ba65480-a157-411f-9e2d-ea9ffb7878c4.jpg

Well, I got flamed for this when I posted it on another thread. My dcl confession is that we did the Castaway Cay 5k but only did the bike loop once. My DS 10 wanted to get the medal sooooo bad and I don't run but I'm not depriving my son of it. So I went hoping to finish the whole course but halfway through, my son said he wants to go back and I'm ready to quit as well. I knew it was hot but I didn't realize it would be THAT hot! He got the medal, I told the CM I didn't finish the course but he gave it to me anyway. I know, I know, I cheated... some might tell me I don't deserve the medal. Oh well, at least my son is happy.

My understanding is the course run on the 'regular' 5K isn't exactly 5km anyway, it's a bit less (the official RunDisney event IS a true 5K), so all of us with a medal kind of cheated somewhat :P

Our confession is we accidentally sent a shuffleboard disc flying overboard (and it almost hit a guest below)!

We were on the Dream docked at Castaway Cay. Our teen sons were playing shuffleboard on Deck 4.

One of the boys pushed the disc down the lane and it flipped on it's narrow edge and then starting rolling. Somehow it managed to find a small slot where the Plexiglas meets the ship frame. If the disc had been flat down it would have been stopped by the glass, but because it was on it's side, it slid right through.
We ran over to look and were horrified to see a line of people queuing up below to get back on the ship. :scared: A woman yelled up to us "it didn't hit anyone!" :duck: I hate to think what would have happened if it had hit someone. :sad2:

We were concerned about getting in trouble, but realized there were cameras everywhere and they would be able to see it was an accident. A few minutes later a crew member (I think it was Christiaan) came strolling by and we explained what happened. He was surprised also, but said he'd let someone know.

This is a photo from my trip report taken on Nassau day. I used it to try to point out the area where the disc went through.

1ba65480-a157-411f-9e2d-ea9ffb7878c4.jpg
My son and I had the same thing happen to us, also on the Dream, but it was on a Sea day so it just dropped straight into the ocean. I was in total shock that it actually happened, we both panicked and ran away from the scene of the crime like criminals.

My daughter had a float tube get away from her at Castaway Cay and float out to sea. She felt so bad as we saw it floating out past the ship. There wasn't anything she could do about it, and I'm sure it's not the first time it's happened, but she felt really bad about it.

Here’s one: we sail on the Fantasy in April with my ILs, SIL, and two nephews. I was put in charge of the planning since it will be a first cruise for all of them. I got them adjoining staterooms, but lied and told MIL that there weren’t three verandahs in a row available so DH and I can renew our Verandah Club membership in peace on the other side of the ship. :ssst:

Ok, we'll we were cruising and I am a diabetic on an insulin pump. The pump requires these pods you attach to your body with a loaded amount of insulin to use. Now I was still somewhat new to the system and in the middle of the night, the pod malfunctioned. When they do this, they make a God awful high pitch loud warning sound, intended to wake you up from deep sleep, which it did. I didn't know how to get it to stop! I needed to get rid of it so we could all get some rest, and all I could think of was maybe a trash can in the hall or some hint close like that, but I was afraid some crew member would see and hear it and freak out, thinking it's a bomb or something and mess up the cruise for everyone, so in a moment of panic and despiration, I opened the balcony door and tossed it into the ocean! Feel bad for littering, but I really didn't know what else to do at the time! I imagine some fishes at the bottom of the ocean swimming around with this thing beeping for ever!

I am a HUGE football fan, both college and NFL. (Go Irish!!) My dh and dd don't like football. In 2017 we were cruising when Alabama and Clemson were playing for the championship. I'm not a fan of either team, actually I hate Alabama, but I wanted to see the game. I told my dh that I was feeling seasick, so they went to dinner and the show without me, while I "rested" in the cabin. And by "rested" I mean I ordered room service and watched the game. I also felt "seasick" and had to "rest" in the cabin a few times when the NFL play off games were on. We'll be cruising again this Jan when the NFL playoffs are going on. I'm a Dallas Cowboy's fan, at least I won't have to pretend to get seasick this year, :sad:.

Ok, we'll we were cruising and I am a diabetic on an insulin pump. The pump requires these pods you attach to your body with a loaded amount of insulin to use. Now I was still somewhat new to the system and in the middle of the night, the pod malfunctioned. When they do this, they make a God awful high pitch loud warning sound, intended to wake you up from deep sleep, which it did. I didn't know how to get it to stop! I needed to get rid of it so we could all get some rest, and all I could think of was maybe a trash can in the hall or some hint close like that, but I was afraid some crew member would see and hear it and freak out, thinking it's a bomb or something and mess up the cruise for everyone, so in a moment of panic and despiration, I opened the balcony door and tossed it into the ocean! Feel bad for littering, but I really didn't know what else to do at the time! I imagine some fishes at the bottom of the ocean swimming around with this thing beeping for ever!

As another type 1 diabetic on the Omnipod, just wanted to let you know that you can turn off the screeching with a paperclip, by pushing a button on the back. If you google it, there are some really good tutorials on how to do it. Living in a dorm, it has saved me a lot of stress before, as I don't want all of my hall to also think its a bomb. :)

As another type 1 diabetic on the Omnipod, just wanted to let you know that you can turn off the screeching with a paperclip, by pushing a button on the back. If you google it, there are some really good tutorials on how to do it. Living in a dorm, it has saved me a lot of stress before, as I don't want all of my hall to also think its a bomb. :)

I have a friend whose boyfriend used to use a hammer on hers to make them stop. I guess they didn't know about the paperclip trick. LOL

My kid was on the pod for a year between pumps. A screaming pod rescued us from a really boring lecture at the library, then the boys went home and smashed it with a hammer. That's the only thing he misses about the pod is smashing the bad ones, and there were a LOT. LOL.

Here’s one: we sail on the Fantasy in April with my ILs, SIL, and two nephews. I was put in charge of the planning since it will be a first cruise for all of them. I got them adjoining staterooms, but lied and told MIL that there weren’t three verandahs in a row available so DH and I can renew our Verandah Club membership in peace on the other side of the ship. :ssst:
You are so my favorite person on this thread!!

Thanks! I know now, but we were on the ship with no Google access back then! It was one of the first things I did to look that up once we got back. They are awesome outside of that one time.

Not really a confession but funny incident that happened on the Disney Fantasy in September 2012. Our family (DH, DW, DS, DS) traveled with our best friends and their 2 girls. We were asked to be part of the show on the last night of the cruise. All we had to do was come on stage and dance around. We did that fine. When it was time to leave the stage my family and friends left way before me...........I couldn't believe they got off the stage so fast. I started down and I fell all the way down the steps and twisted my ankle. Not one person in our party saw what happened but 250 of my best Disney Fantasy friends saw it. I just jumped up and started running to our seats. Afterwards, I gave my family and friends a hard time because they didn't help me get up. HOW HUMILIATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am laughing right now as I type this. :tiptoe::rotfl::flower1:

On our very first cruise (the Fantasy), my wife and I were walking down the staircase in the atrium. Somehow, I hit one of the last, few steps the wrong way and tumbled down. I wasn't hurt at all, except for my pride.

That's not the confession part....

The next day, my wife and I were again walking down the staircase. She asked me how I managed to stumble. I had planned to slowly show her how I did it when.....I did it again! Yep! I tumbled almost exactly the same way and to the same spot! We got a good laugh out of it. I even staged a picture later on of me lying on my back at the bottom of the staircase. (My wife still occasionally teases me about walking down stairs. "Now, be careful....")

I don't imagine that there's some sort of annual Christmas party where the crew shows bloopers of the guests. (Imagine if they did and THAT news somehow got out.) Still, I like to imagine that they do. And I would totally be willing to go up on stage and accept my DCL Klutz of the Year Award. Lol

On our very first cruise (the Fantasy), my wife and I were walking down the staircase in the atrium. Somehow, I hit one of the last, few steps the wrong way and tumbled down. I wasn't hurt at all, except for my pride.

That's not the confession part....

The next day, my wife and I were again walking down the staircase. She asked me how I managed to stumble. I had planned to slowly show her how I did it when.....I did it again! Yep! I tumbled almost exactly the same way and to the same spot! We got a good laugh out of it. I even staged a picture later on of me lying on my back at the bottom of the staircase. (My wife still occasionally teases me about walking down stairs. "Now, be careful....")

I don't imagine that there's some sort of annual Christmas party where the crew shows bloopers of the guests. (Imagine if they did and THAT news somehow got out.) Still, I like to imagine that they do. And I would totally be willing to go up on stage and accept my DCL Klutz of the Year Award. Lol

LOL! Funny, but could have been worse. I read about a guy who fell (I believe it was on the staircase) and broke his leg pretty badly the first night of an Eastbound Transatlantic. They medevaced him off the ship using a helicopter off the coast of North Carolina.

As a fellow type 1 I completely applaud your quick thinking! Enjoy that omniPod!!!!
ype 1

Almost got eaten alive last time for posting this, but I plan on wearing PJ bottoms to dinner! And I'm meeting people from my group and we are all having a PJ meet-up. Lol. I'm excited.
You are never too old to dress how you feel comfortable.
DW and I dress up every night of our cruises for ourselves and we have gotten many positive responses including:
I wish I had brought my prom, bridesmaid, etc gown.
I wish I had thought to dress up a little as I do not get to do so at home.
You two look so good all dolled up, I think it is nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter